Los Toltectos - Tex-Mex Chain in Several Area Locations

Sthitch said:
When I drove by yesterday I noticed that Dancing Peppers has closed, I could not make out the sign that said what is replacing it, but they were hard at work inside making changes.

I seem to recall that somewhere (maybe here?) I read that Ernie's Crab House is taking over that space.

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

It appears the Los Toltecos in Sterling may be moving to to the former Vapiano spot at the Dulles Town Center 

I don't mean to be a Boo-Hog, but has anyone here actually tried Los Toltecos? I've been to two different ones (most recently the one on Route 123, South of Braddock Road heading towards Fairfax Station), and both were bad - really bad, Austin Grill bad - although it has been over two years. You could tell this the moment you tried the first bite of chips and salsa.

Understood and agreed.  Sadly Los Toltecos in Sterling was decent, not awesome, but decent until about 2 years ago, something changed.  I do not know if it was their recipes or chef(s) but originally when we tried it - you could get a reasonable meal, and top-shelf Margarita with fresh guac - there was usually a wait during the week, not that it means anything, but the place was busy.  They had a Mariachi band that roamed the restaurant and played good music.  

We noticed the change was sudden and without notice.  It was as if someone had made a decision to change suppliers or recipes and the food went downhill fast.  We have not been back, but when I noticed the signage saying they were moving into the old Vapiano (pretty large space) at Dulles Town Center, I figured they must be doing well if they were expanding to that level.  I do not know what commercial spaces are renting for at DTC, but with the recent failure of Tilted Kilt and Vapiano (directly across from each other) and the closure of the Nordstroms at the same shopping plaza - seems like a riskier undertaking for an average (being kind) Mexican restaurant.

We're fans of the Toltecos in Alexandria.  We bring the kids.  Food is inexpensive, flavorful and fresh.  Big, cold Pacifico drafts.  I particularly like the cochinita pibil.  They have a house hot sauce that is great, too.  The whole place is much better than Los Tios in Del Ray, where most of our friends go.