Which Athlete Would You Most Like To Meet?

lovehockey

Even though I technically met him once before, at a Crown Gasoline Station in Laurel, I was too shy to say anything, and mumbled something when he autographed his poster - this was about thirty years ago. It won't happen, but given that our Baltimore Forum is dedicated to the man, Brooks Robinson, just so I could say "thank you."

I'd like to meet Earl Monroe ( aka Earl the Pearl and the Black Jesus)  I know Steve R has.   There is a nice story behind it.   I was in college in Baltimore during part of the time Earl (the Pearl) Monroe played for the Baltimore Bullets and later when he was traded to the Knicks.  In those days tickets were inexpensive, games weren't crowded, and the teams played one another more often than they do now.  I got to see the Bullets vs the Knicks quite a few times.   It was the greatest rivalry of its time.  The two teams matched up magnificently with mano a mano battles across the court:  Reed vs Unseld, Debuscherre vs Gus Johnson, etc etc.  But the best match up was Earl Monroe vs Walt Frazier.  Mr offense vs Mr. Defense.  Sometimes Earl would win, sometimes Clyde would win.  Game after game, play after play.  One of the terrific match ups of all time...played often.

While in college my best friends and I had an intramural basketball team for 3 years; named the Pearls.  We hung out together, we ran pick up basketball at the gym, we were known by friends as the Pearls.  We had the Pearls...and the Pearls Girls.

Decades passed.  Many of us remained friendly.  We'd meet individually and as groups.  Marriages, kids..the whole shebang.   In 1999 one of the Pearls passed away.  He lived in this area and we were still great friends.  He had a tragic congenital problem that reared up...and after several weeks in the hospital in intensive care he passed away.  I visited every other day and was a phone conduit for the family for extended family and friends from afar.

After he died four old college friends came to DC for the funeral.  Two were Pearls.  One was a former Pearl's Girl.  She and he had been tremendous friends over the decades.   Her old boyfriend couldn't make it.  He was overseas.   At the funeral one of the old Pearls invited her to his daughter's upcoming bat mitzvah in Westchester County NY.  She lived in NYC.

Later I spoke with her old boyfriend who had returned to the States out West.  I suggested he call the Bat Mitzvah dad and see about getting invited.  After all if a "Pearls Girl" was being invited...certainly one core Pearl would invite another core Pearl to the event.  And it occurred.  So the two old boyfriend and girlfriend got together and their relationship was rekindled.  A year later they got married.

The wedding was in Hawaii.  Some Pearls made it, some didn't.  We held an important meaningful get together in NYC at a Chinese restaurant and afterwards.

I contacted the Bullets/Wizards organization. I've known someone who had worked for them for decades.  I relayed the "story".  He got Wes Unseld on the phone with me and I relayed the story again.  Wes gave me Earl's home phone number.  I tried to get Earl to meet us at the restaurant and wanted a signed basketball for the couple.  It would have been great.  Meaningful.   Seriously...meaningful.  Of course we were prepared to pay him as I understand that goes with the effort.

I left messages at his house.  I got his then "significant other" on the phone and relayed the story.  She seemed sympathetic.  Earl never got back to me.  From reading the news I believe it was a tough time in his life, physically, possibly financially etc.  I suppose he had "retired" from the public during those days.  So be it.  He needed private recovery time.

We never met Earl.  I'd so like to meet him...and get a signed basketball.  It deserves to go to the home of the reunited Pearl's Girl and Pearl.  It would be very cool.  They'd love it.  They are both a bit in touch with old old friends from those college days.  They already have a letter signed by Jackie Onassis Kennedy.  They NEED two documents from two famous people...one, the "closest thing to American aristocracy"  (its another story)...and the other...the master of "street ball".   Both given with some meaning...not as a result of some anonymous book signing.   Ah well.   tant pis.

• Like 2