15 RIA, in the Doubletree Hotel - Chef Alvaro Muñoz's American on 15th Street and Rhode Island Avenue - Closed

Has anyone visited this restaurant since Chef Leeds left?

I only get out w/o kids about once a month and this Sunday night is May's outing. I would rather not go to 15 RIA if it's gone downhill since Chef Leeds left, but, as you know, it's slim restaurant pickings on Sunday night.

Thanks!

Nancy

Has anyone visited this restaurant since Chef Leeds left? 

I only get out w/o kids about once a month and this Sunday night is May's outing.  I would rather not go to 15 RIA if it's gone downhill since Chef Leeds left, but, as you know, it's slim restaurant pickings on Sunday night.

Thanks!
Nancy

A trusted source has been to 15 ria this week, and says to avoid it like the plague. Apparently, the menu still "reads" well, but what's emerging from the kitchen is, to put it kindly, substandard.

A trusted source has been to 15 ria this week, and says to avoid it like the plague. Apparently, the menu still "reads" well, but what's emerging from the kitchen is, to put it kindly, substandard.

Thanks for the information. I guess we'll follow Chef Leeds to Hanks instead!

Nancy

Okay... I know that Jamie Leeds has left and things went downhill as expected but has anybody been here recently and can report back. It was suggested for dinner tonight with by client of my +1 and need to know how much effort I need to put into changing venue.

Cheers!

Okay... I know that Jamie Leeds has left and things went downhill as expected but has anybody been here recently and can report back.� It was suggested for dinner tonight with by client of my +1 and need to know how much effort I need to put into changing venue.
Cheers!

On the bar menu, the mini burger cooked as rare as possible and the scallops are pretty good for the money. That's all I know because the last time I was there we had those two, liked, and then ordered the same things again (for fear of missing). The scallops were really fresh, 3 of them, not over-cooked ...and CHEAP!
The fries with the burger aren't the crappy straws that they used to have, they're big wedges now. They still weren't great.
That said....
For the same money, Circle Bistro should do more than a good trick.

(Actually, the name of this hotel is now Doubletree Washington. The heading should probably be changed.)

What a glorious surprise!!!! I had an absolutely fabulous V-Day dinner at 15 Ria last night. This place is totally under-valued in the foodie (yes, I used the word. I love it and I'm going to KEEP using it. So there. tongue.gif )world.

I was going to like most of you and skip the whole restaurant thing. But when the snow storm on Tuesday forced me to abandon my grocery shopping plans, I decided at the very last minute to find someplace to go celebrate with my Honey Boo. And since 15 Ria was offering such an amazing v-day deal (3 course for $98 per COUPLE!! can you believe that???!!), I couldn't pass it up!

APPETIZERS - pan seared foi gras on a shredded potato patty thingy with blueberry compote and my BF had ginormous seared scallops with a mixed green salad with strawberries. Phenomenal!!

ENTREES - I had grilled rack of lamb with spinach and cheese polenta hash and super fresh crunchy green beans with a tangy red pepper coulis. My BF had crabs-crusted sole stuffed with lemon potato puree. The sole was a tad bit bland, but the arugula sparked it up a bit

DESSERT - I had the molten chocolate cake with Kahula cream, but the cake was kind of cold, so I sent it back for an amazing apple crisp w/ cinnamon ice cream. My BF had some very yummy (yup. like this word too!) Bailey's cheesecake.

SERVICE ' Wonderful. Almost annoyingly attentive. That's the thing about such an unassuming under-the-radar place. There weren't many people there so we had the waiters almost undivided attention. Also, they honored my request for a table right beside the fireplace. And they turned the light down more than they usually are, so it was super romantic and cheesy and cliché and all those wonderful Valentine's Day things.

OVERALL - A fabulous hidden gem. Wonderful food. Beautiful, comfortable furniture. Amazing décor. A fantastic value, especially on an "amateur night" like Valentine's Day Great service. Definitely worth a trip!!!!!

Peace, Love & Many Blessings,

LaShanta