District Taco, Former Taco Truck Now In Multiple Area Brick-And-Mortar Locations

My wife and I barely beat the buzzer last night as we walked in at about 8:59pm (and I felt like a jackass for doing so, but sometimes you need tacos) and were the last order of the night. Saw several potential orders (including a very disappointed little baseball player and his dad, I hope they had a good Plan B...) turned away by the locked door. My point in saying this is twofold: (1) District Taco is completely awesome and (2) they need to extend their hours to 10pm on weeknights. The place was PACKED at 8:59, at least 30-40 people enjoying their food. For too long, I've seen great little restaurants fail soon after opening due to lack of interest...it's refreshing to see one doing so well in a tough economy. They deserve it.

I am so happy that District Taco seems to be very busy and has turned a once location of death into success. It seems no matter when we go there are at least a couple people in line. That is very heartening, especially since we love the place!

Ok, so while I absolutely love that District Taco is busy, and the food is still great, it was almost too busy this weekend. I think they are going to need a second location. This weekend I got Carne Asade tacos with beans and grilled veggies and chips, all were very good, so much food I ended up taking most of the chips and salsa home. We found a communal table and sat near another couple. When we were starting our meal a gentleman asked if we minded moving over two seats so they could have the four seats there. We said sure no problem. After that then the person tried to acquire even more chairs and fit them into the space and then they put kids on laps right next to us. When we quickly ate, got up and left they thanked us, took our seats, too, and said they hoped they didn't scare us off. We politely said, "Oh, no."

I understand the place is just so busy you need to utilize all the space, but people just don't seem to have a lot of common courtesy. Next time I will wait for a two-top when they are that busy, or space at the bar.

After that then the person tried to acquire even more chairs and fit them into the space and then they put kids on laps right next to us. When we quickly ate, got up and left they thanked us, took our seats, too, and said they hoped they didn't scare us off. We politely said, "Oh, no."

I hope you gave them a look that would freeze lava when you said that. Bozos.

Ok, so while I absolutely love that District Taco is busy, and the food is still great, it was almost too busy this weekend. I think they are going to need a second location. This weekend I got Carne Asade tacos with beans and grilled veggies and chips, all were very good, so much food I ended up taking most of the chips and salsa home. We found a communal table and sat near another couple. When we were starting our meal a gentleman asked if we minded moving over two seats so they could have the four seats there. We said sure no problem. After that then the person tried to acquire even more chairs and fit them into the space and then they put kids on laps right next to us. When we quickly ate, got up and left they thanked us, took our seats, too, and said they hoped they didn't scare us off. We politely said, "Oh, no."

I understand the place is just so busy you need to utilize all the space, but people just don't seem to have a lot of common courtesy. Next time I will wait for a two-top when they are that busy, or space at the bar.

Amigos, Thank you for being patient! Soon we will announce our second location!! We hope to keep seeing you guys and keep enjoying our Mexican food!!

Gracias!!!

Gracias amigos for your support and we hope to see you again at DTHQ.

Orale!!

Congratulations, Osiris!

[You know one thing I really like about this website, is that it chronicles DC's restaurant history - I love going back to the beginnings of threads and reading about anticipated openings for what turn out to be successful businesses. Pretty much anything that has opened in the last five years has been captured.]

Open now with lines out the door before 11:45am. Lots of salivating people in line. Took a while to get the food but I'm sure kinks will get worked out over time. The breakfast taco I'm finishing off now is as excellent as anything I've had at the Arlington location and the salsa is great, as well. I'm also excited that they plan on being open to 10pm. Will be a great location for a quick bite before or after happy hours.

Picked up lunch there today. Enjoyed the food- particularly the pineapple in the burrito desnudo. Nice touch. I was really excited about this place opening. I really want their operation to be successful. It is a great addition to the Metro Center lunch mix.

But the process to order and pick-up your food is a total cluster f*&k. I dont think that is just because it is newly opened. The layout and operational flow is 100% the issue. We arrived at 12:15 and the line was out the door. The space is deep and narrow. A line snakes up to the first counter (near the front of the store) to order and pay for your food. They give you a card with a number on it. At which point you congregate at the bottom of a set of stairs (up which people are traveling to sit) to wait for your food near an open kitchen towards the back of the space. A runner bags or plates your order and then calls your number. From there, you travel back towards the middle of the space to the beverage station and toppings bar. The toppings/sauces aren't labeled. You exit through the same narrow and crowded space that people are lining up to enter. The kitchen was moving at a swift pace but the inefficient system coupled with long lines made it was a nearly 20 minute process from queing up to walking out with the food. Compare that to Merzi next door, which has a functionally similar menu, even with a line out the door you can be in and out in half the time in part due to a smarter flow.

I would have to agree with lekkerwijn that the ordering/layout/people flow is convoluted...I can see a food ordering clusterfuck developing when it is busy. It's a tight space.

The carnitas and al pastor tacos were both tasty and they are almost giving them away at $2.25 each. Within one week District Taco has become one of the better places to eat around Metro Center.

Osiris, whenever I find myself in search of coffee near the Lee Highway Strip of North Arlington, I'm faced with the Starbucks on N. Harrison Street. My alternatives used to be Arax Cafe (now closed) and Toby's Homemade Ice Cream & Coffee which is all the way down on Washington Blvd.

I've since added District Taco since it, like Toby's, serves the perfectly respectable M.E. Swing Company coffee, a DC-based roaster in operation since 1916. Swing's is an honorable roast, perhaps a bit muddy and lacking vibrancy, but in no way burnt or overroasted like, well, like you-know-who.

Like Toby's, buying coffee at District Taco instead of Starbucks will give you change from $2.00 (which I throw into the tip jar). A win-win-win.

My one request to you: would you start offering turbinado sugar so xdcx doesn't call me out for inconsistency? :) (I understand your iced tea sales probably dwarf your coffee sales, hence the need for Dixie Crystals.)

Also, a second request: I had a (very good, much improved) Breakfast Burrito ($7) with Chorizo (a well-spent 50 cents) last week, and when I walked in, I didn't realize I'd walked through the central door and accidentally butted in line. Especially since the parking is primarily away from the entrance door, it's easy to make this mistake - it was only when I looked to my left, and asked, "Is this the line?" that I realized I was almost the jackass that elbowed people away from the water fountain. Maybe you could put a marker on the central door saying <---- ENTRANCE THIS WAY! or something like that? There's no way to know until you're inside the building.

• Like 1

Nice preview dinner tonight at the Capitol Hill District Taco (comped by DT, reserved via Twitter). The wife had a burrito with pork al pastor, flavorful and tender meat flavored but not overwhelmed by pineapple. I had the ensalada with carnitas, and may have gone a bit overboard on the mestizo salsa and jalapenos (whoops). Good pork though!

DT's Penn Ave space is great looking -- I had no idea the old Yes had such high ceilings. The only drawback is that it is *very* loud. Our very young dining companion* forced us to truncate our meal by a bit, or I would have lingered a bit longer. Many thanks to DT for the comp. I'm looking forward to returning for breakfast.

*Rocks, I plan on stealing this phrase regularly, if you don't mind.

I finally made it into the Capitol Hill location and tried the Nachos Borrachos: Chips, black beans, choice of protein, cheese, sour cream, Salsa de Chili, and toppings For $8, the nachos were just about a perfect size. I ate them all without feeling I'd gorged myself and didn't have that bad feeling I often get when I order mega-sized nachos that I'm wastefully leaving food behind.

The menu calls this "yucatan spicy," but it didn't seem all that spicy to me. (Not many items have this designation, so I thought it would be hotter.) For my choice of protein, I got pork (carnitas), which was quite moist and tender. I'll be happy to try the carnitas in other applications. The toppings I added were raw onion and mild tomatillo salsa. The salsa was a good addition. It didn't overpower anything but added an extra layer of flavor. On the other hand, I found the nachos a little soupy and I'm not sure if that's a psychological reaction, since they were served in a bowl and not on a flat surface; a result of adding salsa; or they were a little soupy regardless of the other two factors.

Next up, I want to try the Huevos Rancheros...

District Taco tweeted that their 1919 M St, NW location's grand opening is on Monday (4/21/14).

Although I'm not privy to their books, I suspect they're making a fortune from their Arlington location.

I can't say I love District Taco, but I'll take it over the Harrison Street Taqueria Poblano at this point - the food at the latter is often not served hot enough (and I'm talking temperature hot; not spice hot).

Went to DT for the first time at the downtown location for lunch yesterday - I got the 3 taco combo and found them to be good, but not so great worth making a trek for them. I had chicken, beef barbacoa, and carne asada steak - all on corn tortilla, "Mexican style" with cilantro and chopped onions.  All of the meats were pretty tasty - carne asada probably the best especially with the combo of the medium, dark brown salsa which was probably the best part of the meal. The mild tomatillo salsa and the pico de gallo were fresh, but underwhelming. Good eats if you are nearby. Also rather cheap - I think my bill was $7+ for 3 tacos which made a decent sized meal.

Happy to see that someone is taking over the Chicken Out space.  I think they will do well there.  Crossing fingers.  I am close for meetings and my route from Fairfax back to my Alexandria office, so I expect I will stop in from time to time.

Went to DT for the first time at the downtown location for lunch yesterday - I got the 3 taco combo and found them to be good, but not so great worth making a trek for them. I had chicken, beef barbacoa, and carne asada steak - all on corn tortilla, "Mexican style" with cilantro and chopped onions.  All of the meats were pretty tasty - carne asada probably the best especially with the combo of the medium, dark brown salsa which was probably the best part of the meal. The mild tomatillo salsa and the pico de gallo were fresh, but underwhelming. Good eats if you are nearby. Also rather cheap - I think my bill was $7+ for 3 tacos which made a decent sized meal.

Give it one more try...the Al Pastor tacos are the reason to go there.

Give it one more try...the Al Pastor tacos are the reason to go there.

Really? As many times as I've been to District Taco, I don't think I've ever had these.

The quesadilla is good, in a slutty, Americanized way (it's big and bland - when you're starving, but don't want spicy food and want to load up on soft tortilla, meat, and lots of cheese, this is a good bet).

Co-sign on the Al Pastor tacos.  I also highly recommend ordering online.  The DT near Metro Center often has super-long lines, and I find few things more satisfying than waltzing past said lines to pick up my order in the back at the designated time.  That last statement might not reflect very well on me, but what can you do?

Co-sign on the Al Pastor tacos.  I also highly recommend ordering online.  The DT near Metro Center often has super-long lines, and I find few things more satisfying than waltzing past said lines to pick up my order in the back at the designated time.  That last statement might not reflect very well on me, but what can you do?

Co-sign on ordering online. The food rests under a heat lamp, but this is the type of food that survives it well.

Co-sign on ordering online. The food rests under a heat lamp, but this is the type of food that survives it well.

I've only been to the 1919 location once, but my friend tipped me off the ordering online and I couldn't agree more with the statements above. I can't say I was in love with the tacos, but between the cost ($7 for three) and the convenience (they were ready right when I walked in and I avoided the line that was out the door), it was pretty awesome.

Now I just need to remember when eating in restaurant that all the salsas are free, plus pico, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime. So in the future I think I would avoid ordering those as "toppings" and either order different toppings, or just add the free ones later to avoid any extra liquid seeping in while the tacos are waiting.

• Like 1

Now that District Taco has four locations, and lots of people have tried it, I'd be curious to hear what people think about their overall quality.

I have my own opinion, but I'll save it for later.

I have only eaten recently from the Dupont location, and only vegetarian tacos for take out in large quantities.  Have done that a couple of times in the last few months.  I give them a very high grade, in that context.  You can't really expect perfection or mind-blowing taste combinations when that's what you're getting, but they were very tasty, fresh, and reasonably priced - and the staff and overall experience were friendly and more than competent.  I would call it "very high quality fast food" rather than "omg tacos," but there is a time and a place for everything.

I have primarily eaten at their Metro Center store.  When they first opened, I found their various meat offerings to be pretty good, but as they became more popular I thought the quality started to suffer.  Then they started offering fish tacos, which I enjoy, and that's pretty much all I order these days.

Went here when the first pre-John Cleese chat idea was a bust (Astro Donuts and Fried Chicken - apparently closes before dinner? Ah well). It was good, but nothing really to rave on and on about. There are superior tacos locally (I usually hit up the trucks on Route 1 between Beltsville, MD and Jessup). But they were not bad tacos at all. If this were a dozen years ago, these would have been the best tacos of my life. One nice bonus was they serve beer.

I have still only been once, so I can't comment further than I did above on the tacos I had. But a friend of mine was trying to lose weight last year and ended up eating District Taco for lunch almost every day. Had two chicken tacos, used only one tortilla for each, and loaded up with salsas and other low calorie toppings. He also ate sensibly for breakfast and dinner and walked a lot, but he lost a ton of weight. I always assumed eating out for lunch constantly would be a diet buster (and I don't advocate that daily tacos are the healthiest option), but hey, it worked for him...and he liked it enough to have it every day!

• Like 1

Nice story from Arlnow.com:

District Taco Founder Hires Company That Once Laid Him Off to Build Rosslyn Restaurant

District Taco is working with an unlikely contractor for the construction of its new Rosslyn location: a company that once laid the restaurant's founder off.

In 2008, Hoil was working as a superintendent for Patriot Contracting, the construction company that is building the new District Taco in Rosslyn and has built locations in Alexandria and Dunn Loring "” which is celebrating its grand opening today.

The company originally hired Hoil despite his lack of construction experience because of his "can do" attitude

and work ethic, said Jeff McGee, the co-owner of Patriot Contracting. The company struggled during the 2008 financial crisis, and Hoil was laid off.

"When I got laid off, I was very sad and I asked if I could stay on payroll, sweeping floors," Hoil said. His wife was pregnant at the time and he needed the health insurance.

Laying off Hoil was one of the toughest days of work for McGee.

"I walked away crying," McGee said.

Laying Hoil and the other employees left its mark on the company. McGee vowed that the company will stay small in order to avoid ever laying someone off again.

Hoil went on to start his original District Taco cart that grew into what is now a growing regional chain. When Hoil started building restaurants, he ultimately returned to Patriot Contracting, this time as a client.

"Instead of being angry about what they did, I'm right next to them saying let's try this again," Hoil said. He says he signed a multimillion dollar contract with Patriot because the company has good people and the owners get involved in the project.

The construction company has built two new stores and remodeled one of the existing locations, McGee said. It is currently working on the Rosslyn location.

"We really enjoy working with him [Hoil], and we're proud of what he's done," McGee said.

Hoil is also eying Bailey's Crossroads, Virginia, and Tenleytown in D.C. for two more restaurants, he said. While the chain's stores can be found in Virginia and the District, Hoil said he wants to expand into Maryland, possibly at College Park. The company currently has 270 employees.

The new District Taco in Rosslyn will be located at 1500 Wilson Blvd, next to the future TargetExpress store. Both are expected to open this fall.

• Like 4

District Taco tweeted that they signed a lease for another location in Alexandria at 701 South Washington St.

The Alexandria location opened last year on Dec. 16, 2014 (via District Taco tweet).

Today, District Taco tweeted that they're opening their Rosslyn location on Jan. 8, 2016. The address is 1500 Wilson Blvd (but it's on the Clarendon Blvd side of the building).