Left Door, An Adult Cocktail Bar by Tom Brown - Opening at 14th and S Street Tuesday, Jan 5, 2016

Ah, for Christ sake. I'm a grandpa (and a new dad!). Kids these days, and all that! What I meant to relay is that Left Door will cater to a more refined palate, in a more refined setting. I've done some fun and whimsical bars, (NY Ave Beach Bar, Hogo) now I'd like to present something that reflects another side of the prism. There's a time and a place for a beer and a shot but, I'm feeling more champagne and caviar on this project.

• Like 4

Ah, for Christ sake. I'm a grandpa (and a new dad!). Kids these days, and all that! What I meant to relay is that Left Door will cater to a more refined palate, in a more refined setting. I've done some fun and whimsical bars, (NY Ave Beach Bar, Hogo) now I'd like to present something that reflects another side of the prism. There's a time and a place for a beer and a shot but, I'm feeling more champagne and caviar on this project.

Do what you want to do and start by satisfying yourself and/or any investors with your plan.  The day you satisfy everyone is the day there is something terribly wrong with human brain power.

A few more details about Left Door are in this write up from Jessica Sidman at the Washington City Paper.

Left Door opens tomorrow but MichaelBDC and I were invited to a preview of the place on New Years Eve. I am not going to lie, I was afraid that Left Door would be a little bit too refined for me, one who loved The Passenger until that last drop of alcohol was poured and mourns its (temporary) closing to this day. However, after one very fun and lovely evening at Left Door, I am very excited about this place. Left Door's vibe reminds me of the early days of The Gibson (I haven't been in a long time) with the Tom Brown touch lending to a more relaxed and less pretentious atmosphere. There are a few tables, and one very cozy corner overlooking S St. The bar nice, long, and white marble. What impressed me the most about the space is the attention to detail throughout, from the speakers, to the lamp shades, to the glassware. Tom did an amazing job of the space.

For all the people who loved the Passenger but felt it could get a little chaotic at times, Tom probably had you in mind when he opened Left Door (though I can't speak for him). I'm looking forward to many visits here in the near future.

• Like 3