Burger Joint, An Upscale Maryland Hamburger Chain - Founder Mark Bucher No Longer Directly Involved With The Business

A Don Rocks Challenge: Vote for your favorite to be the burger of the month for June:

1 Daniel Boulud's braised short rib stuffed burger, with tomato confit and truffles.

2 BBQ Blast, stuffed with sauce smothered smoked pork rib meat, topped with ice cold crunchy napa slaw.

email me at mbucher@burgerjointdc.com so we dont clutter the board. Voting opens now and will close on the 30th.

You all rock!

A Don Rocks Challenge: Vote for your favorite to be the burger of the month for June:

1 Daniel Boulud's braised short rib stuffed burger, with tomato confit and truffles.

2 BBQ Blast, stuffed with sauce smothered smoked pork rib meat, topped with ice cold crunchy napa slaw.

email me at mbucher@burgerjointdc.com so we dont clutter the board. Voting opens now and will close on the 30th.

You all rock!

Boulud is winning 6-2 as of this am 5/29/08

My friends and I stopped by for lunch over the weekend and ordered the Eliot Spitzer burger of the month. Unfortunately, after having paid for our order, we were informed that it was not available.

Nonetheless, the medium rare Cuban burger that I ordered totally hit the spot -- again, the quality of the beef was readily discernible. Same goes for the strawberry milkshake. My friends enjoyed their burgers too, and one of them claimed that the tzatziki sauce for her Greek burger was better than that in almost all the gyros she has ever eaten.

Stopped by a few weekends ago (after a few other stops along the way :lol: ) and had some sliders and fries. Personally I thought the sliders would have been better off not pressed thin, but the fries... the potato fries were decent - I could sense the effort, but they just weren't 100%. The sweet potato fries.. ohhh yessssssssss. I have been thinking about them for the past 2 weeks. So much so that I am going to have to go for some tomorrow.

PS - While the flexible closing hours are cool, not so sure that having the smoke alarm go off to chase out the boisterous group is exactly best practice. :lol:

I just got back. I went with my husband, he had the peperjack burger and I had the bleu cheese burger. Both were really good but I thought my blue cheese was more plentiful and the flavor was more pronounced than that pepperjack which got a bit lost in the other flavors. Husband liked it that way, he enjoys subtle things. We shared an order of sweet potato fries and vanilla shake. I decided not to name drop but I still got a burger that was nice and medium. I recomended this place and will be back to try the onion rings, those looked good too.

PS will we see the barbecue pork burger on the menu anytime soon? I missed the deadline to vote but I would've voted for that if it was was really good cue which can be hard to find around here.

I just got back. I went with my husband, he had the peperjack burger and I had the bleu cheese burger. Both were really good but I thought my blue cheese was more plentiful and the flavor was more pronounced. We shared an order of sweet potato fries and vanilla shake. I decided not to name drop but I still got a burger that was nice and medium. I recomended this place and will be back to try the onion rings, those looked good too.

PS will we see the barbecue pork burger on the menu anytime soon? I missed the deadline to vote but I would've voted for that if it was was really good cue which can be hard to find around here.

Hi, sorry to be behind this month it's the Eliot Spitzer Burger, which is the shirt rib version, and by popular 'rocks" demand we will have the "rocks" burger in July : smoked, then braised ( we're going to sous vide it) pork shoulder, pulled, hit with a tangy bbq sauce, and topped with cold fresh cole slaw" I forget who it was but indeed shoulder is the way to go on this one!

Hi, sorry to be behind this month it's the Eliot Spitzer Burger, which is the shirt rib version, and by popular 'rocks" demand we will have the "rocks" burger in July : smoked, then braised ( we're going to sous vide it) pork shoulder, pulled, hit with a tangy bbq sauce, and topped with cold fresh cole slaw" I forget who it was but indeed shoulder is the way to go on this one!

Indeed. Much much easier to to deal with pork shoulder rathern than rib meat. I am so there to try it in July!

Oh and my health concious co workers were very intrigued by the tuna burger.

Stopped in with kids tonight -

Fries rocked - Crispy outside flavorful inside. Burger - need to remember to request burger rare otherwise way overdone. Still think prices are high but everything in Bethesda is expensive.

We've been going to the Burger Joint since opening night and have tried just about every burger on the menu (including most recently the absolutely delicious lobster burger). All of them ROCK, but my favorite is still the bacon cheeseburger - its the best I've had - great quality ingredients put together just right! So, it was only fitting that after giving birth to my daughter on May 19th, that Mark delivered Burger Joint burgers and fries and onion rings and shakes and brownies and cookies to me and my husband at Sibley Hospital on our 2nd night in the hospital. All I wanted was Burger Joint burgers and Mark certainly delivered!!! It certainly satisfied my craving and still does! Cheers to Mark and BGR for opening a top quality burger joint and for celebrating our special delivery with his own special delivery!!!!

Laura in Bethesda

I am a Bethesda resident (and clearly a fan on this board of Burger Joint)- and just wanted to weigh in on the other selections as well. I had been tentatively sticking to cheeseburgers (medium really, please) until last week. My dad requested a trip to burger joint on fathers day so my family met up there. we ordered 3 burgers and split them (my sister stuck to her own plain burger, medium). We tried the cheese burger with bleu cheese, tuna burger and lamb burger. and I was totally impressed.

I've since ordered the tuna burger again- a wonderful more healthy option with grilled pineapple. Cooked medium rare. and I think I am in love with the lamb burger- I love the yogurt sauce and the sliced cucumbers.

Just thought I'd provide a few more details in case anyone was hesitant to move beyond the hamburgers as well. love the burgers, but nice to switch it up, right?

I am a Bethesda resident (and clearly a fan on this board of Burger Joint)- and just wanted to weigh in on the other selections as well. I had been tentatively sticking to cheeseburgers (medium really, please) until last week. My dad requested a trip to burger joint on fathers day so my family met up there. we ordered 3 burgers and split them (my sister stuck to her own plain burger, medium). We tried the cheese burger with bleu cheese, tuna burger and lamb burger. and I was totally impressed.

I've since ordered the tuna burger again- a wonderful more healthy option with grilled pineapple. Cooked medium rare. and I think I am in love with the lamb burger- I love the yogurt sauce and the sliced cucumbers.

Just thought I'd provide a few more details in case anyone was hesitant to move beyond the hamburgers as well. love the burgers, but nice to switch it up, right?

I continue to be a fan too. The last time I went my burger was cooked more medium well than medium rare, so I let them know and they fired a new burger while only hesitating to figure out what toppings I had specified. It was the first time I was there when they were pretty busy so I think that contributes to quality deviations, but I appreciated there willingness to make things right--and the second effort was spot on. One wish I left with, though, was that they could have worked out a way to serve serve this month's Eliot Spitzer specialty with only one patty. I realize it would probably ruin the food pun, but I just didn't want to eat that much food.

Pax,

Brian

P.S. I got the fries again recently, too, and I liked them much better this time even though I still prefer a thinner fry.

You know what, this doesn't make me change my mind about the food or the service I've received at Burger Joint, but I can't say it makes me feel comfortable: Gazette Article. In my opinion, everyone is free to make up their own minds with public information.

Pax,

Brian

I would have to agree - Hopefully his suppliers are getting cash.

I would have to agree - Hopefully his suppliers are getting cash.

Hey guys, Its mark, one should never trust what they read in the press, unless both parties are part of the story. This was cleary a slam job, no one from the gazette ever tried to contact me. We love what we do at the Burger Joint, all of our suppliers are thrilled and we are comittied to putting out great food one customer at a time.

I was there last week and I tried the sliders and I found them to be a little too cooked around the edges but still tasty and the tiny buns were excellent! Definetly superior to Matchbox. And the onion rings were great. My friend had a tuna burger and fully enjoyed it.

So now I want to go back and try the pork bbq buger. Mbutcher are we on for the Porkbbbquburger for July?

I was there last week and I tried the sliders and I found them to be a little too cooked around the edges but still tasty and the tiny buns were excellent! Definetly superior to Matchbox. And the onion rings were great. My friend had a tuna burger and fully enjoyed it.

So now I want to go back and try the pork bbq buger. Mbutcher are we on for the Porkbbbquburger for July?

INDEED As promised "THE ROCKS" burger is up and running through July 31. Hickory smoked pork shoulder, sent to us daily by Stubb's Martin (5 star bbq champion), (My motto is if I cant do it better than a champion, use the champions stuff :lol:, we finish it here on the grill in whole form, then chop it and marry it with our bbq sauce. We then top it with a creamy cole slaw (we make here).... Also avail without the BGR as a sandwich or as a slider@@@

We were there yesterday. Kay had the Bacon Cheese Burger which was quite nice. Great bacon, nice condiments. I had the lamb burger which I found a little light on the Greek flavorings, I would have liked more spice in the burger. I wouldn't order it again at $12.00, but I would order the BCB. Sierra Nevada Summerfest was nice, I do like SN. However, at 5.75 I would have liked a real glass. This is the best burger I know if in my near-by area (not a chopped steak at the bar at Ray's and better by far than that at Quarry House).

Rocks Burger was kind of a disapointment as both the burger and the pork were burned a little bit. I should have complained but since there was a long line and I had a short lunch break I just picked it apart and ate what I could.

Rocks Burger was kind of a disapointment as both the burger and the pork were burned a little bit. I should have complained but since there was a long line and I had a short lunch break I just picked it apart and ate what I could.

Soapy, I feel we're ole friends by now. Let me make it right by you. Come see me anytime. Mark

Definitely try back the Rocks burger again. Just had one for lunch, the pork had a really nice kick to it. The BBQ sauce complemented without overpowering - Enjoyed.

Seems they are trying out corn - Didn't get to to try but my only thought was - "Copycat", until last week hadn't heard of burger joints doing it.

Definitely try back the Rocks burger again. Just had one for lunch, the pork had a really nice kick to it. The BBQ sauce complemented without overpowering - Enjoyed.

Seems they are trying out corn - Didn't get to to try but my only thought was - "Copycat", until last week hadn't heard of burger joints doing it.

Hi guys we've been doing corn since June 20th, wouldn't say "copycat' would say," yum eastern shore corn nobody else has that". once that crop is done, we're done with it, until next summer.

Could it also have something to do with it being the beginning of corn season?

wise beyond years........ anyone else been to a cookout ---- burger, corn, baked beans (hmmm. maybe thats a hint for August's BGR of the month)......

Tuesday's dinner at home was burgers and corn bought at Foods of all Nations in C'ville (coolest market ever - need to post on it). Anyone who's seen Peanut demolish broccoli should see what see does to an ear of corn.

I wanted to *love* it, but just liked it. Why? Well, I got the Cuban Burger (love the whole concept of that). Thought the burger was a bit dry and lacking in flavor, you couldn't really taste the pork at all, and the bun wasn't pressed and crisp like stated. That being said, I love the whole "ham and swiss on a burger." Brought me back to the ol' Double R Bar back in the day at Roy Rogers (no, I'm not comparing the quality of burger to Roys, but it reminded me of it in concept!). Anyway, dining partner liked the Tuna Burger, as did I.....and we both liked the ff's. Personally, a bit pricey.....it wasn't really clear what was included for the $8.99 box set (and the Tuna and Cuban were not). Will I try it again? Sure...always give another chance to a new place.

Stopped by today and had a cheeseburger, fries and coke. It was my first time so I thought I would go traditional. The burger was very good. I like the bun very much. The fries were also very good. Mark was present and was a very nice host. This is nice addition to that neighborhood.

Hi all Donrockwell bloggers. Im one of the owners and yes i must be honest, the crazy dude/manager "yelling" on the cookline over the weekend. Im glad we got through it. I'm also glad to see your honest unfiltered opinions on this site. You guys should start a professional "restaurant pre-open food testing service" because your comments are honestly spot on. So here's the honest facts and details surrounding our opening this past weekend. Never in a million years, could we have planned or anticipated for the incredible reception we got from the residents of the surrounding areas. Frankly we were overwhelmed, and again truthfully we ran out of food twice between Thursday at 6pm and Sunday by 9pm. So indeed, we had to substitute a bagged fry on Saturday and Sunday morning, until our potatoes fully soaked overnight, so I forget who caught that but indeed it was true for a few hours this weekend, over salty also true, based on who we had "learning the fry station. It's a tough station as fries ar dropped in the fryer to order. Hopefully we get points for no "fast food" fry holding station where they sit under heat lamps. you'll never see that here. As for the burger meat, indeed it is certified angus, prime , dryaged ( the time period a secret, sorry):lol: and freshly ground and pattied daily. It is processed for us in Baltimore at a Glatt Kosher processing house " that was just a coincidence", but we were impressed with the committment to cleanliness and the humane standards. The buns are delivered warm, every morning by a great french baker in DC. As for the char taste, thats a tough one, it couldnt bee clearer that we use a char grill, i think burgers are like coke and pepsi, some like one way and not the other, and when is it too much. Now to talk about the "doneness" scale. My intention was to cook burgers to temperature as all purists will know the only way to enjoy a fresh burger is medium rare. with a room temperature sun ripened tomato. Unfortunatley 99.9999999 percent of our customers were groseed out by ordering a fresh medium burger and seeing pink inside. I'm guessing we got back 50 burgers on friday and saturday, with folks saying they were undercooked, when I tell you they were spot on.So i guess we can thank the chains for training the general public to now enjoy burgers cooked well done! Identify yourself to us, and let us know that you "for real" want a true medium or medium rare burger and you will love it.

As for pricing, we have woodmont grill (houstons) up the street at 14 bucks, blacks at 15 for a bacon cheeseburger Incl a small portion of fries, plus tip on both of them. Tastee Diner is up the block ans they are about 5 bucks, they have also been there for a gazillion years and own their land and bldg, so they have no rent. Dont blame us for the burger prices, blame the landlords, and the suppliers, for making it very very very hard to make money in the restaurant business. Here are the facts, wholesale prime beef is a fortune, and we dont and never will use fillers, like soy. i bet none of you know that there are two local popular burger stores. that add soy to their patties, to cut down the cost, ( you can never tell) by eating it, but its dishonest in our book) you see some chains hold their price point at say 5 bucks, and when the price of beef goes up they simply up the soy, not the price. its absolutely 100% true. As for the "cardinal sin" of putting the soda behind the counter, we offer free refills, and even cherry and vanilla flavoring, problem is we are on a publc park,and it was cokes suggestion, as it hopefully will cut back on line jumpers trying to fill their starbucks cup with lemonade.

Lastly, I actually remember one of you in, after the car repair story. I remember asking you if things were good with your meal, next time you come in, know we are Don Rocks fans < and really lay on the criticism, or the praise, when your here. We are really working to be the absolute best at what we do and remain true to burger purists around the area. Lastly, as for the place being "white enough" there's Jimmy Hendrix and Prince on the wall, cmon dude.... :lol:

So next time you're in ask for Nate or Mark, and we'll make sure it's perfect. life's too short to have an average burger......

I stopped in today for lunch and left disappointed. You are charging over thirteen dollars for a decent size cheeseburger, french fries and twelve ounce coke. (Could it have been sixteen ounces?)

1. There is a real question in my mind if dry aged prime beef makes as flavorful a hamburger as does, say, freshly ground chuck or a mixture of ground beef. There is no question that your flavor is distinctive; juicy, too. But for myself I'm not so sure that I like the "taste" as well as other burgers that I've had.

2. I didn't like your french fries. Yes, they were good. Were they as good as Five Guys or the original, Thrashers on the lower end of the boardwalk in Ocean City? For me, no. Do they approach Central? For me, again no. I just didn't like their particular taste and texture.

3. The roll was indeed excellent. But the tomato was sliced about an eighth of an inch thick and really couldn't be tasted on the burger.

4. I'm not a fan of your Mojo sauce. I thought it was too overpowering for the burger. (Hot Shoppes Mighty Mo sauce or In-n-Out's "spread" are my preferences.)

5. The burger was really small-I was almost shocked at the size of it for eight dollars. Cooked, it looked like a 1/3 of a lb burger; I had just expected something bigger for the price.

6. Yes, your soft drinks are free refills. But because you are so busy (I am certainly alone in not loving your burgers) it is time consuming to walk up to the counter and get a refill. The result is $1.69 for a twelve ounce drink that frankly seems expensive. To be honest my reaction to the small size of the soft drink caused me to question the value of the hamburger regardless of the cut and grade of beef. Why don't you serve a larger cup to begin with? Regardless of the stated availability of refills it is something of a chore to go back to the line at the counter and request a second cup.

7. Grilled onions are not grilled onions. I asked for them and confirmed that I was going to be served grilled onions when I noted the check saying "onions" and not noting they were grilled. These were the equivalent of a thin half slice of red onion that spent a couple on minutes on a grill somewhere. There was nothing to melt into the cheese-not the flavor I expected of melting onions, oozing cheese and a juicy hamburger.

And this last is the real problem: your's is a nontraditional steakhouse burger that for many will be far superior to a more traditional hamburger. Your taste is very different from, say, In-n-Out. For me I much prefer the latter.

I am certain that you will be enormously, enduringly successful. The Post and a host of national publications and media love you as do many of the people on this board. I just prefer a different, perhaps more traditional hamburger. I find that I am also less willing to spend thirteen + dollars, preferring a more mass market price point unless I'm in a different type of restaurant.

For reference points on hamburgers that I feel are among the best I've had: 1/2 lb burger at Wilmington, DE original Charcoal Pit on rt 202 http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1363). This place which has been known for its half pound burger since the early '50's also makes an authentic Hot Shoppes Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake as shown in one of the photos. Note that the photos of the hamburger show a four ounce burger, not the eight), Kincaid's Grocery in Ft. Worth http://www.kincaidshamburgers.com/history.php , In-n-Out http://www.hollyeats.com/In-N-OutBurger.htm , Cassell's in L. A. http://www.hollyeats.com/Cassells.htm

But that is me.

I stopped in today for lunch and left disappointed. You are charging over thirteen dollars for a decent size cheeseburger, french fries and twelve ounce coke. (Could it have been sixteen ounces?)

1. There is a real question in my mind if dry aged prime beef makes as flavorful a hamburger as does, say, freshly ground chuck or a mixture of ground beef. There is no question that your flavor is distinctive; juicy, too. But for myself I'm not so sure that I like the "taste" as well as other burgers that I've had.

2. I didn't like your french fries. Yes, they were good. Were they as good as Five Guys or the original, Thrashers on the lower end of the boardwalk in Ocean City? For me, no. Do they approach Central? For me, again no. I just didn't like their particular taste and texture.

3. The roll was indeed excellent. But the tomato was sliced about an eighth of an inch thick and really couldn't be tasted on the burger.

4. I'm not a fan of your Mojo sauce. I thought it was too overpowering for the burger. (Hot Shoppes Mighty Mo sauce or In-n-Out's "spread" are my preferences.)

5. The burger was really small-I was almost shocked at the size of it for eight dollars. Cooked, it looked like a 1/3 of a lb burger; I had just expected something bigger for the price.

6. Yes, your soft drinks are free refills. But because you are so busy (I am certainly alone in not loving your burgers) it is time consuming to walk up to the counter and get a refill. The result is $1.69 for a twelve ounce drink that frankly seems expensive. To be honest my reaction to the small size of the soft drink caused me to question the value of the hamburger regardless of the cut and grade of beef. Why don't you serve a larger cup to begin with? Regardless of the stated availability of refills it is something of a chore to go back to the line at the counter and request a second cup.

7. Grilled onions are not grilled onions. I asked for them and confirmed that I was going to be served grilled onions when I noted the check saying "onions" and not noting they were grilled. These were the equivalent of a thin half slice of red onion that spent a couple on minutes on a grill somewhere. There was nothing to melt into the cheese-not the flavor I expected of melting onions, oozing cheese and a juicy hamburger.

And this last is the real problem: your's is a nontraditional steakhouse burger that for many will be far superior to a more traditional hamburger. Your taste is very different from, say, In-n-Out. For me I much prefer the latter.

I am certain that you will be enormously, enduringly successful. The Post and a host of national publications and media love you as do many of the people on this board. I just prefer a different, perhaps more traditional hamburger. I find that I am also less willing to spend thirteen + dollars, preferring a more mass market price point unless I'm in a different type of restaurant.

For reference points on hamburgers that I feel are among the best I've had: 1/2 lb burger at Wilmington, DE original Charcoal Pit on rt 202 http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1363). This place which has been known for its half pound burger since the early '50's also makes an authentic Hot Shoppes Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake as shown in one of the photos. Note that the photos of the hamburger show a four ounce burger, not the eight), Kincaid's Grocery in Ft. Worth http://www.kincaidshamburgers.com/history.php , In-n-Out http://www.hollyeats.com/In-N-OutBurger.htm , Cassell's in L. A. http://www.hollyeats.com/Cassells.htm

But that is me.

Joe H, Thanks again for coming in and trying the "joint" out. Obviously food prefernce is one of indivualized taste, and for that i applaud your ability to know and stay true to what you personally like. Mass market burgers are a different deal, there's california types ( smal patty usually 3-4 oz's, simple white bread bun no seeds, and typically a sauce of some kind, burger is usually griddled. ( think in and out) On the other end of the country in New York, its a diferent ball game, smaller burger, 2-3 oz's, grilled, on toatsed potato with seeds, bun, with l-t-o, and no sauce ( think shake shack). Now, if we step into mass production, like say red robin, hardees, mc d's, roy rogers etc. you;re talking frozen beef. Not to say thats bad, as austin powers says " it's just not my bag", or as some reviewers have said "the quarter pound burger is one to measure all others against, I mean Mcdonalds sells about a kazillion of them daily" he too has a point. So taste is personal, I applaud you coming in, Thanks, and next time try the Ahi, greek or the Turkey, they will knock your socks off. When your in, there should be a few of my staff roaming the dining room to refill your 16 oz drink cup, I have them do that at lunch and dinner, ( somehow they missied you, sorry). I think both mr landrum and I agree on this one point, aged beef is one of life's true taste pleasures. This must be deep rooted in Human DNA, the buttery, nutty, tatse that "dry" aging impairs is unmatchable. It's also not for everyone,it's mucho expensive for us to buy it, and I guess that's why Outback is so successful.

Ate there last night with my 2 teenage sons. My 1st impression was expensive, 55 for three of us and we only had one fries.

Each son ordered a double burger which they deemed very good and filling. But at 12.99 it should be.

They shared a fries because they thought for those proces they would get a real portion. Not

I had the AHI Tuna which was good and a summerfest.

Did not know if they refilled the sodas, so my sons sipped their sodas carefully.

We left satisified but still hungry. Another fries and a 2nd summerfest would have made me happier.

My son who is about to leave to college said this was above the price range of a college student.

BTW-These are growing, athletic kids who do eat a bunch. They felt that 5 guys was 1/3 of the price, I felt better here as the Ahi burger did not kill me.

Stopped by for lunch yesterday for the first time.Great burger, really enjoyed the brioche bun and cooked to a perfect med-rare (although having ready past comments, I made sure to emphasize when ordering that I wanted the real deal with a pink center). They are now offering a whole portabello mushroom cap on top of your burger for a bit extra (less than a buck). I tried the mushroom, thinking it was more like cut up sauteed mushroom, but when I discovered the reality (due to my misunderstanding) I had to pull it off the burger. It was too big and was only half-grilled with a bit of seasoning which while good, didn't add much to the burger. This is my taste though. I like my burgers simple so I opted for just grilled onions, which were indeed nicely grilled with a generous serving under the patty. So after some additions of ketchup and mustard (yeah - 3 kinds available- yellow, gulden's and grey poupon), I was all set and licked my fingers when done. I also had an order of fries which I thought was a pretty big portion for one person. I liked the extra thick, real potato flavor, but what was missing was salt (I even overheard other tables complaining too). Now I don't like MickeyDs drench in salt, but fried food needs some salt and it needs it right when it gets out of the fryer - so my later additions only went so far.

Overall - really good burger, pretty good fries. Next time, I'll have to try the really good looking onion rings or the sweet potato fries (nice to have options). Thanks Mark.

Also for people upset about prices, I think it all depends on perceptions of this place. It looks like a fast food place with counter service, but it offers much better quality food made to order. So if you think about the prep and ingredients I think it is worth $7-$9 for a really good burger, the same amount you'll pay for in any restaurant and yet you don't need to leave a tip here.

I stopped in last week for a quick bite.

It's not an earth-shattering revelation-inducing experience, but it is a damn good burger. Fries were also quite good. What stood out about them, as KeithA noted above, was their "potato-iness".

My only complaint is that they need to be more aware of how much bass the sound system is pumping out. I was famished so I didn't really notice until I was half done eating, but eventually felt my innards reverberating to the beat.

the obama versus the mccain burger was totally rigged; regardless of politics, the only thing to do was go for the 10oz southwestern burger with spicy peppers. honestly, they'd do well to keep that burger around.

And the service is always good, but it's worth a mention. very friendly, and always happy to do a refill.

the obama versus the mccain burger was totally rigged; regardless of politics, the only thing to do was go for the 10oz southwestern burger with spicy peppers. honestly, they'd do well to keep that burger around.

And the service is always good, but it's worth a mention. very friendly, and always happy to do a refill.

HI TG! Actually Obama is winning, although not by much I think at last count which was Saturday 233 to 212... We may keep the McCain around and simply call it The Southwestern after the election. I need ideas for the October BGR of the month ? Go for it!

Dropped by the Burger Joint last night after doing some work in the nearby Obama campaign office. Ironically, I chose the McCain Burger (due to its reputation here on the DonRocks board) along with fries and a soda.

The service was good and timely. I enjoyed the burger, especially that nice peppery kick, though it was a little too salty for my tastes. The fries were seriously good and I would have liked more. Overall a nice meal.

The Wegman's in Fairfax has the Thumann's Beef and Pork in Natural Casing dogs in the case across from the deli counter. Damn those are good dogs. Now I just want to find the Push Cart Style.

-------------------------------

The hotdog on the Obama Burger at Burger Joint has an authentic Vienna Beef Dog from Chicago, (natural casing, a bit sweet and a "snap" when bitten into. Along with the traditional neon green relish, super peppers, tomatoes, pickles and celery salt.

-------------------------------

The hotdog on the Obama Burger at Burger Joint has an authentic Vienna Beef Dog from Chicago, (natural casing, a bit sweet and a "snap" when bitten into. Along with the traditional neon green relish, super peppers, tomatoes, pickles and celery salt.

Yeah but is it worth thirteen bucks? Do I get to count part of that as a campaign donation? :lol:

Yeah but is it worth thirteen bucks? Do I get to count part of that as a campaign donation? :lol:

Hey pool boy. "always wanted to say that!" Ill give you the dog for free, and you can make your campaign contribution as you desire........ But you have to show up with zinc oxide on your nose.........

an authentic Vienna Beef Dog from Chicago, (natural casing, a bit sweet and a "snap" when bitten into. Along with the traditional neon green relish, super peppers, tomatoes, pickles and celery salt.

The Thumann's dog was much better than a Vienna Beef dog, even my wife had to admit that (and she is a huge fan of the Vienna dogs). Traditional as they might be, I still don't get the Chicago toppings, why not just eat a frickin' salad.

The Thumann's dog was much better than a Vienna Beef dog, even my wife had to admit that (and she is a huge fan of the Vienna dogs). Traditional as they might be, I still don't get the Chicago toppings, why not just eat a frickin' salad.

You know you bring up a very intesting point, obvioulsy the Chicago dog is " bar none" the official street food of Chicago, obviouly the relish, etc is a regional flavor favorite, what is dc's official street food, and please dont say Half Smoke........

You know you bring up a very intesting point, obvioulsy the Chicago dog is " bar none" the official street food of Chicago, obviouly the relish, etc is a regional flavor favorite, what is dc's official street food, and please dont say Half Smoke........

Medium rare serving of Triple Spacing...

rats

Nice plug on WTOP this morning about the OBama verses McCain burger wars. Click

BETHESDA, Md. -- At a local burger joint, people are voting with their stomachs, and it's a very tight race

BGR, the Burger Joint, has introduced two burgers named after the two major presidential candidates, and are inspired by where they live.

The Obama burger is inspired by the Chicago-style hot dog with relish, pickles, tomatoes, peppers, celery salt and topped with an authentic Vienna beef hot dog.

The McCain burger has a southwest theme with poblano and chipotle peppers, black bean salsa and pepper jack cheese.

"We made a very clear decision," says Mark Bucher, the owner of BGR, "a conscious decitions to give them both the exactly same amount of real estate on the sign and people come in for Obama and says 'it's clearly rigged the McCain burger sounds better' and the McCain people come in and say 'it's clearly rigged the Obama burger sounds better.'"

Sales of both burgers are tallied at the end of day. Bucher says they've sold about 500 of the burgers so far, and that it's a tight race.

Both burgers will set you back $12.99, and will be available through the first week of November.

(Copyright 2008 by WTOP Radio. All Rights Reserved.)

Today's lunch - McCain Burger, Fries, Diet Coke. Sticker shock at almost $19 for a lunch that reads like it should be $10 or so, but it was really good.

I went with 2 coworkers and all 3 of us had the same thing, with burgers cooked med rare. Really enjoyed the burger, cooked a little closer to medium than med rare but it was really juicy anyway. It could have been a little spicier, especially based on the description, but that's a minor complaint.

OK I went recently...twice. Now I don't eat for a week.

They make fresh burgers and nice fries. Their onion rings look amazing but I have not tried them yet. The roasted garlic fries option is not worth it. The bacon cheeseburger is quite good. The bacon being the best part, but their special sauce also helps make the burger. The only problem is they do not ask you how you want your burger made and what you get and what I get, even if ordered at the same time is different and thus uneven. Still, even in they well-done your burger it is still good. The fries are thick and very potato-y. I also tried their 'Cuban' burger. It was good, but I thought not really worth it I was hoping for pulled or fall apart pork on top on the burger but it was a slab. Not bad, but just not as good as a bacon cheeseburger. They also have milkshakes there, but I have no experience there yet. The burgers are also fairly big and a bit expensive ($8-$13). They even have an Obama burger and a McCain Burger for the campaign season.

Definitely recommended if you're in the area and hungry for some fast but good eats. Also, I got the burger, fries and a coke for under $10.

I just tried the Obama burger, election day being tomorrow and all, and I wanted to try it before it was gone.

I'd say it was a tasty combination, but the dog does get kind of lost in the burger. Eaten separately, it is good (the dog). Overall, the burger was particularly messy, but that does not bother me too much, but it might bug some so I thought I would mention it. I still prefer their bacon cheeseburgers, overall. It should be noted that the burger was a perfectly execute medium rare, which was a treat.

Now, I do not want to start any sort of political discussions here, but I thought it was a fun aside to mention that they are posting their voting results on a board to the left of the counter now. At lunch today, it stood at McCain 864 to Obama's 832 (er, make that 833 now). When I asked, they said it was slightly out of date and needed to be updated (at close of business today).

Far from wanting to advise anyone of which burger to choose and "vote" for, and also not telling people they should or have to vote here (I have no interest in the restaurant, other than wanting to grab a burger there from time to time), but I thought I should mention the standings in case any of you wanted to "vote" with your stomachs to get over there to do so soon!

As a final aside, coworkers in my office have indicated that another joint around the corner, Crossfire, is as good, or (in their opinion) arguably better and for less money. I believe further investigation is in order so that I can come to my own conclusions.