Taiwan/Republic of China

astrid

Anyone have good recommendations for Taiwan?  I've been roped into a family trip to Taiwan, probably for a week in April.  5 Mandarin speaking adults.  Looking to stay primarily around Taipei but will probably rent a car to get around.  Suggestions for food, tea, shopping, musuems are all most welcomed.

All I know is that it isn't really worth renting a car. The buses, mrt, and taxis make it so easy to travel when you're not on foot. Start with Bourdain's recent show, then watch Zimmern's episode, and mix it with some of Eddie Huang's stuff to get a sense of where to go, other than the big night markets.

• Like 1

Back from Taiwan.  Didn't do much good eating because my travel companions were very budget and convenience oriented.  I did persuade them to splurge on a dinner at Mitsui (No. 30 location) and that was exceptional.  The quality is on par with the best of Sushi Taro and the prices were maybe 50-60% less than equivalents in the US.

I did not enjoy the night markets at all (which was unfortunately highly featured on our dinner rotation due to the budget and convenience orientation), the food was mediocre and lacked nuance.

With the exception of http://hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/, the English language reviews/sources did not prove very helpful for me.  The 2014 LP Taiwan guide is worthless and I found the 2011 Rough Guide Taiwan to be much better.  Tripadvisor was okay for Taipei, but really fell off for other locations.

Goodeats is totally right about getting around by public transportation and taxi - Taiwan's public transportation options are clean/convenient/cheap and the locals are wonderfully helpful.  For Hualien/Taroko Gorge, we chartered a taxi for a day for less than $100

Overall, I really enjoyed the trip and would definitely like to go back to explore more scenery/food with +1.

• Like 2

I really should have written down places I visited this past summer, but I'll do a better job at taking notes this summer. If your visit consists mostly of staying in Taipei, here are some useful tips:

1. Cash is king. Like Chinese restaurants here, most people pay with cash or their MRT reloadable (YoYo EasyCard). Many department stores and larger restaurants will accept a credit card, but only an EMV chip + pin (sometimes a chip + signature is accepted, but I got rejected at one of the places) is 100% guaranteed to work. Every other type of credit card has some percentage of being rejected.

2. The MRT and buses are awesome! Prior to going, you'll want to download the MRT app (iTunes or Google Play) or Bus app (iTunes) to help you navigate.

3. Free Wifi in Taipei! It was nice to not have to purchase a cell service with data plan here or pay extra for global service. If you can swap out SIM cards, I highly advise doing so, since cell plans are cheap in Taiwan. If you want to buy a local plan, please do so at the airport mobile shops. This is because if you buy a SIM card or a prepay plan at the airport, you only need to show 1 form of ID (i.e., passport) and credit card. Otherwise, it gets complicated if you try to do it at the local convenience store.

4. Convenience stores are super convenient in Taiwan. If you get hungry and need to eat at that very moment, visit a convenient store to recharge. They often have fun promotions or collectibles (great souvenirs) and you can pay with your MRT EasyCard, too, if you want to save your cash to spend elsewhere.

Definite must go places:

1. National Palace Museum. Remember, "jade cabbage." There are nice dining options at the museum, too.

2.  HUASHAN 1914 CREATIVE PARK. Once an abandoned factory, it has now become a hub for creative stores and artists. If you go, please stop by FAB Cafe for some nice coffee selections.

3. Taipei Zoo and Maokong Gondola. Yuan Zai is the zoo's main attraction, but remember to grab a time-stamp ticket, if you want to visit the Panda House, as it is strictly regulated. The gondola ride (also payable with your MRT card) is worth the trip, as the green, lush scenery is quite unforgettable.

4. Night markets.

5. Sun Yat Sen and Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Halls. Even if you disagreed with their politics or their personalities, the architecture alone is worth visiting for both places.

6. Bookstores. Go to any. I feel like the ones here all pale in comparison.

7. Ximending. A great place to shop or eat--this is a popular area to see old Japanese colonial architecture or try some Taiwanese classics, like Plum or Starfruit juices.

8. Taipei 101. The food court has a wide variety of options, plus the view is unbeatable.

Taiwanese famous chains and must-try eats:

1. Din Tai Fung. Xiao Long Bao. Xinyi location is their original store and one most people visit, but if you are doing some shopping at the Fuxing SOGO department store anyway, that location is pretty good too.

2. 85 degrees. Still a pretty popular bakery, it's worth visiting to see the hype, even if there are better places.

3.  Coffee. Artisan coffee has taken off in the past few years to the point that Taiwan is cultivating its own coffee beans. The Taiwan Loves Coffee blog is a good reference.

4. Whisky and beer. Of course, Taiwan Beer is famous for its bland, light taste, but did you know it comes in lychee or pineapple flavors there? Definitely missing out. ;-) The craft brew scene is catching on as well as cocktail programs in restaurants. The bonus with whisky is that Kavalan distillery caught most countries by surprise with its win a few years back.

5. Taiwanese famous foods. Too many to list, so here is a link, starting with the famous pineapple cakes.

• Like 4

Well, I guess I can say that little man and I had some fun at a Taiwan-themed restaurant tonight:  Modern Toilet.

There is a similar knock-off in LA-area, but cannot say the food was worth the trip. I can say I am no longer curious about themed-restaurants....

And yes, while I can add to the list above, I think it's a decent list that I am not going to expand upon, unless someone posts asking for guidance here about something in Taiwan.

Also, I don't see Taiwan in the index...

Well, I guess I can say that little man and I had some fun at a Taiwan-themed restaurant tonight:  Modern Toilet.

There is a similar knock-off in LA-area, but cannot say the food was worth the trip. I can say I am no longer curious about themed-restaurants....

And yes, while I can add to the list above, I think it's a decent list that I am not going to expand upon, unless someone posts asking for guidance here about something in Taiwan.

Also, I don't see Taiwan in the index...

My girlfriend and I are going to Taipei for five days at the beginning of September.  She's got family there and has been before, but this is my first time.  Very excited!  Will try to report back with my favorite food stops of the trip.

The tips above still apply, here's some other Taipei bits from a trip earlier this year:

- A little knowledge of Mandarin goes a long way, but it's not essential. Taiwan uses non-simplified traditional characters in writing, except when it's a hassle. Except for govt buildings and maybe official documents, most signs use the simplified forms for "Tai" and "Wan" 

- Taiwan has adopted pinyin (what PRC and most of the world uses) so Google Translate will work pretty well. City and business names might still use the older (Wade-Giles?) romanization system: Taipei, KaoHsiung, Chunghwa Telecom, etc but Google maps will reflect that. The 2 systems are generally similar enough so I only remember one instance on an older bus where there was an obvious mismatch: an upcoming stop notice had the "run" sound and should have been spelled "ren" but had "jen" instead. Google Maps does need to work on some of the English translations, or there's a huge chain called Japanese Restaurant no one is talking about.

- If you're planning travel in Jan-Feb, be aware of when Chinese/Lunar New Year falls. It is a huge holiday so most places will be closed at least a few days, including some night markets. The Sky Lantern festival (like that scene from Tangled) is 2 weeks after CNY in Pingxi, about an hr east of Taipei. I think last year they added a second mass release during the Mid-Autumn/Moon festival; the 2018 date is coming up, Sep 24.

- I had no problem getting a local SIM with just my passport at an official mobile carrier store in town (big 3 are Chunghwa, FarEastOne and Taiwan Mobile) but it might be trickier at a convenience store or night market. Some of these retail stores have odd hours; the one I went to didn't open until noon. I would recommend one of the prepaid 4G plans designed for tourists (x days of unlimited 4G/LTE data, plus some finite airtime you will probably never use up) - the airport locations offer some additional options not available in town and I believe the pricing for these prepaid plans is standard across carriers. Some of the tiers were 10 days for 500twd, 15 days/700twd and 30 days/1000twd. If you're only doing Taipei or big cities, any carrier should be OK; Chunghwa is supposed to have the best coverage nationally.

- Cash is still universally accepted. If a place does not accept one card network, it's probably going to be Amex - the ads are true. You'll need cash at night markets or small snack shops, although I did see a stall that accepted mobile payments (local TW platforms you're unlikely to have).  

- I preferred the bus over MRT/subway unless I had a firm destination - it's slower but I could see where I was going and jump off if we passed something distracting/interesting. Bus fares are cheaper than the MRT but it's all peanuts compared to the US (MRT starts at 30twd = 1usd, bus is 15twd). At a bus stop, wave/raise your hand when your bus is approaching or it will drive on without stopping. There will be a sign inside the bus, usually high on the opposite wall as you board, indicating whether you tap your YoYo card as you get on or off (you can also pay cash at the front by the driver). Sometimes the scheme will flip mid-ride (not sure why) and the driver will make an announcement; you don't need to tap again if you've already paid.

- Bring a reusable bag to a supermarket like Wellcome or PXMart to avoid a surcharge for plastic bags. Food stands and snack shops will include them for free, go figure. There are a few Carrefour hypermarts scattered around town too (like a Walmart) with extended hours. If you're looking to buy a case of fruit (maybe to take home, if you live somewhere that doesn't seem to worry about invasive species) there's a big wholesale fruit & vegetable market across the street from Addiction Aquatic Development. I assume this is where the local fruit stands and markets get their stock. I don't know how people differentiate between vendors; we went to the one recommended by my aunt, mainly so I wouldn't have to lie if asked about it later.

- If you're walking around in the evening, you might hear a snippet of Fur Elise playing on a loop. It's the trucks that pick up household trash and recycling every day at specific times/locations. Unless you're staying at an apt, you won't need to deal with it (some apt buildings also have staff that handle it; you put your bagged trash out in the hall at night). Fur Elise is the most common tune but I've also seen/heard a few that play something resembling the old Chi-Chis fried ice cream jingle.

- I'm not much of a drinker but I thought the cocktails at East End in the Proverbs hotel were very good, I liked it better than Alchemy and R&D.

- US chains you'd expect to see in Taipei: KFC (definitely), McDonald's, Burger King, maybe Subway
- Not my first guess but OK: TGIF, Hooters, Ruth's Chris, Morton's
- Wait, what: Honey Pig (Korean BBQ in Annandale/Ellicott City/DC area)
- The Din Tai Fung website has a tool to check curent wait times for all its TW locations.

I may have some food recommendations in a later post once I sort them out. Tentatively:
- breakfast/snacks/night markets
- regular sitdown spots (like DTF)
- Japanese
- fancy schmancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a wonderful time.  

We only made it out for a drink once and our host (Hubby's friend) wanted to show us a place he goes to watch American Football. very American kitch bar (Think surf board and football helmet and washboard as decorations)

Great vegetarian buffet across from Fuzhong station in new Taipei city called Yuan  Yuan Vegetarian Restaurant

About a block and a half from Fuzhong station that is Zoo Cafe a small coffee shop with fun art on the coffee and animal decorated pancakes (Slow service but nice break )

Also a good dumplings meal at the cafe near gift shop at Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall 

Nice set menu at Tokiya a small chain of 'Japanese-style' restaurants

Two different night markets

Many versions of 'noodles meat and broth'

For phone we used Klook - rented a wifi and kept our phones on airplane mode. 

As of April 2019, MUME has moved to a tasting menu only format; the second seating has an added option of a slightly longer menu (2880NT or 3680NT). Previously it was a la carte with a min spend of 1500NT per person, which wasn't that difficult to reach (apps around 500NT, mains 900NT).