Town Hall, Glover Park, In The Old Saveur Space

Has anyone been to Town Hall yet? I want to try it but I am curious if anyone had a review of it yet.

Also, is anyone else as excited about the opening of Acadiana as I am? After living in New Orleans for a few years..I have been craving some good New Orleans food!

I work verrrrrrry close to Town Hall, but I have not been yet. I looked at the menu outside this morning and it emphasized American fare. I saw a tomato soup with mini grilled cheese, a BLT, a turkey pot pie on the menu.

Would love to hear a review or I will just check it out myself...

I walked by the other day and chatted with one of the folks there. They are doing preview meals this week with the grand opening this weekend. They are still having interesting discussions about the terms of their liquor license and operating hours.

Has anyone been to Town Hall yet? I want to try it but I am curious if anyone had a review of it yet.

Also, is anyone else as excited about the opening of Acadiana as I am? After living in New Orleans for a few years..I have been craving some good New Orleans food!

DCist had something about Town Hall yesterday. And, yes, I'm extremely excited about Acadiana. Oysters, hurricanes, barbecue shrimp...mmm.

No, I just hadn't seen it yet.

"Comfort food" is the new "Fusion"

It is starting to go beyond the trite dish (like grilled cheese) to an entire trite cuisine.

Particularly when accompanied by tomato soup. See Bar Pilar. Isn't there another Town Hall thread?

My husband grew up and went to college in NOLA. He is very encouraged to hear that they will have the right bread for their po'boys. He says none of the places around here ever get it right.

I work verrrrrrry close to Town Hall, but I have not been yet. I looked at the menu outside this morning and it emphasized American fare. I saw a tomato soup with mini grilled cheese, a BLT, a turkey pot pie on the menu.

Would love to hear a review or I will just check it out myself...

Boy do I have a lot to say about the "meal" I had at Town Hall tonight.

But I guess I'll wait a month or so, except for the things that probably won't change a month from now:

A general comment about the atmosphere: it's a bar, a big, loud college(-ish) bar upstairs and downstairs, that also has a full and relatively complex menu. This means young, enthusiastic, friendly, well-meaning staff. There's a smaller and quieter dining area towards the back.

As for the winelist: write it off, it's beyond repair.

Beers: six (or so) impossibly bad drafts, amongst them Budweiser, Sam Adams (the Starbucks of beers), and the once-glorious-but-now-lame Pilsner Urquell, and about six bottled selections, featuring Corona, Miller Lite, and the "best" of the bunch, the again-once-glorious-but-now-lame Anchor Steam. I'm not sure I've been to a bar in recent memory where I couldn't find anything I wanted to drink.

I also had the tomato sauce and grilled cheeze sandwich.

Rocks.

I'll preface my entire review of Town Hall by acknowledging the fact that I am friends thru friends with some of the staff. I was at the opening and have been there a handful of times and have eaten there on 4 or 5 occasions. Oh and my last qualifier, had I not liked the food I would have kept quiet.

"The bread basket" - Pita (I think)Chips and some Pesto style dip: the chips are light (but enough oil for flavor) and the pesto sauce is herb-ey (I like more flavor than less) and made with an olive oil, that almost made me believe there were olives in the dip (but bf said prob not.)

Fried Brie with "Knotts Berry Farm" Boysenberry Jam - Creamy, very lightly (which I apprc.) breaded/fried brie, served warm with a lot of jam on the side. (only diff on eating second time seemed a little more of the breading) I don't know more specifics on the brie, but it was rich, and almost seemed fruity. (maybe b/c of the jam).

Tuna Tartar with Fresh Guacamole and Fried WonTon Chips - This I've just tasted, the tuna is served in tiny bites atop a mound of guacamole and surrounded with the chips. The tuna had good flavor alone - no need to aggressively season (and I'm glad it wasn't); I'm told the guac was a highlight (don't like guac.)

Arugula Salad: Prosciutto San Daniele, Goat Cheese, and Lemon Vinaigrette - I think this is my personal favorite dish in house. Nice large pieces of prosciutto (In most places it's served more thinly sliced, but that did nothing to take away the flavor - the thickness made for a juicer bite I think). Don't know what kind of goat - but if you're a fan this won't disappoint. The "icing" was the dressing - mildly zesty, slightly sweet, and obviously citrus-ey: holds up/compliments all components.

Crab Cakes on Roasted Corn Cream with Fresh Spinach and Egg Cappellini
Was delish (horrible word I know), lots of crab, light on the cream, and can never go wrong with the super skinny pasta.

side note: I really think TH has a way with chips, the pita, wonton, and potato chips with the sandwiches are crispy, oily enough, not too greasy and the pot chips also have some seasoning that makes you eat way too many of them (I'm glad not to have to deal with some over/under salted/cooked fries with the 'wiches)

My one downside was a dessert I had opening night, but again it was brand new, and because I had had a few too many glasses of wine, I can't remember the details.

Menu Has CHANGED. So the last time I was in I had:

Red Snapper, with I believe a crayfish sauce, awesome, I can't remember the side though. I can't name another BAR with better food. The spinach salad was more than I expected great cheese - Cheese Plate too.

This is getting long so I need to add, I have been surprised by the other critiques of the wine/beer. 2 very good champagne and sparkling wines by the glass. Chandon Nectar, and another sparkling, I can't remember the name. To go with the snapper the Baron Lafite Bordeaux, which was almost too plain, but better when paired with the fish.

I recommend the food on its own merits; and for those like me who enjoy a sometimes loud and crowded bar, you can't go wrong.

I had a burger from there last Saturday (well actually half a burger), and found that it was damn good. The meat was juicy, the bread tasty, and the home made chips were fantastic. The chips were tossed in a great seasoning salt that worked well with the sweetness of the potatoes.

Michael, you are right.  Smith Point is the Bush's joint.

Haven't they shown up at your place yet?  They are from Texas, I assume they like their cow.

Actually, they're both right. They've hung out at both Smith Point and Town Hall, more often at the former.

Read about it here (Scroll down.)

Edited by Capital Icebox

Michael, you are right.  Smith Point is the Bush's joint.

Haven't they shown up at your place yet?  They are from Texas, I assume they like their cow.

Jeez! I Try to talk about food :o and wind up trying to end this silly conundrum (rhymes with..) to get back on track the washington post had this to say... http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ofile&id=800470

eatin' anything lately? :)

I saw the Bushies eating at sake in Adams Morgan one night.  If by eating you mean, smoking marlboro reds and drinking bright colored cocktails served in martini glasses.

But back to the Town Hall- are there many vegatarian options on the menu there?

Google is great. Click.

Went to Town Hall tonight for dinner and some drinks. I was immediately seating without reservations at a bar table right by the front window. It was a nice location...until a boisterous table arrived later.....Anyways, the service was great right off the bat, and while I didn't get to "explore" the space, the decor seemed very unnoticable...which, to me, is a good thing. Although I did enjoy the flat screen tvs above the bar to watch the games, my constant stares at the screen might have left my date wanting me to be a more active roll in our conversation. enough with this, onto the food....

I couldn't decide between the Turkey Club with bacon and avocado or the Burger...Solution: Cheeseburger with bacon and avocado. Delicious. Very moist and flavorful. The bacon was neither too crispy nor too soggy/flimsy, and the avocado was a perfect complement to it.

I was very impressed with both the service and decor as well, and since I haven't ordered a burger from a restaurant in near memory...it has been the best I've had in a while, and would definately recommend it. Aside from some overly noisy/overserved college girls at the table next to us, it was a great meal that didn't hurt the budget at all.

On another note, my girlfriend shocked me by ordering a salad with chicken (she has been the seafood "vegetarian" type since for over 12 years). I promised not to tell, but it was quite the victory in my book for me

I had brunch at Town Hall a few Sundays ago, and it was very pleasant. The menu had a wide range, but I settled on eggs benedict, because I adore it and will probably never ever make it at home. (I can hardly scramble eggs, let alone poach them.) The eggs were perfect, the home fries were a bit heavy/greasy (not much potato flavor coming through), and the coffee was particularly good. (Why didn't I ask what brand?)

It's a nice place, worth a try, though I probably will explore a few other places before returning.

A coworker-friend of mine and I often go to Bourbon for dinner. He orders the grilled chicken breast entree (bo-ring) and I get the grilled cheese and tomato soup (trite). We're so predictable that we usually share the bread pudding for dessert. Ho hum. When he suggested Bourbon last week, I demurred and he countered with Town Hall. My expectations were low, but I went in thinking "at least it's something different."

And it was surprisingly enjoyable. It was a quiet night - Monday? Tuesday? I can't recall - and we opted to sit at the bar. Our bartender/server was all that you'd hope for: friendly without being meddlesome, there when you wanted something, knowledgeable about the menu which apparently hasn't changed too much since the last post two years ago. My friend devoured his Boston bibb lettuce salad, and risotto with shrimp. My turkey club with avocado was pretty much perfect. Just the right amount of mayo, quality bacon and turkey that was obviously fresh.

For habit's sake, we shared a dessert of bread pudding - this time butterscotch and way better than Bourbon's. Hopefully this means we can have a deeper roster of go-to spots now. ;)

I also had the tomato sauce and grilled cheeze sandwich.
I was here a couple of months ago and had the Tillamook Cheddar & Fontina grilled cheese with roasted tomato soup (click), and it was good!

While our intrepid traveler Dave was at Town House last night, I was at Town Hall, where I've now had the above-mentioned sandwich three times - it's been different each time, with only the previous version being worthwhile - this time around the soup-slash-dipping-sauce was oily, acidic, and dull. Along with the grilled cheese, a daily special of Chicken & Corn Chowder ($6) was somewhat gravy-like, with a congealed film on top when it was brought out to the table.

Upthread, the fried pita chips are noted along with the grainy tapenade (which I believe is made with artichoke, olive, and garbanzo beans), and for a free appetizer, it really is a generous offering. I want to also note here that the service at Town Hall has always been friendly.

A Pork Sandwich ($10.50) with slow-roasted pork, swiss, peppadews, rocket greens, and sriracha mayo on a ciabatta sounds irresistible, and reminded me of something you'd get at the Dean & DeLuca cafe in Georgetown (not a bad thing). A side of house-made chips was borderline inedible because they were liberally doused with harsh, peppery spices. The daily special sandwich of an Open-Face Rib Eye ($15) on sourdough with Boursin, sauteed mushrooms, and crispy fried onions also sounded terrific, but was really pretty drab, with the mushroom burned, and the side of french fries mid-range at best. The crispy fried onions, however, were Matchboxian, in a good way.

I was expecting better things from Town Hall this time around, but for now I'm reluctantly downgrading it a few notches in the Dining Guide. I'm hoping people here will chime in with better reports on the food than what I experienced last night, because I have it in my mind that Paul Madrid is a better chef than this.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The group from Town Hall is planning to open a new restaurant/bar called Sixth Engine in the Mount Vernon Triangle (on the same block as Buddha Bar).

http://www.mvtriangleblog.com/?p=1843

I gave DonRockwell.com a visit today to see what people have had to say about Town Hall as I have never been to the Glover Park establishment. Seems this thread hasn't seen much activity the last few years. So I thought I'd give it a bump to see if anyone wants to chime in with more recent impressions.

I've only been there for brunch in recent years, including a few weeks ago. It's fine, nothing spectacular or memorable, but the basics are done well, and the service is pleasant. I haven't been there for dinner in years (since Jenna Bush used to hang out there :) yes I did see her there once) so I can't comment on the dinner menu.

I think of it as a decent neighborhood option, but I wouldn't travel across town for it.

Upthread, the fried pita chips are noted along with the grainy tapenade (which I believe is made with artichoke, olive, and garbanzo beans), and for a free appetizer, it really is a generous offering. I want to also note here that the service at Town Hall has always been friendly.

The fried pita chips still come out as a free app and the service is still good. I've been in a few times (and will probably visit more frequently when my office moves 2 blocks away at the end of the summer) recently and have had 2 solid salmon dishes (perfectly cooked flesh with great crispy skin). Beers on tap are a bit generic although they have a rotating seasonal that skews towards the hoppy (or has in the past).

I'd put Town Hall in the solid neighborhood spot category and in all honesty, I don't think the folks who run the place would say they were trying for anything but.

While our intrepid traveler Dave was at Town House last night, I was at Town Hall, where I've now had the above-mentioned sandwich three times - it's been different each time, with only the previous version being worthwhile - this time around the soup-slash-dipping-sauce was oily, acidic, and dull. Along with the grilled cheese, a daily special of Chicken & Corn Chowder ($6) was somewhat gravy-like, with a congealed film on top when it was brought out to the table.

A Pork Sandwich ($10.50) with slow-roasted pork, swiss, peppadews, rocket greens, and sriracha mayo on a ciabatta sounds irresistible, and reminded me of something you'd get at the Dean & DeLuca cafe in Georgetown (not a bad thing). A side of house-made chips was borderline inedible because they were liberally doused with harsh, peppery spices. The daily special sandwich of an Open-Face Rib Eye ($15) on sourdough with Boursin, sauteed mushrooms, and crispy fried onions also sounded terrific, but was really pretty drab, with the mushroom burned, and the side of french fries mid-range at best. The crispy fried onions, however, were Matchboxian, in a good way.

I was expecting better things from Town Hall this time around, but for now I'm reluctantly downgrading it a few notches in the Dining Guide. I'm hoping people here will chime in with better reports on the food than what I experienced last night, because I have it in my mind that Paul Madrid is a better chef than this.

Cheers,

Rocks.

After taking over the Blue Ridge space, the crew from Town Hall has opened Sixth Engine at 4th and Massachusetts (Mount Vernon Square), in conjunction with some of the staff from The Dubliner (is this the place that used to serve draft beer by the "yard?").

After taking over the Blue Ridge space, the crew from Town Hall has opened Sixth Engine at 4th and Massachusetts (Mount Vernon Square), in conjunction with some of the staff from The Dubliner (is this the place that used to serve draft beer by the "yard?").

Tiber Creek for the yards of beer, which used to be housed right behind the Dubliner, in what is now Bistro Bis.