Lezo's Taqueria, Rosa Arroyo and Andrew Gonzalez's (of the Former "Taco Apartment") Oaxacan Taqueria in Mount Pleasant - Closed

"Death of an Urban Legend Gives Birth to a New Taco Haven in DC" by George Gonzalez on dclatina.com

I have not been yet, but I have been to the old "restaurant' where you would ring the doorbell and they would throw the key down and it was some of the best Mexican food I have had in the region.  This could be a very exciting place if the cooking is at the same level.

ETA:  I can't find a menu on-line, but the Yelp reviews reference pig's head tacos, huitlacoche, tacos al pastor, and mole tamales.

• Like 1

Was just there.  All the patrons were raving about everything, as in "she's never cooked anything less than perfect."  I only had two things:  a taco with oreja de cerdo (tender, not crispy--oh well) and a sope with carnitas, which was wonderful.  The chef and others were trying to entice me with posole and birria, but I wasn't that hungry--next time!

Only one minor complaint:  There was so much food in the taco that the single tortilla couldn't possibly hold it--utensils necessary.  Appears to be a deliberate choice not to use "double" tortillas, however.

"Death of an Urban Legend Gives Birth to a New Taco Haven in DC" by George Gonzalez on dclatina.com

I have not been yet, but I have been to the old "restaurant' where you would ring the doorbell and they would throw the key down and it was some of the best Mexican food I have had in the region.  This could be a very exciting place if the cooking is at the same level.

ETA:  I can't find a menu on-line, but the Yelp reviews reference pig's head tacos, huitlacoche, tacos al pastor, and mole tamales.

• Like 1

Man, I've sort of been really underwhelmed by everything I've had there (pancita de res, tacos of lengua, cecina, cabeza de puerco). Not much flavor, dry meat, etc. Which pains me to say, because I would love to have an awesome little Oaxacan taqueria in my neighborhood, but so far it's been quite disappointing. Maybe it will be better the next time I try it; they've also seemed quite overwhelmed by the demand.

The salsa verde is tasty.

Was just there.  All the patrons were raving about everything, as in "she's never cooked anything less than perfect."  I only had two things:  a taco with oreja de cerdo (tender, not crispy--oh well) and a sope with carnitas, which was wonderful.  The chef and others were trying to entice me with posole and birria, but I wasn't that hungry--next time!

Only one minor complaint:  There was so much food in the taco that the single tortilla couldn't possibly hold it--utensils necessary.  Appears to be a deliberate choice not to use "double" tortillas, however.

Man, I've sort of been really underwhelmed by everything I've had there (pancita de res, tacos of lengua, cecina, cabeza de puerco). Not much flavor, dry meat, etc. Which pains me to say, because I would love to have an awesome little Oaxacan taqueria in my neighborhood, but so far it's been quite disappointing. Maybe it will be better the next time I try it; they've also seemed quite overwhelmed by the demand.

The salsa verde is tasty.

Wow, I have to say it's rare to get two back-to-back posts by respected members which are so diametrically opposed.

To be fair, I have not tried the sope de carnitas. :-)

And they were out of pozole the last time I've there, so I haven't had a chance to try that yet. A delicious pozole will paper over a LOT of deficiencies elsewhere, as far as I'm concerned.

(Also, it's certainly possible that they're just having consistency issues as a new restaurant; I haven't written them off by any means.)

Not diametrically.  I had one excellent item -- the carnitas sope.  Very small sample size.  Verdict is very much still out.  But the (literal) word-of-mouth was evidence that she has a very loyal following, for whatever that's worth.

Wow, I have to say it's rare to get two back-to-back posts by respected members which are so diametrically opposed.

I went here for the first time today and enjoyed it very much.  A small, low-key, friendly and informal place.  Menu on Facebook here (for now at least).

I wouldn't decree it to be categorically better than other good taquerias in town, but it was good and I will go back.

Best, and also hardest to find elsewhere in my experience, was the huitlacoche quesadilla ($10) - a big folded tortilla with cheese, huitlacoche, etc. A little greasy, but nothing wrong with that!  Also lamb taco, and chicken mole tamale, were good.  Eat in, and you are presented with one of those three-bowly-things with three very good salsas.

---

Huitlacoche Quesadillas (gadarene)

It's been Taqueria de los Compadres for a few months now. It seems to be some of the same people in back of house, but definitely under new management. The menu's a little more streamlined, but still with lots of great taco options. Food seemed to come a little quicker, a little better managed (no "credit card not working" signs for weeks), and consistently busier. Hopefully, all good signs for a long tenure in a competitive neighborhood.