Headed down to Charleston for a final trip before the baby arrives in August ( :o).  Spent Friday / Monday  in Charleston proper with two days out at Isle of Palms sandwiched in between.  Really enjoyed Isle of Palms as our aim was to sit on the beach all day and relax - we stayed at the Inn at Wild Dunes since we were only there for a few nights.  It was nice, with solid pool / beach options - though the food was outlandishly overpriced so we only ate breakfast there once (we had a 50 dollar credit) - you can do better with some of the options below:

Toast - My wife had visited Toast with a bunch of her girlfriends a few years back so as we stepped off the plane around 9am she asked that we make a beeline here.  Definitely on the touristy side, but I found the food to be good in a "low country diner" type way.  I enjoyed the "Eggs Meeting Street" - two poached eggs over crab cakes and fried green tomatoes - some advice, get the remoulade on the side.  I saw a nearby table order it and the food was positively swimming in the remoulade.  Getting it on the side allowed for a bit more balance.  My wife got their deluxe french toast which was a positively gigantic serving and was more like a bread pudding (in a delicious way).  Add in a bacon bloody mary and  a red eye coffee and it was a nice way to fortify ourselves for a long day of walking around the city.

The Ordinary - We debated on whether to try to get into FIG or to hit the Ordinary and in hindsight, I think we made the right choice.  Just a tremendous meal in a lovely old bank (we were upstairs which was definitely a bit quieter).  Started with some oysters on the half shell, broiled oysters with ramp butter and Parmesan (so good!!) and some oyster sliders - all of which were big hits.  The waitress also brought us a scallop ceviche with yuzu which I absolutely loved.   For our mains I had two of the best soft shell crabs I've ever had, lightly dressed so the sweetness of the crab jumped off the plate.  My wife enjoyed the house special (apparently they only have something like 14 orders of these each Friday) of baked stuffed lobster.  Nicely balanced with minimal "stuffing" so as to not overwhelm the lobster.  I was so full at that point that I can't remember what we had for dessert but I would wholeheartedly recommend a trip here if you're into well prepared, impeccably fresh seafood.

Poe's - First dinner out on Isle of Palms.  Quick drive from where we stayed and thought it was a perfect spot to sit outside and enjoy a nice burger.  Their beer selection was good - though they had a weird selection of "seasonals" that skewed towards the dark / heavy even in the beginning of summer.  Almost went back here a second night but decided against it.  I stuck with the burger which was giant and their house coleslaw (delicious).  My wife enjoyed the grilled shrimp tacos.

Mozzo Deli - I am admittedly a sucker for a good deli - and after our uninspiring first day breakfast at the hotel - so I decided to give bettyjoan's recommendation a try.  Very glad I did.  Picked up a breakfast sandwich for my wife and a bagel with lox, capers, onions and cream cheese for myself.  Both excellent.  Also picked up subs for lunch as we had a fridge in the room.  She (a native buffalo-ian) gave their buffalo chicken finger sub a hearty thumbs up and my fresh roast beef with horseradish cream, lettuce and tomato was excellent as well.  As mentioned in the thread - they have a variety of prepared salads etc that all looked appetizing.  Well worth the drive to Mt. Pleasant.

HUSK - Stopped here for lunch before another day of walking around Charleston - we were rewarded by a slightly less tourist bombarded establishment than I'd imagine at dinner.  Lunch was more casual than I'd anticipated with folks coming in wearing shorts which I thought was interesting.  We started with the crispy pork with peach honey mustard which was essentially what I'd imagine you'd get if you merged funnel cake and pork - it was pretty addictive.  Also had the pimento cheese spread with crostini which was delicious.  My wife enjoyed the burger - for something that has as much going on as this does - it really all works together well.  I had the glazed quail with napa cabbage - which while a small portion was perfect for lunch.  My wife couldn't resist one of their milkshakes which had vanilla iced cream, blueberry compote and a sprite like soda - also had a lot going on but somehow all worked together.  I'm glad we visited for lunch b/c I would imagine it's a bit of a mad house at dinner.

All in all a great trip - loved walking around the city and I genuinely loved the beach at isle of palms (the water was 75 degrees when we were there in late May).

On a recent visit to Charleston, SC, I visited several nice restaurants. The best of the group was a fairly new one, Cannon Green.  The restaurant has a very interesting décor (the inside of the restaurant includes a wall from an old Charleston house) and extremely good food.  They describe their food as "Mediterranean cuisine, supplemented with Lowcountry and regional farm producers' ingredients."

I hate to rave too much about a restaurant I have only visited one time, but I would rank this with the best restaurants in Charleston.   If you are going to be in Charleston you definitely should consider having a meal here.

Another restaurant I visited was Chez Nous.  This was briefly mentioned in a article about Charleston in the Post Food Section of Sept 27.   Our meal there was very good, but a bit below the Cannon Green one.

Headed to Charleston for the first time Jan 1-4 for some vacation.  Based on Tom's article and what I have seen here thinking of trying to get into FIG, The Ordinary, and Husk for our three nights (although the only reservation that is open right now is The Ordinary - I think our hotel may be able to pull some strings).  Good choices?  Should we make changes?

Headed to Charleston for the first time Jan 1-4 for some vacation.  Based on Tom's article and what I have seen here thinking of trying to get into FIG, The Ordinary, and Husk for our three nights (although the only reservation that is open right now is The Ordinary - I think our hotel may be able to pull some strings).  Good choices?  Should we make changes?

Those sound like three very good ones to me.  If you can't get into one of them, I'd recommenced replacing it with Cannon Green, which I mentioned above.

The Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan Island is very good.  I find Husk for lunch a much better value.

Also, try to check out 167Raw, very small but a great place with awesome service.

As of now have reservations for lunch at Husk, and dinner at the Grocery and Two Boroughs Larder.  Waitlisted for dinner at Husk and Fig.

If you want to get out of downtown Charleston over to a beach area, as jandres374 noted, The Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan's Island is terrific.  The GM there is Jonathan Bentley, formerly of Rustico in Alexandria.  Check out their menu, and if appeals to you, I highly recommend it.  Then stop at Poe's for an after dinner beer-nice draft selection.

I see ITT that many folks have been to the Glass Onion in prior years -- can anyone vouch for their fried chicken on Tuesday nights?  We're trying to figure out whether it's worth squeezing in a quick, early dinner there before our 8 pm flight from CHS (not tonight, but soon).

In Charleston for work a couple of weeks ago, I ate way better than I did while there for the half-marathon in 2014. Post-run sweet potato pancakes with candied pecans and a side of bacon at Eli's Table, the caramel cake at High Cotton, and the pulled pork, collards, and smoked Gruyere/country ham mac-n-cheese that I grabbed for the plane were particular highlights. High Cotton was not my choice -- that was the location for the Board dinner -- but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the shrimp and grits on the set menu was. My Manhattan was also very good. And that cake; one of those wonderful ten-layer affairs, like a Smith Island cake. I'm still thinking about it. . .

Heading to Charleston in early April for my brother's wedding.  Getting in two days early to explore with a reservation one night at Husk.  Any must try's for the second night?

In terms of exploring the city, I plan on doing Fort Sumter by boat and Magnolia Plantation and Gardens.  Any other recs?

We loved the Grocery and Two Borough's Larder.  The former is more "southern", the latter more inventive/hipster

I just found out I'm going to be in Charleston for a dinner and a lunch next week (Wednesday and Thursday). I made a reservation for Husk for lunch on Thursday. Any suggestions for dinner Wednesday (someplace I'll be likely to get a reservation at this late date (or someplace I could likely walk in and sit at the bar))? I'm open to just about anything but barbecue.

After lunch on Thursday I'll have some time before my flight home. I'm thinking of just wandering around the historic area since I've never been to Charleston before, but if anyone has any recommendations for something low key to do I'd be interested. I'd also love suggestions for food to bring on the plane so I don't end up with a crappy airport dinner.

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, Rieux said:

I really, really liked the Grocery for dinner.

Thanks! I made a dinner reservation there. Also just read about it in a NY Times "36 Hours in" article.

• Like 1

Last year, I got a great dinner of pulled pork, collards, mac 'n' cheese, and a biscuit from Poogan's Porch for the plane. I know you said not barbecue, but I mention Poogan's because 1) the food was great, and 2) they were fabulous about getting it out to me quickly after I told them I was heading for the airport.

• Like 1

Ugggggh. Change of plans. I'm really annoyed that work is getting in the way of my meals!

I was planning on Husk for lunch Thursday, but now I can't do that. Of course they have no reservation availability for dinner Wednesday. Does anyone have a sense of whether I could walk in as a party of one when they open for dinner on Wednesday or shortly thereafter? I don't mind sitting at the bar.

So if I do Husk for dinner Wednesday I can no longer do The Grocery, which is only open for dinner. (I only have one dinner and one lunch in town.) Does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere I can do a mid-afternoon lunch on Thursday or even an early dinner? I'd need someplace that stays open all afternoon. I basically have a window of 3pm-5pm for my second Charleston meal. Grrrrr. I'm flying out at 7:30pm Thursday.

Thanks!!

I got lucky as a solo walk in diner at Husk at lunch right at opening time, at least worth a shot at dinner. Husk's bar is located in a separate building next door - they serve some food there but I don't believe it's the full menu.

For your 3-5pm meal I'd highly recommend Leon's - it's a bit up King St but they serve all day and everything I had there, particularly the fried chicken, was excellent.

41 minutes ago, brian said:

I got lucky as a solo walk in diner at Husk at lunch right at opening time, at least worth a shot at dinner. Husk's bar is located in a separate building next door - they serve some food there but I don't believe it's the full menu.

For your 3-5pm meal I'd highly recommend Leon's - it's a bit up King St but they serve all day and everything I had there, particularly the fried chicken, was excellent.

Thank you for mentioning that about the bar at Husk. They don't say anything about food in the bar on their website, so I'll try for a table right when they open for dinner. Hopefully like you I'll get lucky! Presumably they save some spots for walk-ins.

Thanks also for the Leon's recommendation. That sounds like a good possibility. I'm not a huge fan of fried chicken (I like it well enough but don't get very excited about it), but I do like oysters cooked in various ways.

If anyone else has a recommendation for my 3pm-5pm slot on Thursdays I'm all eyes!

2 hours ago, dracisk said:

Thank you for mentioning that about the bar at Husk. They don't say anything about food in the bar on their website, so I'll try for a table right when they open for dinner. Hopefully like you I'll get lucky! Presumably they save some spots for walk-ins.

Thanks also for the Leon's recommendation. That sounds like a good possibility. I'm not a huge fan of fried chicken (I like it well enough but don't get very excited about it), but I do like oysters cooked in various ways.

If anyone else has a recommendation for my 3pm-5pm slot on Thursdays I'm all eyes!

For my solo meals my one time in Charleston last year, I thought Husk was fine but nothing special -- FIG was better.  And Martha Lou's was the best, and cheapest, meal I had -- but it requires a car.

8 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

For my solo meals my one time in Charleston last year, I thought Husk was fine but nothing special -- FIG was better.  And Martha Lou's was the best, and cheapest, meal I had -- but it requires a car.

Thank you! I'll have a car and will consider Martha Lou's for Thursday. It's actually not that far from where I'll be working.

Does anyone have any experience with Hominy Grill? They're also open all afternoon and could be a possibility for Thursday. Tom Sietsema seemed to like it in the 2015 article linked above.

On 3/20/2016 at 6:37 PM, Rieux said:

We loved the Grocery and Two Borough's Larder.  The former is more "southern", the latter more inventive/hipster

In rereading the recent posts in this thread I discovered that Two Boroughs Larder closed in July.

Hominy grill was o.k.  Friends love it, but I found it good, not great. Too bad about two boroughs larder, I really enjoyed it when we were there. 

• Like 1