The Wine Kitchen, Wine Bar with Small Plates in Leesburg, Frederick, and Purcelville

Posting back...

I went with a friend and we each had the bubbly flight (tastings of three) for 12 dollars each. I didn't write down the three although one was Anime Prosecco, one was Cava and one was Champagne.

We each had the special (carrot ginger soup and portobello/chevre panini - 8 each) and split the small charcuterie board (10). The food was quite good. I didn't write down the other food offerings (drat) but they were on the eclectic side I'd say. I do remember pork cheeks, and pork belly, were on the menu.

With tax and tip it came to 64 dollars (we tipped well) - 32 each is probably a bit high for lunch especially when you consider we split the app and each had the special for lunch.

I'd go back again.

ps. There are roughly 30 wines by the glass, several flights of various types (fun! especially with the food offerings) and if you buy a bottle to take off premises the price is 10 dollars less than as quoted in the menu.

Went to the Wine Kitchen with a friend for lunch last week. Very comfortable spot with a very friendly and helpful staff.

We had the quail and waffles for an app.... excellent and perfectly prepared. Had the roast chicken special which was moist and delicious. Wine was a shared bottle of Northstar Merlot which was a nice choice for $42.

I think our bill for two was about $85 for both of us including tip and tax. Well worth it!!

Sunday Jenna and I were out in Leesburg for lunch and we went to what is now one of our favorite stops, The Wine Kitchen. For those who have not been it's a nice cozy spot. We spoke at length with the owner Michael about Loudon County, sausages, places to eat in Leesburg. Really friendly and helpful service. There was a great blues band playing in the place as well that day, which really made lunch quite enjoyable. Jenna had the Croque monsieur, which was awesome. I had the house sausage hash, which was also very good. Overall a really great lunch to get our day started in Loudoun County!

Sunday Jenna and I were out in Leesburg for lunch and we went to what is now one of our favorite stops, The Wine Kitchen. For those who have not been it's a nice cozy spot. We spoke at length with the owner Michael about Loudon County, sausages, places to eat in Leesburg. Really friendly and helpful service. There was a great blues band playing in the place as well that day, which really made lunch quite enjoyable. Jenna had the Croque monsieur, which was awesome. I had the house sausage hash, which was also very good. Overall a really great lunch to get our day started in Loudoun County!

Theo, thanks for the kind words, it was great to see you again the other day when you stopped by to avoid the traffic on your way home. Look forward to your next visit and say hi to Jenna. By the way - are you two interested in our Route 66/across Americana wine dinner on Monday, July 19th? I've got a couple of spots open if you're interested?

Great news for folks in Frederick, Md.... The Wine Kitchen is opening a new spot there! They have promised good simple food like the original, but at the same time the new spot will be different enough that folks will want to make the trip from Leesburg to check it out. They are targeting Fall from the sounds of it. I adore the Wine Kitchen and the folks that run it so I am really looking forward to checking it out when it comes up.

We were out in Loudon County today and, looking for a good place for brunch, I started looking online a couple of days ago. Odd here on DR.com that the chef seems to have created a topic on the jobs board and Don has it in the dining guide but without any link so I concluded there may not be an actual thread for this yet? After checking all the other sites and boards, it seemed to lead me to The Wine Kitchen as our best bet with spots like Tuscarora Mill and Lightfoot having very variable feedback with higher risk (higher prices).

I'd read that it was small, good and didn't take reservations. So, concluded our best bet would be to time our arrival for open (11:30) since there were three of us and we knew it'd be too warm out to stand on line too long.

We arrived at around 11:15 and there was no line. A nice group behind us told us that The Wine Kitchen (WK) was indeed the best Leesburg has to offer. Peaking in the window pre-open, we observed a very nice, farm-to-tablish kind of decor and a musician setting up toward the front. Well alrighty, we thought, this could be promising. And then, right at 11:30, the door opened and we were welcomed in.

HEADLINE

This may well be the best in Leesburg but, if it is, that doesn't speak so well for the state of Leesburg restaurants. Decent food but with some real inconsistencies and a few surprising compromises. All said, we liked it enough that we'd go back next time in the area...unless we hear about something else opening up that sounds more promising. Sigh.

VENUE

The space has a simple, honest, farmish,feel with lots of wood (floor, walls, bar) and art typical of such a spot. Right on King St in "downtown" Leesburg and with nice large sidewalk windows that let plenty of light inside. Indeed it is on the small side with only about 7 tables and with two of those for two people. The bar seats maybe ten. The venue reminded me of the Grocery in Staunton for those that have been there. But the food at Grocery is better. As we were seated, I was also reminded of a Flint Hill spot I used to love called "Four & Twenty Blackbirds" that closed down several years ago. A chalkboard at WK advertises the mostly-local cheeses and meats (charcuterie) on offer. The obligatory framed media toward the back is mostly Northern Virginia Magazine but also one WashPost review (not TS). My research and first impressions all pointed toward a place that takes local sourcing and cooking seriously.

FOOD

The dishes we ordered were mostly all paradoxical. Something good with something off. Something interesting with something odd. For example, one of the two specials the waiter explained was a french toast. I asked what kind of syrup was being served with it thinking they might be doing something original with fruit or caramel if not maple. I was really suprised and, for the first time, a bit concerned about what was to follow, when the waiter reported (after checking in the kitchen) that it was "corn syrup." Huh? In other words, Aunt Jemima style artificial maple. Really found that jarring given the setup of the place. Overall though, considering everything we had, I guess good enough to return. After all, this was just brunch so not a full and fair test. And, though I haven't tried Tuscarora or Lightfoot, I have a gut feel WK may be better...or at least better value. We had:

- Seared Ahi Tuna / spice rubbed seared tuna loin / wakame salad / pickled ginger / asian dipping sauce ($13): OK at best. It came out a bit more than seared which, when combined with the spice rub, drowned out the tuna. There was nothing wrong with the tuna per se but it didn't have the fattiness, richness or even deep color that better tuna tartare type dishes have. The "wakame" was also fine but basically the same seaweed salad on other menus (Kotobuki on MacArthur has a dead ringer for it).

- Bacon Wrapped Pork Chop / crispy lardon and potato cake / roast baby zucchini / peach bbq sauce ($17): both my +1 and MIL got this. As much as I love pork, the bacon on pork combo was a bit much for me early in the day. But, having tried it, I think it was okay and just off a bit on execution. The chop seemed like a decent quality cut (though the source wasn't identified on the menu) but it was overcooked. Maybe a bit too much going on on the plate.

- Juevos Rancheros ($10): I ordered this off-menu special. LIke everything else, it was okay but better as described than on the plate. A simple fried egg on top of bacon and then either an unremarkable piece of bread or (more likely) a potato cake. A special ranchero sauce with tomato, red onion, avocado and maybe cilantro was off to the side in a small dollop. While I finished it, it lacked coherence. Maybe the sauce could unify it more but the way it was served (cold and in very small quantity), it felt more like a friend egg with some ordinary bacon, some kind of starch I didn't eat and a decent sauce. All kinds of opportunity to improve this I think. Then again, it was only ten bucks.

- Beverages included coffee (Lavazza pods), a green tea bag of unknown source and a glass of OJ (which wasn't fresh squeezed and tasted as if from concentrate).

SERVICE

Friendly but overall just okay like the food. Our waiter didn't know enough about the food and missed some basic things like silverware (didn't get a spoon with the tea and, despite using a fork and knife from the next table to stir or even eat, this didn't get his attention). The tea was served without a pot or any extra water, about 2/3 full in a cup.

VALUE

Also just okay and a good example of a place that isn't too expensive (we came in at $68 for three people) but just an okay value given what we had.

For some reason, I got it into my head that I had to take advantage of Labor Day weekend sales, but not by myself. So, I rallied a friend to join me in the fiasco of outlet shopping that ended up in madness and exhaustion by Sunday's closing at 8pm. Too exhausted to go back into town for dinner, I remembered chaofun's post about this place and headed here per Ms. Automated GPS voice (some day it might Yoda's once I download it, but I digress).

My first thought upon entering was "what a perfect place for a first date or date night!" It was charming and rustic. The bathroom was equally charming, with its design simple and cute.

It was busy Sunday night around 8:15pm, which is great-we ended up grabbing a seat at the bar and that was absolutely perfect. The bar fits a basic description of what one seeks when dining at the bar: sufficient counter space, a place to hook your purse or bag, and not awkward seats.

Since we only split an heirloom caprese salad, cheese plate and dessert, there is much to say about the food other than it was clean, refreshing, recharging and comforting. We both loved the creaminess of one of the cheeses (she believes it was cheddar, but I can't remember). I think I will miss tomato season for the first time ever.

I do have to thank Michael from the behind the bar who put up with my crazy descriptions about what I was looking for in a wine and what my friend was looking for. If you had to watch me on tv with the mute button on, you would think I was crazy with the air graphs I was drawing and the hand gestures, but no, Michael was very patient and kind. Ryan, the other person in and out of the bar, was equally nice and funny.

I love how they have tastes. I have decided tastings/mini pours are wonderful for the Asian drinkers.

I also love how their Fortessa tableware -- we were served water in oblong-topped glasses -- very unique.

It sounds like I had a better experience than darkstar965's description, since mine was a sigh of contentment rather than meh, but I didn't have mains like he did. So, for now, this is a must return place, if not for the wine and atmosphere.

I am terribly biased about this place so take what I say with a grain of salt. Now that I live out here I go a little more frequently; but it remains as good as ever. In my humble opinion its always good to great. Especially with how affordably priced it is. I walked out of there with a meal, a bottle of wine, and a glass of wine for $60 with a good tip. They source locally. I have nothing but good things to say about this place. Only Radius Pizza can meet up with the price to quality and local sourcing in my mind (granted I am horribly biased about Radius as well).

One tip for the anyone who can, sit at the bar. I prefer that experience but I can't as often anymore with the 5 month old we bring in with us.

I have not yet been to the Frederick one, but the reviews are good. Looking forward to dragging the family up route 15 and trying it out.

From one of the WK staff - we will be opening in Purcellville in July and it is going to be gorgeous as we have restored the old Cole Family Farm House and managed (with fervent ardor and determination) to preserve quite a bit of the original look. Still using all our neighbors for produce, proteins and wines, this is going to be a fun endeavor and we look forward to our guests joining us for the second half of 2013 and long into the future. We are now looking to hire a few more key employees including a Sous Chef, assistant General Manager and of course, servers, and line cooks.

Contact - thewkleesburg@thewinekitchen.com if you or someone you know would like to join us.

I love the Wine Kitchen. From finding Owen Roe Ex Umbris Syrah by the glass to very good cooking at an excellent price point we often stop at the Leesburg location when coming back from Loudoun wineries. I should also mention that the room has a great deal of "character" too.

Now, if a Wine Kitchen could open in Old Town Herndon or Vienna...

Absolutely love their restaurant in Leesburg. Room has character, kitchen has talent and the wine list is imaginative. Has anyone been to this which recently opened?

Perhaps a stop worth remembering for a visit to nearby VA wine country?

We went tonight.  The Purcellville restaurant is an entirely different experience from the Leesburg restaurant which has a great deal of character.   It did not feel like a restored building, it felt new.  Reading through this thread now, it is truly surprising to read that this was once an older farmhouse.

As noted in the posts above I have been a huge fan of the Wine Kitchen.  Specifically, the Old Town Leesburg original.

The flatbread was quite good, though.

We went to the outlets with my family on Sunday.  After shopping we popped over to the Wine Kitchen for dinner, what a great experience.  We had a bottle of Pollack, I think Cabernet Sauvignon.  I also have to say they had a nice selection of non-alcoholic options.  We had the andouille popovers to start, those were really good.  The cheddar biscuit puffs were too dense and crispy, not our favorite.  I also had the beet salad, which was ok, but it needs a more flavorful dressing with more acid.  As it was not worth getting over the side salad.

For entrees I had the duck with wild rice and greens, this was excellent and I really liked it.  I thought the duck was a bit over medium-rare, but not by a whole lot.  I also had part of the Flounder with polenta, which I liked.  My brother's bluefish was my favorite dish that I tried though.  Hubby liked his steak and SIL had the pot au feu which smelled good.  It was nice to have a very solid and tasty meal so close to the outlets.  I thought they did a really nice job of incorporating seasonal vegetable while not being over the top with it.

Heading to Frederick for dinner with friends in two weeks.  We head up there a couple times a year to meet with another couple as it's pretty much half way from both our houses.  We usually eat at Family Meal, but are looking to try something different.  Still want that casual vibe and mid-priced menu.  Right now, Tasting Room and Monocacy Crossing are both on the target list.  Can anyone make any additional recommendations or suggest which of these might be more appealing?

We were up there for our annual pumpkin picking with the kids, only this time we were with another family so couldn't do our usual Volt brunch. Instead did The Wine Kitchen. For lunch they have an incredibly good deal of $23 for three courses, but don't know if they have anything comparable for dinner. Food was generally very good. Only disappointment was the fish which was a little dry and too many components. My shrimp and grits was very nice as was my wife's cheeseburger. I had a half dozen oysters for appetizer and wife got mussels which was a very generous portion. Also got the charcuterie plate for the kids. Would have been nice to get some more bread or something for spreading since it was heavy on pate and rillette. Desserts were good, but nothing particularly memorable. Not the greatest meal, but for $23, couldn't be beaten.

• Like 1

It can be beaten.  I am a huge fan of the Wine Kitchen in Leesburg but not in Purcellville.  I have not been to their Frederick location.  However, I sincerely believe the best eastern Mediterranean restaurant in the greater Washington, D. C. area is in Frederick: Ayse Meze Lounge (website). This is TurkishLebanese/Greek, etc.  At this point we have eaten through much of the menu including a visit with a Lebanese friend who is a serious cook in her own home and cannot rave about this enough.  With all due respect to anywhere else even in downtown D. C. or Tysons Corner the Frederick restaurant is the best.  Perhaps, remarkably, the best.

There was a time when we would deadhead from Reston to Frederick for Volt.  Now our deadhead is for Ayse Mezze Lounge.  For the Wine Kitchen we will not return to Purcellville.  For Leesburg we are almost regulars-they are that different.

• Like 1