Hillstone Restaurant Group

I am sorry if this was already posted, but it is a very interesting read.  I never knew of some of the details which are behind the scene here such as drilling the tables and bolting them to the floor to eliminate wobble.

Welcome to Hillstone, America's Favorite Restaurant, by Andrew Knowlton in Bon Appetite.

I enjoyed that article, although the recipes they chose were a bit odd, I guess the only ones the restaurant would let out.

Interesting article.  I enjoy pieces of that nature; restaurants or businesses that meet the demand of the public...and in this case it meets the food demand of a variety of chefs.  Doing it well and consistently over many locations in many parts of the nation.  Bravo to them.  Hard to search on this site these days but I believe I recall Joe H compared Clydes and GAR on a local basis to Hillstone on a national basis.  If it was Joe H or someone else I agree with the statement.

I knew a few of the local people involved with Houston's Hillstone when they first opened in this area in the early 80's.  The Georgetown and Rockville locations did well from the onset and continued to do so over their lives in the region.  One thing was they had great management standards, even back then.

Oh yeah.  The food was always good.  The bars were active lively busy and extremely popular.

On 4/4/2016 at 10:34 AM, RWBooneJr said:

Hillstone's food is terrible for you, they know it, and they don't want you to.  That's why they're not all named Houston's anymore.

This tactic is so diabolical and petty that I almost respect it. I'm sure they're concerned about their numerous salads, which could be labeled healthy to the unobservant.

They aren't, though, and that's why they taste so good. I had a Thai Steak & Noodle salad ($20) in North Dallas last week that was everything I wanted in a little splurge of a business lunch. Above-average ingredients (filet, mango, avocado, arugula) that were well-cooked and well-dressed. Also, the service at the bar was everything Knowlton described. My iced tea never was more than half empty when it was replaced with a fresh glass and lemon automatically. When I clumsily dropped my lap napkin, the bartender had a new one ready to trade out as soon as I rose from picking it up.