Bread Furst, Baker Mark Furstenberg at Connecticut Avenue and Albemarle Street in Van Ness

Mark Furstenberg had emailed me earlier this morning. I had asked Frank Ruta a few weeks ago if he could tell me about any upcoming projects, and he said that his partner wanted to tell a few people at the same time (me being one of them), so I wanted to pass this along as soon as I saw it.

Frank Ruta is back! And no business burdens; just cooking which is what he loves!

Bread Feast is Coming Next Month

In September, Frank Ruta will begin cooking again for Washington and just a few blocks up Connecticut Avenue from Palena, his Cleveland Park restaurant now-closed.

Ruta will preside over Bread Feast, a nightly neighborhood dinner in which, at Bread Furst, he will cook his special blend of simple sophisticated American food deeply indebted to Italy.  He will be assisted by Bread Furst staff and by Aggie Chin who was the pastry chef of Palena.

The menu will be seasonal and simple and will change continuously.   This will be a modestly-priced neighborhood dinner, an antipasto with cocktails and wine followed by a single menu dinner served family style.

Each day the menu will be posted on Bread Furst's web site and diners will be able to reserve and pay for the relatively few tables available.

We will begin in mid-September and are very pleased to have this collaboration.

This could be special.

It's going to be a good collaboration, I think.

My objective has been to have a neighborhood bakery, rooted in the neighborhood and rooted in baked goods.  I didn't have that downtown at The BreadLine; that was a restaurant.  It upset me that I hadn't been able to create a neighborhood bakery in the city and now I think we are on the way to having done that.

The addition of Frank Ruta's cooking, it seems to me, moves us one step further.  There is no restaurant nearby.  We are in a neighborhood that responded so much to Bread Furst and wants a restaurant.  Frank's restaurant was a mile down the street.  It seems so natural.

• Like 6

This sounds exciting, but I can't imagine that this could possibly stay a low-key neighborhood dinner situation.  With the heavy-hitters involved, this could be just as tough of a reservation to get as the rooftop at Rose's Luxury.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that...just saying.)

Today's Spelling Lesson

There are three names in this town you should know how to spell:

1) Tom Power (singular, as in, "I've Got The Power.") Note this post by mktye written on August 4, 2005.

2) Julien Shapiro (the French spelling with an "e," not the Spanish spelling with an "a." (Remember, Julien made it to the finals of the French World Páté en Croí»te Championships.))

3) Mark Furstenberg (with an "e," not a "u" (Remember: There is no "u" in Bread!))

Ever since BreadFurst was announced, we've *all* been spelling his name wrong about half the time. In my case, it's because the "u" in "BreadFurst" somehow put my brain in "u-mode," and I began spelling it Furstenburg, when all along, I've been spelling it correctly as Furstenberg.

Will this be a reservation thing or first come first serve? I only ask because I see this as working out in 1 of 2 scenarios for what is likely to be a cult attraction:

1-  A reservation for a meal is as hard to score as Mini Bar or the Rooftop at Roses' Luxury.

2- No reservations with a line that forms early and waits that last into the night. The neighbors will love it almost as much as they love the line for the car wash next door on a sunny January Saturday over 32 degrees.

You know what would really rock?

A DR.com night at Bread Feast.

I was just at Bread Furst (not Bread Feast) today, after my meat-fest at Fat Pete's. There is a lone caramel sitting in my refrigerator, and a baguette on my ironing board, waiting to be had with some Parts & Labor Rhubarb Preserves, along with a pot of Kill Devil Hills Roasters (Arrowine) coffee, the morrow morn.

Daniel, please *do* organize this if you wish.

We went for the first time this weekend. Lattes, Rosemary biscuits with ham and cheddar (and something else that I forget), donut holes. Then cookies for later.

Very good. Service a little flaky, but very tasty. If only it weren't on the other side of the park! But we will be back.

Not to veer too far off topic, but we'd hit up Palena at least 3 times a year (usually a lot more), and especially on our anniversay. I still have a hole in my culinary soul at the moment. But it has forced me in to try places i may not have, or may not have for a long while. One of the great things was getting back to Cityzen this year - what a treat. And while I am sad to see Cityzen is closing, I am looking forward to see what the new Ziebold restaurant will be like almost as much as I am looking forward to what Frank Ruta's next thing will be.

Frank Ruta is doing Bread Feast starting this Thursday (see Washington Post article for details on the menu and tickets).

"other side of the park"

First time I've ever heard this expression.  Sorry, but it just really caught my attention.

When living here in DC while writing Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, Hunter Thompson described living in Mt. Pleasant as, "the wrong side of Rock Creek Park."

• Like 1

I live right on the East side of the park in Mt. Pleasant. (Literally one block from the Park). I have a car. For some reason I feel like driving to Dupont or 11th street is closer than the quick spin down Park road or Klingle to Cleveland Park or Van Ness. It is not logical. I need to consciously fight this feeling.

Does anyone know if they permit corkage?  Would be a great place to get together with Pool Boy and his wife to share some special bottles.

To answer my own question, I sent an e-mail to Mark Furstenberg and he responded with:

Yes, we will charge a fee, $25, but welcome your wine.

Pool Boy?  T-Rep?

DW - Next time!!

We made it there this past Thursday. I will post some pictures and impressions shortly. In brief - the food and dinner (and wines luckily enough) were great. I got to actually meet and chat with Frank! Met great people (there was an all star cast of diners there it turned out) and had a fun time. I still crave the whole Palena-esque package, which this did not quite do, but it scratched my itch for Frank & age food most assuredly.

And the bread from Mark and his team was exceptional!

More with pics and further commentary hopefully later this weekend. Gotta clean the whole house for a brunch we're hosting tomorrow! GAH!

OK time to take a quick break from cleaning and post about this. Parking is a little tricky behind the row of shops and I could not find any parking that was generically for anyone to use (they all had signs - for Burger King customers only, etc). So I parked easily on Yuma Street where parking on at least one side of the street does not require a permit and is free after 6:30pm.

Bread Furst is a nice space for a bakery (and pastry) goodness. It's bright and clean and I must go back to buy breads and other goodies soon.  It is not exactly the best place for a restaurant feast because of the long and skinny layout of it all. There are some two and four table spaces, but the bulk of the diners, including my wife and I, were in the center long table set for 16. A little cramped (I am a big guy), and chairs not very comfortable, but it worked.

They had several antipasti items set up along the counters and you basically just mill about, meet people, and load up on the goods for 20-30 minutes digging in. The goat cheese tarts with crispy artichoke were a delight and paired well with some process we had to kick things off (they have wines and drinks to purchase at the beginning and throughout the night). The mixed lettuces salad with crudites were great especially so because of one of the two dressings (it was eggy and vinaigrette at the same time). The sardines were killer. I could have snarfed the entire tray of them all to myself, clean and sumptuous and rustic-i-fide by the tomato-y sauce with it. There was also a green creamy sauce at this station along with some mind blowing rye bread. Not sure what the green sauce was but it was delicious and the rye is something I must have again soon. One of the things they forgot to post about on the menu was they had a large bowl of chicken liver mousse covered with tuffles and had other goodies on top of or floating within it. OMG. So good. They ran out of the accompanying bread quickly and I did not care. I used fork and fingers to scoop this into my mouth. My gosh.

Next course was a bread bowl filled with peppers, mushrooms and a perfect soft egg that you then doctored up yourself with a tomato sauce and cheese. Frank's done variations of this before at Palena (usually in puff pastry), and this was a treat. However, I think the bowls themselves got to be just a bit too crisp making eating the bread bowl a little bit more tricky. An obvious nod to using breads from Mark's wonderland of bread, it's a great idea, maybe it would work better if the bread walls were sliiiiiightly thicker to allow some of the chewiness of the bread to come through? But hey, I devoured it and loved it all just the same.

Then came the main course - a stuffed veal breast. What a triumph. The veal breast stuffed with all sorts of goodies, perfectly seasoned, littered with pistachios (I think) and other tidbits to provide contrast in textures and flavor - I was a pig and took two slices of this ultimately, plus a bit of an end piece. But the accompanying braised veggies played a strong part in this dish as well because, as is often the case with Frank's cooking, the supporting cast may just steal the show. The potato cream puffs were fun as well, but the veal, OMG.

Finally, we got to dessert where yet again, Aggie, in addition to all of her contributions to meal thus far, presented us all with a bowl of roasted and sauced(?) quince with little candied nuts (whether it was hazelnuts or almost it is hard to tell, or care because the shellac coating them was swoon worthy) sprinkled over top and then a white almond pavlova ( so delicate, light but chewy!) plus a light creamy puffy dollop of goodness on top for good measure. So. So. Good.

Here are a few pictures of the food (sorry we did not get pictures of everything!)"”

Bread Bowl

post-384-0-79550000-1414870913_thumb.jpg

Veal Breast Copy

post-384-0-81469200-1414870922_thumb.jpg

One of the things that I would love to see here, maybe, is doing something like Frank did at Palena for a bit where he did an all family style dinner all centered on beef. It is one of the more memorable meals of my life. Done with some DR folks, it was great to meet them, but the food was totally nuts crazy good. Not sure themed dinners are in the cards here, but maybe every once in a while? J

What was fun about a communal table experience was meeting some great folks "“ a couple on one side was in to California Pinot Noirs and brought three to share "“ a Williams Selyem, a Radio Coteau and another (Cobb?) (two producers I love and a new one to try!). We tried to share the Littorai Pinot we brought, hey, there was so much wine. Next time! On the other side was one of the folks on the chef staff of Ghibellina (Keith?) and Na (?) of Table. Nearby was Peter Pastan and wife Amy (of Obelisk and Two Amys) as well. Fun to meet everyone that was there.

The downside of communal tables is that it is difficult to have a personal or private conversation by its very nature "“ it is a communal table. So I missed the subtle intimacy and warmth of Palena, but I knew this would not be trying to replace that, but rather something new, exciting and fun. It was be awesome to figure out how to book the whole place with friends.

Probably the highlight of my night, though, was meeting my culinary hero, Frank Ruta himself. I know he hates the limelight, but my wife's gentle prodding of me to go meet him and shake his hand was met with warmth and a great smile, not to mention a chat about corned beef hash and after mentioning "˜Watch for Moose in roadway' signs in Maine, listening to Peter relay a moose story that was pretty funny.

post-384-0-41326000-1414870972_thumb.jpg

While dinners here will not scratch the itch of the entire Palena experience, and the limitation of (so far) only doing this on weeknights will make getting here at times more difficult, it absolutely fills my need, my wanton desire to have Frank and Aggie food once more.

• Like 5

One of the things that I would love to see here, maybe, is doing something like Frank did at Palena for a bit where he did an all family style dinner all centered on beef. It is one of the more memorable meals of my life. Done with some DR folks, it was great to meet them, but the food was totally nuts crazy good. Not sure themed dinners are in the cards here, but maybe every once in a while? J

We had a lot of fun at that head to tail beef dinner with you too, you are right that was crazy good.  I was hoping this would sort of be like that, as it was one of those meals I don't think I will ever forget.  But even to get moderately close to that would be great.  Thanks for taking and posting the pictures, as well as, the great write up.

We had a lot of fun at that head to tail beef dinner with you too, you are right that was crazy good.  I was hoping this would sort of be like that, as it was one of those meals I don't think I will ever forget.  But even to get moderately close to that would be great.  Thanks for taking and posting the pictures, as well as, the great write up.

I've love to see those pictures - does anyone have a link?

I don't see the "head-to-tail" dinner being a possibility here because I suspect BreadFurst just doesn't have the kitchen equipment and supplies to pull it off. That said, I'd be very surprised if Frank Ruta doesn't eventually take root somewhere on a more permanent basis (I have no information about this; I'm just hoping). And once he's back in his own kitchen, look out!

I wanted to put this here to shine a bit of light on Mark Furstenberg. ol_ironstomach had already posted the semi finalist list in the News & Media forum

I think it very, very cool that Mark made it to the semi final stage. For those that don't know the history, he's one of our country's most accomplished and talented bakers. He received a Beard nomination years ago for his Breadline sandwich shop by the White House which I used to go to all the time before he sold it and moved on. My office in the early 00s was nearby. He didn't win then and winning now would just be an awesome capstone on a wonderful career.

http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2015-restaurant-and-chef-award-semifinalists

James Beard would heartily approve of this bread and maybe even soak it buttered in warm milk. Returning from a three-day drive through fast accumulating, persistent, blowing and blinding lake effect snow in upstate New York and west of Toronto, only to be greeted at home by evening havoc on local roads encumbered by comparatively gentle precip, I was happy the next morning to find just around the corner from the rental car return a bakery up to providing the kind of sustenance I was looking for. There is much more on the shelves these days than when the store first opened, including whole cakes from which you can purchase thick wedges. The coconut cake is solid and in places turns creamy enough to feed a baby (the antithesis of the bone-dry slice I recently took home from the downtown place with the hard descending steps and reputation for the best fried chicken in town that turned into a bad joke when it arrived at the table). Sesame bagels are equally sturdy but so thin that you should ask for them sliced in half and watch when toasting them that they don't burn in their crustiest sections. I also asked for a loaf of olive levain to be sliced, not what I would usually order, but unless you have a lethally sharp knife you risk tearing the bread. The downside is that the bread will dry out faster, but keeping it in the fridge seems to work. Everyone by now should know what to expect from a Furstenberg loaf. You know from the crust it has gone through blistering fire. The crumb is nicely open and chewy, suffused in this case not just with the pronounced flavor of wheat but perfume in the ripened fruit, a generous amount of which has been added to the dough. The loaves these days seem to be normal-sized, but maybe I just haven't noticed the availability of the king-sized bread from earlier times that were sawed in half or smaller and sold by the pound. I mourn their absence, assuming they have departed. Their size, texture and depth of brown crust suggested something a Catholic boy might find in the pew, kneel down upon, and deem worthy of transubstantiation. 

James Beard would heartily approve of this bread and maybe even soak it buttered in warm milk. Returning from a three-day drive through fast accumulating, persistent, blowing and blinding lake effect snow in upstate New York and west of Toronto, only to be greeted at home by evening havoc on local roads encumbered by comparatively gentle precip, I was happy the next morning to find just around the corner from the rental car return a bakery up to providing the kind of sustenance I was looking for. There is much more on the shelves these days than when the store first opened..."

Entirely in agreement. The beyond-bread items on offer range well beyond bread and pastry. The have a pickling program. Cheeses. Homemade ketchup. A full lineup of books from P&P. Sandwiches, soups and prepared foods. Dairy including butter and Trickling Springs milk. And, of course, the coffee program replete with a Marzocco espresso machine and MadCap beans (but no pourovers or fresh brew!).

I've had or bought nearly all of it and, amazingly, everything (maybe with a slight exception for the coffee) is done very well. It's really as much a gourmet grocery, culinary library, coffee shop and cafe as it is a bakery.

My concern is that BreadFurst may be trying to do too much; be too much. No sign of any quality issues but it's tough to ensure sufficient profit across so many categories and the larger staff needed to keep it all humming. This was a problem at BreadLine also, by Mark's own admission.

At the end of the day, he's a national treasure. There is no place selling breads like his in the region. Maybe Clear Flour (a much more focused business by the way) in Brookline (Boston) is a peer. Like so very many others in this city who love food and love what Mark represents, I just want BF to endure. It's a business with real soul and importance way beyond what's on the shelves. I'm a little worried but doing my best to keep them in the black single handedly. :-)

• Like 2

Oh how I miss Bread Line circa 2002. It is what every sandwich shop should aspire to be.

Totally and unequivocally agree. But there was too much going on there in terms of options and traffic flow which caused issues. Those sandwiches though--oh my God. Likewise most of what BF sells today.

Great news for those of us who live further south in DC and can't often make it out to Bread Furst: The Whole Foods on P Street will begin carrying breads from BF this Thursday!

This is a big deal. Mark is exactly right that, as unfortunate the reality, this city doesn't have enough customers who value what a small artisan bakery does relative to SF and NY...though worth noting that the much smaller and more narrowly focused Clear Flour outside Boston has succeeded for a very long time. That aside, generating some reliable wholesale business is a big deal here indeed. Wishing him and other future bakeries well!

This is a big deal. Mark is exactly right that, as unfortunate the reality, this city doesn't have enough customers who value what a small artisan bakery does relative to SF and NY...though worth noting that the much smaller and more narrowly focused Clear Flour outside Boston has succeeded for a very long time. That aside, generating some reliable wholesale business is a big deal here indeed. Wishing him and other future bakeries well!

Mark should be targeting former Bonaparte customers, stat. While I have heard they may have reopened under new management, their customers are on shaky ground and ready to be plucked. Not that I wish an uphill battle on a reopened Bonapartes if that has happened.

Just tried the "breakfast banh mi" this morning.  That is one delicious sandwich!!!  The banh mi bun on it's own is always good - crusty on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.  But, the addition of a slice of their eggy frittata, combined with ever-so-slightly sweet and plenty vinegary (in a good way) vegetables, plus some mayo(?) makes for an unbelievably good sandwich.  My new favourite item at Bread Furst.

• Like 3

Rallied with some friends at BreadFurst late morning today and it was as packed as I've ever seen it. For reference and credibility, this was maybe my 50th visit or more? 60th?  Not sure.  Chocolate croissant, bagels, a sandwich, coffees, cappuccinos....all pretty fab though the traffic flow was as chaotic as ever and seating tough to come by...but we managed and had a lovely time there.  Friends of sophisticated palettes and a couple based in San Francisco, where this wouldn't be quite as unusual (though close).

For those who care about coffee details, be advised that BreadFurst is now in the process of phasing out MadCap as their supplier in favor of La Colombe.  Both are fine out-of-town roasters. MadCap HQed in Michigan and La Colombe in Philadelphia though the latter has its own shop next door to RJ Cooper at Rogue24.

I'm really pulling for the kind of crowd we saw today to take root during the week as well.  Really pulling for this third time to really be the charm for Mark Furstenberg and all the locals and other enthusiastic customers.  Pulling for BreadFurst to endure.

For those who care about coffee details, be advised that BreadFurst is now in the process of phasing out MadCap as their supplier in favor of La Colombe.  Both are fine out-of-town roasters. MadCap HQed in Michigan and La Colombe in Philadelphia though the latter has its own shop next door to RJ Cooper at Rogue24.

This is exciting news. I couldn't tell if the coffee there was lackluster because of the beans or the brewing method. Hopefully the former and this change will drastically improve the offering.

Rallied with some friends at BreadFurst late morning today and it was as packed as I've ever seen it. For reference and credibility, this was maybe my 50th visit or more? 60th?  Not sure.  Chocolate croissant, bagels, a sandwich, coffees, cappuccinos....all pretty fab though the traffic flow was as chaotic as ever and seating tough to come by...but we managed and had a lovely time there.  Friends of sophisticated palettes and a couple based in San Francisco, where this wouldn't be quite as unusual (though close).

I'm really pulling for the kind of crowd we saw today to take root during the week as well.  Really pulling for this third time to really be the charm for Mark Furstenberg and all the locals and other enthusiastic customers.  Pulling for BreadFurst to endure.

Indeed. I'd be a regular if it was easier for me to get to on a weekday. EDIT - Hmm, had a look and I now realize it is only a 3 metro stop ride away from my office, so this is theoretically doable when I feel I have time to indulge.

Indeed. I'd be a regular if it was easier for me to get to on a weekday. EDIT - Hmm, had a look and I now realize it is only a 3 metro stop ride away from my office, so this is theoretically doable when I feel I have time to indulge.

Pace and traffic-light dependent, it's a 5-10 minute walk from the Van Ness Metro stop (at Van Ness St) to BreadFurst, just south of Albemarle. Maybe, conservatively, an hour round trip time from Bethesda factoring in time waiting for and taking the train and time inside the shop, which has plenty of great distractions. :-)

Pace and traffic-light dependent, it's a 5-10 minute walk from the Van Ness Metro stop (at Van Ness St) to BreadFurst, just south of Albemarle. Maybe, conservatively, an hour round trip time from Bethesda factoring in time waiting for and taking the train and time inside the shop, which has plenty of great distractions. :-)

I really want to compare, head to head, BreadFurst's baguette with the ones I have been getting at FreshBaguette in Bethesda. That alone is reason enough for me to trek there, say, mid-day to have a looksee.

I really want to compare, head to head, BreadFurst's baguette with the ones I have been getting at FreshBaguette in Bethesda. That alone is reason enough for me to trek there, say, mid-day to have a looksee.

Am I imagining that they offer an Epí­ de Blé? I've had one very recently, and I *thought* it was from there, but I was also just in San Francisco, and am not entirely sure because I don't remember the remnants of one being at my house. Well anyway, I've always loved the shape of these things (the name translates to "ear of wheat" for obvious reasons), but not just because it's cool looking - which it is - but because you can rip off a piece, and have a perfect crust-to-mie ratio, and there's something about the way they're formed that (and I might be imagining this, but I think it's the additional crust) retains freshness longer than a standard baguette. I find myself buying these whenever I see them, as opposed to a baguette - plus each ear is a perfect size, just like a dinner roll, and with a little salted butter, it's awesome when baked correctly,

BreadFurst (BF) produces a much wider range of breads than FreshBaguette. Aside from the baguettes, the levain and brioche are real standouts at BF. The investment in equipment and people at BF is also much greater. And, beyond bread, BF also offers a much greater range of artisan/specialty foods ranging from preserved fruits, pickled vegetables and fabulous honey to housemade ketchup, cheeses, charcuterie, prepared foods and an extensive pastry program helmed by the former pastry chef at the White House. Mark F, the owner (and current Beard Award nominee, for the second time), is also on site at BF most days, very different from Fresh Baguette, which is a more absentee owner.

All that aside, I think the Fresh Baguette baguette is very good. But, for me it's a clear bronze medal with BF and Arlington's Leonora in the gold and silver positions, respectively. Will be interested to see which you like better. Clearly very fun "research"!

My main issue with FreshBaguette is that they are somewhat inconsistent. They are never, ever bad. It is just....sometimes the baguette is a little too thin, a little too thick, a little too light, a little too dark. Consistency has got to be one of the hardest things to nail in the food industry in general, and I would think in bread in particular.

This is exciting news. I couldn't tell if the coffee there was lackluster because of the beans or the brewing method. Hopefully the former and this change will drastically improve the offering.

Without getting too detailed, it's the brewing method. BreadFurst doesn't brew to order so no pourover, French press and the like. MadCap is a good roaster. So is La Colombe.

My main issue with FreshBaguette is that they are somewhat inconsistent. They are never, ever bad. It is just....sometimes the baguette is a little too thin, a little too thick, a little too light, a little too dark. Consistency has got to be one of the hardest things to nail in the food industry in general, and I would think in bread in particular.

This is interesting. I agree about inconsistency with restaurants but think that's because they're multivariate with different employees, many turning over rapidly, who all factor into a dining out experience. With restaurant food, if Chef X isn't there or a new sous is on the line, or ingredients are changed or cheapened, etc., etc.

But a higher end bakery run by an exceptionally skilled baker stipulates consistent ingredients, equipment and technique. I've bought bread at BF and Leonora more than FB but have some experience with all three with the most at BF by a good margin. I think BF's baguettes and other breads very consistent. Same as they were at Marvelous Market and at BreadLine when Mark Furstenberg owned those years ago. He's obsessive about quality; has always been that way.

Readers are jumping the gun a bit - Mark is in the midst of trying several coffees and has not reached a final decision. La Colombe is one of the candidates - when I heard from Mark today about this, no decision had been made.

Readers are jumping the gun a bit - Mark is in the midst of trying several coffees and has not reached a final decision. La Colombe is one of the candidates - when I heard from Mark today about this, no decision had been made.

Makes sense and, of course, he's the "decider in chief" so that has to be right.  When I was in earlier this past week, seemed pretty clear MadCap is being phased out and La Colombe was in the house but guess on trial.  Not sure what other roasters may be candidates but, really, won't matter as much so long as the roasts are decent if they don't fresh brew which they've never really done.  Coffee isn't the strong point. The program there simply isn't to the level of the breads and pastry...and most other foods for that matter.  Also not to the level of the city's better independent coffee houses but it's a bakery so probably can't and shouldn't expect that.

Makes sense and, of course, he's the "decider in chief" so that has to be right.  When I was in earlier this past week, seemed pretty clear MadCap is being phased out and La Colombe was in the house but guess on trial.  Not sure what other roasters may be candidates but, really, won't matter as much so long as the roasts are decent if they don't fresh brew which they've never really done.  Coffee isn't the strong point. The program there simply isn't to the level of the breads and pastry...and most other foods for that matter.  Also not to the level of the city's better independent coffee houses but it's a bakery so probably can't and shouldn't expect that.

I just wanted to say you and Pool Boy both had an excellent back-and-forth. All posts were on topic, and both posters were making good points with each new post.