Flint Hill Public House and Country Inn, Flint Hill, Virginia - William Waybourn and Craig Spaulding Have Reopened the Institution

Welcome aboard Rappahannock! Maybe you can guide us city/suburb dwellers to some hidden dining gems that are worth a drive out there or a good place to seek out on a weekend. Glad to have you here smile.gif
I have to say (full disclosure) I am biased... My wife and I own and operate the Public House in Flint Hill. But I can highly recommend our neighbors (and pals) Four and Twenty Blackbirds. People call us competitors, but we are great neighbors. It's cool to have great neighbors... We should probably start another post as this really doesn't have anything to do with the Inn. Who, I have to say, are great neighbors as well. We get quite a bit of business from them with their overnight guests that are staying multiple nights.

I have to say (full disclosure) I am biased... My wife and I own and operate the Public House in Flint Hill. But I can highly recommend our neighbors (and pals) Four and Twenty Blackbirds. People call us competitors, but we are great neighbors. It's cool to have great neighbors... We should probably start another post as this really doesn't have anything to do with the Inn. Who, I have to say, are great neighbors as well. We get quite a bit of business from them with their overnight guests that are staying multiple nights.

Your part of Rappahannock County is so beautiful! A minimum of two visits per summer were part of our routine when my daughter went to camp nearby--she has unfortunately "graduated" now, and it's harder to find the time to make the trip. A question-- what is your neighbor Heidi, the one-time goat-cheese maker up to these days? We visited her farm and bought cheese from her many times, and were disappointed when she decided not to sell directly to the public anymore.

Your part of Rappahannock County is so beautiful! A minimum of two visits per summer were part of our routine when my daughter went to camp nearby--she has unfortunately "graduated" now, and it's harder to find the time to make the trip. A question-- what is your neighbor Heidi, the one-time goat-cheese maker up to these days? We visited her farm and bought cheese from her many times, and were disappointed when she decided not to sell directly to the public anymore.
She actually has started a Dairying School (cow). The goat cheese biz was killing her and was impossible to keep up with demand. I'll get some info from her if/when she is teaching another class. My wife took it and was fascinated. I worked on a dairy farm as a kid growing up in Wisconsin and thought my wife might enjoy it.

I absolutely love the Public House. But also (full disclosure) I cooked there in the early 90's. :)

We are proud to announce our next wine event featuring nine vintages of one of California's finest. The evenings speaker is friend (and neighbor) Matthew Tucker of the Country Vintner. Should be a damn fine evening in the country...

Space is limited, price: $185. (includes tax and gratuity)

Menu:

Araujo Estate Wines

October 28, 2006

DINNER

Marinated Big-Eye Tuna

Aztec Beans, Arugula & Pomegranate Syrup

Pan-Roasted Squab

Vanilla Scented Beet Puree

Dry Aged Lamb Loin

Rapini Noodles & Sun Chokes

Veal Sweetbreads

Cabernet-Truffle Jelly & Fig Chips

Intermezzo

Hanger Steak

Pinenuts & Wild Mushrooms

Salad

Cheeses

Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard

1993 – 1994 – 1995 – 1996 – 1997 – 1998 – 1999 – 2000 – 2001

Rosenblum Cellars Winemaker’s Dinner

Saturday, March 31st at 7:00pm

Flint Hill Public House -- Flint Hill, VA

Five Courses

Cured Salmon with Shaved Fennel Slaw

Roussanne 2005

Cioppino

Petite Sirah Heritage Clones 2005

Magret Duck with Swiss Chard & Goat Cheese

Syrah Hillside Vineyards 2004

“Five Degrees of Hanger Steak”

Zinfandel North Coast 2005

Zinfandel Redwood Valley Annette’s Reserve 2004

Pistachio Cannolli

Black Muscat Gallagher’s Reserve 2005

Price is $79.00 per person (includes tax and gratuity)

Contact information:

Flint Hill Public House

John and Denise Pearson chef/owners

540-675-1700

675 Zachary Taylor Hwy

Flint Hill, VA 22627

www.flinthillpublichouse.com

Will Dr. Kent be there himself, by any chance? He's a wonderful guy.

Rosenblum is, to me, along with Ridge the two absolute staples one must have as far as Zin goes.

Do you realize that, in any given year, Rosenblum releases up to 38 different wines? It's truly amazing. Great quality all around.

No, I had hoped but he had a scheduling conflict. Walter Seligman will be here. And you are right, he IS a great guy. Had a chance to meet many years ago through Spencer Graham.

Having found out via a UVa sports-and-politics website, of all places, what Spencer has been up to, I got a bottle of the Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Pinot for myself for Christmas via K&L and shared it with my wife New Years Day. It was exquisite.

Over thirty years ago my then-girlfriend and I baby-sat Spencer's Great Pyrenees, Dudley, while he had a year of post-graduate adventures, and stuff. Great dog. Great guy.

Having found out via a UVa sports-and-politics website, of all places, what Spencer has been up to, I got a bottle of the Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Pinot for myself for Christmas via K&L and shared it with my wife New Years Day. It was exquisite.

Over thirty years ago my then-girlfriend and I baby-sat Spencer's Great Pyrenees, Dudley, while he had a year of post-graduate adventures, and stuff. Great dog. Great guy.

Spencer is quite a guy. Love his wines too. My sous chef was out there in March and got to visit his tasting room. Had a blast.

Jeez, for all the chat, it seems as though none of you people actually eat here.

So, since it looks to be another glorious weekend along the Blue Ridge I want you to throw a clean set of clothes in the trunk; motor out to the Shenadoahs; spend all day working up an appetite hiking, swimming in creeks (it's going to be 85 degrees!) and exploring the old mountain towns with their kitsch and antique shops and kitschy antique shops (Millwood! Dinosaurland! The Jeane Dixon Museum!); and then head over to Flint Hill for a fine meal. You can change in the bathroom, if you don't change in the woods. :blink:

What do you get? I got the duck breast, and was pretty dang pleased. My daughter got the steak (wood-grilled, as I recall) and wasn't pleased but she knows squat -- it was brilliant. So she ate the potaoes, which are unhealthily addictive and I ate the steak, as well as my duck: half at dinner and half from a doggie bag. The kitchen -- I should say our kind hosts John & Denise Colvin Pearson aka Mr. & Ms. Rappahannock -- were kind enough to throw in an extra dollop of spuds for the girl so we both had Flint Hill for lunch the next day. Mrs. B was quite keen on her carpaccio (though a little less so on the onion soup) and there was some fine bluefish (I believel) swimming through the scene, as well. Also of note: a fine vegetarian plate assembled for my communist friend Beth.

The pumpkin gnocchis were much beloved as starter courses, though I was quite pleased with the anti-gnocchi: squid and cucumber in a chili sause that had as much fire as the gnocchi had elegance. The wine list had a fine selection of inexpensive selections and some swell high-end stuff. I am looking for an excuse to crawl into a couple of Bordeaux one night, perhaps when we've taken a room at the House and don't face a lengthy drive home. I confess to wishing that there was more mid-price stuff on the list; in a lot of varietals you jump from $35 to $65 dollars with little in between, but that's something I can live with since I generally careen randomly from thriftiness to spendthriftiness without much use for the sensible middle ground.

It's almost axiomatic that, unless you get lucky or are travelling the Barbecue Belt, food in backcountry America pretty much sucks. Flint Hill would be a delight anywhere, to be be able to eat on a back porch (bring a sweaqter) at the foot of the Blue Ridge while the sun sets on a perfect day makes it a real treasure. You owe it to yourself.

Winemaker's Dinner with Jim Law of Linden Vineyards. Saturday, November 17th @ 6:30. Details to follow...
We actually changed the date due to a scheduling conflict...

The menu:

Six Courses

Trio of Kumamoto Oysters

cedar smoked with kumquat relish

on the half shell with cucumber mignonette

blue cornmeal fried with chipotle butter

Seyval 2006

Foie Gras & Wild Mushroom Tourchon

with duck fat brioche & a fried quail egg

Chardonnay Hardscrabble 2005

Green Papaya Salad

with sea scallops & sambal-citrus vinaigrette

Vidal-Riesling 2005

Waygu Beef “Saku Block”

with chimichurri aioli & fried shallot strings

Claret 2003

Cardamom Spiced Lamb Shoulder

with sous vide plums & cocoa nibs

BitterSweet 2004

Toasted Hazelnut Bread Pudding

with tangerine confit

Late Harvest Vidal 2006

Price is $89. per person (includes tax and gratuity). Dinners with Jim usually sell out pretty quick, so if anyone is interested, give us a call at 540-675-1700

Hope you can join us!

We happened to be in the area tonight and stopped by for dinner. Easily one of the better dinners I've had, especially considering the prices. Starters were $7-10$, entrees $20-$25, deserts $5-$8, and wines were $20-$30 for the most part. The overall atmosphere of the place is very cozy, with a fireplace in the dining area and only 8-10 tables total (only 7 tonight but there was a large group so I'm not exactly certain of the normal number of tables).

PJASchultz started with the gnocchi with butternut squash and marsapone. It was almost a butternut squash soup that it came in and was quite tasty. The gnocchi were little pillows of goodness and the marscapone brought the two elements together. I was seriously jealous as it was the starter I wanted to get but she talked me into getting something else so she could get the gnocchi. We had the discussion during dinner that butternut squash was almost one of those things that's done too often but in this case it was excellent.

I had the duck rilette croustade to start. Quite good and had a bit of a peppery taste which I didn't expect but didn't quite compete with te gnocchi.

For entrees we had the pork loin wtih a apple, onion, and blue cheese tart. The pork was very juicy, helped out by the apple reduction sauce and the apple tart set it off very well. PJASchultz thought it was the best pork that she had had. The other entree was a sirloin with blue cheese and mashed potatoes. The sirloin was cooked to temperature properly and had a nice char on the outside and the blue cheese (which was a wedge of blue cheese, not crumbles or a blue cheese sauce) was a nice touch. Other options with the sirloin were grilled onions or grilled mushrooms. The potatoes were lumpy and wonderfully tasty.

Overall, I wouldn't drive out here from DC for dinner, but if I were in the area already I definitely will make sure to stop in. And if I were contemplating being in the area, Flint Hill Public House might tip the scales into making sure I go.

oh I am so very sad. I had many a good time out there, including more than one occasion on which we went for lunch, stayed for dinner, and slept in the room upstairs. if I had known, I would have gotten there for a good-bye dinner.

I told my daughter today that we might head out to the mountains next week and and she quickly asked if we could go to "that place with the great steaks" after finding a swimming hole or twp ("the best I ever had except for that one in France"). She was bummed, as am I by the closure. Which brings the follow-up question, "is there anyplace else with similar quality fare located that close to the mountains?" Ashby Inn seems too close to the city and perhaps too genteel. Is Apartment 2G the way to go? Does it have good steak?

Well actually... We haven't quite closed yet. Sorry Don, I should have given you an update but have been too busy as I've actually been working at Whole Foods in Fair Lakes running their little seafood venue to make ends meet. The fat lady is warming up in the wings but no aria yet. The fact is with gas and food prices on a steep rise as well as vendors now charging a fuel charge to every invoice, it just isn't viable to be open anymore. We had a great time, we wouldn't have changed a thing!! 13+ years is quite a run for any restaurant!! We only wished we were closer to civilization and people who appreciate great food and wine at affordable prices... I had told Don earlier when our liquor license was due and we weren't sure what to do. We just decided to renew it anyway without the liquor part which actually makes the license quite affordable. We will be closed this weekend for about a week so Denise can spend Father's Day with her dad and will probably make a solid decision upon her return.

So... If you would like to check us out, call first, we'd love to have you (while we still can have you!)!

An update on Flint Hill Public House: drove by there this past weekend. For Sale Sign by the road and does not appear to be open for business. Food at the Griffin Tavern is not worth the trip. It is a fun place to have a drink but that is it.

An update on Flint Hill Public House: drove by there this past weekend. For Sale Sign by the road and does not appear to be open for business. Food at the Griffin Tavern is not worth the trip. It is a fun place to have a drink but that is it.

This is especially sad. The owner of the Flint Hill Public House was a frequent contributor on this board. Passionate, dedicated and proud his wonderful and delicious inn will be missed.

We tried to hold out as long as we could just hoping things would turn around. Wishful thinking I guess. We did have a pretty good run. The Public House was in operation for 16 years and we had it for almost 14 of it. We have thought long and hard as to what we could have done differently and, quite frankly, outside hitting the lottery, we would do it exactly the same way. Just ran into an economy that came to a screeching halt. People do have to realize what's out here... The entire population of our county (Rappahannock) is only 6900 people and 60% of them only live here on the weekends. We have no strip malls, no fast food, no grocery stores (save the local country general stores) and not even one single stop light. Cool place to live but a terrible one to run a business.

In all seriousness though, there are businesses out here that will struggle to get through the winter and need support from you "city folk"! Unfortunately in talking with some of them I fear one or two may fail. I can highly recommend my pals at the e-cow (Epicurious Cow) in Ben Venue for a hearty lunch and all your gourmet shopping needs and dinner at the Thornton River Grill in Sperryville. The latter can be a hit and miss experience but their prices are fair and the service is small town friendly. There is also some home spun flavor at Rae's Place in Sperryville for the very casual diner.

Don't forget the local wineries and BnB's too! If anyone wants some "local" advice for attractions out here do not hesitate to drop me a line.

It was sold this summer and they are pumping a ton of cash into it. I do not know the particulars but the word is they will have 4 overnight suites and will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 7 days a week. I think they are going for the slightly more casual diner. I'll keep you posted.

It was sold this summer and they are pumping a ton of cash into it. I do not know the particulars but the word is they will have 4 overnight suites and will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 7 days a week. I think they are going for the slightly more casual diner. I'll keep you posted.

dear rappahannock:

please open a restaurant in Warrenton.

that is all.

sincerely,

southdenverhoo

Hi John,

I don't know if you recall Patrick & Susan O'Shea who had a B&B in Flint Hill 10 years ago?

We were living in NJ, & in 1996 or 1997 I had the bright idea of a weekend in VA doing as many vineyard tastings as could be fit in. I explained to Susan that it was a good way to see the state. We were staying in a B&B way to the southeast of Charlottesville. Our Sunday excursion found us at Naked Mountain as the light was failing. With a long trip back to the B&B, I asked if it was possible to get a good meal thereabouts on a Sunday night.

And so, we were directed to the Public House. Not exactly next door. It was a cold early spring day & there was torrential rain falling as we drove through. One can easily miss Flint Hill on a sunny day, but thankfully, we spotted the Public House.

An extraordinary meal. Flint Hill was now on our mental map, & we decided that we would come back soon.

By the end of 2000, we were living in Flint Hill. We would eat at 4&20 too, & had fine meals there, but I was always more in tune with the thinking behind the menu - & the execution - at the Public House.

I had retired early, & wondered if I should join the Lunch Bunch. Lisle Carter told me that I was "too young for that". I joined in twice, I think, but preferred to come with Susan & not solve the problems of the world.

Sue & I remember that great Fat Tuesday dinner you & Denise gave.

In 2005, Susan & I sold up & moved to Asheville NC. In the olds days when we first knew it, there were two good restaurants & downtown was a bit iffy after dark. We came here at the time that retirees had made it possible for restaurants to switch from seasonal tourism to year-round.

Asheville is now a foodie (& much else) destination. All of our favorite restaurants of 7 years ago are still operating. New restaurants have opened during the economic downturn. Lesser restaurants have come & gone, but the trend has been positive.

If the Public House were in Asheville, I'd find a way to be there each week. There is always room for a special restaurant here. Retirees flocking in; most with more money than we have. That money has raised the level of the food, I feel.

Well, it was sad to hear that the Public House as we knew it is no more. But if you & Denise want to check out Asheville, we can put you up. It would be great to see you again.

Best, -Patrick

Patrick, we remember the Flint Hill Public House and Four and Twenty Blackbirds. Wonderful memories of both! But we also have wonderful-and recent-memories of Table in Asheville.

A great city to retire to. Even for 65 year olds like ourselves...

Joe,

Table is a particular favorite. Voting with my feet, I see that we have been to Table, Curate & Bouchon these past few weeks. Cucina 24 before that.

No shortage of great restaurants, but always room for one more, it seems.

When Katie Button opened Curate a year back, I wondered how it would fare in this economy - & I was uncertain about the location - but the place is usually packed, & it's pointless trying to get a reservation at short notice. I haven't seen any impact on Table or Bouchon.

Katie got some mileage from her time at El Bulli, but her success is (I believe) due to the number of people here who appreciate fine food.

I'm 64 now; 57 when we arrived. Best thing we ever did. Such a life-affirming place for all ages.

Our son met his wife at the Inn at Little Washington. They later moved to San Francisco (Gary Danko's). Eventually visited us & decided to relocate. So we now have the pleasure of seeing our granddaughter grow - another foodie, I think.

-Patrick

This place is worth a stop if you're in the area. My wife and I have been there a few times in the last couple of months and have always enjoyed it, and shocker of all shockers, the executive chef was there, *cooking* every time we've been there! They have two main dining rooms and a bar area in the back with a porch that looks out onto a nice yard/garden. They also have rooms available upstairs and if you hit it right, you can get some great deals. Back in Dec or early Jan, they had rooms for 70 bucks a night I think, and this is a B&B style place.

Anyhow, we were there last friday night and I was thrilled to see that four and a half pages of their five page wine list was Virginia wines!! Even more exciting was they had some wines $12, $15 and $22 per BOTTLE! They had them in very limited quantites, and our first choice was sold out, but it was still a refershing surprise.

They also have lots of events like wine dinners and tastings and music festivals.

post-3390-0-40417500-1369839245_thumb.jp

• Like 1