Fish Sauce

Tweaked

Anyone have a preference on their fish sauce?

The bottle that I have had in the fridge for about 3 years is almost out so time to restock for the next 3 years!

In the past I have bought Tiparos brand, which is readily available at Whole Foods and Yes Gourmet.

Is there a better product on the market or is Tiparos a decent brand for general fish sauce use?

I like Golden boy although I call it Laughing Baby brand. It is free from HVP which Three Crabs has started adding recently. But both of those brands seem mellower to me than Tipparos or Squid. Tipparos seems to be the saltiest of the group in perception {not talking about sodium levels}.

There is an Italian product called Colatura which is just a very expensive version of fish sauce. I would skip it in favor of one of these. But its clear that the Romans used fish sauce: Garaum was made from fermented anchovies. Probably acquired in trade It was a standard product in the 4th century Roman kitchen.

I just found this blog about Red Boat Fish Sauce. I've never heard of it, but I'll have to add it to my list that I'm gathering from this thread.

The sauce makers have a website as well.

I ordered some of this from the website, in a fit of self-indulgence. Thanks for the tip. It arrived today, which was quick. I tried a taste-comparison test against the bottle of Tiparos in my refrigerator. The Red Boat won handily, but of course I could be subconsciously rationalizing my purchase. It tasted deeper, and less intensely salty, and just better. Again, maybe I am a rube, or a poseur, or just highly suggestible. But it was really good.

I ordered some of this from the website, in a fit of self-indulgence. Thanks for the tip. It arrived today, which was quick. I tried a taste-comparison test against the bottle of Tiparos in my refrigerator. The Red Boat won handily, but of course I could be subconsciously rationalizing my purchase. It tasted deeper, and less intensely salty, and just better. Again, maybe I am a rube, or a poseur, or just highly suggestible. But it was really good.

This claims to be real "Phu Quoc" fish sauce from Vietnam. For a long time real Vietnamese top grade fish sauce was not available in the US. All Vietnamese fish sauce available in the states was manufactured in Thailand. Here's a good article on Phu Quoc fish sauce from last year. If Red boat is real Phu Quoc it may be worth the $. Use it for salads and making nouc cham (dipping sauce). Use the cheaper stuff for cooking.

Hey, I just noticed Dean Gold is quoted in this article.

There is an episode of "Luke Nguyen's Vietnam"* which is focused on Phu Quoc and includes a brief, but interesting visit to Red Boat. Click to watch a segment of the episode that was linked from Red Boat's website.

(*I really like this show - it's beautiful to watch and his recipes always look delicious. His cooking on location and his delivery remind a bit of Jamie Oliver. The Phu Quoc episode airs again on the Cooking Channel on Dec. 1 at 11:30 am.)

I just found this blog about Red Boat Fish Sauce. I've never heard of it, but I'll have to add it to my list that I'm gathering from this thread.

The sauce makers have a website as well.

It appears not to be easy to find. I tried their "where to find it" locator on the website and put in "Atlanta" (where I have found probably dozens of brands of fish sauce in various Asian markets over the years). It returned the promised 5 nearest retail locations to me, 4 in NYC and one in Arizona.

It appears not to be easy to find. I tried their "where to find it" locator on the website and put in "Atlanta" (where I have found probably dozens of brands of fish sauce in various Asian markets over the years). It returned the promised 5 nearest retail locations to me, 4 in NYC and one in Arizona.

True, but the online purchasing is quick (took literally only two days to get mine) and shipping is not exorbitant.

In case anyone else is interested in this Red Boat fish sauce -

It is available at the grocery store in the Eden Center (the grocery store that is all the way at the far side, farthest from Wilson Blvd) - this afternoon it was sitting right at the checkout, where you would otherwise expect to find the Weekly World News or candy.

In case anyone else is interested in this Red Boat fish sauce -

It is available at the grocery store in the Eden Center (the grocery store that is all the way at the far side, farthest from Wilson Blvd) - this afternoon it was sitting right at the checkout, where you would otherwise expect to find the Weekly World News or candy.

Did you happen to notice the price?

Here's another blog post about Red Boat that I just happened across.

Plus, half the shopping center is "furthest distant from Wilson Blvd." since they run parallel - literally, 100 yards of stores. Any idea which one it is?

To my recollection, which could be wrong, there is only one grocery store on that far side of the shopping center. There is, or used to be, another grocery store on the near side. But I'm talking about the big, main, can't miss it grocery store on the far side.

Big thanks to thematt and others upthread who posted about RedBoat. I ordered some online and, as others reported, very smooth ordering and fulfillment processes. This is a magical ingredient IMHO useful in lots of different ways eastern and western. Loved the Australian video too. Very cool culture and history around this product and the island.

A 500 ML bottle is $10 via the website. PLUS, through Jan. 24, if you buy $100 of Red Boat stuff -- (that's a lotta sauce!) -- you get a free bottle of new 50°N Phamily (that's how it's spelled on the website!) Reserve (priced at $14.99 for 2 80 ML bottles on the site).

I just bought a bottle of Red Boat Fish Sauce 40*N for $6.99 for 8.45 ounces (250 ml) at the Yes! Gourmet on Columbia Road. The bottle doesn't say whether or not to keep it refridgerated after opening. Anybody know?

Their website says to refrigerate it, but, sheesh, that's a lot of salt to need it!

Thanks. I missed that. Some manufacturers say to refrigerate, but others (Tiparos) say not to.

No need could possibly exist to refrigerate fish sauce. Think of the climate where it comes from.

This is true; however, I don't cook Vietnamese every day, so this bottle is gonna last a whole lot longer than it would if I were Vietnamese. Another consideration for me is space. I have more room in the refrigerator door for this than in the cabinet. I have a dinky kitchen.

I have a bottle of fish sauce that has been open for about two years, that lives on the counter next to the hot stove. Went to add some to a batch of curry, and the lid was clearly pressurized when I opened it. Now I assume that fermented items are going to keep fermenting...but I'm still slightly skeeved. Also, the aroma is very reminiscent of Japanese gummy candy, somewhere between peach and lychee.

Anyone ever encounter fruit-scented fish sauce before?  :)

I have a bottle of fish sauce that has been open for about two years, that lives on the counter next to the hot stove. Went to add some to a batch of curry, and the lid was clearly pressurized when I opened it. Now I assume that fermented items are going to keep fermenting...but I'm still slightly skeeved. Also, the aroma is very reminiscent of Japanese gummy candy, somewhere between peach and lychee.

Anyone ever encounter fruit-scented fish sauce before?  :)

Uh no, sorry. Only ever had overwhelmingly fishy fish sauce.

I can get Red Boat at my Trader Joe's now! At some point I'll open it up and do a smackdown between it and our usual Three Crabs.

• Like 1

I must have missed the news that the FDA red listed Tiparos in May 2014 after the manufacturer, Tang Sang Hah Ltd., failed to respond to a warning letter after violations were found during an inspection.  They are still listed in the current relevant FDA Import Alert.  Frankly, it's hard to see the manufacturer choosing to alter their production methods to satisfy the FDA.  So long, Tiparos...I guess we'll have to make do with our remaining stash.

If you're not up for reading FDA CFSANese, here's a recap from an online sauce vendor.