Just back from Corolla, NC and can again reiterate my assertion that Bad Bean Taqueria and Fin & Claw (both in Tim Buck 2 shopping center) are worth a visit.

Bad Bean does simple, Cali-Mex (as they call it) food but executes it very well. My go-to orders are black beans & rice, guacamole, fish tacos, and shrimp tacos. The beans & rice are great. Tons of flavor in the beans. The guac is creamy, punched up with lime and salt, and addictive. The fish and shrimp tacos both have a nice mix of textures (crunch via jicama slaw with nice fluffy tortillas) and tons of flavor. They just opened a second location in Kill Devil Hills so they must be doing something right.

Fin & Claw also does a nice job as the only white tablecloth restaurant in this area worth the trip. Fried calamari with peppers and spinach as a starter. I had fantastic grouper with morels, gnocchi, wax beans, and a peppery arugula & fennel salad. My wife's scallops were equally good. Super friendly service, welcoming owner. Entrees in the mid $20 range which is probably higher than average for most places down there but the quality of the food and the preparations make it one of the few places worth the price down there.

Morgan's Tavern in New Bern, NC has good food and reasonable prices. I was there on a Thursday evening and the place was full even though the town seemed deserted. A decent assortment of draft beers were $2/each from 4-7pm and the salmon entree and smores dessert were both great. The restaurant is in the tiny "downtown" area and within walking distance of many neat looking, historic buildings including the Pepsi birthplace. A colorful ice cream place called Cow Cafe is around the corner and also worth a visit.

If you're around Morehead City, NC, I recommend Miss Holly's ice cream shop in Newport NC. Its about 20 minutes west of town and sits almost all alone on the outskirts of Newport. The ice cream is fine but the real reason to go is Miss Holly who has made herself a fun little shop with lots of games and 50's music where all the neighborhood kids know her by name. She's super nice and we had fun playing checkers and people-watching. Go around 3-4pm after school lets out -- reminds me alittle of Mayberry R.F.D.

Spouter Inn is on the waterfront in Beaufort NC and is a good place to relax on the outdoor deck and watch the boats go by. Its quiet, with a long view of a nature preserve across the water and Fort Macon in the distance. We had the prime rib and the scallop entrees which were ok, meaning not the best ever but I'd do it again. The staff was very friendly and did not rush us off, so we could enjoy our beer and wine and the peaceful view. Their chocolate cream pie was very fresh though not as sweet as I'd prefer. The restaurant is on the main waterfront street so perfect for walking off a nice meal. Pay a dollar at the Visitor Center for a map of the Old Burying Ground, there's some neat stories there.

Captain Bill's, and the Sanitary Fish Market, are 2 landmark restaurants in Morehead City NC. They've both been around awhile, they're both on the waterfront, and they both have friendly staff. Captain Bill's has a window where you can ice cream to go and that looked popular. I ate at both restaurants and though they both are probably ok for an economical, super casual lunch spot, I suggest that if you walk around you could definitely do alot better.

Stayed in Kill Devil Hills a couple of weeks ago for some delightful weather and a bit of the Duck Jazz Festival. The standout on our trip was again Blue Point in Duck. We went twice for lunch. First time my wife had a panko-encrusted baked flounder on a bed of grits and I had a shrimp-crab salad poboy. Dessert was our best peach dish of the season, a peach and plumb cobbler. Second lunch was a salad for my wife while I had what they called a Strata. I would describe it as something like a savory bread pudding with gruyere cheese. Outstanding! And the cobbler again.

We went to The Pearl at around mile 6.5 on the Virginia Dare road. Nice setting but a bit pricier than we expected, even though we'd been warned. Our roasted tilefish was great, but at $34 (we should have asked) a bit high. Fois Gras was also high. $22! We had better at the Oval Room recently, for more like $14. (We should ask when the specials are not priced on the menu. I should have learned the hard way recently at Jerry's Seafood in Lanham when I had the fish of the day, orange roughy with lump crab meat on it, for $40! Perfectly fresh and well cooked, but a bit of sticker shock! Live and learn. I thought it would be in the $25 range).

In Manteo we went to 1587 again, in the Tranquil House Inn on the waterfront. My osso bucco was made with a pork roast. Very tender but a little lacking in spices. Great setting! The surprise was Adrianna's for lunch, also down in the historic district. I had a pork pot pie special that was fantastic! And only $9. I guess it offset the surprise at The Pearl.

Stayed in Kill Devil Hills a couple of weeks ago for some delightful weather and a bit of the Duck Jazz Festival. The standout on our trip was again Blue Point. We went twice for lunch. First time my wife had a panko-encrusted baked flounder on a bed of grits and I had a shrimp-crab salad poboy. Dessert was our best peach dish of the season, a peach and plumb cobbler. Second lunch was a salad for my wife while I had what they called a Strata. I would describe it as something like a savory bread pudding with gruyere cheese. Outstanding! And the cobbler again.

I've been to Blue Point once or twice, absolutely fabulous both times

Mr. MV and I (and our dogs!) were in Corolla last month and had a handful of meals outside of cooking at the house.

While googling around for recent reports, I happened to find high praise for a restaurant in Kill Devil Hills,The Pearl. It's tucked in the back of a rather nondescript hotel, The Sea Ranch, and you'd never know it was there. If you did, you might pass it up simply from the digs it resides in. But, it was more than worthy of a 25 mile drive for the food, staff and location, which is right on the beach. The Pearl offers outdoor seating, too (the damn flies and gnats drove us inside after our apps).

I started with lobster bisque which had a deeply-flavored stock and a few little gougeres for garnish.

thepearllobsterbisque-1.jpg

Mr. MV had a Normandy-style French onion soup, made with cream and cider and served with a Gruyere crouton.

thepearlonionsoup-1.jpg

My main was mahi in a Pinot Noir sauce which would convince anyone that red wine really does go with fish! How cute is that tuille?

thepearlmahi-1.jpg

Mr. MV loved his main of duck breast with foie and cassoulet of beans.

We shared a Grand Mariner souffle with creme anglais poured in at serving.

We visited Bad Bean Taqueria again for LA-style burritos. The pork barbacoa is very good, and the brisket is even better. For a seriously fantastic and casual meal that's easy on the wallet, check this place out.

North Banks, located in the same TimBuck II center as Bad Bean also got a return visit from us. The seafood is very good, but comes with a somewhat steep price tag with entrees kissing the $30 mark.

I'd highly recommend that you rub elbows with the locals and sit at the bar to enjoy some small plates (it's what we'll do next time vs. paying for mains). We split perhaps the best fried green tomato app which was served with a spicy crawdaddy remoulade.

corollabbq-1-1.jpg

Corolla Village Bar-B-Que, located in Historic Corolla Village (way up there-Corolla Light) offers take-out real-deal NC BBQ. We got the ribs and pulled pork platters. The pork is smoked with hickory every day, which made for some good pig, matched with terrific sides. These sides were no afterthought. Each was made with attention and care.

The sauce is vinegar-tomato based.

The beans were mixed with limas and bits of bacon, the coleslaw was fresh and crisp, and the real standout was the cornbread, which was dense and moist.

corollabbqribplatter-1.jpg

It's off the main drag so you have to look for it, but, find it if you have the opportunity. They also have several picnic tables outside, and you can call you order ahead, which is good cuz when they run out of stuff, too bad!

A quick recap from the Corolla, NC and surrounding area where we spent the past week....

The Gems

The Shack—An adorable, sustainability-driven business with excellent coffee and a tropical bungalow feel. The owner Kelly and her fiancé have top-notch bean and tea selections, a good selection of milks including cow, soy, and almond, order anything hot or iced. The pastry selection is limited, but the coffee a must-have.

Duck Donuts-Duck Donuts just opened their second location, this one in Corolla. I am always trying to avoid gluten but there was no way I could ever skip their mini funnel-cakes, fried and dipped right in front of you once you order. The strawberry is a must try, as is the cinnamon sugar. Expect a line, but it moves quickly. These hot, fresh donuts compete for the best of my life and are worth breaking doctor’s orders, Lent, Passover, or any other dietary restriction to seek out.

The Standbys

Sundogs—This venue would scare off many families because it looks like a brash watering hole from the outside. However, Sundogs provided outstandingly fresh briny steamed clams, perfectly fried oysters, high quality sandwiches, and several microbrew tap options. It’s Corolla’s only sports bar, but the TVs are turned down except during major games. College flags fly from exposed beam ceilings, we all dug the character of this place with the tasty food being a surprising boon. Live music and other revelry kicks in at night, but this is a solid lunch or early afternoon snack plan with plenty of appealing menu choices for everyone.

Lighthouse Bagels—When asked for takeout lunch recommendations, everyone in Corolla kept recommending the exceptional chicken salad at Lighthouse Bagels. A few in our party ordered and greatly enjoyed it. We also purchased a baker’s dozen bagels with a few tubs of cream cheese as an easy breakfast for the crowd one day, tasty and worthwhile.

Fat Crabs Rib Company-Cracked me up to see a name so artfully crafted in alignment with Marketing 101 principles. This storefront in the Corolla Light Town Center specializes in all things pork and seafood. The pork items such as ribs and pulled pork are all cooked in house, and the seafood can be bought steamed or raw to cook at home. We partook in an early season indulgence of several dozen steamed crabs, and accompanied it with a steamer pot full of scallops, clams, corn, squash, and lobster tail to cook on the stove at home, all delicious. As another head nod to quality, the scallops were dry (no sodium tripolyphosphate), and the pork bbq sandwich we snagged piping hot just from grill when we placed our order was a smoky revelation. In chatting with the owner, it turns out he is the brother of the fella who owns the Virginia institution Vienna Inn.

The Tomato Patch—We wound up here for dinner one night, and ordered crowd-pleasing pizzas for takeout the following evening. Decent food but more about convenience to our location than anything else. The Corolla Seafood pasta dish demonstrated good flavor with shrimp, crab, and a Creole alfredo sauce. All staff seemed incredibly friendly and welcoming. Several others in the area recommended Corolla Pizza for their pies (adjacent to the Coffee Shack), but the timing never worked out for us to check it out.

Dr. Unks Bar (yes, read that name slowly)—Adjacent to The Tomato Patch, this is a small bar with a decent liquor selection and specialized drink menu. The watermelon martini puckered cool refreshment on a hot day, a balanced beverage. The main bartender here is the brother of one of the main bartenders at Sundogs. Between the two of them, the stories fly fast with a lot of laughs.

The Rest

Mike Dianna's Grill Room-An Epic Failure To Plan® left us without dinner reservations during prime time Friday night. The only fine dining option open not boasting an hour and a half wait was The Grill Room, tucked further back in the Timbuck II shopping center. After the cheerful hostess seated us, we encountered a limited steaks and chops menu with a daily listing of fresh catches served in a Montana steakhouse-type environment. The menu noted sushi service would start in May. With that Asian influence on the menu, I was delighted to exercise the rare option of enjoying sake with a non-Japanese meal. Their sake is not listed on their website, but I recall it was a junmai daiginjo, and a few dollars more than I have paid elsewhere.

By the time we arrived around 8PM, two out of three of the fresh catches were no longer available, so we reluctantly stuck to the regular menu. The waitress announced that the steaks were “all natural” Prime beef---translation to me being not raised organically, nor grass fed/finished, etc.

One of our party was starving so we asked for a bread basket as soon as we were seated. It took over 15 minutes to arrive in the Friday night activity flurry, but the warm, toasty baguette tasted delicious. The olive oil served alongside could use a few quality bumps upwards, but the bread was a welcomed addition later in the meal to soak up entree juices.

To appease the starving, we started with bbq shrimp and oysters Rockerfeller, both in the fair to good range. Exceptional endive, smoked gouda, grape, pecan, and apple vinaigrette salad followed. When we asked for a sharing plate, it arrived chilled, a nice touch. An unmemorable surf and turf with marinated filet kebobs and blander than most crabcake arrived after that. Lobster pasta was a standout, with perfectly cooked fusuli and large chunks of claw meat. The best dish of the night was probably the grilled asparagus accompanying the steak, brightly crisp and well seasoned. House-made desserts included key lime pie, with the bright fresh flavor of actual key limes, and a “please give me more salt” peanut butter pie. Friendly service and an expansively open environment are major pluses, but the appeal of this place will probably be limited to the upscale steakhouse set.

Uncle Ike’s-Tucked away in the Corolla Light Town Center where we kept stocking up on bait and tackle, our stops in to Uncle Ike’s for a quick pint were met with indifferent bordering on indignant service. To add injury to insult, several tap selections had already run dry. The bartender expressed irritation with “the unusually high number of tourists this time of year” as the cause of her tap shortage, but none of the other bars in Corolla ever seemed to run out of their selections. I did not partake that day, but lunch food ordered by others in our party was reportedly unremarkable. But bonus points for a few tables that provide outdoor seating, a boon on a breezy day.

Random Excursion Tips

Kitty Hawk Kayak offers a unique ecosystem tour of a maritime forest. Upon retrospect, I’d have preferred to rent the kayak for a couple hours on my own time and pace and skip the hard-to-hear guide announcements. Apparently, it’s just $5 to launch from that site, so consider this if you have your own or have rented a kayak for the week.

For a free, jaw-dropping view, check out Coastal Explorations, just down the street from the Coffee Shack. The owner Haley built a quarter mile pier extending over the marsh and into the sound. Pop into the store, say hello to her and her dog, and ask if it’s OK to walk back and take a look, she welcomes such use. The view of the Currituck lighthouse alone is worth the trek. It’s rare to find such an extensive and isolated marsh viewing opportunity from such solid ground.

The Corova Beach 4x4 area offers ridiculous levels of fun. We saw wild ponies all over the place, were chased by resident dogs, splashed through mud slicks, and gave my brother in law a chance to enjoy his Jeep like never before. Drive your own truck or jeep, rentals are expensive and appeared too slow with the guide setting the pace for multiple drivers. Less experienced drivers will want to consider deflating tires slightly and have their first excursion during low tide. There are no restaurants or other businesses, but bring a picnic lunch and a beach umbrella which you can then enjoy anywhere on the shore or under the picnic shelters in the Corova Beach Park.

P.S. DO NOT FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN (shouts the sun-rashed KMango).

Mr. MV and I, as well as our puppies spent a great week in Corolla, OBX. The best food finds are the most budget-friendly, I'm happy to say. We discovered Lovie's Kitchen Table in Historic Corolla Village...

Lovies-1.jpg

...and got their signature Sweet Potato Sticky Bun...

sweetpotatostickybun-1.jpg

...and enjoyed while relaxing on Adirondack chairs and watching osprey fly overhead...

Loviesoutdoorseating.jpg

Best $3 we spent all week. Seriously delicious! Lovie's also sells gourmet foods of all kind, beer, wine and has a nice selection of salads and sandwiches for lunch, including local tuna salad. We also picked up a bottle of an award winning California olive oil and another bottle of a thick, syrupy and sweet balsamic vinegar.

Also in Corrolla Village, we again enjoyed Corolla Village BBQ. The best bet is the pulled pork with a tomato-vinegar sauce. Again, the sides are never an afterthought here, with the beans with limas a standout, but to be outdone by the moist, sweet cornbread. Order the "large" serving and you'll have lunch for another day.

Bad Bean Taqueria is worth seeking out in KDH or Corolla. The brisket and barbacoa burritos are outstanding. We picked up an order of their chips and salsa (medium) to go because you just can't get it as good from a bag and a jar.

Red Sky Cafe in Duck is a good bet for dinner. We started with the gratis artichoke and Pecorino dip served with warm bread. Mr. MV's seared scallops app. were perfectly done and quite fresh. He had the Asian duck which was laquered and delicious. I enjoyed a special of mahi mahi and again, perfectly cooked scallops. Red Sky has an open kitchen that mesmerized me; two chefs cooking for the whole place (including a kitchen-view bar) and the zen that was going on had me entranced. The chefs spoke not a word, yet worked with such harmony and economy that nary a pan clanked or dish clattered while entrees poured out, perfectly cooked.

Finally of note is Seaside Farmers Market located at the north end of the Timbuck II center. I'd recommend checking this place out for local(ish) produce and seafood. Cling peaches from SC were sweet yet a bit firm in the middle and sweet corn was crisp, but not alas, not all that sweet. We picked up local shrimp and made shrimp cocktail. They also had local tuna as well as about a half dozen other locally caught fish.

Their pies looked amazing but were too much for just us two.

Missing the beach already...

coleonbeach-1.jpg

Missing the sun we enjoyed last week on this gray day in DC...so I'll take a quick trip down memory lane and remember a few of the spots we enjoyed.

Tortuga's Lie in Nags Head is a bit of a hike from Duck, but their Grilled Fish and Black Bean burrito was worth the trip. Fresh tuna was the fish the night I enjoyed it, and it was *really* fresh and barely seared - delicious! A lively spot that should have something for everyone.

The Paper Canoe, located a few miles north of Duck proper, across from Sanderling, was the setting for a very nice meal - our 'fancy' dinner spot, if you will. They just opened in May. We were there after dark, but the bar would have a great sunset view, with lots of room and a long wall of windows. I had (more) tuna, which was quite a bit past the rare I had ordered, but still fresh and tasty. It was served over an Israeli couscous/sweet corn/onion/mushroom mixture and topped with a tomato vinaigrette. A bite of the ravioli with a duck ragout was enjoyable - fine pasta and rich, meaty ragout. We were too full for dessert, but a piece of the cheesecake split four ways was worth that little bit of extra effort :unsure: - not at all sweet and with a chocolate cookie crust.

Breakfast spots are lacking in Duck, but you have to make at least one visit to Duck Donut. Fresh hot donuts with glaze/topping of your choice; a simplified Fractured Prune. Tullios has amazing bagels and makes a decent breakfast sandwich, along with cinnamon buns (swimming in cream cheese icing, or not) and a variety of other pastries, cakes, donuts, cookies. We were just a few minutes too late for breakfast at Duck Deli, but got to try their smoked chicken and smoked tuna salad sandwiches as a result - both solid, though the tuna was the smokier of the two. Based on a sample of their wings, we picked up ribs and wings for dinner one night - a quick and very good dinner!

Which brings me to the highlight of our meals - the ones we had at home, made with fresh seafood we picked up at the Dockside 'N Duck Seafood Market. More of that fresh tuna (off the boat in Wanchese that morning), beautiful clams from the James River, big sweet shrimp, clam dip, shrimp dip, crap and artichoke dip - all delicious! Very reasonable prices, especially in light of the quality of the product. The helpful, fresh-faced fellows behind the counter didn't hurt either :mellow:

On the way to or from the Outer Banks, the Morris Farm Market is worth a stop for their extensive selection of fruit, produce, sauces, pickles, salsas, baked goods - many of them available to sample. After seeing tomato pies in a couple spots, I couldn't resist the temptation/curiosity any longer and brought one home. OMG...it was amazing! Beautiful crust, lots of flavorful tomatoes, cheesy, crumbly topping. I think I'll have to find a recipe and give this a shot myself.

Visited my mom in Sneads Ferry, NC (right next to Topsail Beach) for a few days over the Xmas break. We were all set to go out to lunch at the Riverview, when the power went out (my mom says her power rarely goes out, even during hurricanes). We all settled down w/ our books & crossword puzzles, & the minute power was restored (3:05) we called DeNoia's Pizza for takeout- we learned they have a generator (so we could have called earlier) & cheese pizzas are half price TWTh...we had a great time, even though it was a short visit...

The beloved Granny Allyn's in Calabash, NC has closed. Land was sold to expand the fire station. Granny Allyn's was pretty much the best place to eat in the area. The kind of place that serves up home made biscuits and "Meat and 3" and seats people in two dining rooms...both smoking.

The Boundary House probably now claims the title of best place to eat in Calabash...and it is mostly mediocre at best. The firecracker shrimp off the app menu is tasty and the Oyster/Shrimp Po-Boy is actually a good sandwich and the best thing I have had off the menu (the shrimp were huge and excellent). Otherwise most items fall into the "more-is-more" category.

Just finishing up a trip to Nags Head and I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by my casual food options down here. Good, fresh and not prohibitively expensive seafood was had at the Red Drum Taphouse (Nags Head), Fisherman's Wharf (Wanchese), Tortuga's Lie (Nags Head and probably the best of the bunch), Outer Banks Brewing (Kill Devil Hills) and the Black Pelican (Kitty Hawk).

My daughter also just returned from a week in Sneads Ferry/Topsail beach. We hit all our local favorites- fried shrimp, deviled crab, collards & okra at the Riverview, pizza at DeNoia's, a very nice birthday dinner for my niece at the Old Siam in Jacksonville, an excellent club sandwich at the Lorelei (local dive bar) & lunch at Blue Asia in Wilmington. The weather was beautiful half the time we were there, & the beach is as beautiful as ever...

Just returning from Duck and had a really enjoyable meal at Red Sky Cafe. The special of fried oysters - fried in a hushpuppy batter - were delicious, served with a spicy aioli that went really well with the sweet battered oysters. My shrimp and grits entree was nice too. For what it's worth, the place was empty at 5pm on a weekday - which is when we went so that we could bring our 1 y.o. They had a highchair, but I'm not sure if we would be comfortable bringing him here if it were later in the evening, esp. during peak season. It's a "candle on the table" type of place, and the plates weren't cheap, so while I'd gladly go again with all adults, not sure if it's exactly kid-friendly (although again, our experience that night, and our server, were great).

Only ate out 4 times during our week in Duck.

Sunset Grille - okay for the raw/steamed seafood but avoid anything cooked. I had good steamed clams and good raw oysters - served with cocktail sauce only with a decent horseradish kick. The fish and chips - panko breaded flounder - was terribly overcooked and the breading doesn't even look like panko.

Coastal Cravings - stopped in to get some sandwiches to go. The salumeria (cappicola, genoa and mortadella) sounded great but I didn't see the sandwich came on a ciabatta bread. Good fries though. The turkey and brie was also pretty good, but it's not exactly hard to make a good turkey sandwich.

Paper Canoe - we went there because it was close, they have a wood-burning oven, and they have a clam pizza. Their actual menu is on facebook, not on their website. The bread came with garlic infused olive oil - it was seriously pungent. The clam appetizers had some sand in them clams - basically they didn't do a good job scrubbing. The pizzas cannot be customized, and they're only about 10 inches each. We ordered a margherita, a sausage (Italian Sausage, Soppressata, Prosciutto, Tomatoes, Imported Provolone), and a clam pizza (Fresh Baby Clams, Asiago, Olive Oil, Fresh Garlic, Oregano). The crust was thin and crisp - like a cracker. It's a waste of a wood fire oven.

Coastal Cantina - the fish tacos tasted like they were freezer burned. The fish wasn't fishy but it had the texture of rubber. They were out of the duck tacos, so we opted for the beef tacos, which were at least fresh. All tacos were served on flour tortillas. My wife also had a carnitas burrito. The pork itself tasted pretty good but there wasn't much pork compared to the amount of rice and beans in this jumbo burrito.

We didn't eat at Coastal Provisions but we popped in to see what's there. Not much of anything. If you're already down there, just go to Harris Teeter. If you don't feel like driving that far, Tommy's Gourmet Market in Duck has some good stuff at very inflated prices. We did most of our shopping at the Harris Teeter near Corolla.

post-4391-0-83730500-1338740686_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-21949900-1338740704_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-44949700-1338740714_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-92690200-1338740724_thumb.jp

Didn't see this place mentioned elsewhere... in April, we went to Flying Fish Cafe in Kill Devil Hills. Pretty good seafood options here. It was recommended to us by the owner of the house we were staying in over in Nags Head as "one of the best food places in the area". Our meal did't contradict that. Would like to try again when my infant isn't acting quite as fussy though... which forced us to rush through things a bit.

Lovie's Kitchen Table in Corolla Village continues to make scrumptious sweet potato sticky buns and the raspberry blondie is another winner.

Do try out the pulled pork sandwich at FatCrabs Rib Company in Corolla Light. The pork is smoky, moist and very generous in the smaller, 1/3 lb. version. This one eclipsed Corolla Village bbq by a mile. Mr. MV and I liked the pork and fitty-fitty bbq sauce* so much, we brought a bunch home :wub: .

First Light in Timbuck II offers a solid breakfast. I enjoyed the Crab Benny and Mr. MV had the chunky French Toast.

*Fitty-Fitty BBQ Sauce= half "tangy and spicy" and half "thick and sweet" sauces. It's got a nice little heat that sneaks ups on you after a couple bites.

7351400326_04a29784ba_z.jpg

We were there the week before Memorial Day. An SUV would be fine along the beach road, which is packed down. The houses had SUVs in their carports, so I guess it would work, but I would still rather take a jeep to negotiate those hilly, curvy trails off the highway.

North Banks Restaurant and Raw Bar in Corolla was our biggest surprise for lunch. I had some wonderful New Brunswick oysters, and my wife had the tenderest fried tuna bits with buffalo hot dipping sauce. This could have been badly overdone but no, the tuna was lightly fried and delicious! Otherwise Blue Point in Duck was the scene of our best meals.

Everyone from Blue Point to 1587 in Manteo was using strawberries in their home made ice cream. The best ice cream we had that week was at Ocean Boulevard Bistro and Martini Bar in Kitty Hawk.

We have a Acura MDX with AWD - can we drive up and see the wild horses?

Us too! We took the Acura to the beach a few times. Right after Beryl, there were so many horses by the beach. Foals would sleep at the water's edge while the "harem" guarded.

Go during low tide, use the VDM-4 Lock and you'll be fine. Watch for stumps, don't drive in the water and don't speed (3 points happily deducted by Mr. Cop: the beach is Rt. 12 still). Do NOT attempt to go up the dunes. If you get stuck, you'll pay $300 to get towed out.

If the horses are not hanging by the beach, you can go on a guided Jeep tour and tool around Corova to find them, but I'll bet if you go a couple times, you'll see some.

7352118278_d4ba88b775.jpg

Of course, the dogs loved the beach too!

3962426978_6ebcea3f59.jpg

• Like 2

We were there the week before Memorial Day. An SUV would be fine along the beach road, which is packed down. The houses had SUVs in their carports, so I guess it would work, but I would still rather take a jeep to negotiate those hilly, curvy trails off the highway.

North Banks Restaurant and Raw Bar in Corolla was our biggest surprise for lunch. I had some wonderful New Brunswick oysters, and my wife had the tenderest fried tuna bits with buffalo hot dipping sauce. This could have been badly overdone but no, the tuna was lightly fried and delicious! Otherwise Blue Point in Duck was the scene of our best meals.

Everyone from Blue Point to 1587 in Manteo was using strawberries in their home made ice cream. The best ice cream we had that week was at Ocean Boulevard Bistro and Martini Bar in Kitty Hawk.

North Banks is always solid- always crowded and popular with the locals. We missed Blue Point this time but won't next. They have what looks like a nice happy hour with inexpensive nosh.

I'm going home for a week's vacation to Sneads Ferry, NC- picture someone doing that strange, dancing in place thing where they rotate their arms in a circle (I'm not doing that, but that's what you can visualize). How would you guys feel about leaving your 17 yr old son home alone to watch the dogs & do his golf tournament? well, I totally trust him (if not to do the right thing, which he probably will, at least to cover his tracks). Lizzy & I will be hitting the beach, although It's been raining down there, hanging out w/ my Mom & her cats, my sister & niece (BIL is heavily into sport fishing now & will be doing that), & visiting the local restaurants ( there's about 2-3).

I'll have to learn not to even look at Yelp, because when I browsed this morning, just to see if anything new popped up, I saw an extremely negative review of one of my favorite spots, the Riverview, in SF. The reviewer was from up here (Oakton), & he had a gripe about everything from the decor, to the menu descriptions & the food-even complained he couldn't see the river (guess he wasn't next to the window). I think I finally realized why Yelp has a compliment button, but not a 'you are an idiot' button....I have that feeling about more & more reviews that I read....

Coming back from a too short visit down to NC, to visit my Mom & sister-we traveled down on Wed., in the rain, & arrived in time for a tornado/ waterspout to hit Sneads Ferry (our biggest regret, since we traveled early, was that DeNoias Pizza wasn't open when we arrived).

We had Chinese takeout from Golden China (which was very good, better than my local Chinese takeout), lunch at Cancun (average Mexican), & lunch at the Riverview- I had shrimp & deviled crab, w/ fried okra & eggplant Parmesan (which was great)& went up to my sister's house on Friday- prime rib, shrimp, broccoli. We left, in the rain (after picking up Piggly Wiggly sweatshirts for the kids) on Saturday, I really wish we could have stayed longer....

Back from a quick weekend trip down to Sneads Ferry for my niece's high school graduation, managed to eat quite well. Friday lunch at Riverview was excellent, in addition to my regular favorite, shrimp & deviled crab, okra/slaw, we split apps of steamed clams & "blackened soft shell crab bites", which weren't particularly blackened, but had just a dusting of cornmeal, deep fried. I can't believe that LIzzy tried clams & clam strips & soft shelled crabs in one visit, she has certainly tried some new (to her) foods lately. After a tortuous 3.5 hr grad ceremony, my DS (who was the lucky one w/out a ticket) picked up DeNoia's pizza (I had mine for breakfast the next morning). Then for my 2nd breakfast, we went to Madison's $7.99 AYCE breakfast buffet-really good, & I don't really like breakfast food, but their biscuits were just short of mind blowing (can you say that about a biscuit?)- little rolled cheese omelettes, fresh home fries, curly bacon, tons of fruit, & a full dessert spread. That confused me, but after 10:30 they roll right into a lunch buffet, so they probably just get dessert out early.

Lizzy surprised me again by tackling an enormous pork chop smothered in gravy, & I can't even begin to list what Tom ate- he had at least 4 full plates (he's doing a tough mudder today). Saturday night, my sister & her DH threw a huge graduation party for Claire- a pig, BBQ chicken, sides mostly from Piggly-Wiggly- potato salad, slaw, bkd beans, other homemade salads, cakes, cupcakes, fruit- you get the picture.

After dropping Tom off for his race outside Richmond this morning, E & I rolled home, I may not be eating again for awhile.

So Kinston, NC isn't quite coastal Carolina, but I didn't know where else to put it.  We had Max (my dog) with us coming home from the beach with a stop in Wilmington to visit relatives.  Then as a treat we stopped in Kinston to eat at a Vivian Howard restaurant, as I am obsessed with the Chef and Farmer.  We couldn't finagle how to eat there, so we ate at an outside table at the Broiler Room.  We had beer brewed right down the street that was excellent.  I had the wit which was a great hot day beer.  I had a couple oysters broilerfellar to start which were on a bed of bacon bits and an interesting and creative take that I really liked.  The Butter Bean Burger was so AMAZING.  Both MK and I had it and said it was addictive and we would crave it.  I don't know how she made butterbeans into a burger and made that burger so good, but it was good.  It had a good spice to it without being spicy it was crispy on the outside, but had a soft inside and nice bite.  We had charred slaw on the side, I thought the slaw was much better balanced in flavor than most and a good texture, I really enjoyed it.  We also had the beef fat fries, which Max really approved of (but he ate butterbeans from our burger too, which is amazing he normally sticks to the food groups of meat, dairy and sugar.) and we enjoyed, as well, but I would like to try fries with gravy or southern poutine.  We will find our way back here, and until then will severely crave that butterbean burger.  I now really can't wait to go to the Chef and Farmer.  The service was great even though we were outside (they only have a couple tables out there, but they were so nice about us being able to be out there with Max.).  And everyone was phenomenally nice in that great small town way.

If in Hampstead, NC, Smithfield Chicken and BBQ isn't horrible, but I don't like the sweet coleslaw, except on top of the BBQ sandwich.  The pulled pork is good, as is the fried chicken and hush puppies.

• Like 1

So Kinston, NC isn't quite coastal Carolina, but I didn't know where else to put it.

If in Hampstead, NC, Smithfield Chicken and BBQ isn't horrible, but I don't like the sweet coleslaw, except on top of the BBQ sandwich.  The pulled pork is good, as is the fried chicken and hush puppies.

If you find yourself in Kinston again you should take Route 70 west, back toward I-95, and hit Wilber's BBQ on the outskirts of Goldsboro, NC.  One of the best Eastern Carolina whole hog BBQ spots in N.C.  Their fried chicken is also very good.  Goldsboro is about 20 miles west of Kinston.

If you find yourself in Kinston again you should take Route 70 west, back toward I-95, and hit Wilber's BBQ on the outskirts of Goldsboro, NC.  One of the best Eastern Carolina whole hog BBQ spots in N.C.  Their fried chicken is also very good.  Goldsboro is about 20 miles west of Kinston.  

Goldsboro is actually on route from when we drive back from MK's relative house in Wilmington, more-so than Kinston, so I will add this to the list.

Yep, if you are taking I-40 from Wilmington, you can get off I-40 and head up to Goldsboro.  Wilber's is on the eastern outskirts of Goldboro, on Route 70, about 10 minutes or so down the road.  And they sell it to-go, the pork travels well.  As you probably know, there is a good highway that connects Goldsboro and Wilson and hooks you back up with the I-95.  Pretty darn convenient.

I'm heading that way this weekend and will be making a Wilber's pit stop.

• Like 1

I'm headed down to Sneads Ferry next week & go through Kinston-unfortunately, I'm traveling w/ 2 dogs & they can't handle a pit stop, but it was so nice to hear someone's review of the place, I've wanted to try it, too. & I'm guessing Mother Earth was the beer you had? I'm hoping that I can visit Flytrap Brewing in Wilmington (sans dogs) while I'm down there.

I'm headed down to Sneads Ferry next week & go through Kinston-unfortunately, I'm traveling w/ 2 dogs & they can't handle a pit stop, but it was so nice to hear someone's review of the place, I've wanted to try it, too. & I'm guessing Mother Earth was the beer you had? I'm hoping that I can visit Flytrap Brewing in Wilmington (sans dogs) while I'm down there.

Yes, Mother Earth, I had the wit and MK had a lager, and we both really enjoyed our beers.

• Like 1

I just got back from a week's vacation at Holden Beach, NC.  Holden is about a 40 minute drive south of Wilmington.  Here's a run down of what we ate:

4 lbs of chopped pork from Wilber's picked up in Goldsboro, NC on the drive down.  For people driving the NC BBQ Trail, check out Grady's (limited hours) in nearby Dudley, NC.

A side of yellow fin tuna broken down into 10 steaks and grilled.

6 lbs of shrimp bought from the waterfront shrimp huts in Calabash, NC and used for a massive Frogmore Stew.

15 Spanish Mackerel, caught that morning on our charter fishing trip, filleted and grilled.

An 8 pound pork shoulder, slow cooked all afternoon, shredded, and turned into tacos.

4 made from scratch pies (The gf's sister's new boyfriend felt like he had to impress).

Grilled chicken thighs served with stewed squash.

Peaches macerated in local Scuppernong wine (a native muscadine grape) served with ice cream.

Lots of leftovers.

We did go to one restaurant of note for lunch:  Provision Company, a beach shack grill overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway.  Good grilled grouper, tuna and shrimp burger sandwiches.  Nothing fancy but who needs fancy at the beach.

We also discovered a new farm stand, Summerlin, with a nice selection of produce, baked goods, and free range eggs.

Finally, for people who like to take some time away from the beach, I highly recommend Lighthouse Watersports Blackwater Cypress Swamp Kayak tour.  A 2.5 hour kayaking tour of the creeks and swamps south of Wilmington, and the tour guide Jeff has tons of knowledge about the local ecosystem and area history.  Seriously, take this tour.

• Like 1

Dudley, NC is a blink and you'll miss it kind of place.  Hardware store, railroad track, a corner store and that's about it.  Nestled at the intersection of Arrington Bridge Road and Sleepy Creek Road (Rt. 1120) is Grady's Barbecue, one of the dying breed of whole hog, wood smoked barbecue joints in Eastern North Carolina, and routinely rated as one of the best.

Grady's is just about exactly what you are looking for when driving around rural America.  A white washed building, just a step above a shack, a handful of tables, quirky hours, and Gerri Grady stepping out from behind the counter greeting and chatting with her customers.  It is a well loved place.  The chopped pork sandwich ($4) is a small hamburger bun filled with smoky pork, topped with a bit of slaw, a squirt of vinegary peppery sauce ties it all together.  Unfortunately the potato salad was dry and mealy, but the slice of sweet potato pie ($1.50)...the stuff of dreams.

Grady's is a short 8 minute drive east off Rt. 117 between Goldsboro and Mt. Olive.

Grady's Barbecue
3096 Arrington Bridge Road
Dudley, N.C. 28333
(919) 735-7243
Hours: Wednesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

post-44-0-08430800-1448903807_thumb.jpg  post-44-0-30694000-1448903832_thumb.jpg  post-44-0-08206700-1448903851_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This was the 4th year of renting a beach house with friends in Nags Head for Thanksgiving.  We mostly cook at the house, but we do go out for Thanksgiving dinner and usually 1 to 2 other meals.  For Thanksgiving buffet, we've been to 2 places and enjoyed both: Kelly's Outer Banks Restaurant and Pamlico Jack's Soundfront Restaurant.  Same ownership and similar food selection, but Pamlico Jack's has a nicer view.

A new rum distillery just opened in Manteo this year.  If you like rum, I highly recommend touring Outer Banks Distilling.  If you are into beer, I recommend checking out Weeping Radish Farm Brewery in Grandy, NC.  The owner is a trip to listen to and the food and beer are both enjoyable.

This year, we decided not to cook before checking-out on Sunday morning, so we went to Chilli Peppers Coastal Grill for brunch.  This was a great decision as I had the Southern Crab Benedict and it was delicious. Also recommended is the Huevos Rancheros.  The drinks looked good but since we were getting back on the road right away, I decided not to indulge.

If you're looking for a simple taco place, Viva Mexican Grill is basic but tasty and my shrimp taco salad was just right.  In the past, we have visited The Fisherman's Wharf Restaurant in Wanchese but they took a sabbatical for 2015.  Hopefully they will come back in 2016.

• Like 1

Southport, NC is a quaint ocean side town (really riverside town, as it is located at the mouth of the Cape Fear River) steeped in Civil War history, as a defensive area protecting the port of Wilmington, just upriver.  Confederate blockade runners would skirt the Union navy, trading agricultural products in the Bahamas and Bermuda for munitions brought back to Wilmington and then supplied to Confederate units.  Today it is a busy little town with live oak lined streets, art galleries, and antique shops.

We had lunch at Fishy Fishy Cafe, your typical water front cafe...lots of pastel paint, nautical themes, inappropriate puny signs, and t-shirt clad servers.  The restaurant is fairly sprawling with several enclosed outdoor dining areas, decks, bars and patios.  Presumably most of the seafood is local, but who knows these days.  Whomever was working the deep fat fryer was having a good day:  good jalapeno hushpuppies, good fried shrimp on the "po-boy", and a nicely fried flounder sandwich.  Of course it could have all come from the back of a Sysco truck, but who knows these days.  Regardless, if you want to dine overlooking the Intercoastal waterway on a sunny afternoon, with a beer or a bloody mary in hand, you could do worse.