Tomatoes in April

porcupine

At least one vendor at the Dupont farmers' market is selling tomatoes already, presumably tunnel-grown or greenhouse grown or something.  Although I appreciate that advances are made through experimentation, I wish they would stop.  I picked up two Brandywines, not so much because I'm a sucker but because I had recently bought a bag of emmer bulgur and was craving tabbouleh.

Engh.  Seriously, why bother?  These did have a flavor somewhat reminiscent of a summer tomato, but with the mealy texture of grocery store rocks grown in Florida that we all know and loathe.  Not too bad in this application (the texture wasn't too obvious what with all the grain and parsley).  But I wish growers would devote their resources to growing that which actually grows this time of year.

Anticipation or immediate gratification?  I'll take the former, thanks.

Possibly the same vendor had tomatoes at the Crystal City Farmers market yesterday too. I was shocked to see them and more shocked to see the varieties - - Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Japanese Black Triffle.  These were actual heirlooms, not the generic round, red ones I see year round at the Old Town Farmers market.  They told me they grew them themselves in a greenhouse (as opposed to having them shipped in from Florida).  Anyhow I tasted a couple varieties and they were fairly tasteless, but I'm not sure if it was due to quality of the tomato or the fact that they were very, very cold.

In Florida where I am now, my tiny little local Asian market is offering Canadian hothouse tomatoes in the clear tray, 1.5 lb. for $2.99.  They are mostly cherry or grape tomato size, a few bigger, and multi-colored (some purple and orange). They are the sweetest and most delicious tomatoes I can ever remember, and that goes back to my dad's fresh garden tomatoes when I was a kid back in the 50's. I have no intention to deny myself.