The Bridge (Formerly Iron Bridge Wine Company), Wine-Centric American Tavern in Warrenton - Closed

On 7/6/2005 at 4:50 PM, cjsadler said:

Never even heard of this place until Sunday night, when I was taken there. It's a combination wine store/bar/restaurant in Columbia off Rt. 108 in a pleasant location across from a huge field. They have a menu of small plates items (with a few almost entree size things too), most of which we tried were very good. However, the main draw is, of course, the wine. Glass prices were about on par for this area, but the real deal is the bottles. Any bottle from the wall shelves around the restaurant (this is basically the entire wine list) are only $5 corkage. Prices and selection are pretty nice. After sampling a couple of glasses, we had a Torbreck 'Woodcutter's' Shiraz ($22 + $5= $27) at our server's suggestion that I thought was quite good. A couple of highlights from the small plates we tried were a pancetta and asparagus tart and a marlin steak with a chipotle-corn-cream sauce.

Definitely something to consider if you're out that way for Merriweather-- or even worth a trip if you aren't.

You may also want to check out IronBridge Wine Company in Warrenton. The building itself is awesome, go downstairs and see what they have done with the basement! The food has been consistant each time I have visited. The menu seems to change weekly so that is a good sign! (Hey we welcome any kind of change in these here parts!) The wine selection and prices can't be beat. The main floor can get busy on Saturday nights though, so upstairs, the windows, or the basement is where I would sit! Good luck!

Creme brulee is one of those dishes that I generally never order out anymore since it is so easy to make and experiment with, but good to hear they have a good rendition!

By the way, I do have to say, the service was quite good when we were there, which is great. So often these days, service is an afterthought and we had some good folks looking after us.

I've never been to the Columbia original but they have an excellent restaurant in a 100+ year old building with great character in old town Warrenton that is a real favorite of ours'.  Not sure how the Warrenton location came about but it is a wonderful destination for anyone travelling nearby.

• Like 2

I've never been to the Columbia original but they have an excellent restaurant in a 100+ year old building with great character in old town Warrenton that is a real favorite of ours'.  Not sure how the Warrenton location came about but it is a wonderful destination for anyone travelling nearby.  

Joe--unless I am mistaken they are now disassociated from the Columbia restaurant and operating as "The Bridge Restaurant", but still in that lovely building at 29 Main St in old town Warrenton.  I've actually heard that things have improved since the split or buyout or whatever it was. (I think maybe the management team bought the place from their erstwhile employers, or something like that...i.e. there's some continuity between former and current)

Joe--unless I am mistaken they are now disassociated from the Columbia restaurant and operating as "The Bridge Restaurant", but still in that lovely building at 29 Main St in old town Warrenton.  I've actually heard that things have improved since the split or buyout or whatever it was. (I think maybe the management team bought the place from their erstwhile employers, or something like that...i.e. there's some continuity between former and current)

The purchase happened on October 8, 2012, and the details are here. The last time I tried to come here was on a Saturday without a reservation, and there was an exceedingly long wait. There aren't many good alternatives, so consider this ample warning. :)

The purchase happened on October 8, 2012, and the details are here. The last time I tried to come here was on a Saturday without a reservation, and there was an exceedingly long wait. There aren't many good alternatives, so consider this ample warning. :)

Actually, Don, there is a good alternative:  Claire's At the Depot.  But I really like both of them a lot.    Each has a great deal of character, each is excellent in its own way.  "Old Town" Warrenton has come a long way.  Our Valentine's Day 2014 dinner was at Claire's (which we drove by and begged our way into for an early dinner...) but it could have just as easily been at the Bridge.  Warrenton and for those of us who pass through are lucky to have both.  Serious comment;  anyone stumbling their way through Va wine country who are looking for a place to have dinner will do well to knock on either door in Warrenton.

Up to several years ago we really liked Foti's in Culpeper but on our last visit, a year or so ago, it had changed and become more of a "generic' community restaurant, less of a destination.  Same ambience but we left without the excitement we'd had in years past from dinner.  Both Claire's and the Bridge make up for this.  We also like Robert Duvall's place in the Plain's and Market Table Bistro in Lovettsville.  FWIW last year we had dinner at the Ashby Inn four times.  This year, with Tarver, Neil and Kevin gone we will not visit it once.  Coming full circle the Bavarian Chef is an amazingly good old school German chalet on route 29 near Madison.  It is impossible that a German restaurant in Madison, VA could be this good but it is.  And it's survived for 40 years.

We've spent the last several years heavily exploring this part of VA and finding a place for dinner has become a priority approaching the priority of the wineries we've visited.  There ARE some good alternatives.

And, for those travelling west on I 64 from Afton/Crozet I would seriously suggest The Shack in Staunton for what may be the best of all.  Certainly, the most adventurous of all.  In Charlottesville there is a Spanish Tapas restaurant, Mas Tapas in Belmont, that is actually quite good and has a great deal of character.  (Yes, I know I am using the word character again but this is important to me-on trips like this I want to have dinner somewhere that is "neat," that is memorable for the room as well as the food and the wine.  Anyone can go to the C & O in C'ville.  I want to go to a hot, new place of character.

Charlottesville, Afton/Crozet and Staunton are major destinations in an off their own.  Factor in wine, scenery and breathtaking views, all of this must be underscored with a memorable dinner...with character.  Staunton's The Shack, Charlottesville's Mas Tapas, Warrenton's Claire's at the Depot and the Bridge, Market Table Bistro in Lovettesville, One Block West in Winchester and the Wine Kitchen in Old Town Leesburg along with the bar of Tuscarora Mill ("Tuskie's") all fill this bill.

And the Bavarian Chef for non believers...

Last:  we have not been but have heard the Inn at Vacluse Springs is, indeed, excellent.    Of course there is also L'auberge Provencial in White Post but our only visit was a disappointment.  Still, it's been ten years and we need to return.  And, for all of this Hunter's Head Tavern is reliable and the pub at the BlackThorne Inn stands alone as the single most romantic bar in the greater D. C. area.  NOte that I am not talking about having dinner there; rather, I am talking about stopping after sunset and walking into the pub (literally, literally! once owned by George Washington) and having an Irish Whiskey or a 12 year old Scotch or a something to help the edge that three working fire places stoke in the incredible room which may hold something of a record for marriage proposals.

...or divorce celebrations.

Actually, Don, there is a good alternative:  Claire's At the Depot.  But I really like both of them a lot.    Each has a great deal of character, each is excellent in its own way.  "Old Town" Warrenton has come a long way.  Our Valentine's Day 2014 dinner was at Claire's (which we drove by and begged our way into for an early dinner...) but it could have just as easily been at the Bridge.  Warrenton and for those of us who pass through are lucky to have both.  Serious comment;  anyone stumbling their way through Va wine country who are looking for a place to have dinner will do well to knock on either door in Warrenton.

Claire's is why I said "many" and not "any."  :)

Claire's is why I said "many" and not "any."  :)

Sorry.   My post ended up as a ramble of places that we like in Va wine country.  I must add that Veritas Farmhouse has an extremely interesting dinner several nights a week for its guests that, while we have not had it, aspires to be a major countryside destination.

I think Warrenton proper could support at least 1 more higher-end place.  And maybe 3-4 more, in the county.  Surely someday somebody with the talent to make it happen will agree and the right building will be available.

Saw a "biz-buy-sell" ad for a place that sounded like one of the few other places not mentioned in this thread where at least decent food may be found. Won't post speculation since not 100% positive. But it would suck if they were gone.