The New York Mets (1962-), 2014 Record 79-83, NL East Division 2nd Place (Tie)

Steve R.

Rough 8 day stretch! There was even a game where the fans booed the pitcher AND the manager in the same break in the action! You don't see that too often! Hoping they can put it all together real quick!

Cant help it folks.  I'm a Yankee fan but I gotta get behind the Mets here.  Finally looks like they got a good team.  Until Wright comes back and spoils it of course.

Cant help it folks.  I'm a Yankee fan but I gotta get behind the Mets here.  Finally looks like they got a good team.  Until Wright comes back and spoils it of course.

Steve, it's okay! They can even have their own thread! The Mets are A-OK with me, if it only weren't for the 1969 World Championship team which made about as much sense as Butler or George Mason getting to the NCAA Final Four.

As for the Yankees, one of my greatest memories was going to Cal Ripken's final game at Yankee Stadium, tickets compliments of a friend of mine who has a Hall of Fame vote. I went with Member Number One, and will remember it for the rest of my life: Sep 30, 2001; less than a year later, she was gone (today, Aug 8, is a particularly rough day for me). Boy, I just realized that was a mere 19 days after the 9/11 attacks.

• Like 1

Steve, it's okay! They can even have their own thread! The Mets are A-OK with me, if it only weren't for the 1969 World Championship team which made about as much sense as Butler or George Mason getting to the NCAA Final Four.

With the possible exception of Cleon Jones, a lifetime .281 hitter who batted an unbelievable .340 that year, none of the Mets regulars would have been good enough to start for the Orioles. And while the Mets had Seaver and Koosman pitching well, the Orioles had Cuellar, McNally, Palmer and Phoebus at their best. The Mets probably wouldn't have been in that Series had the Cubs not coughed up a 9-game lead, and the Pythagorean W-L for the season was 93-69 (Cubs) over 92-70 (Mets). The Mets' run differential was 91, and the Cubs' run differential was 109.

With the possible exception of Cleon Jones, a lifetime .281 hitter who batted an unbelievable .340 that year, none of the Mets regulars would have been good enough to start for the Orioles. And while the Mets had Seaver and Koosman pitching well, the Orioles had Cuellar, McNally, Palmer and Phoebus at their best. The Mets probably wouldn't have been in that Series had the Cubs not coughed up a 9-game lead, and the Pythagorean W-L for the season was 93-69 (Cubs) over 92-70 (Mets). The Mets' run differential was 91, and the Cubs' run differential was 109.

I don't remember the 1969 World Series at all (I was only 8), and I know surprisingly little about it, but even though Donn Clendenon was (deservedly) World Series MVP with 3 Home Runs and a 1.071 slugging percentage (!) in a 5-game series (and apparently, he was the clubhouse leader too, avowing after their 4-1 Game 1 loss that they could defeat the Orioles), I think that the Mets might not have won the series without Tom Seaver - this, despite Seaver losing Game 1, and giving up a home run to Don Buford on the 2nd pitch of the entire series (how deflating must that have been?) He had a rough outing, and gave up 4 runs and 6 hits in 5 innings, including 6 total bases to Buford, who wreaked havoc on Seaver that game.

Nevertheless, he came back in crucial Game 4, with the Mets up 2-1 in the series, and pitched a 10-inning, complete-game shutout to win 2-1, and instead of having to worry about going back to Baltimore for Game 6 or 7, Seaver's great performance in Game 4 allowed the Mets to win it in Shea Stadium.

There's no way you can hand an MVP Award to a pitcher who goes 1-1, allows 12 hits in 2 games, and had a respectable-but-not-fantastic 3.00 ERA, but insiders can legitimately debate that Seaver might have won the series based on that one, monster performance. Imagine what could have happened had it been 2-2 going into Game 5. And make no mistake, it was 100% Tom Seaver who was responsible for the win in Game 4. The Orioles' *slugging percentage* that game was .171, the only run they scored was on a Sacrifice Fly by Brooks Robinson, and they didn't have a single extra-base hit in 10 innings.

Any thoughts about this? I think you have to give the award to Clendenon, but I think Seaver, during that one, somewhat forgotten game, was responsible - perhaps more than any other player - for the term, "Miracle Mets."

And as for Jeffrey Dahmer, oh, sorry, I meant Jeffrey Maier, you're still hated, you little *fucker*. Yeah, I know it was the Yankees, but it's the same stinking, rotten city, smelling like acrid, week-old urine, wafting up from the fetid, noxious, grates of the smelly, greasy, graffiti-ridden hell-rumble called the subway. I just thought I'd slip that little jab in - you pecker - while taking this opportunity to remind everyone that *no personal insults are allowed on donrockwell.com*. Of course, Jeffrey Maier is a sub-human primate from Dickville, so none of this applies to him.

I'm kidding, Jeffrey - I would have done the exact same thing. You're a Yankees' legend, and it was the ump's fault; not yours. God love you, and that was one heck of a nice catch. Cheers, Rocks

God that hurt to say.

Still going strong.  A 3 homer night for Cespedes yesterday wasn't bad at all.  Wright's at the gate & just about ready to go"¦ wonder what happens now.

Still going strong.  A 3 homer night for Cespedes yesterday wasn't bad at all.  Wright's at the gate & just about ready to go"¦ wonder what happens now.

Well Steve R....just keep reminding us--> :(

The Mets are playing pretty well, added talent, and are making a run.  Meanwhile, in the same division, those rivals...happen to be located in DC.  Well since the beginning of July.....I think ESPN describes it pretty well here 

About 5 weeks to go.  We shall see what we shall see.   But dang, since the beginning of July, I think the Nats have had the worst record in MLB......and that aint good.

6 hours ago, DaveO said:

Sadly, Tom Seaver has dementia.   Tom Terrific, the Greatest  Met ever, star pitcher of the '69 World Champion Mets, who surprised all of baseball with one of the most amazing upsets of all time, beating the Powerful Orioles in the '69 World Series,   Seaver is usually described as one of the all time great pitchers in baseball.  

Yeah...so I was a Yankees fan growing up...but as the '69 Mets taught us--"Ya gotta believe"

The 69 Mets were inspirational and exciting:  A championship team that arose from the dregs of baseball.  

Just learned that “Ya gotta believe” became the team’s rallying cry via Tug McGraw in ‘73, another year where the Mets made a late season rush for a championship.   

Those were very cool lovable teams.   Seaver was their icon-  the amazing star among the Mets—probably the best pitcher to pitch for a NY City team