J.J. Abrams (1966-), Director of Blockbusters Such as "Star Trek" (2009) and "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" (2015)

DonRocks

As a big Star Wars fan, it was thrilling to see those words scroll on the screen for the first time in... well, a long time. I liked the movie, but didn't love it. 

Thing is, I *loved* J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" film, and thought it really set the stage for a new generation of Star Trek fans - honoring the original characters, while replacing them with fresh blood. I didn't realize he was the person who directed "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" until later on, and I think he didn't accomplish the same thing with Star Wars as he did with Star Trek (although I haven't seen "Star Trek: Into Darkness," which I'm told is more of a "for-the-masses" movie).

Knowing it was Abrams who directed "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" makes me doubly disappointed. Other than Harrison Ford, the use of the original characters was very much of a token appendage.

I'm very much of a "Star Wars" fan, too, and that's why I'm so disappointed. That said, I guess I haven't seen one in ... gosh, I don't even know how long it has been, even though this is the seventh installment. I read where there are already plans for an eighth and ninth in the next couple of years, and I suppose this is a classic example of artistry selling out for money. I cherish the 1977 "Star Wars" every bit as much as I do "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Al Dente, you might be interested in knowing that Abrams guest-starred in the "Ratings Guy" episode of "Family Guy."

I'm a sucker, so I'll probably rethink and reconsider my initial impression of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," but my first impressions of the arts in general - wine, movies, music - often turn out to be my ultimate landing pad.

Abrams has a long and impressive resume, but he seems to be most talented in one particular area: making blockbusters, and although that's the measuring stick for success by most standards, it means absolutely nothing to me.

Some might think of my "graduated from the masses" lament in my "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" post as some sort of humble brag, but it isn't in the least: It *sucks* not being able to enjoy what others do, and it's very much like me saying, "I wish I could be devoutly religious." Who on earth *wouldn't* want to take comfort in knowing that there's a benevolent God ready-and-waiting to take care of you after this life is over?

I read where there are already plans for an eighth and ninth in the next couple of years, and I suppose this is a classic example of artistry selling out for money. I cherish the 1977 "Star Wars" every bit as much as I do "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Al Dente, you might be interested in knowing that Abrams guest-starred in the "Ratings Guy" episode of "Family Guy."

Number 8 is already being filmed:

"Star Wars Episode 8: Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro Join the Cast" by Rebecca Hawkes on telegraph.co.uk

I didn't know that about his appearance in Family Guy. I think I've mentioned it before, but if you haven't watched them check out the Star Wars parody episodes. The first one is called "Blue Harvest".