TaKorean - Mike Lenard's Korean Barbecue Tacos Expanding to Several DC Locations

I liked the tofu taco--it was moist with a moo shi pork flavor. The chicken in the chicken taco was a little overcooked, though. Didn't sample the bulrogi/kimchi combo because I am a weenie. Definitely a good value for the money by L'Enfant Plaza standards, but not sure I'd stand in line 50 minutes again. Folks texting their buds into the line, and people ordering for their office added to the wait time.

Agreed. The tacos are solid, but not wait in a long line good. The bulgogi isn't so much bulgogi as sliced steak, which was surprisingly cooked to medium rare. Given how thick each slice was, the marinade didn't really permeate enough. It's a nice option, but being down the street from a Food Chain cart that sells tacos with less of a wait, I'd rather eat there.

It's a nice option, but being down the street from a Food Chain cart that sells tacos with less of a wait, I'd rather eat there.

I agree with this statement. It's definitely not $8-worth when I have a cheaper option at Food Chain equally nearby. The sesame oil was too overpowering for me on the tofu, but if I had to choose between tofu or chicken, I would pick the tofu because I concur with the chicken statements upthread.

Also, dear TaKorean truck - could you get better containers? The steam from the tacos made the bottom of those county fair-checkered-holders wet and messy.

These guys are at Union Market. Haven't had a chance to try them there yet (oysters seem to always get in the way when I'm at UM) but wanted to share that they'll do their different meat marinades with a GF soy if you request it in advance. We were surprised when they offered that but so they did. Maybe for the truck too but not sure about that.

These guys are at Union Market. 

Went to Union Market for the first time on Saturday morning and I was unimpressed with Takorean (also first time and probably last time with their food). While the food was fresh, I did not like their tortilla one bit. These doubled up corn tortilla managed to be grilled, yet soggy and bad tasting. I had the tofu with nappa cabbage and bulgogi beef with kimchi - both with all of the fixins and the flavors were flat in both. Definitely much better eats to be had in the market.

Soft opening tomorrow at Navy Yard, 1212 4th St, SE, via TaKorean's tweet.

I've written the owner for clarification, but maybe cheezpowder can help me too. This is now brick-and-mortar in Union Market, adjoined by one, or two, trucks? I can't quite find the answer anywhere. Do the trucks ever leave DC? Is Union Market their home base for loading up the trucks? I'm hoping the owners of some of these establishments will come on here and engage us directly - it's very confusing sometimes, especially once they get a brick-and-mortar home base.

As a rule, if a food truck operation has a home base, I list them *only* under that home base, and make a brief annotation that there are delivery trucks as well. This is why, for example, TaKorean is no longer listed under multiple locations under "Food Trucks." They're a "real" restaurant now, with delivery options - at least that's the obvious way it looks to me.

What exactly is the "soft opening" at Navy Yard tomorrow, another brick-and-mortar, or is it a new location for their truck? Or is it a brand new, second truck that will be stationed there? If there are indeed two brick-and-mortar locations, it will go back into the Multiple Locations guide, but this time not under Food Trucks; it will go under whatever classification their brick-and-mortar locations fall into, and I think that will be something new.

What exactly is the "soft opening" at Navy Yard tomorrow, another brick-and-mortar, or is it a new location for their truck? Or is it a brand new, second truck that will be stationed there? If there are indeed two brick-and-mortar locations, it will go back into the Multiple Locations guide, but this time not under Food Trucks; it will go under whatever classification their brick-and-mortar locations fall into, and I think that will be something new.

Based on the instagram photo linked via the tweet, it's a bricks and mortar operation.

• Like 1

Tried the Takorean at National Place.  The food court is usually a zoo, but it was fairly quiet on Friday afternoon at 12:30pm...August in DC.  Only a couple of people in front of me and I moved through the line quickly.  I went with two pork tacos and one tofu, the "kimchi" slaw, lime crema, and cilantro...$9.90.

I don't even want to know what the sodium levels are for these tacos...salt bombs.  The pork meat basically just tasted vaguely Asian and salt.  Same with the tofu.  When you get a bite of fillings/slaw/crema/cilantro its a party in your mouth, other wise salt, salt, salt.

I think I'm going to be drinking gallons of water all afternoon.