A-Frame, Chef Johnny Yoo's Hawaiian "Soul Food with an LA Outlook" - Washington Blvd. in Culver City

A-Frame is great, and practically a food-nightclub on weekend nights, with the communal seating, loud music, and seriously hot servers.  Love the crispy beer can chicken and the kitchen fries (which far beat out the potato pancake).  The lamb skewer is good and comes on a plate balanced with some salad but doesn't have much of an Asian twist.

I had a fantastic dinner last night at A-Frame in Culver City. I highly recommend visitors to LA to stop at this much lauded restaurant. We shared the beer can chicken, peel and eat shrimp from the happy hour menu, corn bread, sweet and sour choi and kitchen fries. The chicken was insanely moist with a very crisp skin, served with house made kimchi, 2 sauces and a century egg. The shrimp were covered in kaffir lime salt and we were encouraged to lick our fingers after eating the shrimp to bring the flavor back around. The choi with chinese broccoli and bok choy and sausage may have been my favorite with a sticky but not too sweet glaze. The fries were fantastic with a variety of huge wedges of sweet potatos served with a kimchi sour cream. The cornbread was also great with the butter and salsa verde.

The building is an old IHOP (hence the A-frame) and has communal seating. We got there on the early side while driving through and did not have to share but later I am sure you will.  The music isn't quiet but lends to hip hop of the early 2000s... think jay z and biggie. I love it but grandma may not.

WaikikiHo: gin, angostura, pineapple, passionfruit, lime was AMAZING. I do not like gin but after tasting it I ordered my own, amazing and went with the food really well. (and $7 on the happy hour menu!)