Carolina Kitchen, Lance London's Southern Cooking in Largo, Hyattsville, and NE Washington

Just found out that this is where we're heading this weekend for a friend's birthday dinner. I've walked by the Hyattsville location a few times when I'm at University Town Center, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the place. Completely off-the-cuff first impression is Olive Garden does soul food.

In short, what am I getting myself into?

Just found out that this is where we're heading this weekend for a friend's birthday dinner. I've walked by the Hyattsville location a few times when I'm at University Town Center, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the place. Completely off-the-cuff first impression is Olive Garden does soul food.

In short, what am I getting myself into?

Did it live up to this statement made on their website?

"The Carolina Kitchen is the most amazing and popular southern cuisine restaurant chain in the nation."

Did it live up to this statement made on their website?

"The Carolina Kitchen is the most amazing and popular southern cuisine restaurant chain in the nation."

I actually ended up working later than I had hoped the night we were supposed to go, so I didn't end up going. With that said, I think we both know the answer to that question.

Plans are to open a third location on Feb. 28 at 2350 Washington Place, NE, DC according to the Washingtonian.

I walk by this every day on the way to the Metro (it was originally supposed to open Summer 2013). They also have a related burger place opening right next door.

I've never been to the others, so don't know if it's more than just a lot of fried food. But always good to have some new options in the hood.

Been to the one in Largo. It was OK, for the area, but there isn't a lot of competition either. When we lived EOTR, this was an easy place to head for dinner, and they participated in the mileage dining program so we got 5 miles per dollar spent. It's been probably 6 years since we went too. It is basically like Panda Express for "southern" food. Everything was on steam tables and they probably do more carry-out business than eat in because the line to order food took up half the space inside the restaurant. Better alternative at that location was the Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffles place, which I think has since closed.