Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

Just wanted to get myself going.

And what better way, than to sing the praises of my favorite spot.

Thanks to Tom and his crew for a mgnificent evening of food and drink for our Rocks roast.

That mushroom and crab(?) soup just added to my assertion that Chef Tom has the magic touch when it comes to that course.

The steak was out of this world good. Someone mentioned elsewhere that it was in the same league as Ray's, and I agree.

Spring rolls, Kit Kat bars and ice cream -- all excellent.

But of course the piece de resistance was the company.

The steak was out of this world good. Someone mentioned elsewhere that it was in the same league as Ray's, and I agree.

But of course the piece de resistance was the company.

I'm still dumbfounded that there was no pork used in the preparation of that steak. We all were fooled. Who knew that grapeseed oil + great steak = rich pork flavor?

[Posted on eGullet 2003-2004]

Ask the famous chefs in Washington to list the great underrated cooks in this town, ask them to count the top underpublicized talents on their fingers, and also ask them to stick one of their hands in a meat grinder before they do it: Tom Power of Corduroy will still make the list.

So many great things to say about this wonderful restaurant. Location be damned, I like the interior very much. The restaurant is chef-owned. The staff is honest and caring if a bit green. The wine list is excellently chosen and bargain-priced. The chef is not only in the restaurant, but also in the kitchen - the last time I was there, he was busting his ass on the line. From start-to-finish, this was one of the best meals I've had in a long, long time. Tom Power is a major talent. Nobody would accuse him of being a marketing genius, but can anyone out there say he can't deliver a fabulous meal on the plate?

Earth to everyone: Saturday night, there was one - and only one - cover served in the bar portion at Corduroy: me. A couple people were there drinking, but nobody was dining at all. Tired of overpriced, indifferent restaurants? Go to Corduroy. Sick of celebrity chefs that "work the room" but don't sweat it out by the stove? Go to Corduroy. Want multiple interesting small courses for under $15 each? Go to Corduroy. Want terrific wines for under $35 a bottle? Go to Corduroy. Corduroy is the most unsung fine-dining establishment in Washington DC. Think Palena falls under the radar? Lower your radar screen about 30 degrees and you'll see Corduroy flying that much lower. This place needs to be supported. It's brilliant I tell you, absolutely brilliant. If you go and sit at the bar, and order off the menu, and give the merest hint of caring about your meal, then you'll be treated like royalty. The food is terrific. It sickens me that on a Saturday night, I was the ONLY PERSON in the bar having dinner, and down the street, the Cheesecake Factory was filled with a bunch of indifferent, couch-dwelling, bon-bon-dropping, Wonderbread-buying mall-shopping minivan-driving hell-hags and rednecks who were spending THE SAME AMOUNT on their fettucine al Crisco that I was spending on my lobster carpaccio. This is a sin, and it sickens me that this city cannot support a restaurant with as much brilliance and talent as Corduroy.

Tom Power is a great technical cook, and he'll serve you a great meal if you go. Corduroy needs the support of people who care about food. The location is horrible and it's simply too good to be empty. Yes, I'm pumping this restaurant with this post, but it's for a reason: I want places like this to succeed, and you should too. Okay, I've said what I wanted to say, and here are the obligatory specifics which will undoubtedly be slightly different the evening you go ... and I hope you do go.

The carpaccio of lobster with mizuma and citrus is an impossibly thin, elegantly presented raw lobster with the barest hint of citrus and mizuma greens. Parsnip soup is overnight-roasted parsnips thickened with foie gras (!) and enlightened by tarragon. The veal cheeks are lovingly enhanced with tomatoes, thyme, orange peel, veal stock and celery. Two chocolate desserts are head-on, unabashed, temples of chocolate: the chocolate tart with caramelized banana is worthy of awe, and the caramelized banana is as brilliantly executed as any I've ever tried (with apologies to the brilliant version with foie gras at Nectar). Baked chocolate 'Sabayon' is another example of Tom Power's rock-solid ability to work this important medium: no kitchen in all of Washington is going to turn out two better chocolate desserts on any given evening than these brilliant testaments.

Cheers,

Rocks.

• Thanks 1

[Posted on eGullet 2003-2004]

My vote for Best Value For Any Single Food Item in all of Washington must go to Corduroy's Filipino Spring Rolls during Happy Hour. From 4-7 PM at the bar only, these things are FOUR DOLLARS, and even at the regular price of six dollars, it's Free Giveaway City. During lunch only, they offer two rolls for five dollars in the restaurant.

General Manager Rissa Pagsibigan is the impetus behind these spring rolls: it's her mom's own recipe, executed at the hands of the master Tom Power. Rissa told me that her mom comes in periodically and berates Tom if things aren't exactly as they're supposed to be ('You need to chop the water chestnuts a bit smaller!'). Between Rissa and Ferhat (our own fero style), Corduroy's FOH is becoming a huge strength. Next time you go in, congratulate Rissa on being one of only eight women to be invited in 2004 to join the Washington chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier.

We've all had spring rolls a million times, but I'll go out on a bamboo shoot and say that I don't think I've ever had any that are better than these.

Cheers!

Rocks.

P.S. Try the pistachio bread pudding, made with brioche!

I'm still dumbfounded that there was no pork used in the preparation of that steak.  We all were fooled.  Who knew that grapeseed oil + great steak = rich pork flavor?

Please explain this 'pork flavored' steak for me.

Joe, you forgot to mention the scallops. I had the entree version and am still dreaming of them. Soft, buttery, melt in your mouth with lentils to add a bit of texture. Mmmmmmmm

Combined with the steak it makes an excellent surf and turf wink.gif

No I did not forget. They are the opiate of the masses and I refused to have my revolutionary spirit crushed by any of those shelled mud-sucking sea animals.

PS - For those who may not know already, I abhor shellfish. They make me gag. I'm sure that Chef Tom's are great, but the fact remains for me that they are still shellfish.

When Rocks finally started sharing his steak Thursday night he said it was cooked in pork. After one bite, we all agreed. The steak tasted like it had been seared in bacon. Later in the evening we asked Chef Power and he told us that there was no pork fat used just grapeseed oil.

No I did not forget. They are the opiate of the masses and I refused to have my revolutionary spirit crushed by any of those shelled mud-sucking sea animals.

PS - For those who may not know already, I abhor shellfish. They make me gag. I'm sure that Chef Tom's are great, but the fact remains for me that they are still shellfish. smile.gif

Sorry, I forgot how I have benefited for the small flaw in your character smile.gif

I wish we could! I don't know if this is a great example of your brain influencing your sense of taste and the power of suggestion (after the first person said it tasted like pork, we all tried it and tasted the pork) or if there is some wonderful but strange chemical reaction between steak and grapeseed oil that mimics the taste of being cooked in pork fat. Besides curiosity about being able to recreate this at home, I'm not sure I care to know. Anything is possible in the world of illusion and all that.

I wish we could!  I don't know if this is a great example of your brain influencing your sense of taste and the power of suggestion (after the first person said it tasted like pork, we all tried it and tasted the pork) or if there is some wonderful but strange chemical reaction between steak and grapeseed oil that mimics the taste of being cooked in pork fat.  Besides curiosity about being able to recreate this at home, I'm not sure I care to know.  Anything is possible in the world of illusion and all that.

Looks like we all have a weekend 'homework' assignment!

Edited to say that I finally did not double space after the quote. :lol:

E-mail from Corduroy.

SAVE THE DATE

May 15, 2005

Corduroy will be hosting an exciting Clarendon Hills Wine Dinner with proprietor, Roman Bratasivk, one of Australia's top wine makers. The six-course dinner will feature single-vineyard selections of Grenache, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon. This dinner is $115 per person inclusive of tax and gratuity. Reception starts at 6:00 pm followed by dinner at 6:30pm. Please call (202) 589-0699 for reservations.

Also don't forget, Mother's Day is Sunday, May 8th. Celebrate Mother's Day with seasonal New American Cuisine prepared by Chef Tom Power. The three-course menu is $40 per person (excludes beverages, tax and gratuity) and will be offered from 12 noon to 2:30 pm and 5:00 to 10:30 pm.

MOTHER'S DAY MENU

(Choose One Per Course)

First Course

Red Snapper Bisque

Hearts of Romaine Caesar Salad

Asparagus Salad with Frisee and Chervil

Salad of Beets, Baby Carrots and Goat Cheese

Seared Barnegat Light Sea Scallops with Mizuna

Crspy Soft Shell Crab with Wilted Greens and Ver Jus

Second Course

Wild King Salmon with Fava Beans and Local Shiitake Mushrooms

Alaskan Halibut with Potato-Leek Broth

Roast Whole Baby Chicken with Arugula and Shallots

Roast Lamb Top Sirloin with Garlic Creamed Spinach

Ridgefield Farms Beef Tenderloin with Shallot Sauce

Desserts

Fresh Fruit Sorbets

Selection of Homemade Ice Creams

Seasonal Berries with Creme Anglaise

Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

Chocolate Sabayon

Chocolate Tart with Caramelized Banana

Strawberry Tart

Chef and Owner Tom Power

Reservations must be confirmed with a credit card (VISA, American Express, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club). $15 per person will be charged for cancellations made after 5:00 pm, Friday, May 6, 2005.

It's a cold and rainy Friday. Soup weather. I knew I was heading to Corduroy for dinner and planned on warming up with a bowl of the wonderful shitake and onion soup. Last week it was perfect, light, a combination I would have never thought of but worked.

Then I saw the Red Snapper Bisque on the menu. For those of you who were fortunate enough to try the Red Pumpkin Soup: remember that first spoon full. The creaminess, the smooth texture and unbelievable flavor. How does he do this, you ask yourself?

Well, once again Chef Power has created another amazing work of art in a bowl, only this time it involves seafood. Lobster stock, Red Snapper Stock and cream blended to perfection. It was exactly what I was looking for. I had to share, much to my chagrin, but this soup is too good to keep to yourself. Go, share it with loved ones, and savor every spoonful.

The scallops too lived up to expectations as did the steak. But the soup. Oh that soup. It will keep me warm until the sun returns.

Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed Corduroy and that I am not trying to knock it. However, my wife and I went there for Christmas dinner and were not blown away by the cooking. The decor/atmosphere was better than I expected considering he (Tom Powers) was dealing with a hotel but the food (although very good) did not seem to live up to the hype in the eGullet forum. I suspect that this was because it was over Christmas and so maybe not in top form. Does anyone have any thoughts. I certainly would like to try it again.

Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed Corduroy and that I am not trying to knock it.  However, my wife and I went there for Christmas dinner and were not blown away by the cooking.  The decor/atmosphere was better than I expected considering he (Tom Powers) was dealing with a hotel but the food (although very good) did not seem to live up to the hype in the eGullet forum.  I suspect that this was because it was over Christmas and so maybe not in top form.  Does anyone have any thoughts.  I certainly would like to try it again.

Possibly it was Christmas, possibly it was simply an errant evening, but it's hard to say from what you wrote. Can you describe the food that was good but not up to hype?

I paid my third visit to Corduroy on Friday night. I have quickly become a fan. It's a little strange to have to walk through the Four Points lobby and then up the stairs, but I don't find the decor as boring as some make it out to be. On the bright side, being a little out of the way at 12th and K makes for easy on-street parking!
I started with the Red Snapper Bisque. The waiter described the bisque as more of a lobster bisque and he was right. Very nice.

The Wagyu beef was quite good. I'm not sure I share the opinion that it tastes like it's been cooked in pork fat, but it was clearly a fine cut piece of beef and was cooked to a perfect medium rare. In the past I've had the scallops and the roast chicken. Both were excellent.

I tried the pistachio bread pudding (I love a good bread pudding) and it caught me a little by surprise. It was presented as a cake with layers of nuts = it looked like a doberge, really. My grandmother's bread pudding is still the best, but this definitely ranked up there.

I wouldn't characterize the food at Corduroy as amazing. But it is clear that thought was put into the menu and everything I have had has been precisely prepared using top-quality ingredients. The staff still seems a bit green, but are sincere and I'm sure the very minor service issues will eventually work themselves out. What truly makes the place wonderful is that DC is lacking restaurants of such high quality and a good value for the money. It is a rarity in these parts and I plan to do my best to support it and others like it! I look forward to seeing more spring/summer dishes on the menu on future visits.

I wish we could!  I don't know if this is a great example of your brain influencing your sense of taste and the power of suggestion (after the first person said it tasted like pork, we all tried it and tasted the pork) or if there is some wonderful but strange chemical reaction between steak and grapeseed oil that mimics the taste of being cooked in pork fat.  Besides curiosity about being able to recreate this at home, I'm not sure I care to know.  Anything is possible in the world of illusion and all that.

I am not sure what cut of steak you all had (I will be conducting field research soon), but I pan seard a Sunnyside flat iron with grapeseed oil and tasted only beefy goodness.

Looks like the aging is the key. So Chef Power, how long do you age your steaks?

Corduroy got a few new converts from my office last night (the lamb sirloin with goat cheese ravioli and the tuna with hajiki won them over). I had the wagyu steak because I had to see if now knowing there was no pork fat involved if my brain would kill the pork flavor cues. It was definitely less pronounced but still rich, nutty, and wonderfully flavorful.

As always, the staff graciously accommodated our motley bunch who swept in and took over their lounge. There were whisperings of needing to go there more instead of the lesser places closer to the office. I could definitely get behind that.

For those looking to enjoy the start of softshell crab season, they're showcasing them here.

Showcasing softshells? Oh my... oh dear..... I must make a reservation!

Welcome Edhead707!

Maybe this deserves to be a new topic, but what is the fascination with softshell crabs? To me it seems that people go a bit crazy to get them. Is is the limited availability? Are they really so good that people?

I enjoy them when available, but do not find them that so good as to go out of my way. That being said, I would love to see what Chef Power is doing with them. Hmmm, tomorrow night???

After visiting 21P and the little duck mishap I decided to grab dinner in the lounge at Corduroy.

I had Chef Power's version of softshell crab and it was delicious. Light and crispy on the outside that complimented the soft and sweet crab meat. The body was wrapped in the "shredded phyllo" from the mozzerella porcupine and was served on a bed of greens with verjus.

I had the striploin for dinner, which enough has been said about, but can say that I did not taste any pork flavor. I could have eaten a plate more of the herbed turnip gratin that was served on the side.

I had the pineapple tart for dessert as was recommended and did not leave unhappy. A nicely carmelized pineapple upside down cake with a portion of pistachio ice cream with a pineapple chip on top.

We had a great meal at Corduroy last night. I had the tuna tartare, which was fabulous, and the wagyu steak with turnip gratin. The jus/sauce for the steak was delicious, and the turnip gratin was wonderful as well. It never occurred to me that you could make a potato-type gratin with turnip, but there you go. The steak was more than I could finish, so it will be served sliced on top of mixed greens tonight as part of our dinner. My husband had the Caesar salad, which was wonderful--the anchovy flavor was just right--and the seared tuna with hajiki, which is what I usually get.

Based on my most recent visit, I have to say that Tom has elevated Corduroy from simply a great restaurant to one of Washington's few truly worthwhile and excellent dining experiences. Not to mention a wine list that puts us all to shame.

I may as well say it here myself--the Sunnyside Farms New York Strip that Tom ages perfectly and trims impeccably is every bit as good, if not better, than what we offer at Ray's. Actually, it is better.

I strongly recommend that everyone get over there as soon as possible and eat, drink, and enjoy to the fullest.

Similar to what I posted on eGullet today:

There are times in life when your expectations are so high that you cannot help being disappointed. Saturday night at Corduroy was an exception to this. Our dinner was fantastic, and a huge thank you goes to Ferhat Yalcin for taking such great care of us, which included paring wines with our dishes. My plan had been to order the Mozzarella Porcupine and the Lamb Sirloin with Goat Cheese Ravioli. However, we were also informed that they could do a tasting menu as well. With those words, my plans were tossed, and we chose to order the 5 course tasting menu. Our 5 courses consisted of the following:

1. Oysters - the 3 oysters were good, but difficult to slurp out of the shell. I am not a big oyster person, so this was the least impressive dish for me.
2. Lobster Salad - a wonderful salad consisting of chilled chunks of lobster served with baby arugula drizzled with basil oil.
3. Sorrell Soup - This soup was spectacular, and was served cold and contained the same basil oil as was used in the Lobster Salad. This was one of the highlights of our meal.
4. Red Snapper Bisque - I don't like red snapper, and I also have not had a good bisque in a restaurant for a couple of years. Yet, this soup was full of flavor and one that I would order again.
5. Scallop - served with garlic mashed potatoes and morel mushrooms. I ate this with some initial trepidation, as we were informed that the chef gets his scallops from New Jersey. Since I grew up in New Jersey, I had visions of ingesting scallops freshly harvested from the Hudson River. wink.gif However, this was probably my favorite dish, as the scallop was seared perfectly and had such a fresh, clean taste.
6. Beef Cheeks - prepared osso bucco style and served with tarbais beans. Each bite melted in my mouth. Fabulous.
7. Wagyu Steak - At this point we were expecting to have dessert. However, we were told that they had an additional entrée for us. Twist my arm; I guess I will eat the steak. biggrin.gif The Wagyu was such a flavorful steak. My wife was stuffed so I was a good husband and helped clean her plate.
8. Dessert - consisted of the chocolate tart and a strawberry tart. I don't remember much at this point (food coma had kicked in) but neither plate had anything left on them when we were done. As good as the chocolate tart is, that strawberry tart was outrageously good.

At $55 per person, this is one of the best "bargains" in town, especially since our 5 courses turned into 8 courses. Chef Tom Power stopped by to talk with us on our way out. He told me that he is originally from New Jersey, and after swapping Jersey Geography stories, he told us that the scallops come from southern New Jersey. I cannot recommend the tasting menu enough, as it gave us a great opportunity to sample several items on the menu, which included many items that I would not normally order. Thanks again to the staff at Corduroy for a wonderful experience.

Similar to what I posted on eGullet today:

5. Scallop - served with garlic mashed potatoes and morel mushrooms. I ate this with some initial trepidation, as we were informed that the chef gets his scallops from New Jersey. Since I grew up in New Jersey, I had visions of ingesting scallops freshly harvested from the Hudson River. wink.gif  However, this was probably my favorite dish, as the scallop was seared perfectly and had such a fresh, clean taste.

Ditto.

I had this a few weeks back in the bar and thought it was an interesting "surf and turf" combination - on the menu I'm not sure it reads as good as it tastes. The scallops with their faint taste of the sea work with the earthy mushrooms.

When I had it they were using shitakes, so I can imagine it is that much better with the morels.

edited to add - I find my self repeating myself a lot lately.

Thanks for the report.  We have reservations on the 18th and I am really looking forward to it. 

Can you talk about the wines a little?

The wines that we had are below:

-Charles de Fere, blanc de blancs , NV brut

-Chateau Marjosse, Entre-deux-mers 2002 (sauvignon blanc)

-Olivier Laflaive, Bourgogne, 2002 (chardonnay from burgundy)

-Allan Scott, New Zealand, 2002 (pinot noir)

-Dominis M., vin de pays, catalan, 2002 (blend of syrah and grenache from Rhone valley of France)

All of the wines were really good. Not a dud in the bunch. The chardonnay had a beautiful color; a wine that you can truly taste the grape (i.e. not overpowered by oak). The wine that stood out to me most was the Chateau Marjosse, which has quickly become my favorite Sauvignon Blanc. The vin de pays stood up well to both the Beef Cheeks and the Wagyu steak.

Oh. My. God! You are killing me with your photos!

I have been B E G G I N G friends to accompany me to Corduroy for ages now but the name just draws blank stares. No one seems to have heard of it. Or it seems to be too far off the beaten path for my friends. "The Shera-what? At K and where? Let's just go to Cafe Atlantico/Palena/Cashion's."

Tell me about eating at the bar. Okay for a single girl to dine there solo? I ask because a woman alone at the bar in a Sheraton Four Points says "hooker" or "looking to get some action" in some parts of the country.

Just kidding. Same menu?

I have been B E G G I N G friends to accompany me to Corduroy for ages now but the name just draws blank stares. No one seems to have heard of it. Or it seems to be too far off the beaten path for my friends. "The Shera-what? At K and where? Let's just go to Cafe Atlantico/Palena/Cashion's."

Tell me about eating at the bar. Okay for a single girl to dine there solo? I ask because a woman alone at the bar in a Sheraton Four Points says "hooker" or "looking to get some action" in some parts of the country.

Just kidding. Same menu?

You can order off the bar menu or the dining room menu. I've eaten there by myself several times and while I can't tell what people think of me, but they haven't approached me with either of the two possibilities you mention! So go. Or tell us that you plan on going in the on a whim thread and someone will more then likely join you.

Just kidding. Same menu?

We have a security system where if a guy tries to approach to a lady , the laser beam spots him and burns him in the eye so he cant see anything and makes my work easy.Or you can simply tell me and I`ll do the same thing without the laser using my winekey.

the address is 1201 K street second floor of the hotel. And there are no hookers allowed in Corduroy.

And there are no hookers allowed in Corduroy.

Not even for happy hour? :lol:

Seriously, had a great meal at Corduroy last week. I enjoyed the lobster salad greatly with a pinot gris glass as recommended by the server (whose name I sadly forget). Others at the table similarly had a caesar salad and the sorrel soup as starters. Everyone smiled and licked their chops before and after.

Rissa was kind enough to share with us a tasting of the softshell crab. Which we all loved. Definitely going to be a conscious selection next time I'm in.

Entrees were of the meat variety, as there were no scallops on the menu. (BTW, there was also no Tom Power in the kitchen. He's got a GREAT supporting staff.) Wagyu striploin for me. Delicious, but I think I preferred my wife's lamb sirloin in red wine sauce with the side of goat cheese ravioli. But I had had the lamb sirloin at Firefly the night before. I will no longer hesitate to have the same meal twice at two different restaurants.

Father in law had the beef cheeks. Tender Tender Tender. And osso buco style as noted by someone earlier in this thread. Great stuff. Washed it all down with a bottle of Tikal Malbec, which after a couple of trips to eat and drink my way through Argentina, I never encountered.

We shared a couple of desserts. (I gotta stop waiting so long to post. I can't remember what we had!) But I know there was nothing on the plate when we left. They were washed down with the Framboise Eau de Vie. Keep away from open flame!

Really good meal. As we walked out, we asked Rissa to put us down again for another dinner when father in law is in town again for Father's Day.

Just kidding. Same menu?

As laniloa said, dining solo is not a problem. I am sure a DR.com HH will take place here in the near future, perhaps even this Friday, so you could make the trip then and then tell your friends what they missed.

Edited by mdt

Dropped into Corduroy on a busy Wednesday night and found a couple of seats at the bar. Started off with a nice glass of Margaux while chatting and checking out the menu.

We had the spring rolls to start and entrees were the beef cheeks and scallops. Enough as been said about the beef cheeks (absolutely wonderful) and spring rolls, but I want to finally chime in on the scallops, being that I survived. tongue.gif

After the unintential ingestion of scallops in one lobster burger with no adverse reaction I decided it was time to take the plunge and try what mktye calls the perfect protein. Erring on the side of caution, I had a portion of my friend's meal as my main was the cheeks. Wow! They were wonderfully sweet and delicate with just the hint of ocean, pan seared and served with morels and a potato puree. I cannot wait to return and have an entire entree for myself.

We also got to sample a vidalia onion soup that, as the rest of his soups, was delicious.

As a side we got to witness a détente of sorts, but that is a story for another time.

mdt is being polite and leaving the story to be told by the participants of the detente. ;)

It should also be noted that I ate my first soft shell crab last night. Thanks to Jacques for his gentle encouragement.

Its in very poor taste to leave us hanging like that!

:lol:

I too, took my maiden voyage with softshell crabs last yesterday evening, thanks to the good graces of Chef Power. I told Jenny that we had to eat them otherwise it would be rude to refuse the gesture from the chef (I shamed her into eating at least a bite or two).

Since this was my first experience with softwhells, I can't offer any views on how the ones at Corduroy are different from others. All I know is these had none of the ickyness that I expected. They were light and sweet with the shells providing just a hint of crunch. I believe that they had been lightly deep fried, they had not been sauteed. The presentation was a work of art with the legs and claws verticle and the body sitting ina nice pool of sauce. There was some kind of frizzy, lightly crunchy stuff that accompanied it. Not wanting any to go to waste, I finished off Jenny's leftover.

edited to add: Why am I suddenly getting so many PMs?

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

The presentation was a work of art with the legs and claws vertical and the body sitting in a nice pool of sauce. There was some kind of frizzy, lightly crunchy stuff that accompanied it.

And that was just Jenny! How was the crab? laugh.gif

I'm going to go to Hell for this...

Dinner last night. Wow.

More details later, but a big big thank you to Chef Power and Ferhat for a lovely evening. We could not recall the last time we had 3 hours to spend on a leisurely dinner. What a treat. I envy those of you that have the time (and money!) to dine like that more than once a year. :lol:

Our menu and wine selections (thanks Ferhat):

Crispy softshell crab with ver jus Delicious, crispy airy crunchy crab goodness.

Vidalia Onion Soubise One of the best soups I have ever tasted - no exaggaration. It was that good. I had to restrain myself from licking my bowl.

-Sancerre, Roger Champault `les Pierris` 02 , Sauvignon Blanc

Seared Sea Scallop with Morel Mushroom and Chardonnay sauce I dream about Chef Powers scallops.

Roast Baby Chicken with Arugula and Shallots Delicious, but the only dish that seemed a little unbalanced following the perfection of the scallops.

-Mersault , Domaine Joseph Matrot,les Chevalieres 02 , Chardonnay Excellent with the scallops, a little overwhelmed by the chicken.

Peppered Rare Tuna with Sushi Rice and Hijiki

Sunnyside Farms Beef Striploin with Turnip Gratin Lots has been said about the steak here so no need for me to add to it. I could have eaten an entire dish of the gratin.

-Willakenzie Estate, Oregon 02 , Pinot Noir

Epoisses , fresh goat cheese, Pont L`eveque, Petit Basque Very good with the Breadline bread they are now serving. The Epoisses was perfect and we mopped up every last molecule.

Chocolate Tart with Caramelized Banana Extraordinary flavor. I asked Chef Power how it's made and I wish I had written it down. Essence of chocolate, bitter but not overwhelmingly so. The brought Scott's out with a candle in it and "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate on the plate. He was surprised. :lol:

So there it is - everything was perfectly timed, and as Scott said, he couldn't think of anything that could have made our service better than it was. We had one regret, and it was our fault, that we hadn't asked for a salad course.