Lowry's Crab Shack, Bay Blue Crabs, Fresh Northern Neck Seafood, and Fried Chicken in Hamilton

I've driven by Lowry's Crab Shack in Hamilton a couple times, but haven't stopped.

We stopped by Lowry's Crab Shack on Saturday and it is worth checking out if you are in the area. They have about 6 tables inside and quite a bit more outdoor seating. The fried shrimp basket was terrific, as the shrimp were flavorful and perfectly cooked. However, the crabcake had had a bit too much mayo in it. They have steamed crabs as well, which we will have to try next time.

I wanted to highlight one last place that I have visited fairly recently, and just for one thing (because I only tried one thing) Fried Chicken. Lowry's Crab Shack fried chicken is addictive. I actually heard about it through Yelp, while looking desperately for takeout on a day we were too beat to cook. It's crispy and tastes homemade which is a very very good thing. It seems to be heavily spiced with Old Bay which I like, but makes it salt forward. If you do order it they fry it to order (like Flavors in Falls Church) so call ahead, or be prepared to wait 30 or so minutes.

Besides that they strive to get local Northern Neck, Va seafood, and Chesapeake blue crabs. I def cannot complain about that, but I have yet to try it.

I wanted to highlight one last place that I have visited fairly recently, and just for one thing (because I only tried one thing) Fried Chicken. Lowry's Crab Shack fried chicken is addictive. I actually heard about it through Yelp, while looking desperately for takeout on a day we were too beat to cook. It tastes crispy and homemade which is a very very good thing. It seems to be heavily spiced with Old Bay which I like, but makes it salt forward. If you do order it they fry it to order (like Flavors in Falls Church) so call ahead, or be prepared to wait 30 or so minutes.

Besides that they strive to get local Northern Neck, Va seafood, and Chesapeake blue crabs. I def cannot complain about that, but I have yet to try it.

I went here once a couple years ago with Warren Rojas, and we had a delightful, extended lunch together. We shared a variety of items, and I can't remember what the standouts were (Warren, do you?), but I've been wanting to come back here. Comfortably initialized in Italic - this is a great place to while away a sunny afternoon at a picnic table outside.

I am always riding my motorcycle out that way every weekend and we stopped there a few weeks ago and had a great meal. 6 of us had a great table outside and pretty much shut it down on a Sunday night. Crab and chicken were very good and the setting is awesome....I expect to see Andy Griffith drive by :P I would def return and would love to be sitting there on a day like today. However, the best crab I've had in the area...and I mean I've been to every crab house within 60 miles...is Crossroads Pub in Dayton, MD......damn I want crab now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Methinks I shall take a personal day and ride out there ;)

Thanks for reminding me about that long and fabulously overindulgent afternoon, Don. (Good times.)

Had to consult my notes to confirm what all we devoured, but sure enough, the house made fried chicken was at the top of the list. Lightly breaded, terrifically juicy bird sticks out in my mind--as do the ginormous steamed oysters, savory crab balls, protein-rich New England clam chowder and butter-bathed wild salmon I put away on subsequent visits: http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/food-and-wine/food-and-wine-features/2011/10/24/just-beachy/

But what I most enjoyed, other than the impeccable company, was the sun-splashed patio. A truly unexpected oasis.

After pumpkin picking with my 5-year old at Great Country Farms, we stopped in Purcellville for lunch on Monday. I remembered having a nice meal at Lowry's 4 years ago. However, I was not in a seafood mood, did not know about their fried chicken, did not realize that Market Burger was closed on Mondays, and did not know that this place existed. Instead, we wound up at McDonald's. :huh: