Burger Joint, An Upscale Maryland Hamburger Chain - Founder Mark Bucher No Longer Directly Involved With The Business

You Better You Bet I would eat lunch here every day if they could promise that Pete Townsend would be playing when I got there. :D

The Bethesda location thankfully does not seem to have the service issues that Spout Run has, at least not when I'm there. Today I got the lunchbox deal: burger, fries and a soda. Burger was perfect medium with correct toppings. I am the pickiest bitch on Earth when it comes to french fries in that they must be piping hot, crisp, and well salted. Normally I won't touch them after they've cooled, but Burger Joint's still taste good after sitting for a few minutes. I only wish I could do something with the 3/4's of them still left. Damn that is a huge portion. :)

You Better You Bet I would eat lunch here every day if they could promise that Pete Townsend would be playing when I got there. :D

The Bethesda location thankfully does not seem to have the service issues that Spout Run has, at least not when I'm there. Today I got the lunchbox deal: burger, fries and a soda. Burger was perfect medium with correct toppings. I am the pickiest bitch on Earth when it comes to french fries in that they must be piping hot, crisp, and well salted. Normally I won't touch them after they've cooled, but Burger Joint's still taste good after sitting for a few minutes. I only wish I could do something with the 3/4's of them still left. Damn that is a huge portion. :)

I thought the fries were excellent upon my first visit to the Old Town location.

I bow to your self control with the fries! My leftover fries (and pizza crusts) get wrapped in a napkin and surreptitiously placed in my purse for my puppies :) .

Last weekend was non-stop physical labor with little sleep in between, so I went to the Dupont Circle location for the first time last Sunday when too tired to face a stove--just before the rain hit D.C.

Mostly impressed and very full afterwards; only had visited the Bethesda location previously.

Service was great, especially since I didn't realize those little black squares on everyone's tables were beepers that told us meals were ready to pick up; apparently, the person who took my order didn't realize I was a novice and/or I was too out-of-it when I placed my order to listen. Someone at the counter came to fetch me as a result.

However, this was probably why my fries were less than stellar--very disappointing after Bethesda. Nonetheless, they were replaced with a perfect batch. Burger itself was cooked exactly the way I wanted it. Wish I had ordered the Wellington, though, since I asked for mushrooms to be added and the pre-mixed mushroom sauce for that burger didn't quite go with my other toppings.

Few suggestions or requests. 1) I've said this about Five Guys, too, and am sympathetic to ML's original decision not to include fries on the menu at Hell's Burger. Serving of fries is good for two, not for one. Please make a smaller option for just a little less money, if price factors into decision to be that generous. 2) It's summer. Asparagus is a springtime thing, better straight with a little squeezed lemon than dusted w powdered parm. There's a farmer's market right behind the kitchen door. Grill some zucchini. Or do what Blimpy's (Ann Arbor) does and dip big slabs in batter and deep-fry it, man. 3) I know Tom S. loves the pig-piled burger, but why not pulled pork, straight-up, on a bun with vinegary coleslaw? 4) No growth hormones, good. Possible to introduce a no-antibiotic, strictly pasture-grazed (no feed lot) option? Maybe bison instead of beef if you prefer your current source of meat.

David and I went Saturday afternoon and split "The Burger" with bacon, American cheese and a side of rosemary garlic fries.

It was fantastic and more than enough for two people to share.

We sat outside and overheard some folks sitting in front of the Italian Store mocking the gourmet burger craze and the price. --ugh hipsters!

Anyway, I loved the decor and their tie-dyed T-shirts and most of all that grilled burger aroma!

I'm a little nervous of all the pounds we are going to pack on when they put one within walking distance in Clarendon!

:(

While they wait 45 minutes for a sub...

To be fair, I have endured some pretty healthy waits at the Spout Run BGR, especially when my order includes multiple milkshakes. Their system of having the cash register person take all the orders and make all the milk shakes does not seem to work too well when they get busy.

I would not have minded the 15 minute wait for my lunch today if my veggie burger had at least been heated up enough to melt the cheese. I didn't discover that it was cold until I got back to my office, and there's no time to take it back. Ick. Fries were just fine though.

This thread reminded me of my experience last Friday evening at the Spout Run location. There were still at least 4 tables eating and it was 9:55pm. (Thanks new watch!)

I was turned away with a "I'm sorry, but we're closed now" sentence. Nothing else said. Just a shoulder shrug. I thought something was amiss when the cashier walked away as soon as she saw me. The woman who uttered the sentence was wearing a pink shirt, as opposed to the other employees wearing black.

My only thoughts were: a. You're not really sorry and b. there's no way you can leave by 10pm closing with all the side work and tables still eating. Of course, then c. "please, next time put a sign on the front door" came to mind, but oh, wait, you all don't care!

*sigh* Time to look for a new sweet potato fries dealer....

This thread reminded me of my experience last Friday evening at the Spout Run location. There were still at least 4 tables eating and it was 9:55pm. (Thanks new watch!)

I was turned away with a "I'm sorry, but we're closed now" sentence.

I can understand the disappointment but honestly, I don't think this response should be unexpected five minutes before closing time. It's not McDonald's. Real burgers take time to cook. Kitchen staff have lives too.

Any time my procrastination takes me somewhere within that last half-hour of closing, my first question is "is it too late to be seated?" or "is the kitchen still open?" Maybe for a place like BGR where eating doesn't take as long, fifteen minutes' advance might be more reasonable for last call (and I'd expect deep-fryer items wouldn't be available) but if a meal can't reasonably be finished by closing time (if one has been declared), then the diner is relying entirely on the generosity of the restaurant IMHO.

I can understand the disappointment but honestly, I don't think this response should be unexpected five minutes before closing time. It's not McDonald's. Real burgers take time to cook. Kitchen staff have lives too.

Any time my procrastination takes me somewhere within that last half-hour of closing, my first question is "is it too late to be seated?" or "is the kitchen still open?" Maybe for a place like BGR where eating doesn't take as long, fifteen minutes' advance might be more reasonable for last call (and I'd expect deep-fryer items wouldn't be available) but if a meal can't reasonably be finished by closing time (if one has been declared), then the diner is relying entirely on the generosity of the restaurant IMHO.

True. My hasty post did omit that I was pretty emotional that night, I was craving sweet potatoes fries all day after keeping little man company and the unapologetic sorry got to me, but the fact that they once served me at 9:50pm just made me assume + circumstantial appearances. Regardless, the wise ol_ironstomach is, well, wise. Thanks for the calm down post!

True. My hasty post did omit that I was pretty emotional that night, I was craving sweet potatoes fries all day after keeping little man company and the unapologetic sorry got to me, but the fact that they once served me at 9:50pm just made me assume + circumstantial appearances. Regardless, the wise ol_ironstomach is, well, wise. Thanks for the calm down post!

That is something that makes me nuts. Does the closing time sign mean you are kicking everyone out at 10? Or that you are serving the last meal at 10? The answer seems to vary from place to place. Be consistent!

Allrigjt. Sorry for the delay. You are right. Any Customer that shows up at any time before closing time must be greater and served!! I've kicked some rear ends over this!! Thanks for the heads up. I encourage everyone to go to spout run and teach Greg my manager a lesson, at 9:56 pm!! Also yea yes yes I am proudly supporting local entrepreneurship and we sell Giffords ice cream at BGR for our shakes of the month and will be expanding to chocolate,vanilla an strawberry on the next few weeks!

That is something that makes me nuts. Does the closing time sign mean you are kicking everyone out at 10? Or that you are serving the last meal at 10? The answer seems to vary from place to place. Be consistent!

It seems to me that as a customer, I only want to know what is the last minute that I can come in. So, closing at 10 should mean I can walk in shortly before that. I try to avoid that, but was recently turned away from a place 40 minutes prior to closing time, so you know what, just follow your damn schedule.

It seems to me that as a customer, I only want to know what is the last minute that I can come in. So, closing at 10 should mean I can walk in shortly before that. I try to avoid that, but was recently turned away from a place 40 minutes prior to closing time, so you know what, just follow your damn schedule.

It depends whether or not it's a sit-down restaurant where you might dine for two hours! I think that more and more, you'll see two sets of closing times listed (at least on the internet) ... something like:

M-Sa 11:30 AM - 10 PM (kitchen closes at 9 PM)

A conscientious restaurant will always honor their posted closing time, but weary staff members hate it when people come in just before, especially on slow nights.

Allrigjt. Sorry for the delay. You are right. Any Customer that shows up at any time before closing time must be greater and served!! I've kicked some rear ends over this!! Thanks for the heads up. I encourage everyone to go to spout run and teach Greg my manager a lesson, at 9:56 pm!! Also yea yes yes I am proudly supporting local entrepreneurship and we sell Giffords ice cream at BGR for our shakes of the month and will be expanding to chocolate,vanilla an strawberry on the next few weeks!

On Tuesday, my wife and I showed up at the Old Town location at 9:35, and were greeted warmly, and the food was excellent. I am curious about what is happening with Gifford's and the shakes - whoever made the strawberry ice cream that was used in my shake deserves a medal, I am not sure if there is a better combo in the world than a great burger, salty fries, and a delicious shake.

I had been meaning to try one of these burgers and got my chance in Old Town, the weekend before Christmas. The place was mobbed. Took forever to get through the line and then a half-hour more to actually receive my burger.It was worth it however. Delicious juicy burger and brioche bun. Bacon was hard as a rock however and inedible. Turns out the reason for the crowds was that everybody (except me) had a free coupon only good that day. Apparently the night before at a Wizards-Heat game, some guy ate the 9lb. burger. As a result, the entire stadium got a free coupon only good the next day--the day I was there. I heard the chain didn't think the guy had a chance so made no special preparations (like bringing in more staff or food). Hence the big long lines and wait.

The family hit the Springfield/Burke location Sunday night. It was pretty crowded, meaning we had to wait a few minutes for a table to become available. I had the Cuban and the wife had the Wellington. We were both very pleased with our burgers. I think they're the perfect size. They don't leave me hungry, but also don't make me feel horrible when I finish a whole burger. I wasn't really impressed with the fries. Nothing really wrong with them, but they didn't blow me away. Adding the parmesan on top was a nice touch, though. The double chocolate milkshake was good, too.

I'm generally disappointed with kids meals at restaurants. At BGR, they do a good job with the quality of the food, but the portions seemed really small. It worked for my 3 year old, but not so much for the 7 year old. When I have to pay nearly $20 for all three kids to eat, I like when there's a good amount to take home for another meal. Not a huge deal, though. The kids don't mind. They enjoyed their dinners and actually did take a little bit home for a snack later. It's their cheap dad who minds.

Also, one kid ordered the grilled cheese instead of the sliders. It didn't appear that they touched a grill. I could tell that something had begun the melting process of the cheese, but that was about it. A couple tiny buns with a couple tiny pieces of cheese in it. Again, not a big deal. The kid loved it. But, again, seems like a rip off to their cheap dad.

Overall, a great place and we'll go back plenty. I just grow cheaper and cheaper the more expensive my kids get.

Been meaning to post something positive for awhile, but wouldn't you know it, it takes the negative to get me motivated. I am a Ray's Hell Burger worshipper. I want that on the record.

I have been to the Old Town outpost six times now, over the past three or four months. The first three times I went on a Saturday around noon with the kids. The weekend rush starts about 1215 or so it seems and we beat it each time. The service was outstanding. Everyone there had a terrific attitude, determined to go the extra mile to make the customer leave happy. The grill chef is particular had a winning personality.

The food didn't take very long (though I echo the comments earlier on this thread about the delay with shakes which, nonetheless, are well worth the wait). Burgers are really really good and cooked to your specifications. Medium rare is medium rare. The bun is the real winner. Sesame seeded brioche, but not overly sweet. The toppings are fresh and crisp like they should be. The kids sliders are good, maybe -- to nitpick -- a bit dry sometimes. The fries the first couple of visits were fine, but nothing special. I think they've changed. Now, they are really really good. After the first three visits, I was recommending this place to Alexandria friends.

I went for a weekday lunch in January and all of the good things I said above were the same. Plus, they got a new high tech drink machine. It dispenses like a million different drinks and different flavors. Want a vanilla cherry coke? It can do that. Kid wants a watermelon hi-c? I think that is there.

Now, the negative. The last two visits have been on weekday evenings and it is different. The first time, there was the same cheery, customer pleasing demeanor. I had called ahead and came at the designated time, but waited a really long time (while the spouse idled in the car outside with the kids). Then, my burgers came out but one of them was given to another customer in error. Before it could be repossessed, she had opened it and started to bring it to her mouth for a bite. At that moment, they got her attention. She brought it back. One of the employees starts to rewrap it and put it in my bag. Another employee makes sure that doesn't happen. They cook a new burger and I have to wait a long time again. I would probably just chalk this visit up to the fact that, in life, mistakes happen.

Except the second visit was worse. The special burger this month is "the wiz." Like a philly cheese steak. The burger has cheese wiz on it! Who doesn't want that? (Ok, I expected more support on that. Moving on.) My wife calls to order and asks for that burger. The woman answering says "huh?" Then my wife explains that it is the burger of month. She hears loud conversation: "Do we have a cheese wiz burger?" More discussion. She comes back on the phone: "You don't really want that burger tonight." What did that mean? I don't know, but when someone says that, you take their advice. Still, that is strange. So we stick with the usual.

I get to BGR to pick up the burgers and employees are just kind of standing around doing nothing while the very short line moves slowly. The cashier is making a shake and everyone else working there is just staring at us. I don't know how to describe it, but the attitude was just kind of apathetic. Everything is ready this time though.

I get home and my wife's burger (ordered with nothing on it except blue cheese) has a mound of mushrooms. I have had them before and I like them. She doesn't. If you don't want them, you need a paint scraper to get them off of your burger.

All and all, disappointing. Based on one bad experience (giving them a mulligan on purloined burger mishap), I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I wonder if maybe the weeknight crew needs a little more management. Or are standards slipping overall?

I get to BGR to pick up the burgers and employees are just kind of standing around doing nothing while the very short line moves slowly. The cashier is making a shake and everyone else working there is just staring at us. I don't know how to describe it, but the attitude was just kind of apathetic. Everything is ready this time though.

All and all, disappointing. Based on one bad experience (giving them a mulligan on purloined burger mishap), I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I wonder if maybe the weeknight crew needs a little more management. Or are standards slipping overall?

Well nevermind then...

Visited the Springfield location about a month and a half ago. Went relatively early to beat the normal lunch crowd.

Very good burger, but in hindsight I wish I'd passed on getting the tomato, lettuce, and the soft worm-like onions. The bacon was also strippy and ham-like, but that's my own fault for not asking for it "crispy," which I'll remember on a return visit. The fries were excellent.

My advice: *PLEASE* add diced raw onion, shredded lettuce, and more thinly-sliced tomato to the menu. Diced raw onions give a satisfying crunch that don't pull out as you pull away, shredded lettuce doesn't act like a sheet of ice when mixed with condiments, and thinner tomato slices would lead me to actually *consume* them over than be forced to extricate it from the bun and eat it on its lonesome or pitch them. The addition to the chalkboard of a "please specify crispy or chewy if ordering bacon" might go a ways. As it is, I think when I go back I'll just order a "purist" burger.

"under advisement". But I'm going to go nuts on the bacon preparation with my guys. It should be crispy all the time! as for onion ( just ask) well donor for you as well as thinly slice a tomato.

when is the Potomac location opening? We can't wait!!!!

Just got back from the new BGR in Potomac. They did a nice job on the renovation and it has lots of seats. Burger wise we were disappointed. The bun seems different than the BGR in Bethesda that we usually frequent, The grilled onions was one "grilled onion" a big ring that had barely touched the grill. The cheese was barely melted and was not the same consistency. Fries and shakes were the same. We got our food pretty fast since they have a ton of people working here and 2 cashiers. We will try it again after they are open for a few eeks. Maybe this is just first week kinks.

I'll buy your next BGR !

I, too, had a poor experience. B)

Ok, so I was just craving a good burger and was mildly disappointed with the Southwestern. I just wasn't thrilled with the bbq-like texture. Maybe if it's what I was expecting, then I'd have been all over it. I'm sure there's something in this thread about the texture, but I haven't really kept up with this thread. Really good flavor, though, and the onion rings were good as usual.

My wife's brother and his family were in town. We spent the day in DC walking from one end of The Mall to the other (and back) and my wife and I convinced them we should go for burgers. Since we have three kids and they have two, BGR was the clear winner over Ray's since BGR offers good options for kids. So, we hit the Old Town establishment. Everyone loved their burgers and it successfully capped off a long, tiring day.

I, too, had a poor experience. B)

Ok, so I was just craving a good burger and was mildly disappointed with the Southwestern. I just wasn't thrilled with the bbq-like texture. Maybe if it's what I was expecting, then I'd have been all over it. I'm sure there's something in this thread about the texture, but I haven't really kept up with this thread. Really good flavor, though, and the onion rings were good as usual.

From July, 2010:

The "Southwester" is a lovely melange of flavors, but its texture is closer to a sloppy joe than it is to a burger, so it's not a good way for a first-timer to evaluate the place. Fries are excellent, though some of them were longer than any Yukon Gold potato I've ever seen.

This sandwich reads so good on the menu. But the texture isn't a burger, or at least isn't anything like the style of the other BGR burgers. Not sure if there's a good way to get that message across on the menu.

Day 2 of operation, and at dinner tonight, the only (minor) complaint is a little inconsistency in the burger temps. Of the 4 MR burgers at our table, 2 were a little closer to medium, 1 medium, and one a bit past medium, but everyone gave the thumbs-up to juicy and delicious, and didn't want to ask for a replacement.

The lobster roll was not only very good, but nearly twice the size of the one I had at Freddy's the other day, at the same price.

And the "Cuban" burger? Off the hook...

The lobster roll was not only very good, but nearly twice the size of the one I had at Freddy's the other day, at the same price.

Had this in Lyon Village last night. My only complaint is they used three slider rolls as the bun.

Had this in Lyon Village last night. My only complaint is they used three slider rolls as the bun.

Yeah, it's not a traditional Maine lobster roll. They don't use the split-top bun, the mayo is on the bun not binding the lobster, there's a leaf of lettuce holding the whole thing together, and I'm pretty sure that they buy the lobster meat as opposed to fresh, but it's still tasty and a bargain at $15.

And the "Cuban" burger? Off the hook...

My favorite so far. Pretty sure I've had the Greek, Cuban, Southwestern, and Wellington. Cuban's the winner so far. I guess some day I should just get a good ol' cheeseburger or bacon cheeseburger.

Following up on my earlier, somewhat mixed review above with an unabashedly positive one. I went back on Saturday to BGR Alexandria. A to-go order was perfect and easily survived the ten minute drive home. The temp on the burgers was dead on and the fries were still hot. Service was cheerful and quick. Only complaint is the high tech drink machine I swooned over in my post above was out of almost everything. I think I need one of those at my house.

OMG, just had a takeout order of lobster, sweet potato fries and onion rings from BGR Potomac. The lobster roll is three joined slider rolls, a TON of lobster, a touch of mayo, and a little romaine. It was fabulous! How can they give you so much lobster for 15 bucks? I should have weighed the meat, but it looked sooo good, I couldn't wait. I'm estimating a pound of claw and knuckle meat-I kid you not. The sweet potato fries and rings were great too, not greasy at all. BTW, I am not associated with this place at all, just a happy neighbor.

Hi Fellow Rockwellians,

So tonight I went over to the Springfield location for dinner since my wife was off at one of those interminable Girl Scout meeting, and I knew that I'd otherwise have to cook for myself, and while I like my own cooking, I'd rather cook for others.

The Springfield location was nearly empty at 7:40 when I walked up to the ordering station. There were a few tables taken outside, which was understandable since it was a spectacular night. After looking at the menu, I decided to start with the basics, so I had the burger with cheddar cheese and bacon. I also had the onion rings and a soda. When I spoke with the young woman who took my order, I specifically discussed what I meant my "medium" including the part about being pink in the middle. I also asked for extra onions, but didn't realize that to get fresh onion rather than grilled, I'd have to ask specifically. Next time I'll know.

When the burger was finished and I took my first bite, it was clear that the "medium" and "pink in the middle" that we'd discussed meant "beyond well done" to the cooking staff. It was gray, dry, tough and not particularly warm. The cheddar was cold from the fridge. I wonder if perhaps the cook lost focus, realized that the burger had been on too long, and then didn't give the cheese time to melt?

The sandwich was one of those good ol' sloppy burgers with stuff squeezing out when you eat it. In other words, just like what I make at home, except that I don't overcook mine. Also, I make sure the cheese melts. The onion rings are those inch-thick kind that some people like, and some don't. I have mixed feelings about onion rings cut that way, but the menu does warn you. They're Vidalia onions, so the flavor is quite mild. The thickness helps, because otherwise you'd never be able to taste them. However, the heavy load of excess frying oil doesn't help. These were really greasy, not very crispy rings. I dried them with a napkin, which helped.

The burgers are actually quite good, considering the level of doneness. But you really don't get the taste that you should get given the quality of the beef. Overcooking them is a disappointment because beef this good should taste good. When it's well done, it loses a lot of its taste. Maybe on my next visit I'll provide written instructions on the definition of "medium." I know the order lady understood what I wanted, but the kitchen didn't. I'm not sure how you overcome that.

Now, a couple of other items that aren't directly food related.

The Web site is broken. When I tried to enter customer comments, I got page after page of Java error codes. I found them interesting reading, but I think that BGR needs to send the webmaster to french fry school and find someone who actually monitors the operation of the site and fixes things when the code breaks. They also don't provide an e-mail address so that you can send comments that way when the comment form is broken, and leaking Java errors all over the floor. How hard could it be to turn on comments@bgrtheburgerjoint.com ?

I'd like it if they'd clean the tables. I hate it when I get squashed tomato all over my iPad.

I'd like it if they'd add WiFi. I get that you have to wait 15 minutes for a burger, and you should. Great burgers aren't fast food. But WiFi would help pass the time. Heck, even McDonalds has free WiFi.

And along with fixing the customer comment system, they need to fix the BGR VIP card registration. It's also broken.

The burgers have great potential, and they have great ingredients. It's too bad that things don't work well in execution.

Wayne Rash

If you had time to wait 15 minutes for a burger, and contemplate sitting longer and working on a WiFi connection, surely you had time to return your burger to the counter and ask for a new once since yours was overcooked?

And given how crowded the locations are, I don't *want* them to get WiFi - encouraging people to sit longer is exactly what I don't want in Bethesda and Potomac.

If you had time to wait 15 minutes for a burger, and contemplate sitting longer and working on a WiFi connection, surely you had time to return your burger to the counter and ask for a new once since yours was overcooked?

And given how crowded the locations are, I don't *want* them to get WiFi - encouraging people to sit longer is exactly what I don't want in Bethesda and Potomac.

No comment on this one

Go Heat!!!!