Honey Pig Gooldaegee Korean BBQ in Ellicott City

I hear that Honey Pig Gooldaegee Korean BBQ will open an Ellicott City branch on Rte 40 west of Rte 29. Howard County was still inspecting the plumbing as of today (acc'd to the building permit Web site), so I don't know the timetable to open. Nice posts about the 24-hour Annandale location here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=8982

Anyone know when it will open?

I know that Rocks wants more Baltimore content. He needs to tell people that they can't post about new Ellicott City restaurants in the DC Dining section like this joker. :angry:

Everything is an open kitchen at the new Honey Pig, which has added a casual, boisterous barbecue to Howard County's deepest ethnic cuisine.

Everything is an open kitchen because everyone at Honey Pig grills their own meat. This is a place to go for fun and meat. It's a limited menu. It's a modern, almost-industrial feel. Tables fill with young people, and servers work the floor offering more meat, more kimchi, more soju. We had god pork belly and bulgogi, although I am going to try the brisket or one of the seafood options next time because other people have said that it beats out the bulgogi.

Honey Pig is a great option for casual food. It's a lower price point and a smaller menu than standards like Shin Chon Garden. No bi bim bop when I was there, which is one of the dishes that I love. But that's the point. Consider Honey Pig like a pizza joint or a burger spot. You go for the house specialties and the casual vibe -- either an easy meal for the aficionado or a low-key introduction for people new to Korean barbecue.

This was my first Korean BBQ experience, so I can't compare it to other places. That said, Honey Pig was a frakking blast. I am not sure of menu names or numbers or anything, but the stars were a boneless beef rib recommended by the table next to us (I only remember that it was half the price of the rib dish below it on the menu--which we almost ordered), and a beef and squid spicy dish in which they cook the stuff together for a bit, then serve you half of it, chop up the rest, and add rice and veggies and cook until it gets crispy. Nothing disappointed--the pig neck was plain, but good with jalapenos and dipping sauces, the spicy pork belly was the early favorite until the other two came later, and the dumplings and veggie pancake were also tasty. Wash it down with a couple Hites (and it continues to crack me up that the beer choices are nameless, and only end up being Big and Small) and a little too much soju, and it was a fantastic, and affordable night.

I even liked the feel of the place, which someone described as industrial. Too bright, too loud/too techno/too terrible music, things I would normally hate, but it all fit and was tons of fun.

Just returned from my second voyage to honey pig. I ate at sinchon garden last week, and honey pig simply crushes it. Although I swear we ordered some of the same things from my previous visit nothing was quite the same, but it was all fantastic. New favorite: spicy pork with octopus. And please, no more soju.

The spicy pork bellies are awesome here as well...I don't think I've ever gotten anything that I wouldn't recommend (unless you're easily grossed out) but my go-to's are those and the beef ribs. Bulgogi is also very good. I may have to try the spicy pork with octopus next.

Well I've been dreaming of going to Honey Pig for a while and I finally made it! I went to their Elliott City location and ordered bulgogi, spicy thick pork belly and a side of bi bim bap and green onion seafood pancake. Everything was amazing except for the pancake. I've made green onion pancakes before and I like mine to be a little more crunchy and less puffy. Theirs reminded me almost of a funnel cake, it was so fluffy. I really liked their bi bim bap. I've had that dish before at a Japanese restaurant and it was great to taste the real thing at a Korean restaurant. I just need to find a place that makes it in a hot stone bowl with the fresh egg. (as per the receipt you can specify the done-ness of your egg but since I didn't know to specifcy it they just cooked it all the way through. Next time I know to ask for a runny yoke!). All that food plus soju was 50 dollars.

The service was great and attentive but there's a few things I didn't even know i could or should ask for. So I know for next time, are you supposed to eat the banchan at the beginning of the meal or during? And if you order the spicy pork belly can you ask them to throw rice on the pan? I wasn't sure.

I really liked their bi bim bap. I've had that dish before at a Japanese restaurant and it was great to taste the real thing at a Korean restaurant. I just need to find a place that makes it in a hot stone bowl with the fresh egg. (as per the receipt you can specify the done-ness of your egg but since I didn't know to specifcy it they just cooked it all the way through. Next time I know to ask for a runny yoke!). All that food plus soju was 50 dollars.

Bi-bim-bap in a stone bowl is dolsot bi-bim-bap. That should have been on the menu. I always leave a thin layer of rice on the bottom of the dolsot so that the rice gets nice and brown and crunchy. One of my favorite things.

are you supposed to eat the banchan at the beginning of the meal or during? And if you order the spicy pork belly can you ask them to throw rice on the pan? I wasn't sure.

You eat banchan whenever you want. Some banchan enhances the taste of some foods, but that's a personal thing more than a traditional one. If something looks good, eat it. You can always get more (generally. Ask me about my experiences in Pinellas Park, FL sometimes and the charge for kimchi :().

I like to put a little bit of this or than in with the meat as I roll it into a ssam. For example last night at another place, I used the sweet & sour shredded daikon with Galbi and it was incredible. The fishy flavored ones at Honey Pig are especially good with the pork belly.