Sourcing Uni and cheap Lobster

DoctorNo

If you promise never, ever to use the word "sourcing" as a verb again, I'll tell you.

Promise?

The Fresh Lobster Company.

They have them packed, as well, which is less fun but also less messy. Try them set individually on a Chinese soup spoon or in a shot glass, like this, as an amuse bouche.

TFLC also sell the world's greatest oysters, Wellfleets.

Can't say that their lobster prices look that good, though.

Not sure what you consider "cheap" for lobster, but H-Mart/Super H-Mart tends to have decent prices, usually under $10/lb, and sometimes half that. Their lobsters are fresh and lively, and better tasting than those I've had from other local sources. They have a high turnover on fish in general, and especially lobsters. They get their seafood from Fulton Fish Market in NY, according to their website. HTH

Jeff Heineman - in one post, somewhere - warned about buying certain types of one-pound lobsters that are dirt-cheap in stores, but have virtually zero meat on them. Does anyone remember where that post is? It's essential knowledge, I would think.

could it be as simple as softshells?

I've seen fresh trays of uni at H Mart in Fairfax and Hanaro Market in the Spa World shopping center (I think that's Centreville). They were either Chilean and Maine by the looks of them (i.e. smaller lobes).

Not great but I still bought a couple of trays. They were sold at a fixed price and incredibly cheap -- I want to say $9 a tray and I had no qualms about eating them raw.

I've seen fresh trays of uni at H Mart in Fairfax and Hanaro Market in the Spa World shopping center (I think that's Centreville). They were either Chilean and Maine by the looks of them (i.e. smaller lobes).

I tried Hanaro Market yesterday and after an image search on Google to show the fishmonger what I was looking for he informed me they only have it on weekends. I tried the Super H off of 66 and they didn't have it either. Today I was able to buy a tray at Hinata. $15 for 12-15 lobes.