Curbside Cafe and Curbside Cupcakes, Cafe in Near Southeast and a Roving Pink Cupcake Truck - Union Market Kiosk is Gone, Truck is on Hiatus and Cafe Is Closed

I'm not sure if this counts as a food cart, but I had a cupcake today from Curbside Cupcakes (re-locates 3-4 times throughout the day until it runs out of cupcakes).

I full realize the cupcake trend is getting a bit old, and $3 is a lot to pay for a cupcake, but damn, it was tasty. I really wanted a Friday treat, they were parked close to my office, and the moist chocolate cake with peppermint icing certainly hit the spot.

I won't go out of my way in the future to buy one, but if they're nearby and I'm in the mood, I'd certainly hit the truck up again for a red velvet or key lime treat.

I've tried them. They are pretty middle of the road cupcakes. Nothing special in terms of taste, texture or overall quality.

Concur. I went during their Federal Center stop today for a cookies-n-cream, but they ran out of them (and red velvet) a few people ahead of me. I got a chocolate with chocolate icing and a vanilla/vanilla for a co-worker (today, they also had chocolate with raspberry icing). She enjoyed her vanilla/vanilla, saying it tasted like it had a bit of lemon to it. I liked my chocolate well enough, but not enough to run down regularly. The icing had a very mild milk chocolate flavor, and the cake had a decent flavor, probably helped along by the miniature chocolate chips throughout. It was definitely not a particularly moist cupcake. The ratio of cupcake: icing is decent; at least, I didn't think the amount of icing was overwhelming.

I've tried them. They are pretty middle of the road cupcakes. Nothing special in terms of taste, texture or overall quality.

I think their 'cake' is better than Georgetown Cupcake's cake, but their icing/frosting is not nearly as good as GC's. I tried my first one of theirs today (peanut butter).

Finally got a chance to make it outside to the Curbside truck today; both the coconut and red velvet are entirely acceptable. I'd give their red velvet the nod over Georgetown Cupcake's; I think the texture of Curbside's cake is better, and the cream cheese icing on Curbside's isn't as sweet. I do wish the icing was a little more spread out rather than being a large piped blob on top of each cupcake, but at least it's good icing. I've still got a carrot cake cupcake left to go, so we'll see if it's as good as the other two.

This thing has obviously taken off ridiculously well (as evidenced at the long lines at every stop), and I'm on the bandwagon. I've now tried the Red Velvet, the Peanut Butter Cup, the Cookies and Cream, the Key Lime, the Carrot Cake and the Chocolate with Chocolate Icing (the Chocolate with Peppermint Icing was a seasonal thing they don't have anymore). Just writing this makes me want to go for a run thinking about all the calories inhaled, but at least it was over a 3 month span!

If I had to choose, I think the Cookies and Cream is my favorite. It's chocolatey without being overwhelming, and has a cute little mini Oreo on top. The PB cup is a very close second and is insanely rich, but you have to really be in the mood for peanut butter. I was hesitant to try the Key Lime since I had a similar flavor at Red Velvet Cupcakery that tasted like cleaning solution. Curbside's, however, was delicious. The Red Velvet's cream cheese icing is the best part, and the chocolate/chocolate is good, but overwhelmingly rich. Carrot Cake was my least favorite, but I'm not a huge CC fan to begin with. It seemed a little dryer than the others.

I'll echo Hannah that I wish the icing was a little more spread out, but usually I just kind of pat it down myself to cover the whole top. I'm an icing fan, so I like that there's a generous amount :lol: . If you follow them on Facebook or Twitter they're having fan appreciation this week where the first 60 people at each stop to use the secret password of the day get a free vanilla, chocolate or red velvet!

Rumor on a neighborhood listserv has them possibly opening a bricks and mortar location in the old Crepes on the Corner space at 15th and C, SE.  I know they park trucks in an alley right near there, but otherwise, that's all I got.

ETA:  Someone asked Curbside Cupcakes about this on Twitter and they confirmed that they are moving into the space.

Not mentioned on their website, but when I crossed through the basement food court at Pentagon City mall last month, Curbside had a kiosk location there, as well.

It was there in May, but was not there in August. My guess is they closed it to focus on the DC locations, because they were doing a nice little business at the mall.

When I was driving to Safeway earlier, I saw a sandwich board sign with balloons at the corner of 14th and C, SE, promoting the cafe, but I couldn't really read it.  I checked twitter and they have this announcement of the opening.  According to their Facebook page, the current hours are 7-10 AM, Tues.-Fri. (257 15th St., SE)

ETA: Just saw this blog post, which has a picture of the menu and some of the offerings.  I recognize the counter from when it was the crepe place.

• Like 1

The sign down the block for the Curbside Cafe now says that they will also be open Saturdays from 8 am until noon.  Tuesdays through Fridays the hours are still 7 to 10 AM.  Last time I asked, they were still getting their lunch menu hammered out and, once that was done, they would be expanding their weekday hours.

They had a gorgeous assortment of pastries out this morning, but, of course, I forgot to take a picture.  This is a close-up of the savory pop tart I bought to takeout (bacon/egg/cheddar).  They had already sold out of the spinach ones by 9AM.

post-212-0-41483500-1383230319_thumb.jpg

According to a posting on a neighborhood listserv, Curbside Cafe is now open 7AM to 4 PM, Tuesday through Friday, and 8 to 4 on Saturdays.  The lunch menu features turkey, pork, and grilled cheese sandwiches at this point.  They also have wifi working.

The cafe at 15th and C is really thriving.  They have kids' toys around and there are many parents there with their kids at any time I go in.  There seem to be moms' groups who go in with their infants and toddlers at certain times.  It's more families on the weekend.  Today, in addition to families with kids, it was pretty full of 20-somethings when I stopped in for coffee at about 10:30.  This neighborhood has really changed.

The owners have done an excellent job of rolling out this business.  It feels more comfy and homey than the crepe place did in the same location.  Unfortunately, from an aethestic standpoint (and I'm not that fanatical about aesthetics), the external color scheme of the building (earthen colors) really looks weird up against their signature pink-and-white signage.  There's not really much that can be done about that.  It went fine with the Crepes on the Corner color theme, and the Curbside folks of course want to keep their identifiable colors and logo, their brand.

The menu has expanded to include multiple flavors of milkshakes and also several types of pancakes.  They serve Vigilante coffee and also sell it pre-packaged.

Usually I just order coffee here, but today I got a sandwich:  roasted (real) turkey on multigrain bread with roasted red peppers, cheddar, pickles, turkey bacon, salad greens, and lemon-garlic aioli ($6.50).  It's a thick sandwich and a good value for the price.  The bread must be kept refrigerated, as it was quite cold upon delivery, but it was otherwise a solid sandwich, and they made it for me even though I think it was before their regular lunch hours.  Maybe I should have asked if they could toast the bread.

I've been avoiding the cafe on weekends because the lines are pretty long. It's quite a mecca for young neighborhood families. Things are quieter on a weekday, but with a steady trickle of business.  Their wi-fi was a lifesaver today and worth the $12 I paid for a large coffee, the sandwich, and a Diet Coke over a couple of hours.

FYI:  The cafe hours are currently abbreviated (closing at 2 PM) because of a family illness.

Just a note:  As of late last year, the cafe is now open for three meals a day, seven days a week:  7 AM - 6 PM, M - F; 8 AM - 6 PM, Sat. - Sun.

I haven't inquired as to whether there are special menu items for the evening meal or this is just an extension of the existing menu into later hours.  They seem to roll things out a little at a time, adding items (and hours) here and there.

I'm not sure what the reason is behind it (I asked an employee one day and was told "staffing issues"), but Curbside Cafe is now only open three days a week.  Their hours are Friday from 7 - 5:30, and Saturday & Sunday from 8 - 5:30.

This change occurred a couple of months ago and it seemed like it might be temporary, but by now it seems that it's the new normal.  Over Memorial Day, I believe they were also open on the Monday holiday.

Unfortunately, they've kind of fallen out of my rotation, as I stopped being able to predict when they'd be open.  And they don't serve iced tea, which the Pretzel Bakery down the block does, and which I really want when I'm out walking in the summer heat.  In contrast, Pretzel Bakery is now only closed one day a week (Mondays).