Bold Bite, Hamburgers and Half-Smokes, No Longer Hot Dogs, in Union Station

On 1/19/2011 at 8:23 PM, 'Pool Boy said:

The Ben & Jerry's closed. I never went there, but it's gone.

There's a sign in the window of the old Ben & Jerry's saying the place is leased. 'Bold Bites' is the name of the place I think. No idea when it'll open.

We go often. The service can be disorganized somethimes but it is always helpful and freindly. The topping are excelent and the dogs and sausages are good. I would like to see more personailty in the sausages and a bigger selection.

I like this place. I've been 4 times and have had a different dog/sausage each time. They've all been tasty, but I have to say that I'm surprised most have been boiled (at least once it was boiled and then fried on the griddle) and none have had any snap to their skin, which I kinda expected in a small gourmet dog operation. Though the hot dogs/sausages have been good, the fries are truly great. They're almost the perfect thickness and doneness for me. A meal can be close to $10 per person (or more) so that's somewhat surprising each time I go b/c I think of hot dogs and sausages to be much cheaper than burgers--which they are if you consider that the Burger Joint basic burger starts at $7.99 before you add a drink or fries. I'd recommend people try it for the fries alone.

Pax,

Brian

I've been to Bold Bite a few times recently, getting a burger and fries every time (I know...just not a big hot dog guy).  Solid burger every time.  Fries have on occassion been excellent - hot, crisp but not burnt, true potato flavor.  Most recently fries were way over salted, but your mileage may vary there.

I think their hot dogs are fine, but they only seem to do all beef dogs, and I prefer a healthy dose of pork in my dogs. I wish they would adapt and experiment on that front! That said, I generally have veered instead in the direction of their sausages, which are always good, often very good, and sometimes amazing. If they evolved in to a Hot Doug's (of Chicago) kind of place I think I would swoon.

So it's been a while since I have been here. Staff is different than I remember but possibly because they have opened a second location in Union Station (see address below), something I discovered by going to their website to get their number to call to make sure they were open due to all of the construction around their restaurant (two big apartment buildings are under construction and the street is a mess).

They seem to offer more things now -- regular (all beef) dogs, half smokes (yay!), salad, burgers (supposed to be cooked to order - have not had one yet), fries and even breakfast items.  The good news is that the half smokes (and chili) are good. Nice buns, too. The half smokes are split and then grilled giving extra flavor. Prefer my encased meats with some pork in them, so all beef dogs are not my go to item so can't guide you there. Fries are fine and potatoey, but they sog too quickly if you do carry out. Their aioli is great though.

They do have specials, but not posted near the order counter, it is next to the soft drinks dispenser, so I missed that they had a special sausage today (something Thai themed). Sausages used to be  my go to items since they changed them up frequently and they were great. They used to make up almost half of the menu and they no longer have any 'regular' menu items that are sausage, but the burgers and half smokes have taken up residence instead. Which is not a bad thing.

I'd love to see them morph in to a Hot Doug's (in Chicago) kind of place, especially since he is closing down in October (nooooooooooooooooo!) to do really interesting stuff with dogs and sausages, but I'll take Bold Bite as a good lunch option for now near my office.

Bold Bite Union Station
50 Massachusetts Ave. (Lower level food court at UNION STATION)
Washington DC 20002 202-682-2653

• Like 2

Sauerkraut is available at Bold Bite for sure! I need to try various combinations to see what I like best - I went with a DC 'Classic' halfsmoke - onions, spicy mustard and chili.

=======================================

I am gobsmacked about Hot Doug's. Only was ever able to make it once but man, what a great experience. The below pictures are from Hot Doug's from a couple of years ago. It is not close to a rail line, but close enough if you are willing to walk a bit and then stand in line for 40 minutes. If you have a chance to get there and try what they do before they close - DO IT! Below are some Hot Doug's pictures.

Chilidog and lamb sausage.....and duck sausage with foie and I think a currywurst variation

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32793090@N00/6132976558/in/photolist-akX7g9-akX7dq-akX78h-akX76G-akUicc-akUi1r

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32793090@N00/6132976558/in/photolist-akX7g9-akX7dq-akX78h-akX76G-akUicc-akUi1r

ANd I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the extra image. SORRY!

post-384-0-46948300-1399770531_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-80651500-1399772943_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-83557900-1399772943_thumb.jpg

I'm a little surprised, it seemed popular in the neighborhood, but maybe less traffic than when there was a Smashburger there.

Robert Dyer is reporting that a Popeye's will take over.  That's interesting, and potentially dangerous for me.

• Haha 2