The Return of Hot Shoppes; one to open in the new Marriott Marquis in 2014

Pat

What a treat Hot Shoppes was when I was 8 or 9 years old. I think there was one in Montgomery Mall. Does anyone remember how they'd use the ladle to get gravy down into the cone of mashed potatoes? - like a volcano. I loved that.

And what about their Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake?

What a treat Hot Shoppes was when I was 8 or 9 years old. I think there was one in Montgomery Mall. Does anyone remember how they'd use the ladle to get gravy down into the cone of mashed potatoes? - like a volcano. I loved that.

Yeahhhh, I'm looking forward to seeing them resurrect this. Since the demise of Hot Shoppes, and Scholl's, the closest surviving experiences have been diners.

Sunday brunch at the Bailey's Crossroad Hot Shoppes was always a much anticipated highlight of childhood visits with my grandparents. My fondest memories are of the cream cheese blintzes with strawberry topping and a quiche-like egg casserole. Grandma would take us for lunch at the Crystal City location when we flew into National Airport. It would be great if she's still around in 2014 to try out the new one...

I saw that article and the first thing I thought was "I bet Joe H is going to be thrilled".

Won't be the same. I had a Mighty Mo about two or so years ago at the Rosslyn Marriott (special promotion) and it had nothing in common with the Mos I MADE at Hot Shoppes #10 at Wisconsin and Van Ness in '64 (literally where Broadcast House is today). Part of the problem is that today nobody excepting JW knows what a Mo is suppose to taste like. They are also made individually. Then, we made them thirty or forty at a time. I'm guessing the suppliers for the bun, even the "Mo dressing" are different. (Yes, I have the same recipe from the same Hot Shoppes cookbook but in '64 when we ran out of Mo sauce we used Russian dressing.) The bun is especially important since the Rosslyn "Mo" didn't have the same texture as ones in the '60's. There is also something to be said for patties being smacked down (which we did) and grilling in their own juice. The first bite into a Mo has like an explosion of juicy, saucy, cheesy flavor. Rossyln's Mo didn't. Simply, it was a drier burger that lacked the incredible greasy thrill of the original.

I just don't expect much.

As for the hot fudge ice cream cake you can still get this...at the Charcoal Pit in Wilmington, DE. There are three or four Charcoal Pits with the original on 202 across from the old Brandywine Raceway. When Hot Shoppes made a hot fudge ice cream cake in the '50's so did the Charcoal Pit. The latter still makes the exact same dessert which is identical to Hot Shoppes. I am convinced of this having had the Charcoal Pit's as recently as three or four months ago. My wife and I sat there thinking if we closed our eyes we would have thought we were in Baileys Cross Road or Bethesda or Twin Bridges or, even, the Queesntown Mo.

It will be interesting to see what their Teen Twist tastes like...

Thanks for thinking of me.