Bob's Bakery, Taiwanese Bakery on N. Washington Street in Downtown Rockville - Closed

Driving along North Washington Street in Rockville last night a sign caught my eye: "Bob's Bakery".  It was on a papered-over window in the same building and around the corner from Bob's Shanghai 66.  A cursory internet search turned up a yellow pages listing and no more.

You now know all that I know.

Suddenly I've realized that it's been more than a week since I've been to BS66!  This is a situation that must be rectified promptly.  While there I will ask about the bakery.

• Like 1

Bob's Bakery is to be a Taipei-style cafe, offering breads and small breakfast and lunch items - quick snack-type items, not full meals.  It's the project of one of the partners, and he does not intend to compete with BS66.  They're trying for a September opening.

[ps to Rocks, you might want to change the word "Shanghainese" to "Taiwanese" in the title]

Yes, they do take credit cards.

Quick report on dinner tonight, think they are still trying to figure out what they're all about- bakery, cafe, diner, restaurant?  Pretty quiet Sunday at 6PM.  We were seated at a table, they almost seemed surprised that we wanted to eat there.

Wish the menu had descriptions...or they had images on the walls, signs or something to help us out.

Nightmarket steak and noodles-  Thinly sliced short ribs on top of yellow (very very soft/overcooked) noodles with a few snow peas and a fried egg.  All floating in a extremely peppery black pepper sauce.  Very spicy, but not in the usual red pepper way.  Will I remember this dish a week from now- probably not.

post-1245-0-94423900-1443396016_thumb.jp

Served on a sizzling platter- that wasn't sizzling.

Brisket soup-  Large portion of tender brisket pieces in a rich beef broths with white (rice?) noodles.  Similar flavors to Pho, but stock was much deeper.  Some pickled cabbage on top.

post-1245-0-31941000-1443396019_thumb.jp

Fried rice balls- ?  No idea of what we were getting.  2 softball sized rice balls fried and sitting on top of a very light yellow curry sauce.  Perfectly crispy and fried- no oil.  Break into these balls and---------ham and american cheese.  Huh? What? with curry?  But as odd as it sounds, pretty good.  The crispy rice...the curry...the ham...the cheese???

post-1245-0-65165300-1443396040_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-78632800-1443396048_thumb.jp

Quick report on dinner tonight, think they are still trying to figure out what they're all about- bakery, cafe, diner, restaurant?

Identity crisis resolved.  They're strictly a bakery now.  No more food menu.  Just breads, cakes, and pastries with some drinks.

We enjoyed several of the savory breads -- dried pork, scallion, and curry.  Nothing earth-shattering, just solidly good.  They're also conveniently located a block away from Kung Fu Tea.

• Like 1