These days, few people actually order 'wiz on the steaks, even in Philly, but it certainly is how the cheesesteak started.

While I think that the taste of Whiz ruins a cheesesteak, I have to disagree with (or should that be wit) you about this, at least as far as Philly goes. I have been sampling many spots around Philly trying to find a cheesesteak that I like the best, and I notice that still most people order it with agent orange.

I read all 3, and not only didn't it move me to try any of the places listed, I feel no more informed than before I'd read the article. Not a good review nor good journalism.

Do you expect much else from the Sunday Source? I am surprised that the articles did not include fashion tips as well.

The articles also found almost nothing at fault at any of the places they visited. They never even commented on the quality or taste of the lobster in the rolls. And for the Philly cheesesteaks, he dissed one of the places for offering Cheese Whiz on the steaks. These days, few people actually order 'wiz on the steaks, even in Philly, but it certainly is how the cheesesteak started.

NO self-respecting Philadelphian would order their steak witout da Whiz™. Kerry found this out the hard way when he ordered his with swiss (blech).

I spent the first two-plus decades of my life in Philadelphia, and ate many cheesesteaks. I never had one with Cheese Whiz™ on it, only provolone. Granted, I wasn't in South Philly, but I was definitely within city limits. I never even heard of using Cheese Whiz™ until a couple of years ago on a Food Network infomercial.

• Like 1

NO self-respecting Philadelphian would order their steak witout da Whiz™. Kerry found this out the hard way when he ordered his with swiss (blech).

This self-respecting native Philadelphian begs to differ. I made my comments in the other thread, here.

On that note, anyone know where to ACTUALLY get an authentic steak this side of Delaware? I'm talking one that's just fatty griddled beef, onions, and some Cheese Whiz™ on an authentic Amoroso roll.

Has anyone ever had the courage to come right out and say that Cheese Whiz on anything is just plain disgusting? Furthermore, it constricts digestion. Just ask the second-rate journeyman fighter, "Rocky Bowel" Boa, who could never made weight and was always crabby to his wife.

Dan, it took me awhile to accept that this is the land of "steak and cheeses", not " cheesesteaks" sad.gif
I just make mine at home and it hits the spot!!

I've never actually made one at home. Not sure if I could do it justice. I think I once read something about using yellow fat vs white fat, but wouldn't know how to tell the difference.

I've never actually made one at home. Not sure if I could do it justice. I think I once read something about using yellow fat vs white fat, but wouldn't know how to tell the difference.

Instead of pm'ing Dan, I thought I'd share where I get the beef for the steak. Costco. Yup, there, I admit it and I own it. They have a fantastic brand of frozen shaved beef (don't think it's ribeye) that works really well. And, I get to LOAD up as much as I want!

In fact I get the whole darn thing at Costco; frozen beef, marinara, provolone and even the rolls, which are not bad at all. Not Amoroso or Sarcone's, but they work.

In 5 minutes I can get my fix and I don't even leave home.

Don, yeah. Cheeswiz is something man just shouldn't have invented. Just because they could've, doesn't mean they should've. But Dan, you can pick up a bucket as big as your head at Costco! laugh.gif

While I think that the taste of Whiz ruins a cheesesteak, I have to disagree with (or should that be wit) you about this, at least as far as Philly goes. I have been sampling many spots around Philly trying to find a cheesesteak that I like the best, and I notice that still most people order it with agent organe.

Do you expect much else from the Sunday Source? I am surprised that the articles did not include fashion tips as well.

The call "wiz wit" (steak, cheeze whiz, onions) was heard a lot more back in the 70s, when Pat's, Jim's, and Geno's were mostly the only game in town.

Obviously I can't be sure, but I think it's mostly tourists these days who were properly instructed by the GoPhila tourist board to go to 9th and Passyunk and sample Geno's or Pat's, calling out "wiz wit".

I think most of the knowledgeable locals are at Tony Luke's or Dalessandro's (or, frankly, whatever the nearest hoagie shop is to their house - that's what I did growing up). While American cheese is probably king of the day, I grew up in the 70s instructed by my parents to order a "pizza, wit" (tomato sauce, provolone, onions).

I've done a little reading about the history of the cheesesteak and the history of Cheese Whiz, and I realize that the main reason why I'm not familiar with the latter on the former is that I am old, and I left Philadelphia before the latter became really popular on the former. Probably a good thing.

I spent the first two-plus decades of my life in Philadelphia, and ate many cheesesteaks. I never had one with Cheese Whiz™ on it, only provolone. Granted, I wasn't in South Philly, but I was definitely within city limits. I never even heard of using Cheese Whiz™ until a couple of years ago on a Food Network infomercial.

Cheez Whiz has been offered on cheesesteaks forever...

While I think that the taste of Whiz ruins a cheesesteak, I have to disagree with (or should that be wit) you about this, at least as far as Philly goes. I have been sampling many spots around Philly trying to find a cheesesteak that I like the best, and I notice that still most people order it with agent organe.

They should have at least included a source for stain-resistant shirts. Cheez Whiz and cotton polos are a bad combination. (I opt for mushroom cheesesteak wit provolone, and South Street Cheesesteaks makes me happy)

I've had Legal's lobster roll at the Tysons branch. No.

I agree with ScotteeM. When I lived there about 25 years ago the only ones my friends and I ate were with Provolone.

How about we keep an open mind here? All I'm saying is don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Cheese Whiz just has negative connotations. Try and look around them. Millions of Philadelphians can't be wrong.

Just think if you'd been raised without any concept of wine. "You want me to drink a glass of fermented grape juice that's been sitting in someone's dank basement for three years??!"

Oh, and Perrik, you think shirts and Whiz are a bad combination? Once I accidentally spilled a cheesesteak's worth of the stuff into my WALLET.

My pockets smelled like Cheetos.

Millions of Philadelphians can't be wrong.

"lots of people eat garbage."

18 million cases of White Zinfandel were sold in retail stores in 2005. Mainly in 1.5L bottles, jugs and boxes. So, odds are that some Philadelphians eat their cheesesteaks wit, with White Zin. blink.gif

I was in Philly last year, and I tried Pat's with whiz, and I found it to be overrated. I remember talking with some locals afterwards, as I did not understand what the big deal was. I was told there are way better cheese steaks in the city than Pat's or Geno's. I heard Jim's on South Street is miles ahead of the others, I will have to find out on my next trip.

Side note: Cheese Whiz is just nasty, never order a sandwich with this on it again :unsure:

I was in Philly last year, and I tried Pat's with whiz, and I found it to be overrated. I remember talking with some locals afterwards, as I did not understand what the big deal was. I was told there are way better cheese steaks in the city than Pat's or Geno's. I heard Jim's on South Street is miles ahead of the others, I will have to find out on my next trip.

Side note: Cheese Whiz is just nasty, never order a sandwich with this on it again smile.gif

It's true, Jim's on South Street is MUCH better than Pat's or Geno's. Plus walking down South Street at night provides for added entertainment.

It's true, Jim's on South Street is MUCH better than Pat's or Geno's. Plus walking down South Street at night provides for added entertainment.

I love South Street, it's what Georgetown should be smile.gif

My PERSONAL favorite is Rich's Deli in Fort Washington, but when taking out-of-towners for their first, I generally prefer Pat's, as much for the historic value as for the actual cheesesteak.

Personally, I only head to Pat's to watch the tourist try to order the right way.

If I want a real cheesesteak I head up to Henry Ave. and hit either Chubby's or Delasandros. Both offer what I consider an excellent steak. Provolone is available, and they let the cheese melt, something Pat's doesn't do.

Delasandros is family owned and run and if you go frequently enough you become part of the family. When we were sitting shivah for my grandfather I needed a break so my father and I ran in for some cheesesteaks for lunch. When we got there the line was out the door, which is not unusual. One of the women instantly recognized us and came over to pay her respects. She moved our order up and wouldn't let us pay.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge the first Cheesesteak was with Cheese Whiz (in the 20's?). I remember going to Pat's 30+ years ago and always receiving Cheese Whiz on the steak unless I specified otherwise. The White House in Atlantic City (which I believe has the best cheese steak of all, in part because of their bread((all due respect to Amoroso, Tony Luke's, Jim's, etc. the Atlantic City Bakery has a better roll)) ) has never used Cheese Whiz, long melting cheese on top of shaved beef.

Cheese Whiz, first available in 1952, was not around for the original 1930s cheesesteak. This does not mean it's not traditional nor the appropriate connosieur's choice, it just means that the cheesesteak had to wait a couple of decades before meating (pun or typo - you decide) its soulmate.

Hey, some people like their filet mignon butterflied and well-done. They prefer it, so they should eat it. However, most people with a discerning palate for meat will tell you that medium rare is the way to go. I'll leave everyone to their provolone and swiss or whatever sacrilege they prefer, but I'll stick with what my "discerning palate" tells me. smile.gif

The best cheesesteak is not in Philadelphia. It is at Mississippi and Arctic in Atlantic City at the White House where the bread comes from the Atlantic City Bakery and is superior to Amoroso's, used throughout Philly.
The history of the cheesesteak is quite interesting. Here are several takes on it with one claiming that the original cheesesteak did not have cheese when it was invented by Pat Olivieri in 1930 (aka Pat's King of Steaks), later being added notably in 1953 when Cheese Whiz was invented:

http://www.magazineusa.com/us/info/show.as...riginals&doc=35

Here is another spin on history noting that cheese was added 20+ years later:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/San...CheeseSteak.htm

Here is another recounting of its invention with some different "facts" including the claim that it was invented ten years earlier than either above:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A346259

Still, for me, this seems like the most logical and faithful recounting of its history:
http://www.gophila.com/Go/PressRoom/factsh...esteak_101.aspx

Finally, the "official" history from Pat's website:
http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/history.htm

Of course as an afterthought I should note that Geno's, diagonally across from Pat's for over 40 years, claims they are the home of "the real Philadelphia cheesesteak" on their website (yes, Geno's was founded by a "Joe."):
http://www.genosteaks.com/index.html

And, no discussion of Philadelphia cheesesteaks both in and outside of Philadelphia would be complete without mentioning this interesting website:
http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/

There is a "review" of the White House noted on this website that states:
"Heres a very BIG VOTE for White House, In Atlantic City, NJ. I honestly tell you that the first steak I had from there was the Best thing I have ever eaten. I have never had an experience like that before. I was surreal. I was like sex the first time, A total shock. Gotta get one. Phat pix on the wall add to the experience. (everyones been there)."

My favorites so far in Philly are Steve's, and Delessandro's.

Steve's Prince of Steaks cuts their meat a little thicker than most others, and they use a crispier roll. All around makes for a great cheesesteak. I was told that they make their own whiz, but since I prefer Provolone, I did not try it. Delessandro's are delightfully greasy, and very flavorful.

I did not find anything special about either Chubby's or Jim's. I have heard great things about Silvio's somewhere north of Philly. I am going to make a trip there my next time I can escape from my Mother-in-Law's indentured servitude.

I amy be a heretic, but at least I have lots of company... Giveme a Tony Lukes roast pork with aged provolone and raab. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Good Lord Man, this is a Cheesesteak thread, not a roast pork sandwich thread. But for once I find myself agreeing with you Tony Lukes is quite good. Another good Pork Sandwich is from John's Roast Pork. According to Hollyeats, they also serve a mean cheesesteak, but both times I have visited, I have not been able to get past the pork.

I amy be a heretic, but at least I have lots of company... Giveme a Tony Lukes roast pork with aged provolone and raab. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

He's a blasphemous heathen! Burn him at the steak!

Get it? Burn him at the STEAK? 'cause it's a cheeseSTEAK, not a cheesePORK, and... aww, it's not funny if I have to explain it.

They should have at least included a source for stain-resistant shirts. Cheez Whiz and cotton polos are a bad combination. (I opt for mushroom cheesesteak wit provolone, and South Street Cheesesteaks makes me happy)

I've had Legal's lobster roll at the Tysons branch. No.

Now that's why you do the "South Philly Stoop" whilst chowing down on said cheesesteak. Basically you grasp you sandwich with two hands, bend forward at the waist, bend your knees and stick your arse out as far as you can.

Bite and drip without worry tongue.gif

Now I'm going to throw it down and agree with Dean. The roast pork Italian is a worthy rival of the cheesesteak. Mmmmmm.

Mandatory stop at DiNic's at RTM.

gallery_24065_1826_715864.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_665281.jpg

Now that's why you do the "South Philly Stoop" whilst chowing down on said cheesesteak. Basically you grasp you sandwich with two hands, bend forward at the waist, bend your knees and stick your arse out as far as you can.
Bite and drip without worry tongue.gif

Now I'm going to throw it down and agree with Dean. The roast pork Italian is a worthy rival of the cheesesteak. Mmmmmm.
Mandatory stop at DiNic's at RTM.

Oh yeah!

Just had one last weekend and they are great! I still need to get to Tony Luke's to compare.

I love a good Philly cheesesteak, but that sandwich from Tony Luke's is absolutely incredible... follow up with Capogiro gelato.

Alright, well, I'll put my two cents in on the cheez whiz debate here...I guess the question in point is which came first, the cheez or the whiz. I'd have to say that melted american, provolone, swiss or whatever you prefer is the original cheesesteak. The cheese gently melts on the steaming steak and perhaps this is where the idea of whiz evolved. Thankfully, the cheese I order doesn't come out of a can.

And my best steak has always been Jim's on South St. No matter what the cheese, I like mine always with sauteed onions, mushrooms and ketchup. And yes it is possible to chow down on the sidewalk. As part of a group of teen hooligans, we would take the best seat for people watching on the entire strip, seated indian style on the sidewalk in the shade. :unsure:

I'll chime in for Steve's Prince of Steaks. Love the thicker steak and crispier rolls as noted upthread.

While not the best in Philly, I always have good luck at both Pat's and Geno's (wiz with) but I've never been a big fan of Jim's. An excellent cheesesteak can be had at Shank & Evelyn, near the Italian Market.

I'll also recommend John's Roast Pork, though they have limited Saturday hours and are only something like 7am to 5pm Mon-Fri.

Thanks,

Kevin

I'll chime in for Steve's Prince of Steaks. Love the thicker steak and crispier rolls as noted upthread.

While not the best in Philly, I always have good luck at both Pat's and Geno's (wiz with) but I've never been a big fan of Jim's. An excellent cheesesteak can be had at Shank & Evelyn, near the Italian Market.

I'll also recommend John's Roast Pork, though they have limited Saturday hours and are only something like 7am to 5pm Mon-Fri.

Thanks,

Kevin

You have great taste cool.gif

My favorites so far in Philly are Steve's, and Delessandro's.
Steve's Prince of Steaks cuts their meat a little thicker than most others, and they use a crispier roll. All around makes for a great cheesesteak. I was told that they make their own whiz, but since I prefer Provolone, I did not try it. Delessandro's are delightfully greasy, and very flavorful.

I did not find anything special about either Chubby's or Jim's. I have heard great things about Silvio's somewhere north of Philly. I am going to make a trip there my next time I can escape from my Mother-in-Law's indentured servitude.

I'll also chime in for Steve's Prince of Steaks. I prefer the 'not hacked to death' kind of sheesesteak that most places serve up. Steve's offers up a fine cheesesteak that also give you a better textrual feel for the eating/tasting experience.

I have also eaten those from Pat's, Geno's and Jim's. Out of those three, I prefer Jim's, but none of them really shine IMO. Delessandro's was OK, but it is again hacked to death. They have some nice peppers and other stuff available which is very good. And the cheesesteaks I had there were of the biggest portion (geno's was the smallest at 7-ish ounces, while Delessandro's was at or about 16 oz).

I had my very first Philly cheesesteak on my very first trip to Philly this weekend. At Tony Luke's I got my sandwich with onions, sweet peppers, and sharp provolone. And now I know what all the fuss is about.

Juicy, tasty meat. Just the right amount of onions and peppers (though maybe with slightly less body than I'd prefer). Provolone nearly sharp enough to clear your sinuses. A bun hearty enough to stand up to it all, but not tough or chewy.

A fine, fine sandwich.

One of the founder's of Pat's Steaks has died. sad.gif

Kevin

Here's a cartoon from today's Philadelphia Daily News . . .

http://kyw1060.com/pages/59393.php

God bless.

PS I'm all about the pizza steak -- provolone, tomato sauce, and fried onions -- but Pat's and Geno's are tourist traps. I don't care for the meat at Jim's. Tony Luke's and John's are great. But so is the place on my corner, Ted's at 38th and Lancaster in Powelton Village. ~C.

~Carol

post-1591-1153760049_thumb.jpg

I'm all about the pizza steak -- provolone, tomato sauce, and fried onions -- but Pat's and Geno's are tourist traps. I don't care for the meat at Jim's. Tony Luke's and John's are great. But so is the place on my corner, Ted's at 38th and Lancaster in Powelton Village.

See, that was my recollection growing up in Philly. I ate pizza steaks, not whiz, and the "place around the corner" was where the locals went. I definitely spent a lot of time eating steaks and hoagies from Lee's. Back when there were only a couple of Lee's...

See, that was my recollection growing up in Philly. I ate pizza steaks, not whiz, and the "place around the corner" was where the locals went. I definitely spent a lot of time eating steaks and hoagies from Lee's. Back when there were only a couple of Lee's...

Now I'm waxing nostalgic. I had a theory that there was a "junk food" cheesesteak and a "real food" cheesesteak. The ultimate "real food" pizza steak for me came from Beato's at 25th & Parrish where they lovingly assembled the meat, tomato sauce, grilled onions, and provolone cheese, and then melted it open-face in their pizza oven. Alas, they are now closed . . .