Momofuku Nishi, Chef Joshua Pinsky's Italian-Inspired Korean on 22nd and 8th in Chelsea

"David Chang Opens His Momofuku Tonight with Italian Food and No Tipping" by Sierra Tishgart on grubstreet.com

(I would read the above article instead of just relying on the title, which is not entirely correct.)

"David Chang Opens Korean-Italian Momofuku Nishi Tonight in Chelsea" by Nell Casey on gothamist.com

"What To Expect from Momofuku Nishi, David Chang's Korean-Italian Fusion Spot" on metro.us

The following excerpt is from Momofuku Nishi's tumblr page (which was linked via their twitter).  They started serving brunch and also stopped including tip in their menu prices.

Beginning Saturday, June 4, Nishi will serve weekend brunch from 12 – 3 pm. On top of select dishes from the dinner menu, new brunch offerings will be served. 
Additionally, Nishi’s brunch and dinner menu prices will not include gratuity starting June 4.
What does this mean for guests?  We will have more flexibility with how we price our menu. You can check out the full brunch menu here, and Nishi’s updated dinner menu will go live before service tomorrow.
What does that mean for staff? We started this experiment to pay our cooks a wage we believe in. Cooks will maintain the same wages moving forward as they did with the no-tipping model. 
This is by no means the end of the no-tipping discussion at Momofuku. But at this moment, we think a tipping model will benefit our guests and staff. Thanks to everyone who has come to the restaurant during our first six months. We look forward to seeing you for brunch or dinner soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cheezepowder said:

The following excerpt is from Momofuku Nishi's tumblr page (which was linked via their twitter).  They started serving brunch and also stopped including tip in their menu prices.

I read the excerpt three times, and I still can't decipher it: What does "more flexibility with how we price our menu" mean? And why would a tipping model give them more flexibility?

For me, this excerpt needs to be rewritten - it makes very little sense as it stands, other than to state the new tipping policy. I absolutely don't want to assume any negative intent on the part of Momofuku Nishi, but this reads like doublespeak, like it was hastily tossed off, and I don't think they mean it to. 

Does anyone else have problems understanding this?

Ughhhhh another Momofuku restaurant.......

I remember seeing on Instagram Magnus Nilsson (Faviken lead chef) was brought there and I was a bit annoyed. Sooooooo many great places in NY and thats where they brought him....  Lets hit up a Gordon Ramsay restaurant in London as well to top it off!!! People will def disagree with me on this but I not only don't get the hype around that glorified chain but I also don't like David Chang. This is not to say that it's a problem owning more then one resto I just think his group of restos are like worshipped to the point of ridiculousness and that they aren't all that great but play to many of the food trends that are like big right now among other problems.....