Pinkberry, A California Frozen Yogurt Franchise - All Local Stores Have Closed

I'm surprised that Pinkberry's biggest fan (NCPinDC, I'm talking to you wink.gif ) hasn't started a thread. Looks like there's a full blown fro-yo war coming to Clarendon, to go along with the pizza and cupcake wars. I'm still partial to Red Mango's 'original' flavor, but did enjoy Pinkberry's new Lychee flavor, which I tried in New Orleans last week.

The Dupont Circle location is supposed to open in early May. 16 days it says on the website - May 5?

Hey! Cut me some slack. I'm out of town! Pinkberry... so excited. Not sure why I love it more than I love any other frozen yogurt but here's a go at an explanation:

1) I like the consistency of the original flavor. It's icy and light.

2) The toppings are amazing. They source the chocolate crunchy topping from the same vendor that Michel Richard does. Last night I tried the hazelnut crunch topping for the first time. It's delicious.

3) The fruit is always fresh. Plus, they offer unique items like cucumber and honeydew. They even make their own fruit purees to use as toppings.

4) There is consistency between shops.

May 6 is opening day on Connecticut Ave. That I know the address (1213) by heart should probably concern me!

I went yesterday (to the Dupont one), and though it was good its certainly nothing earth shattering. I'm not sure I ever got the yogurt thing to begin with. They do have a good amount of toppings, and they have flavored yogurts as well. But really you would be doing just as good at Tangysweet or Sweetgreen down the street IMHO.

I went and liked mine fine but found the price to be pretty ridiculous. I mean, maybe it's higher quality than some other places, but I could go down the street to FroZenYo and get a lot more for my money I think (or alternatively, choose to get less and then pay less for it).

@new foodie, the prices in DC seem much higher than they are in LA, or NY. I wonder if the rent is so high they are adjusting the price. But I notice that I am treating Pinkberry as a luxury in DC where I don't feel the same in other places. For example, I know the small was $1 more in DC than it was in Atlanta just last week.

However, I have to step in to the conversation regarding why Pinkberry is better and/or different than other yogurts... the quality of the toppings is astounding. Right now they have watermelon puree as an option... freshly made puree. Try some on the original. Amazing.

ARLnow reports an August 5 opening date for the Clarendon Pinkberry location. I wonder if Pinkberry coming to town had anything to do with the owners of Tangysweet/Red Velvet opting for a 'salad and grill concept at the soon-to-open Rabbit....

(Red Mango is still closer to my office and that's where my loyalties will remain :mellow: )