Grace Garden, Szechuan on Annapolis Road in Odenton - Chef Li Comes From Hunan Manor in Columbia - Closed Nov 4, 2019

Haven't had a bad dish here. The wok breath is really evident on dishes like the Beef Chow Fun, which is just a level above any other place in the area I've tried. The Dan Dan Noodles taste like lunch at home, but the pork is crisped in a way that would be impossible in any home kitchen. The sauce that came with the Black Pepper Beef Short Ribs was so good we took it home by itself, tangy with a peppery kick. Even the chive flowers simply sauteed with garlic were excellent. Sichuan Fish Filets and sauteed bok choy were just OK. The flavor of the Sichuan Steamed Pork with Rice Powder, and particularly the potatoes underneath, was great, but the last time around the pork belly was almost entirely fat, which was a little too rich.

Haven't had a bad dish here. The wok breath is really evident on dishes like the Beef Chow Fun, which is just a level above any other place in the area I've tried. The Dan Dan Noodles taste like lunch at home, but the pork is crisped in a way that would be impossible in any home kitchen. The sauce that came with the Black Pepper Beef Short Ribs was so good we took it home by itself, tangy with a peppery kick. Even the chive flowers simply sauteed with garlic were excellent. Sichuan Fish Filets and sauteed bok choy were just OK. The flavor of the Sichuan Steamed Pork with Rice Powder, and particularly the potatoes underneath, was great, but the last time around the pork belly was almost entirely fat, which was a little too rich.

Is the Beef Chow Fun make using dried beef? I almost prefer it that way, as using cuts such as fatty brisket can be just too gloppy for my taste (and generally served in Hong Kong style restaurants rather than Szechuan-influenced places). I'm curious to know, and I hate that Grace Garden is so far away from me. :(

Is the Beef Chow Fun make using dried beef? I almost prefer it that way, as using cuts such as fatty brisket can be just too gloppy for my taste (and generally served in Hong Kong style restaurants rather than Szechuan-influenced places). I'm curious to know, and I hate that Grace Garden is so far away from me. :(

I'm not sure what cut the beef is, but I don't think it's dried and it seems to be the same kind as you get just about anywhere else. This is my little sister's favorite dish, and although she's not an adventurous eater, she mentioned that the Chow Fun here was noticeably better than anywhere else, and the beef tasted more "real." I think Chef Li was originally trained in Cantonese cooking, then later in Szechuan cuisine, so there is an interesting combination of styles here.

1 hour ago, Toogs said:

dammit I knew I forgot something, it was the eggplant.  I don't understand what a fish noodle is but it was the best thing we had.

That is just another reason to force yourself to go back. :)

That said, those fish noodles are amazing. :)

Just went for lunch. Lot more time in Ho Co, because of new lady friend, but there are some lovely places here. 

Man, is this place "hole in the wall". Cozy, though. People seemed to be regulars and very comfortable in there. Large round tables mostly, good for large groups and ordering everything. We got what was mentioned very frequently here - fish noodles, crispy eggplant, and tofu pockets in spicy sauce.

The fish noodles were really good! Didn't know what to expect. It's ground up fish and shrimp made into noodles. How do you do that?? Also with some ginger and scallions. Delish. The crispy eggplant was fried up crispy and had a General' Tso-ish sauce on it. Very good. Was thinking was going to be like Chang's eggplant, but definitely different. Didn't love the tofu pockets. She doesn't really love tofu, and I was hoping this was one of those tofu dishes that convert people, but not really. Super soft. Sauce was mildly spicy (ha!). 

Great little place. Saw stuff coming out that I wanted to know more about. Need to come here with at least 2 more people and a big appetite.

Unfortunately the beef chow fun we ordered the other day lacked wok hei and the portion size seemed slightly meager.  That said, all the other dishes were excellent, including the crispy eggplant and the Szechuan steamed pork (good balance of meat and fat IMO).  Service was also super-friendly.  We're really lucky that there are so many as good or better options in Rockville, but won't hesitate to return here if/when in the area again.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

We're really lucky that there are so many as good or better options in Rockville, but won't hesitate to return here if/when in the area again.

I think about 3-4 years ago, GG was *better* than most of the good places in Rockville, but has since slipped a notch. It's still on my list of places to hit in the area, and I still unreservedly recommend it to locals, but there have been enough weak spots on my meals in the last couple of years that I'm not usually willing to make a special trip here.

Several years ago I ordered the Phoenix Purse. I remember thinking it was tasty and the purses were beautiful (hence the need to order ahead, I'm sure), but I probably would choose something else if I were to go to the trouble of ordering ahead again. There was nothing wrong with the dish, but to me it wasn't all that exciting.

6 hours ago, dracisk said:

Several years ago I ordered the Phoenix Purse. I remember thinking it was tasty and the purses were beautiful (hence the need to order ahead, I'm sure), but I probably would choose something else if I were to go to the trouble of ordering ahead again. There was nothing wrong with the dish, but to me it wasn't all that exciting.

Agreed. I have found a lot of their order ahead stuff to be not any more special than the rest of the menu, but often priced beyond what I would consider reasonable.

Just had a feast there.  Thanks for all the info in this thread.  Order-ahead stuff was a mixed bag but overall worth it.  The whole fish with rice powder was probably the standout of the meal.  Tea smoked duck was good, and unique, but not mind-blowing.  The purses had a mix of reviews.  I preferred the broth and the baby bok choi more than the purse itself.

Finally had the amazing fried eggplant.  Sweeter than expected but awesome.    Braised pork belly with mui-choy I realized I had had before, and while good, it doesn't come close to the same dish at Chinatown Express by verizon.  Loved the tendon, also a repeat for me, some can't do the texture so more for me!  seasonal veg was a simple dish of chive blossoms and was an unexpected hit.  Fish noodles never fail and we should have had 2 orders for nine people, and left out the only relative disappointment, the pepper and salt pork chops.  Nicely fried and juicy but not a lot going on.

I realized it's much closer to my house than I thought, so I will be back soon and often.  More fish and fish noodles in my future.

I wish they served beer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nelumbo said:

I have heard from some Baltimore folks that Chef Li is retiring and they are not renewing the lease. The last day open will be early next week (Nov 4 or 5).

I just called and they confirmed that Thursday is their last day!  This is so, so sad (but I'm happy for Chef Li and his wife, who've been working very hard for many years).

The fridge is almost cleaned out, so tomorrow night (Tuesday) is the last dance for Grace Garden--the most unusual, and most nights the best, Chinese restaurant in the DMV for the past 14 years.  Very sad to be losing such an idiosyncratic, family-run place with a master at the helm.  (The meal we had tonight might have been the best ever.)  

25 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

The fridge is almost cleaned out, so tomorrow night (Tuesday) is the last dance for Grace Garden--the most unusual, and most nights the best, Chinese restaurant in the DMV for the past 14 years.  Very sad to be losing such an idiosyncratic, family-run place with a master at the helm.  (The meal we had tonight might have been the best ever.)  

That’s preposterous.  Grace Garden has some good dishes but it was never at the level of Peter Chang.  Let’s not get carried away with overenthousiastic praise.  

15 hours ago, Toogs said:

I just called, they are open.  The website has a message saying Mr and Mrs Li no longer own it.  No clue about the presence of fish noodles.

These two statements are mutually exclusive: "They are open."  "Mr. & Mrs. Li no longer own it."

Someone else might have bought the name and the fixtures, but the restaurant that is the subject of this thread is, I assure you, no longer open for business.

Although very rare, there were nights when I saw another chef manning the kitchen or helping out. I would guess that the restaurant passed over to them when the Lis retired, although recent Yelp reviews indicate that the menu has indeed changed "somewhat."