La Tavola, Little Italy

I've eaten several times recently at La Tavola in Little Italy. The chef is from Venice, and does a beautiful job on Venetian classics, e.g. risotto, fritto misto, fish grilled or in cartocchio. This is not the typical Little Italy red-sauce joint, although there are a few such items on the menu to meet tourist demand. Highly recommended.

On 2/1/2009 at 11:55 AM, Croque monsieur said:

I've eaten several times recently at La Tavola in Little Italy. The chef is from Venice, and does a beautiful job on Venetian classics, e.g. risotto, fritto misto, fish grilled or in cartocchio. This is not the typical Little Italy red-sauce joint, although there are a few such items on the menu to meet tourist demand. Highly recommended.

This still holds true - La Tavola is by no means perfect, but they claim everything (everything!) is made from scratch - even the bread, though I'm not sure I'd admit to this.

Bread.jpg

Most importantly, all wines (all wines!) are 50% off on Wednesday evenings - that is a significant savings, so try to plan for this. A lovely 2012 Bellezza Chianti Gran Selezione was marked down from $68 to $34.

Chianti.jpg

As Croque monsieur noted above, the Fritto Misto ($14) here is fabulous - as good as any I've had recently - I urge diners to get this to split: It was so good that the homemade pomodoro sauce was needless.

Fritto.jpg

The one entrée that was an unmitigated disaster was the Veal Saltimbocca alla Romana ($25.50) - the picture speaks volumes here - however, a substitution of Cappelini ($4 upcharge) for vegetables was both expensive, and worth it.

Saltimbocca.jpgCapellini.jpg

And the star of the entrées was the Spaghetti Nero al Granchio ($25.50), which the NY Daily News named "best pasta dish in Maryland" (for whatever that's worth). Along with the Fritto Misto - I do recommend that diners order this. My dining companion preferred this dish to the squid ink pasta she recently had at Centrolina.

InkPasta.jpg

If there's a better choice in Little Italy, I'm not sure what it is (I'm hardly an expert these days when it comes to Little Italy). However, exercise caution, and do stick with the pastas, the fritto misto, and the Venice-based dishes to avoid land mines.