No, I don't. Freshly back from Seattle, where we had to wake up pretty early to catch earlier round matches, we're enjoying the 9am starts yesterday & today for the finals. Not so enjoyable (so far) is the match score... Fed down 2-1 in sets.

No, I don't. Freshly back from Seattle, where we had to wake up pretty early to catch earlier round matches, we're enjoying the 9am starts yesterday & today for the finals. Not so enjoyable (so far) is the match score... Fed down 2-1 in sets.

I guess 3-1 means it's over, huh?

I guess 3-1 means it's over, huh?

Djokovich is just too darned good. I think Federer started out playing a comparable match to the one he played against Murray, but the tenacity of Djokovich made him begin to doubt himself, and the rain delay was just long enough to make him think about it some more; the match was over when they came back out onto the court - we just didn't realize it yet.

Sometimes I feel like Djokovich is playing for all of Serbia - he is that hell-bent on being perfect.

Three other notes of substantial merit:

1. Martina Hingis (yes, *that* Martina Hingis) was the only person in the tournament to win two titles, winning both Women's Doubles and Mixed Doubles. This is amazing!

2. Leander Paes joins Martina Navratilova as the only players in the open era to win the Mixed Doubles championship in three different decades (NB they won it together in 2003 (*)).

3. Reilly Opelka has followed Noah Rubin in winning the Boy's Singles championship, giving the USA two different back-to-back champions for the first time ever (**).

(*) You could argue (strongly) that, since Paes also won it in 2010, he had already accomplished this feat.

(**) The Boys' Singles championships began in 1947. Billy Martin won it in consecutive years (1973-1974).

Hingis played for the NY Sportimes for several years and I was a member of that club & had tkts to all their home matches.  She was the crowd favorite and clearly still had game big time.  It's really nice to see her continue to collect trophies.  She is great to watch & one of my favorite players, smiling almost all the time.

Paes is who I watch relentlessly throughout the US Open.  We get Grounds Passes for several days of the tournament & I will not watch the big time singles if he is on the doubles court anywhere.  Try as I might, I just can't believe anyone can have that much finesse, that great a touch and think that well while playing doubles.  My favorite all time, especially when he and Martina N. teamed up.  He and Stepanek were pretty special too, although not as successful post 2013.