Carribean Feast, Jamaican in North Rockville - Closed

After some misadventures including a lack of money and the fact that it is NOT actually south of the Audi/Porsche dealership, I finally made it into Carribean Feast today. As described, it is a hole in the wall with rather undistinct signage. Look for the little strip on the east side of the Pike between Pho 75 and Cameron Seafood Market just North of downtown Rockville. It's interior can best be described as high school cafeteria gone Jamaican. But then again, who really cares about decor when all you want is some good cheap lunch grub.

I got the jerk pork (spicy) with fried plantains as a side. I got about a pound of pork butt and slices of at least three plantains. The pork was tender and shredded easily -- perfectly cooked. The heat could best be compared to a fully laden 18 wheeler -- slow to get moving, but once it hits full speed, watch out!! The plantains were perfectly cooked and provided some needed cooling action.

At $7.50 (plus tax) for the lunch special, I'll be happy to add this to my regular lunch rotation. Now excuse me while I go suck on a sugar cube to stop my lips from tingling.

After some misadventures including a lack of money and the fact that it is NOT actually south of the Audi/Porsche dealership, I finally made it into Carribean Feast today. As described, it is a hole in the wall with rather undistinct signage. Look for the little strip on the east side of the Pike between Pho 75 and Cameron Seafood Market just North of downtown Rockville. It's interior can best be described as high school cafeteria gone Jamaican. But then again, who really cares about decor when all you want is some good cheap lunch grub.

I got the jerk pork (spicy) with fried plantains as a side. I got about a pound of pork butt and slices of at least three plantains. The pork was tender and shredded easily -- perfectly cooked. The heat could best be compared to a fully laden 18 wheeler -- slow to get moving, but once it hits full speed, watch out!! The plantains were perfectly cooked and provided some needed cooling action.

At $7.50 (plus tax) for the lunch special, I'll be happy to add this to my regular lunch rotation. Now excuse me while I go suck on a sugar cube to stop my lips from tingling.

After the Rockville Pike Lunch Club's experience of overdone pork a month or so ago, today's Jerk Pork was superb.

Having tried most of the menu by this point, everything is pretty good, but stick with the jerk and the patties and you can't (usually) go wrong (beyond the occasional inconsistency of the kitchen).

"...and the fact that it is NOT actually south of the Audi/Porsche dealership."

It would have been helpful if they had instead, or also, told you that they moved that dealership about a year ago. (Now I suppose one of those 15 smiley face thingies should go here, but I don't know how to do that.)

Picked up some curry goat, rice, and collards today for lunch, along with a couple of patties for the kids. The goat was outstanding, meaty and rich with plenty of flavor. Rice and peas was standard, collards were excellent once given a dash of crystal hot sauce. And, they carry my favorite ginger beer. The kids loved the patties.

Looking for a good carribean/jamaican place. Good rice and peas, jerk, and oxtails. Am willing to drive to MD.

Thanks in advance.

Soup

Maryland option: Caribbean Feast, on Rockville Pike just north of downtown R'ville. Good oxtail and goat, great jerk chicken, chicken curry and jerk pork. Ackee and saltfish available some of the time, but I forget exactly when...I wasn't a big fan.

Thanks for the recs. Went to carribean feast yesterday evening. The place was really good. Definitely deserves a return trip. We had jerk chicken with sweet potatos and spinich and oxtail with collards and rice and peas. All were good. The jerk chicken was really good and sweet potato was excellent.

Soup

Just had a fantastic lunch at Caribbean Feast. With the demise (quality-wise) of Antonio's (nee Negril) in Gaithersburg, this is the best option for a good West Indian meal along I-270. The chicken curry I had was plentiful, served up with a side of rice and beans, plus a pop, for $6.50. While the curry was a little mild, it wasn't anything that a few generous shakes of the scotch bonnet pepper sauce couldn't cure. And they have saltfish/ackee loaf!! One of my absolute favorites (though I didn't have the stomach space to try it). This definitely takes a very high spot on my lunch rotation.

I also picked up a bottle of their homemade jerk sauce for under $4. That'll be nice for the chicken wings I'm grilling tomorrow night.

Just an update: turbogrrl pointed out to me that Caribbean Feast has now become "Island Pride" following a change of ownership. Howard sold the restaurant several months ago to another local Jamaican family, which operated under the former name for the first month or two. Expect only minor changes to the menu for the time being.

Scuttlebutt is that Howard will continue to produce his sauces and sorrel drink. Stay tuned.