Clemson, SC

DonRocks

I agree Popeye's has better chicken, but I love the spice on Bo's and the biscuits are much better, too. Plus, eating there takes me back to my days at Clemson when my roommate and I would run (screaming "Bo-yangles, Bo-yangles") the half mile to buy a dozen biscuits and maybe some chicken to soothe the savage munchies. Good times...good times.

That's because you hadn't discovered the fried mushrooms at Nick's. smile.gif

in high school, we went there every year to celebrate my friend's birthday. i was in love with the 'shrooms--the fried mushrooms stuffed with horseradish and cheese. i went to one in an airport about five years ago and had the shrooms again, and though they werent as amazing as i remembered, i still enjoyed them. but i love the combo of mushrooms and horseradish and also love anything fried, so i may not be an objective judge.   :)

Such great memories you brought up with this "fried mushrooms" post. You just have no idea how good they were at Nick's in Clemson - and I think they were $1.30 (does anybody remember what they were back around 1979-1984?) - for some reason, that figure is coming up in my head. Nick's also served an overstuffed coldcut sub with shredded lettuce and vinegar-and-oil that was reserved for when you were really hungry - if you got a sub and an order of mushrooms, that meant you were blowing off dinner in the dining hall that evening.

A mug of ice-code, watered-down, cheap draft beer, and an order or Nick's fried mushrooms, delivered in a little, rectangular, paper boat - in my eyes, food didn't get any better than that.

Nick's was a bar in "downtown" Clemson that was juuuust far enough off the main strip where it was almost considered "counter-culture" to go there - some students had probably never even heard of it - and that's where a group from my fraternity, as well as my old dorm, often hung out. Nick's was there for the dregs of campus; not for the homecoming queens or the valedictorians. It was awesome.

Has anybody other than me ever been there and had the fried mushrooms? Sandy? (Thank you *so much* for posting that Wiki entry, btw - I hardly knew any of those tidbits about Nick's.)

I have no doubt the mushrooms were bought deep-frozen, pre-battered (with a very dark-brown batter), and just stuck in the deep frier, but they were round and juicy like cherry tomatoes, with just the right amount of salt - they didn't need any dipping sauce - and they tasted like *mushrooms*.  I also have no doubt that any "juiciness" was from the frying grease seeping underneath the batter, but they never tasted oily or rancid - they were just *good* - the best single food item downtown from what I can remember. Yes, better than Chanelo's, which was *the* pizza place on campus (never all that good) until ARA came along and started offering higher-quality pizza in the student cafeteria, evenings-only, back in the early 1980s, for only about five bucks.

During my first year of graduate school, 1983-1984, I was the only graduate student on campus living in the fraternity houses; during my final semester (and I'm proud to say that I was the first M.S. in the relatively new Computer Science to graduate in three semesters), I went off all meal plans, and that is the time in my life when I began eating most meals out, every day - that was over thirty years ago.

• Like 1

I dont remember eating off campus that much, so Nicks wasn't on my list of commonly-visited joints. I feel like I've missed a huge opportunity, but I can't say I recall having the fried mushrooms at Nick's. Yet another thing I should've done in college, but didn't. (Had a girlfriend back home all through college...stupid, stupid)