New Orleans, LA

FunnyJohn

20 hours ago, cocobinga said:

Taking my first trip to NOLA next month and this thread has been a wealth of information. Herbsaint, Peche, Brennan's, Marjie's Grill, Saint Germain are definitely on the to-eat list.

I haven't seen much talk about Toups Meatery - how is it these days?

Wherever you go in the city, be aware that you need to either show a vaccine card, or proof of a recent negative Covid test to dine indoors. Same for indoor music venues, museums, etc.  

• Like 3

We walked and walked and walked including 4 miles one way from CBD to Domilese's to try some of the best shrimp po boys in New Orleans.  These are the results.  Johnny's in FQ - bland, needed salt.  We had shrimp and soft shell, both were under seasoned and under dressed.  When we finally arrived at Domilese's, we were greeted with a sign that says closed due to staffing shortage.  :( So we went to the closest po boy shop nearby, Guy's.  Guy's shrimps were better seasoned but overcooked.  So after ubering back to FQ, we went to Lil Dizzy's.  Lil Dizzy's is legit.  They were recommended by our food tour (more about that later) and there were loads of Asian diners.  If Asian diners are willing to eat in Treme, it's probably because the food is good.  We had one catfish and one shrimp.  The shrimp was crispy but tender, and well seasoned.  The catfish was tender but had that distinctive catfish flavor (I've had Des Allemands catfish that didn't have that catfish flavor, which I thought was wonderful).  

We also tried multiple muffalettas.  First stop, Central Grocery.  They too were closed because of roof damage from Ida last year.  But they sell their premade muffalettas next door at Sidney's liquor store.  The sandwiches are vacuum sealed, and since the only dressing is the oil from their olive salad, the bread never gets soggy.  It was good, but I believe the amount of cold cuts on there were much less than I remembered from years past.  We also hit up Napoleon House.  That sandwich was freshly made, and warmed, so better than Central Grocery's.  We also had the muffaletta at Cochon Butcher.  This is a good sandwich but not a real muffaletta.  Instead of using Italian cold cuts, they use ham and bacon and possibly other meats.

We also tried 2 Cuban sandwiches, 1 at Manolito and 1 at Cochon Butcher.  Both were just so so.  The best sandwich at Cochon Butcher that we tried is their Porchetta Cheese Steak, made with cheese, caramelized onions, and almost BBQ like porchetta.

We did do one food tour with Culinary Backstreet.  I've done multiple tours with CB before and there was always more food than you can possibly eat.  In this case, they just didn't have enough food stops.  We had (1) praline and beignet with praline inside, (2) muffaletta from CG, (3) roast pork banh mi, (4) hot sausage po boy, and (5) some terrible jambalaya.  It was informative but the food offerings were not up to par.

The dinners were at Cochon, R'evolution, and Peche.  We generally ordered interesting small plates and lots of oysters.  All had some amazing dishes.

P.S. we actually finished the shrimp po boy at Lil Dizzy's.  No other sandwich was fully consumed.  We walked probably 10 miles a day.  I actually lost 1 lb on this trip despite eating and drinking all day for 5 days and 4 nights.

• Like 8

On 9/14/2022 at 11:12 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

We walked and walked and walked including 4 miles one way from CBD to Domilese's to try some of the best shrimp po boys in New Orleans.  These are the results.  Johnny's in FQ - bland, needed salt.  We had shrimp and soft shell, both were under seasoned and under dressed.  When we finally arrived at Domilese's, we were greeted with a sign that says closed due to staffing shortage.  :( So we went to the closest po boy shop nearby, Guy's.  Guy's shrimps were better seasoned but overcooked.  So after ubering back to FQ, we went to Lil Dizzy's.  Lil Dizzy's is legit.  They were recommended by our food tour (more about that later) and there were loads of Asian diners.  If Asian diners are willing to eat in Treme, it's probably because the food is good.  We had one catfish and one shrimp.  The shrimp was crispy but tender, and well seasoned.  The catfish was tender but had that distinctive catfish flavor (I've had Des Allemands catfish that didn't have that catfish flavor, which I thought was wonderful).  

We also tried multiple muffalettas.  First stop, Central Grocery.  They too were closed because of roof damage from Ida last year.  But they sell their premade muffalettas next door at Sidney's liquor store.  The sandwiches are vacuum sealed, and since the only dressing is the oil from their olive salad, the bread never gets soggy.  It was good, but I believe the amount of cold cuts on there were much less than I remembered from years past.  We also hit up Napoleon House.  That sandwich was freshly made, and warmed, so better than Central Grocery's.  We also had the muffaletta at Cochon Butcher.  This is a good sandwich but not a real muffaletta.  Instead of using Italian cold cuts, they use ham and bacon and possibly other meats.

We also tried 2 Cuban sandwiches, 1 at Manolito and 1 at Cochon Butcher.  Both were just so so.  The best sandwich at Cochon Butcher that we tried is their Porchetta Cheese Steak, made with cheese, caramelized onions, and almost BBQ like porchetta.

We did do one food tour with Culinary Backstreet.  I've done multiple tours with CB before and there was always more food than you can possibly eat.  In this case, they just didn't have enough food stops.  We had (1) praline and beignet with praline inside, (2) muffaletta from CG, (3) roast pork banh mi, (4) hot sausage po boy, and (5) some terrible jambalaya.  It was informative but the food offerings were not up to par.

The dinners were at Cochon, R'evolution, and Peche.  We generally ordered interesting small plates and lots of oysters.  All had some amazing dishes.

P.S. we actually finished the shrimp po boy at Lil Dizzy's.  No other sandwich was fully consumed.  We walked probably 10 miles a day.  I actually lost 1 lb on this trip despite eating and drinking all day for 5 days and 4 nights.

Wow, y’all really packed some stellar eating (and walking) inside a short trip!

Lil Dizzy’s is the real deal- and not because we live a block away but because it’s that good. My favorite fried chicken, gumbo and hot sausage po boy in the city- which is saying a lot given the competition. 

My go to hangover cure: Lil Dizzy’s hot sausage po boy, dressed, add American cheese, no fries sub 2 piece dark meat fried chicken (yes I’ll gladly pay the up charge) and a cup of gumbo- that and nap will cure whatever ails you.

Norma’s in mid city probably has the best Cuban.

What did y’all have at Peche?

I have been planning to get back to New Orleans for far too long now. Plane tickets purchased. Lodging booked. And now, time to plan food. And music. And think about tourist spots to hit.

Herbsaint, because the  boy will NOT miss it when in New Orleans. We have had a recommendation for Atchafalaya - will have to try it. So many other possibilities!

So looking forward to this. We haven't been anywhere except for visiting parents and one weekend at the beach since this all began.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, saf said:

I have been planning to get back to New Orleans for far too long now. Plane tickets purchased. Lodging booked. And now, time to plan food. And music. And think about tourist spots to hit.

Herbsaint, because the  boy will NOT miss it when in New Orleans. We have had a recommendation for Atchafalaya - will have to try it. So many other possibilities!

So looking forward to this. We haven't been anywhere except for visiting parents and one weekend at the beach since this all began.

What are y’all looking at food wise?

On 10/23/2022 at 1:44 PM, frogprince said:

What are y’all looking at food wise?

Well, that's the problem. So many options, so little time. He will eat anything at all. I don't do seafood. (or cilantro) He LOVES seafood. I do not love Japanese food. When we travel, we always aim for things that are hard to get here, or simply excellent examples of what they are. We also look for a mix in price and formality - can't afford upscale every meal. Also, we enjoy dives!

The best meal I think I have ever had was a birthday dinner several years back at Topolobampo in Chicago. The boy was shocked at how good it was. He occasionally tells me that he thought it would be good, but didn't realize it would be the best ever. I was just overjoyed at how good it was. (Not cheap though - but soooo good.) 

And of course, many beignets will be consumed.

15 hours ago, saf said:

Well, that's the problem. So many options, so little time. He will eat anything at all. I don't do seafood. (or cilantro) He LOVES seafood. I do not love Japanese food. When we travel, we always aim for things that are hard to get here, or simply excellent examples of what they are. We also look for a mix in price and formality - can't afford upscale every meal. Also, we enjoy dives!

The best meal I think I have ever had was a birthday dinner several years back at Topolobampo in Chicago. The boy was shocked at how good it was. He occasionally tells me that he thought it would be good, but didn't realize it would be the best ever. I was just overjoyed at how good it was. (Not cheap though - but soooo good.) 

And of course, many beignets will be consumed.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/eat-drink/article_9acbb550-eda8-11ec-9b1c-eb73bc004667.amp.html

Depending on how far from the beaten path you want to go, this Iraqi restaurant is plain but comfortable and clean, in a strip mall, and has some of the best food I’ve ever eaten in my life. It is in Metairie, which is between the airport and the city, so it would be a great stop either on your way from the airport into the city, or from the city back to the airport. I know they close one day a week, so check to make sure before you make a special trip. Checks the boxes of food not easily available elsewhere, and not expensive. No alcohol served. 

I spend quite a bit of time lately in New Orleans (and Baton Rouge) for my job. Peche is always a favorite - I love the baked drum and we always order oysters. Almost anything grilled is great. Also ate recently at Herbsaint - it was very good but still prefer Peche. Enjoyed the Scalibut at GW Fins - also had a local fish (can't remember) in a Thai coconut based dish. Tried the newish (I think) Briquette - very much enjoyed the oysters Rockefeller and Blackened Redfish. Sylvain has always been a favorite but have not been there post-Covid. It has the prettiest patio.

And I cannot recommend enough - French Truck coffee. Walked quite a bit from my hotel on my most recent trip to get a cafe au lait and a New Orleans iced coffee to go for later in the day.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So. Not so many fancy meals yet - lots of music that kept us distracted until late.

We have reservations for Bayona later tonight though, after some more music, and are planning to hit the bar at Herbsaint late afternoon or early evening tomorrow before heading to more music. Had lunch at Dooky Chase yesterday. First time, and it was good. Although I note that if you put evil coconut into your bread pudding, it should come with a warning.  Oh and we had a nice brunch at ruby slipper cafe. And snacks at Coops. And of course a few beignet stops.

There’s never enough time. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 12:44 PM, lizzie said:

I spend quite a bit of time lately in New Orleans (and Baton Rouge) for my job. Peche is always a favorite - I love the baked drum and we always order oysters. Almost anything grilled is great. Also ate recently at Herbsaint - it was very good but still prefer Peche. Enjoyed the Scalibut at GW Fins - also had a local fish (can't remember) in a Thai coconut based dish.  

Just got back from NOLA last weekend. First time there and I wholeheartedly agree to go to Peche - now! The food was excellent - we started with the hushpuppies and the kale/spicy peanut salad special which were great and a nice combo. Then the baked drum was divine - one of the best dishes I've had in a long time anywhere - and nicely inventive with the crispy rice balls. Apple strudel for dessert was pretty good too. Service was friendly and great. We also had a celeb siting of Willem Dafoe. Apparently the place is a real draw for everyone - our waiter told us of at least 3 different other movie stars who had dropped by recently. That being said we got an online reservation pretty easily about 2 weeks out. Really great. Very jealous of a friend who lives nearby.

We also had a nice dinner at GW Fins. They have several items on the menu where they use up the non-filet leftover pieces of fish in creative ways. I liked the Fins tempura (see pic on their website but not listed on accompanying menu - https://gwfins.com/menus/dinner-menu/appetizers/) where they do a korean fried chicken treatment to the tender fin meat. Very good. I had the John Dory entree which was on top of a bed of grits that paired nicely with the sauce. My wife liked her flouder with mini gnocci. We also enjoyed the great hot biscuits from the oven (they bring around a pan to serve directly from). We also had the cornbread with blackeyed pea succotash which was very nice too.

One morning we went to the Ruby Slipper branch in the Garden District for breakfast. Much quieter than the locations closer to French Quarter. It has a huge menu of every type of breakfast item you could think of and then some including many with creole twists. My smoked salmon eggs benedict on biscuits were good and messy. It is not a very fancy place but food is hearty and good. I'd go back but would probably see what else is available on my next trip.

Lunches were at Bayonna and Shaya. Bayonna is a lovely location with a really pretty courtyard (apparently best to call and request that - we ate inside which was still nice). Service was kind but a bit kitschy with the upsell. I started with the baked goat cheese toasts with mushroom madeira sauce - it was tasty but I think they burnt the bread a bit and choice of bread wasn't the best - tasted like a seeded healthier bread whose flavor was zapped out of it by toasting too much. For main I had the recommended smoked duck PBJ sandwich - it was on the same toasted bread as the app which I think is why I only kind of liked it. The duck as advertised was cooked in the peanut butter sauce and had some pepper jelly with it. All of the other items overpowered the flavor of the duck. I wouldn't get this dish again. My wife enjoyed her salmon but didn't think it too special. We may have ordered wrong here although I apparently ordered two of their most popular dishes. 

Shaya was really good. Big fluffy Israeli style pita fresh from the wood oven in the back. Great creamy hummus with fried chicken pieces (no bones), all of the other salatim were good too especially the baba. We ate so many salatim that we split the chicken schnitzel sandwich with harissa mayo - very good and better when you add some of the celery slaw that comes on the side.

We were at a disadvantage going in since we do not eat most of the traditional creole food (no shellfish or pork), but we found some great eats still.

P.S. - the NOLA airport is very nice (revamped a couple of years ago) and has a bunch of good national chain but even better a bunch of local food options. The MoPho - pho place in the middle of the B gate part of the terminal hit the spot with a pretty good and quick beef pho (rare sliced flank and herb beef mini meatballs) - not the best pho - but really good for airport food.

• Like 6

I made my annual holiday visit to my family in New Orleans. The Friday after Thanksgiving we had lunch at Clancy’s, in an old wooden building on annunciation Street uptown, close to Audubon Park and Zoo. This is traditional, old-school, New Orleans dining, with bread brought to the table in a white paper sleeve, and tablecloths, and men wearing sports jackets at lunch. It’s not a tourist place, and it doesn’t get the love or attention of newer and fancier places. But if you are in New Orleans, and looking for a true New Orleans style meal, including an excellent homemade turtle soup, check it out. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

Clancy's is on my list for next time! In October we had a sweetbreads appetizer at Bayona and the waiter gave us some names of other NOLA restaurants that do them well. Clancy's stuck in my mind. The menu looks great! Is a jacket required or just not unexpected?

There were certainly people at lunch without jackets, but almost as many with. 

• Like 1