Bistro Bethem, Chef Blake Bethem's Established Modern Southern in Old Town Fredericksburg - Closed Aug 27, 2017

Website.

The chefs here work on using locally sourced produce, meats, poultry, and other proteins. They are creative with their dishes as well as cocktails and do an excellent job with wine parings. I have been there 3 or 4 times now and will definitely go again mostly because they are trying to do the right thing by staying away from factory meats and produce. I think they are a bit pricey compared to other restaurants in the region doing the same thing, but they are one of a very few in Fredericksburg going this route. Because their finished product consistantly well balanced, flavorful, and worth the visit (we are 45+ min away & we meet friends there; this is the one place we can agree on) we will continue to patronize Bistro Bethem.

Website.

The chefs here work on using locally sourced produce, meats, poultry, and other proteins. They are creative with their dishes as well as cocktails and do an excellent job with wine parings. I have been there 3 or 4 times now and will definitely go again mostly because they are trying to do the right thing by staying away from factory meats and produce. I think they are a bit pricey compared to other restaurants in the region doing the same thing, but they are one of a very few in Fredericksburg going this route. Because their finished product consistantly well balanced, flavorful, and worth the visit (we are 45+ min away & we meet friends there; this is the one place we can agree on) we will continue to patronize Bistro Bethem.

It has been almost six years since I've been there (coincidentally, I just got back from Fredericksburg about twenty minutes ago).

My girlfriend and I went there in January while staying at a B&B nearby...we loved the food and talking to the owners. In fact, we would like to go back and eat at a few other places there. I bought some Waygu hotdogs and assorted meats from the Butcher next door and wished they weren't 45 mins away. B)

We were in Fredericksburg this past weekend for the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon, and had the chance to stop in at Bistro Bethem the night before.  I know next to nothing about what the rest of the dining scene in the town is like, but if you find yourself down that way, you won't be disappointed at Bethem.  The service was pleasant, and very child-friendly (crayons and a cup with a lid were promptly brought without asking).  My son's gnocchi with 3-cheese Mornay disappeared quickly, and without the chance for me to snag a taste.  

My wife and I started with grilled asparagus with VA ham and a sunny side up egg, and the cheese board with Cambozola, roasted garlic, and pickles.  Both were fine, though I wish there was an option for charcuterie with the cheese board.  It was served with Dijon and pickled red onions, which really screamed out for some sort of pork product to go with them.  I had the special, pan-fried soft shell crabs over grits, with a tomato salsa, and Old Bay aioli.  The crabs were cooked nicely, but there was way, way too much aioli...like 10 times too much.  The rest of the dish was great, but someone needs a lighter hand with the squeeze bottle.  My wife had the "pyramid pasta" from the menu, small ravioli-type parcels filled with a ground chicken mixture, topped with a "radish chimichurri" and guajillo sauce.  I found the combination of flavors in this pasta very odd, and would not strongly recommend it.  The chicken filling had a bit of sweetness to it, and there needed to be a good bit more acid in the chimichurri to sharpen the flavors.  The guajillo sauce was pretty much a non-factor as far as my tastebuds could tell.  Not a hit, but not terrible.  Some folks next to us had the mussels, which looked (and smelled) great.  We skipped dessert to let the boy get an ice cream cone at Wally's down the street a bit, so I can't comment on their options.

• Like 1

Bistro Bethem has been my customer since i first began selling to restaurants...sad to hear the Bethems are selling the place but wish them the best. They have a 5 year old and a 9 year old to keep them busy in addition to their other restaurant.  Last serving will be 8/27.

New ownership is Jacqueline Hartman, executive chef at the Kenmore Inn. New name and concept still under wraps.