Bacon

Soup

Ok. I've had it with sub par bacon. I've gotten bacon from costco, BJs, safeway, giant, etc. They all have issues. Mostly too much Fat and the quality is not all that great. Is there somewhere where I can get decent bacon (i'd prefer not to do mail order)?

The quick version of places I tried:

Eastern Market

Whole Foods (Only sometimes and only if it's from their meat counter. Had some recently at a party and they were pretty good.)

Red Apron (Nathan Anda, Farmers' Markets)

Westover Market/Eco-Friendly at Farmers' Markets (Some do have a little more fat though)

I'm extremely biased since I helped start the bacon program at Westover, but I think it's some of the best out there. It comes down to what you like. The good thing is if you like it lean, Bruce can make it lean for you since he makes it in house.

In general the center section of a belly is meatier than the ends, so if you can get it, ask for slices from the center section. This is true for any kind of slab bacon.

I'm extremely biased since I helped start the bacon program at Westover, but I think it's some of the best out there. It comes down to what you like. The good thing is if you like it lean, Bruce can make it lean for you since he makes it in house.

In general the center section of a belly is meatier than the ends, so if you can get it, ask for slices from the center section. This is true for any kind of slab bacon.

who is bruce and what is the westover bacon program?

1000yregg and cousins provided us with an adorable little jar of bacon marmalade from Brooklyn. While I can't suggest substituting it in typical marmalade situations, my best attempt at a description would be: imagine if somebody had invented a seriously crunchy (as in peanut butter) hoisin sauce with pork belly.

This would probably be a killer condiment with some roast duck.

4093721973_97ce20f5e5_o.gif