Bloomsbury & Fitzrovia Neighborhoods

kirite

We would like to find five or six places for lunch in these neighborhoods, including one or two vegetarian options. We are staying at a hotel at the north end of Tottenham Court Road and would like to walk to the restaurants.

Admittedly, it was 7 years ago that I lived right about where your hotel is (on the corner with Euston Rd.), but there is a trememdous street, Charlotte Street 'bout a block west running parallel to Tottenham Court Rd. that has some truly trememdous eats. Of course, the only name I can remember is Pied a Terre, a Michelin 2-star with heavy dose of Gallicness but in an oh so English way. A quick google search should unearth the rest. Off the top of my head, there are both phenomenal Italian and Eastern Inidan, toward the bottom of Charlotte St.

A little further down Euston Rd, toward Great Portland Street, is Villandry, a combination fancy-pants market, cheese counter, bar and restaurant, with the required 21st century emphasis on local, sustainable, organic, heirloom, etc...

It's been more years than I care to admit, but when I was a student in London way-back-when, I'd walk to save Tube fare and skip the pub so I could grab a bite at Villandry every now and then. Delightful.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I just discovered a website featuring restaurants on Charlotte Street. Lots of very interesting places. We will be there in mid-May, so there might even be the oppotunity for al fresco dining.

Well, if you find yourself in Bloomsbury late one afternoon, please do stop by Bea's of Bloomsbury for a snack or afternoon tea service, if possible. They are one of few places that is has late tea service (they close at 7pm on Saturdays), and their full afternoon tea service is quite reasonable for English tea at 24.50 pounds per person. Bibimbap and I, on a late whim, managed to squeeze in a reservation here one Saturday afternoon at 5:30pm.

The tea tray was more than plentiful, with extras that became our breakfast the next morning. We liked that their scones were buttery, the cakes were light and moist (even the next day), and the service was super friendly.