Ford's Filling Station, Gastropub Now Located in the Marriott Downtown, with a Second Location in LAX's Delta Terminal

Spending Thanksgiving week near San Diego but we're flying in to LAX on Sat 11/22. Will have lunch in LA before driving down to Solano Beach. Saw something about Ford's Filling Station [New arrangement as of 2014on Bizarre Food, which looks right up my alley. Anyone's been? Anything else near LAX that we should try? My wfie's not into sushi.

I ate at Ford's just under a year ago, and I was underwhelmed. And since then, I've eaten several times at the place directly next door--Tender Greens--which has fresh, inexpensive salads/grilled meat/eat outside, very Southern California. The crowds next door at Ford's are very loud and young. Much better food can be had nearby at Beacon [Closed Jan 16, 2011], which is Asian fusion (no sushi). The owner-chef spent 20 years running the kitchen at Chinois, Wolfgang Puck's place in Ocean Park.

Just for a dissenting opinion, we ate at Ford's back in August and thought it was excellent. Very good charcuterie and cheese, lovely salads, interesting entrees, a nicely creative cocktail program, and, for dessert, one of the most evilly genius things I've ever tasted - Toblerone ice cream. It's not fine dining, but it's not trying to be - if I had to describe it in terms of someplace around here, it would be as a more casual version of Sonoma.

Just for a dissenting opinion, we ate at Ford's back in August and thought it was excellent. Very good charcuterie and cheese, lovely salads, interesting entrees, a nicely creative cocktail program, and, for dessert, one of the most evilly genius things I've ever tasted - Toblerone ice cream. It's not fine dining, but it's not trying to be - if I had to describe it in terms of someplace around here, it would be as a more casual version of Sonoma.

I was served lamb that was 75% fat and gristle. They took it back and fixed a steak for me, and the waiter told me: "the chef said that never should have been sent out." Umm...isn't that the chef's responsibility---checking the plates before they go out? So I was left sitting there while the other people at the table ate their just ok food, which they shared with me. And then I was served a very ordinary piece of steak to eat, when the others at the table had already finished. So, maybe it was just an off day, but I wasn't in a hurry to go back.