Gin Recipes - Letting the Gin Take Center Stage

Personally, I'm not a huge fan, but a gin Rickey would certainly let the gin come through. My fave gin cocktail is the Last Word - equal parts gin, green Chartreuse, Maraschino liqueur, lime juice.

Thanks all - I'll need to put these in the queue. We decided to try 'The Sound and the Slurry, out of a book, Tequila Mockingbird.

2 oz gin

1/2 oz creme de cassis

1/2 oz lemon juice

We'll see tonight.

This is actually quite good and so easy.  We're thinking or making a rhubarb gin fizz next. Or one of the above suggestions!

One of my favorite writers is John D. MacDonald.  He wrote a series featuring a character named Travis McGee.  Here is a cocktail Travis enjoyed (from Pale Gray for Guilt):

"Two ample old-fashioned glasses, side by side, filled to the two thirds line with cracked ice. A big, unmeasured slosh of dry sherry into each glass. Then swiftly, the strainer placed across the top of one and then the other, as with a delicate snap of the wrist he dumped the sherry down the drain. Then fill to the ice level with Plymouth gin, rub the lemon peel around the inside of the rim, pinch some little floating beads of citrus oil on the surface of the drink, throw away the peel, present with small tidy bow and flourish to the folk. 'Two McGees,' said he."

Later in the series, Travis switches to Boodles, saying that beancounters got to Plymouth and quality suffered.

I like the cocktail.  The sherry (I use Fino) adds a dark note to the herbal flavors of the gin and the lemon adds brightness.  Of course, my enjoyment is in part owing to my love of the books and this one in particular.

• Like 2

Martinez : gin and sweet vermouth 50/50. Carpano and Plymouth go particularly well.

When we dined at Barrel & Crow recently, I had them make one of these. Unfortunately I could not remember the recipe. So I found the below recipe online and they slightly tweaked it as indicated. It was pretty good.

1.5 oz gin

1.5 oz sweet vermouth

.25 oxz maraschino liquer

dah of Angostura bitters

They apparently did not use as much vermouth. Tasty

So pretty much you have to try the Darkside.

Sooooooo.....where can I source this Cocchi Barolo Chinato - locally?  I found it online, but it is from a place that will not ship to Maryland. I miiiiight have just found one place, but waiting for a reply to my question.

Recently, we had this cocktail made at home--

3G

1 1â„2 oz Gin

1 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

1â„2 oz     Ginger liqueur

1 rinse     Absinthe

Sooooooo.....where can I source this Cocchi Barolo Chinato - locally?  I found it online, but it is from a place that will not ship to Maryland. I miiiiight have just found one place, but waiting for a reply to my question.

I'm pretty sure I got a bottle at Vienna Vintner on Maple Ave. in Vienna. This may or may not be "local" to you, though.

Recently, we had this cocktail made at home--

3G

1 1â„2 oz Gin

1 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain

1â„2 oz     Ginger liqueur

1 rinse     Absinthe

Williams Corner Wine in Charlottesville sells it in Virginia. Probably Ledroit Brands in DC. Maybe Joe at Ace Beverage can help you out.

Ginspired, I stopped by 2B1S on Saturday night (zoo!, although apparently it was actually slower than normal) and ordered (and received) the Darkside made by one of Adam's co-workers.  He immediately knew what I was talking about it and made it expertly by muscle memory.

• Like 2

Ginspired, I stopped by 2B1S on Saturday night (zoo!, although apparently it was actually slower than normal) and ordered (and received) the Darkside made by one of Adam's co-workers.  He immediately knew what I was talking about it and made it expertly by muscle memory.

Great thanks!

Apparently, Casa Luca has Barolo Chinato available but I totally forgot to ask if they knew how to make it. Proof might be a better place to try this as I can have dinner there, too. :) Thanks again all!

When we dined at Barrel & Crow recently, I had them make one of these. Unfortunately I could not remember the recipe. So I found the below recipe online and they slightly tweaked it as indicated. It was pretty good.

1.5 oz gin

1.5 oz sweet vermouth

.25 oxz maraschino liquer

dah of Angostura bitters

They apparently did not use as much vermouth. Tasty

I make it with 1.5 oz of Old Tom Gin, 1.5 oz of sweet vermouth (usually Carpano), just a tsp of maraschino, and a few dashes of orange bitters.  Real tasty.

Surprised no one has mentioned a Negroni - gin may get a bit overwhelmed by the Campari, but it's an awesome cocktail nonetheless - 1 part each Gin, Sweet Vermouth and Campari, served either up or on the rocks, with (or without) an orange twist.

On 5/1/2015 at 9:03 PM, Pool Boy said:

Give me your favorite gin cocktail recipe. Something interesting and delicious that lets the gin shine through.

TIA!

Is there anything better for this than a Gimlet?

And am I a heathen for preferring mine with simple Bombay gin? Not Bombay Sapphire, but regular old Bombay.

Strong gins such as "Death's Door" belong exactly where they're named, at least for my palate.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

And am I a heathen for preferring mine with simple Bombay gin? Not Bombay Sapphire, but regular old Bombay.

Strong gins such as "Death's Door" belong exactly where they're named, at least for my palate.

Gin is a wonderful and useful alcohol.  At its most basic it is roughly the same thing as vodka but distilled with juniper berries, and often other flavors and spices.  Its the variety of flavorings in the distillation process that creates so many varieties.  Additionally the distillation methods are varied, again creating different flavors.  Distillation is not that different from infusion, in terms of adding distinct flavors to the base alcohol.  Some distillations do include a level of infusion along with the distillation process.

A gimlet does allow the gin to shine through.  I would think it need not be said here but fresh lime juice makes the drink infinitely better.  If you want straight gin, order a martini, extra dry (no vermouth).

I favor gin and tonics.  I enjoy the quinine flavor set against the gin.  Additionally I drink gin with lemon lime soda, ultimately not that different than a gimlet as it includes the fruitiness of lime plus lemon.  I find tonic or lemon lime along with plenty of ice work well with gin in the searing heat.

Gin mixes well.  Hence the incredible variety of gin based cocktails.  Frankly I wish I was capable of drinking more.  Then I could more easily participate in the worthwhile gin and tonic project.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Gimlets are essentially Bennets minus the couple of dashes of bitters.

I really like The Last Word, but you have to like green Chartreuse