Glen Manor Vineyards, Jeff White's World-Class Sauvignon Blanc and Elegant Reds in Front Royal, VA

Jeff White

Hello all. I guess I'm the newest member. My name is Jeff and I'm one of the owners and the Vigneron for Glen Manor Vineyards, a Virginia farm winery. I found this site after a friend forwarded to me a copy of the City Paper where Don recommended my Sauvignon Blanc...Thanks Don! I'll lurk for a little while but you will hear from me now and again.

---

Edit - Readers, here are a whole bunch of links to Glen Manor threads, the most important being the first one where Jeff blogs for an entire year (Jan 1, 2010 - Dec 31, 2010) about the 2010 Virginia vintager. It should have won the James Beard Award for best writing on the internet, but somehow it didn't. Amazingly, there are no specific threads on Jeff's Sauvignon Blanc which is my favorite Glen Manor wine of them all. Happy reading! Don Rockwell

The Virginia 2010 Vintage <--- This is the single best thread ever written on donrockwell.com

2007 Hodder Hill

2009 Hodder Hill

2010 Hodder Hill

2014 Virginia Governor's Cup Winners

Glen Manor Tasting at Whole Foods (2010)

Glen Manor Spring Barrel Tasting (2011)

Glen Manor Winemaker Dinner (2011)

Glen Manor Winemaker Dinner (2014)

Glen Manor Vineyards (This Thread)

Hello all. I guess I'm the newest member. My name is Jeff and I'm one of the owners and the Vigneron for Glen Manor Vineyards, a Virginia farm winery. I found this site after a friend forwarded to me a copy of the City Paper where Don recommended my Sauvignon Blanc...Thanks Don! I'll lurk for a little while but you will hear from me now and again.

I didn't even realize this had come out (and I check the Y&H blog regularly). Welcome, Jeff - any idea where we can find your 2007 SB without driving to Front Royal?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hey Jeff, It's Alison Christ. I'm gald you posted here because I'm a big fan of your wine and people should know about and drink it!

Hey everyone and thanks for the kind words. On my website at http://www.glenmanorvineyards.com I list where one can find my wines but the 2007 SB is currently at The Vienna Vintner, Norms Beer and Wine, both in Vienna, Maison du Vin in Great Falls, and Ceciles Wine Cellar in McLean. The 2008 SB can be found at Arrowine in Arlington and the Leesburg Vintner. There are also a few restaurants listed on my site that carry these wines.

Don/Dave, Please do come out sometime. It's quiet here this time of the year and I'd welcome the time to show you our farm. Ask Alison, she's been out.

Alison, How's the new gig? I enjoyed having you and the crew here!

After many years of sampling the vineyards around C'ville during our frequent treks up and down 29, we finally had a chance to stop by Glen Manor. (To make the old timers feel, well, old, we dropped Peanut off at her first sleep-over camp out by Woodstock).

Granted Nutty Buddy and I haven't been to every vineyard in VA, but we've probably been to 30 or 35. For my money there is no one making better wine from top to bottom than Glen Manor. I usually cringe at the prices charged in VA vineyards because they represent absolutely awful price for quality values. That said, we always buy a couple of bottles because we want to support the folks who are putting everything into their business. At Glen Manor, I had no hesitation in paying $20 - $25 for a mixed case of Sauv Blanc, Rose, and Cab Franc (OK, I hesitated for a moment on the rose). The 2011 Cab Franc is quite simply one of the best VA wines that I've ever put in my mouth (I was driving so I was spitting).

It's also one of the best tasting experiences in VA with knowledgeable pourers (including Jeff's lovely wife). I gush because I think that it is that much better than most VA wine. Will most definitely be buying more of their juice.

Looking forward to heading back out for the promised fall re-release of the 2010 Hodder Hill.

• Like 1

I'm glad JPW bumped this thread, because I had absolutely no recollection (when I tasted Glen Manor's offerings last fall) that early on, Rocks had tapped Jeff's Sauvignon Blanc as a go-to white wine.

In the humble opinion of this hopelessly frugal wine drinker, if there's a Virginia local wine that you should be drinking by the case right now, it's Glen Manor's SB. Because that's exactly what I've been doing. It's "no excuses" good, and reasonably priced...two qualities which are disappointingly rare in this region.

The 2012 SB release was this weekend. Gubeen and I would have gone yesterday but we're knee deep in a construction project and couldn't get away, so next weekend it shall be.

Stopped by Glen Manor on Saturday with my parents (who had never tasted wine from Virginia). Kelly was tremendous in telling the story of both Glen Manor (the property) and its wines. My parents both could've stop raving about how much they enjoyed her bubbly personality and clear passion for what her and Jeff are doing. She spent a good hour with us walking through their tasting line-up.

I personally really enjoy their rose. As someone who 75% of the time drinks red, their rose and petit manseng are great any day drinkers that really fit perfectly on a hot day. For those looking to pick up some of the rose - they mentioned they had less than 20 cases left.

They also had just rolled out their 2012 Sauv Blanc which was really great. Kelly said she basically had to beat Jeff up to release it and that he felt another 5-6 months in the bottle will make it even better.

Just a tremendous setting and lovely people. I am really looking forward to some of their wine dinners at the Ashby Inn later this year (as well as the one at Al Dente in the fall).

We we were able to taste the 2010 Hodder Hill today which will be released on November 13th. While RDV is garnering a lot of national attention for their '09 Lost Mountain and Barboursville Octagon's '10 won this year's Governor's Cup I believe the '10 Hodder Hill is better than the '09 which won last year's Governor's Cup. Along with Linden '10 Hardscrabble and '10 Avenius and Delaplane's '10 Williams Gap all of these are worth every penny of their $50 price (although the RDV is $95). I'd like to taste the '10 Hodder Hill is a brown bag tasting similar to what RDV does.

Jeff White has made a remarkable wine that is "worth the journey."

http://glenmanorvineyards.com/the-wines/2010-hodder-hill/

While not Joe H, I would encourage you to go out and buy it.

Based on this post I cracked the first from the case I purchased over a year ago (Jeff's instructions were to lay it down for 2 years, so making it this long without opening one is a victory for me) to see how it was tasting.  Super smooth with predominant fig / cherry / licorice flavors - coats the glass nicely.  A very nice wine for such a gross day outside with snow and sleet.

Tasting this, it makes me that much more excited for the Petit Verdot vertical my wife and I are doing at the vineyard in April.

Based on this post I cracked the first from the case I purchased over a year ago (Jeff's instructions were to lay it down for 2 years, so making it this long without opening one is a victory for me) to see how it was tasting.  Super smooth with predominant fig / cherry / licorice flavors - coats the glass nicely.  A very nice wine for such a gross day outside with snow and sleet.

Tasting this, it makes me that much more excited for the Petit Verdot vertical my wife and I are doing at the vineyard in April.

You're *very* smart laying that wine down. Most people only lay down expensive wines that they'll never drink anyway. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have bought Chinon, Bourgeuil, Beaujolais-Villages, Côes-du-Rhone, Savigny-lès-Beaune ...

... if you're in your 20s or 30s, and are reading this, heed my words. You can get 80% of perfection from these "little" wines. Do your research, buy them by the case (several cases a year if you can), and forget about them for ten years. Be the smart money.

• Like 1

This was the first $40+ a bottle case I'd ever purchased - and part of it is b/c I really like supporting Jeff and Kelly (the other part is I happen to really like essentially all of their wines) so I figured I mind as well take the guy who made it seriously.  I look forward to having some actual storage (vs. a few racks in the bottom of closets and in a basement storage unit) when I move to the Arlington area from downtown in (hopefully) a few weeks.  It'll give me some space to be thoughtful about things I'd like to see how they do from an age perspective...

I'd had a half bottle of the 2010 at the Ashby Inn (where I was chastised for committing wine infanticide) and its really quite remarkable how much difference just a year and change has made with this wine.

This was the first $40+ a bottle case I'd ever purchased - and part of it is b/c I really like supporting Jeff and Kelly (the other part is I happen to really like essentially all of their wines) so I figured I mind as well take the guy who made it seriously.  I look forward to having some actual storage (vs. a few racks in the bottom of closets and in a basement storage unit) when I move to the Arlington area from downtown in (hopefully) a few weeks.  It'll give me some space to be thoughtful about things I'd like to see how they do from an age perspective...

I'd had a half bottle of the 2010 at the Ashby Inn (where I was chastised for committing wine infanticide) and its really quite remarkable how much difference just a year and change has made with this wine.

I have some wine racks you (or anyone else) can have.

This was the first $40+ a bottle case I'd ever purchased - and part of it is b/c I really like supporting Jeff and Kelly (the other part is I happen to really like essentially all of their wines) so I figured I mind as well take the guy who made it seriously. 

Buying 13 bottles is a good strategy - you can try one young, and not experience the heartbreak of opening the case. :)

We may see you there.  We go on the 6th @3:00.  I believe his 2009 Petit Verdot is the best wine he has ever made.  I've only had it once and then perhaps only a glass but it was absolutely delicious.  I really look forward to tasting it again, hopefully to confirm my initial opinion.  Also, don't overlook the 2010 LInden Boissseau either which I believe is the best wine that Jim Law has yet made.  I'm basing this on a couple of bottles.  Both the '09 Glen Manor Petit Verdot and the '10 Linden Boisseau are absolute bombs, about 15.5 to 15.8% alcohol.  Really big.  The Wine Enthusiast actually called the Boisseau a "bomb" and then noted that it was also smooth.

But I remember Glen Manor's '09 PV and sitting at a table and just staring at the glass.  I think Jeff only made two barrels of this.  I'm really looking forward to the tasting.

By the way, do you know where Boisseau Vineyard is?  Literally, downtown Front Royal.

Joe - unfortunately we are actually set up for April 5th at 3pm.

I have never had the petit verdot - but I bought half a case of the '10 that I'll be picking up while we do the vertical, so I'm really looking forward to the tasting.  I think it was one of your descriptors that really peaked my interest when you compared it to Valpolicello  and I was further interested when Jeff used some of the the ripasso techniques with his '10 vintages.

As I was googling around in preparation for our first visit of '14 to Glen Manor tomorrow for their Petit Verdot vertical tasting, I came across this:

Jeff White named Grape Grower of the Year by the Virginia Vineyards Association

Congrats to Jeff!

Also, they recently released their 2013 Sauv Blanc, Rose, and Petit Manseng as well as their first Merlot based blend (named T. Ruth after this grandmother) - I more than likely will find myself coming home with a mixed case on top of the Petit Verdot they've been holding for me.  I think it's pretty cool how they renamed the Rose in honor of one of their "farming family" - the blurb from the case club newsletter:

"Morales Rosé is in honor of Jose Morales and his family.  They have long worked here, diligently, tirelessly, expertly, and are so crucial to our operation and its success.  They have become dear friends and a close extension of our farming family."

Jeff, Kelly and the rest of the Glen Manor team continue to be true class acts - just one of the reasons they are a winery (and family) worth supporting (on top of their great wine  B) ).

I noticed a few bottles of 2010 Hodder Hill on the VA shelf at Ace Beverages a few days ago. If it is a wine you must have regardless of the price, there it is. I'm glad I got some when it was first released, found at Whole Foods in Arlington, a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

Joe - unfortunately we are actually set up for April 5th at 3pm.

I have never had the petit verdot - but I bought half a case of the '10 that I'll be picking up while we do the vertical, so I'm really looking forward to the tasting.  I think it was one of your descriptors that really peaked my interest when you compared it to Valpolicello  and I was further interested when Jeff used some of the the ripasso techniques with his '10 vintages.

I posted yesterday about the '09 Linden Hardscrabble Red and I thought it would only be appropriate to open a bottle of Glen Manor's '10 Petit Verdot tonight.  (Tomorrow night, for the trifecta, I go for Delaplane's '10 Williams Gap!)

I made something of an investment in this since I believe that Jeff's '09 Petit Verdot is one of the best reds ever produced in VA.  I hesitate to write this for fear that he will read it and...raise the price when he releases his '13 (which from the barrel is incredible).  This is the first bottle I've opened since picking it up in April.  I first tasted this last fall and then again at the PV tasting which you were at.

It is really interesting to see how this wine has evolved over time.

http://www.amazon.com/Schott-Zwiesel-Stemware-Collection-28-4-Ounce/dp/B00284AIP8 is the link for Schott Zweisel's 28 1/2 ounce fishbowl sized burgundy glass which are on sale for $14 a glass (regular $25) with a set of 6.  I opened the Petit Verdot an hour ago straight out of a Eurocave @55 degrees.  I poured a quarter of the bottle from one fishbowl sized glass to another and then back.  And then back again.  Swirled it a few times and left the room for the hour noted.

There are caramel like syrupy streaks of ink oozing down the sides of the curved bowl.  Quintarelli like driblets sluicing into the black pool.  Darkest, thickest glass of liquid I have ever seen in Virginia.  Seriously visually reminiscent of a pool of the best amarone.  Actually the best syrah.  Charles Smith, Sine Qua Non, Sanguis Six White Horses:  this approaches their league on the sides of and in the deep thick puddle in the glass.  My nose is a third of the way down the inside of the glass.  Blackberries, figs, blueberries-pick a dark fruit and it is there.

The mouthfeel is thick, syrupy, a balance of sweet and candied fruit, lucious as it goes down.  And lasts for a while.

I thought Jeff's '09 Petit Verdot was the best red he has ever made.  His '10 is better.

A remarkable, breathtakingly good wine.

Cult wine.  In Virginia.

Remind us how to procure GMV's petit verdot. Is it for case club members only? When I was a member a few years ago, I don't remember the PV being available...but my memory isn't too great. I don't recall every seeing it being served in the tasting room.

I opened the '10 Williams Gap earlier this month and it was very good. It will definitely benefit with the similar treatment you gave the PV.  I did it a disservice and did not decant it or let it mellow long before dinner..a bad habit of mine...so it was a bit tight...but also a lot of dark berries and very smooth.

I had a serious argument with the tasting room manager at King Family Vineyards:  they were asking $80 for a bottle of their '07 Meritage and, after selling it, they poured it in tiny, precious sized glasses.  If I had swirled it once it would have spilled on the counter.

I should also mention that it was served warm.

it didn't matter than this had won an earlier VA Governor's Cup:  their presentation of it was awful.

I gave Glen Manor's '10 Petit Verdot, LInden's '09 Hardscrabble Red (and '10 Boisseau) and the upcoming '10 Delaplane Williams Gap the presentation which I described above.  I'm not trying to be difficult but these are all very young wines that will improve even more with age.  I am just trying to taste them as best I can right now.  I believe they will improve, perhaps dramatically so, with age.  I am trying my best to realize, to taste that now.

I want to add an addendum:  honestly, I do the same with most of the wine I drink.  This includes what I buy with the Kirkland label as well as wine that I buy as futures.  A couple of years or more of bottle age and the proper presentation makes many reds taste better.

Glen Manor PV was sold to case club members.  I qualified because I bought several cases of Hodder Hill, '11 Rapheus (great dessert wine) and petit manseng.  I believe there were only two or so barrels of the PV which is about 50 cases.  (Same is true with Linden's '10 Boisseau)  Having tasted the '09 and also attending the barrel tasting noted above I knew what I was getting into. I chased it.  Literally pestered the hell out of Jeff for the '10.    There was simply never enough for this to be served in the tasting room.  Same is true for Linden Boisseau.

My wife would say that I buy too much wine, regardless of the reason and regardless of where it is from.

Sorry for the rant.

I am loath to quote in its entirety Jeff's Seasonal Update, mailed last week to Glen Manor's case club list, but these two excerpts about the 2018 growing season stand out:

As I think you know, 2017 was the best vintage that I have ever experienced.  And you may also know that 2018 was the worst that I have ever experienced.  

Early on I thought, okay no Hodder Hill or St. Ruth for 2018.  I can still find a Vin Rouge out there.  But no, after Hurricane Florence hit, it was over.  We did not harvest any red grapes in 2018 for red wine.

Of the non-red wines, Jeff writes that they did manage to harvest the SB, PM, and enough red blocks for the Morales Rosé.  For the moment, GM is preparing the 2017 reds for release.

If you've seen the very steep HH parcel and followed Jeff's efforts to make wine "in the vineyard" (2014 Virginia Grower of the Year), you'll understand that it wasn't merely fruit that was lost to Florence, but also a tremendous amount of labor.  I don't know what the loss of the 2018 red crop will mean for their bottom line in one to two years' time, but I'm sure that the continuing support of their fans will be appreciated in the coming year.

33 minutes ago, ol_ironstomach said:

If you've seen the very steep HH parcel and followed Jeff's efforts to make wine "in the vineyard" (2014 Virginia Grower of the Year), you'll understand that it wasn't merely fruit that was lost to Florence, but also a tremendous amount of labor.  I don't know what the loss of the 2018 red crop will mean for their bottom line in one to two years' time, but I'm sure that the continuing support of their fans will be appreciated in the coming year.

The news from Linden was similar.  I'll be making a point to buy cases at both when these vintages are released.  The downside of terroir is the actual weather that can deal you a crappy hand once in a while. Apologies for the weather - I know it sucked for us but is far more financially and personally difficult for those that produce our favorite beverage.

5 hours ago, ol_ironstomach said:

It really does suck. But, as Jeff mentioned in the e-mail and flat out told me the other day, he was not going to make a wine that he couldn't be proud of. 

It's also a warning to remember to avoid most VA reds from 2018. If Jeff can't get grapes to ripen sufficiently before losing them to rot due to excess moisture on that plot (up to 30% gradient, super rocky crappy soils) than all the folks on the flatlands with clay heavy soils...

Let's just say that you're going to see a lot of 2018 mystery VA red wine where the source of the grapes will be very carefully hidden.

PS - I'm not exactly unibiased, as I calculate that my house consumes .5% of GM's entire annual production, but the 2017 SavBlanc is the best he has ever done and the 2016 PetitManseng is gangster right now.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 7:55 PM, JPW said:

PS - I'm not exactly unibiased, as I calculate that my house consumes .5% of GM's entire annual production, but the 2017 SavBlanc is the best he has ever done and the 2016 PetitManseng is gangster right now.

Hear, hear.  Those two were the core of our most recent case buy a few months back.

11 hours ago, ol_ironstomach said:

Hear, hear.  Those two were the core of our most recent case buy a few months back.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:49 AM, The Doctor said:

Me too! Is there a corner at the bar? Just wondering how it worked with your group of four, if you were all seated next to one another or something else.

Interesting. Manseng both Petit and Gros are fairly obscure even in France. It makes really delicious dessert wine. Extremely aromatic. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

Interesting. Manseng both Petit and Gros are fairly obscure even in France. It makes really delicious dessert wine. Extremely aromatic. 

Jurançon isn't *that* obscure, although I guess it's better-known regionally among the general French population, and maybe they aren't familiar with its varietals.

Boy, this is one of the saddest emails I've gotten recently:

---

It is my sad task to inform you of the sudden and tragic passing of our friend, neighbor, so important and loved member of our community and of our Glen Manor family, Jane Angela Whitney.  She died heroically trying to save her best friend and her friend’s dog after falling through thin ice on a pond on Jane’s property.  Sadly, all three perished.  For those of you who may not know Jane, she was our British addition behind the counter.

We are in a state of shock and deep sadness.  The loss has hit hard.  Jane has been a fixture in our tasting room almost since we opened in 2008 and I worked with her at Linden Vineyards starting in 1996.  She was our matriarch and I know touched many of you and was an integral part of your Glen Manor experience.

In addition to working for me, she volunteered for Hospice and for the Front Royal Women’s Resource Center.   She loved dogs and usually had around six strays or rescues living with her.  No services are as of yet planned as her family and friends are scattered all over the country and globe.  She will rest in Arlington National Cemetery with the love of her life Scott Whitney who passed in 1996.

Sincerely,
Jeff

• Sad 2

Just heart breaking.  Jane was a wonderful person and filled Glen Manors tasting room with warmth whenever she was there (which was almost every time we visited).  

I can’t fathom how distraught Kelly and Jeff must be.  Jen and I are going to make a trip out there next weekend to have a glass in Janes honor.  

This is beyond horrible.  I remember Jane from her time at Linden, and from the "Small World" Department, once was on the same ferry as her from Hatteras to Ocracoke, NC.

I'm surprised this didn't make the local news.  Hell, I'm surprised this didn't make the national news.

R.I.P.

52 minutes ago, Bart said:

I'm surprised this didn't make the local news.  Hell, I'm surprised this didn't make the national news.

It did (and it might).

"Two Women, Dog Found Dead in Bentonville Pond"  by Max Lee on dnronline.com
"Stepdaughter: Women May Have Died in Pond while Trying To Save Dog" by Melissa Topey on nvdaily.com
"2 Women, Dog, Found Dead in Icy Pond in Warren County" by Sophia Barnes on nbcwashington.com
"Hallan Cuerpos de 2 Mujeres y Perro en Estanque Congelado en el Condado Warren" on telemundowashingtondc.com