Smashburger, A Colorado Hamburger Franchise Open In Multiple Area Locations

Smashburger is in Fairfax now, on Fairfax Blvd. - between the Fairfax Hooters and P.J. Skidoos.

Website and menu: http://smashburger.c...vd-marketplace/

AHT review: http://aht.seriousea....html?ref=thumb

I should have a review ready either tomorrow or sometime during the week, since I tend to breeze *by* that area but not necessarily through it.

This place is sort of like the Five Guys version of Steak n' Shake (big difference: they serve beer), and similarly, they use the "smashing" method of cooking burgers (if you couldn't divine that on your own -_-).

Pretty soon In-'n-Out will be FORCED to come to DC simply because *every other goddamned premium burger chain* will be here. -_-

I have tried to go there twice, once at 7:30 PM on a Wednesday night and 2:00 PM on a Friday afternoon. Both times we simply drove through the parking lot and left because there were at least 20+ people in line outside.

By the way, that parking lot is going to be a disaster (it already is). Not quite sure why it is so tough to build a parking lot for a new shopping center when there is TONS of space in the suburbs, but they managed to do it again.

• Like 1

I've been to smashburger several times in the midwest and I'd put it above elevation burger, five guys, good stuff and bgr and below shack shake and rays. Price-point wise its a good deal - burgers and fries/sides are a dollar or two cheaper than bgr or five guys for example and there are $3 beers that in my experience include a local 'craft' brewery. Burgers have a crust but are still really juicy and the 1/3 lb size is satisfying but not gut busting. I've tried and enjoyed most of the sides and they always seem to have some new vegetable that they are battering and frying. I wouldn't go to far out of my way for smashburger, but I'd say its one of the best new burger chains out there.

Okay, first visit, 10/22.

Walked in the door right around 7pm, finished taking my order @ 7:06pm...and I had my food brought out to me at 7:12pm. That's the fastest I've ever been served - I've waited for drive thru service that took longer. The parking is plentiful, but as jiveturk said, the lot is very poorly designed (a long single strip of diagonal parking spaces parallel to the shops gives very little room for maneuvering). The interior space is well designed with an acceptable amount of moving room, save for the limited space allocated for a queue - so those "20 person lines" are largely because from the entrance to the counter, a max of ~8 people could realistically fit.

Ordered a "Big All American" because I wanted to try their "Smash Sauce" on the side (I never trust 'secret sauces' on the first sandwich I eat). Went with an order of Smash Fries as well. Their sauce is supposedly a blend of mayo, mustard, sweet pickle relish, and lemon juice. I give them kudos for using something other than a predictable thousand-island base, but I can't say I'm a fan. The Smash Fries are very decent with their unconventional seasoning and are enjoyable without any condiments. Their "Veggie Frites" seem interesting, and I wonder if you could ask them to do a side order of frickles instead of keeping them a topping. Beer choices were disappointingly limited - if you're going to offer something as standard as Budweiser, it should be *on tap*, not in a bottle. Buying a "bucket" gives you four bottles for 9.99, and Stella Artois is a decent choice over the others offered.

The burger was exceptionally good for something that took six minutes' worth of prep. Taste-wise, it reminds me of *early* Five Guys, before their expansion and popularity forced them to do things faster. Unlike my experience with Steak n' Shake down in Fredericksburg, the patty held together fine on its own. The chief concern here was *grease*. If you're wearing work clothes or something nice, take extreme caution when eating here or you'll leave with a full belly *and* a grease stain somewhere on your person.

Also, it might not be listed on the menu, but there's supposedly an option to ask for a "Little Smash" in lieu of the regular and "big" size (1/3 and 1/2 pound pre-cook, respectively). So if you want to save a bit on calories, consider that. If you want bacon, you can also save a little bit by ordering their BBQ Bacon and Cheddar and asking them to hold the BBQ sauce. The bacon and haystack onions that come on it are $2.25 extra on any other choice on the menu for no increase in price.

Highly recommended - just plan your visit during an off time, if possible.

Stopped by on Saturday after filling our propane tanks in the event of a lengthy Sandy power outage. As noted above, there's room for less than a dozen people to stand in line before ordering inside, so we cleared an out-the-door line in under 5 minutes. Smashburger has a nice-looking outdoor seating area that was jammed, but there were several tables available inside, and we were visited twice after the food was served by staff inquiring how our meal was and once to ask if we'd like a refill on our fountain drink.

We ordered two regular-size Create-your-Own burgers, one with lettuce, tomato, swiss, jalapenos, and mustard on a "spicy chipotle" bun, and the other with tomato, grilled onions, pepper jack, "Smash sauce" and a fried egg on a brioche roll ($5.99), and added sides of Smashfries ($1.99) and Fried pickles ($2.49) (this answers Destruya's question above, and they are now listed on the menu).

Both burgers were juicy and flavorful. I love the combo of egg and burger (best thing you can order at McDonalds, but you have to get there right as they switch over from breakfast to lunch to order it), but the grilled onions were thin, watery, and flavorless and the pepper jack cheese oddly salty. The jalapenos were raw and thickly sliced -- next time, I'd probably ask if they can grill the jalapenos as these overwhelmed the rest of the burger. The fries were nearly-perfect: crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, shaped like those at McDonalds, but benefiting greatly from the rosemary-garlic spice rub. The fried pickles were also good - thick cut, round, filled with dill flavor, and just peeking out from the coating of batter. A side order that I would like to see at every burger house.

The beer selection now features the Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager and at least one other specialty brew, in addition to Bud and Stella.

Overall, I'd rate this better than Five Guys (at least today). If there was an In n Out next door, I might head there for the burger and then hit Smashburger for the fried pickles and a beer. But it's not going to get me to give up my Ray's habit anytime soon.

Overall, I'd rate this better than Five Guys (at least today). If there was an In n Out next door, I might head there for the burger and then hit Smashburger for the fried pickles and a beer. But it's not going to get me to give up my Ray's habit anytime soon.

I really don't get the In-n-Out Burger sentiment ... I've eaten at a few of them from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, and this chain is over hyped and over rated. Their burgers suck, and that goop that makes their fries all the rage is disgusting. Can we all please get over In-n-Out...?

I really don't get the In-n-Out Burger sentiment ... I've eaten at a few of them from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, and this chain is over hyped and over rated. Their burgers suck, and that goop that makes their fries all the rage is disgusting. Can we all please get over In-n-Out...?

+1

I think the I-n-O "thing" is just based on the whole notion that the East Coast "can't have it" coupled with the Chick-Fil-A-level of service that you just don't get around here. The fact that roughly 1/6th of the country lives in California also leads to I-n-O having a large and potentially loyal customer base that responds better to the storied level of service and the low-brow effeteness inherent in ratting off a 'secret menu' order.

In regards to Smashburger, though - I'm still not too enamored with the Smash Sauce, but I haven't tried it on a burger yet. And yes, the Frickles are now available as a side order, and unlike my first visit, the aforementioned option to "small-size" your burger is now listed, as well as doubling the patty for all sizes. That being said, I would advise against getting a doubled 'big smash' unless you enjoy eating with plastic utensils, or graduate to brioche over the standard egg bun.

Also, you certainly *can* take advantage of a loophole in the menu and get the BBQ Bacon and Cheese *sans* BBQ sauce, and then add all the "free" toppings of your choice to get bacon and haystack onions without paying $2.25 extra for them on another burger.

As another money-saver, there's a game on their website that leads to a coupon for a free side that expires 11/15 and has no limit on its value (meaning you could order any side, not just fries). Rather than waste time playing it, here's a direct link to the coupon itself: http://smashburgerbu...-november15.gif

All the west-coasters I know love In-n-Out, but when you discuss it with them, they go for the toppings, not the actual burgers. I've been to a few locations, and thought they were awful.

Ditto for Five Guys. The burgers themselves are horrendous -- overcooked patties, drowned in fat. If I cooked a burger like that, I'd throw it away.

So, driving down Rt. 29 today I noticed the now-closed KFC next to the Fairfax Outback is being replaced by "Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers."

http://www.freddysusa.com/default.aspx

Seems they're a primarily midwestern chain moving out east. And they're not even open yet, Don - don't make this post its own thread. -_-

AHT Review: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/04/chain-reaction-freddys-frozen-custard-and-steakburgers-review.html

So, driving down Rt. 29 today I noticed the now-closed KFC next to the Fairfax Outback is being replaced by "Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers."

http://www.freddysusa.com/default.aspx

Seems they're a primarily midwestern chain moving out east. And they're not even open yet, Don - don't make this post its own thread. -_-

AHT Review: http://aht.seriousea...ers-review.html

[Destruya! You know I have to split the thread! I am but a finite-state automaton, a Golem.]

Just to keep this on Smashburger topic, I think people might find this 15-minute video enlightening in many different ways.

Incidentally, I made a one-dollar wager with a friend that Smashburger, the company, will still be in business a year from now. (It was this person's idea, not mine - I don't see how a company with this much (at least perceived) forward momentum could go under so soon, but who knows?)

I have gone a few times now and find that my experience from trip to trip has been very consistent. The service is very friendly, especially for a fast food type of place. The burgers are good, the toppings generally well thought out and balanced. The fries are always hot and crispy, but way oversalted and greasy, greasy to the point of making your stomach churn. The onion strings that they serve are also way too thin, they are impossible to eat unless you just jam a bunch together and shove them in your mouth at once (not preferable for me). And, whatever sauce they serve with the onion strings is GROSS.

I will go back for the burgers and try some of their non-traditional fries, but I can't imagine ordering the fries or onion strings again.

We went last Saturday for lunch. The large patty size is almost comically large on the roll. The patty does get a very good sear. The downside is that the burger is rather dry. I had whatever the regular smash style burger is while my wife had one with just cheese and ketchup. Our opinion on the burger were opposed which leads me to believe that the toppings are key to make the burger work.

I didn't have any problem with over salty fries but I do like my fries salty. I though the rosemary and garlic added a nice flavor.

Another one opening mid-October in the row of shops in front of the Germantown Wegmans garage.  Had a chat with the GM since I happened to park in front of the construction site...these guys have been paying attention to the local midrange burger scene too.

Yes, the Germantown Smashburger has been open for about a month. I've been a few times and my favorite burger is the Mushroom/Swiss Burger (with Truffle infused oil). The Smash fries (olive oil and herbs) is just a little too "rich" to eat with the burger.

After being aclimated to prices at Nationals Park, I was pleasantly surprised that the Port City beers (currently Monument IPA and Essential Pale Ale) are only $ 3.49 a bottle (nothing on draft).

Looks like there's been a  CEO change at corporate.

There's a Smashburger opening in the same shopping center as (the slightly underrated, always friendly) Meat In A Box, Lee Highway in Falls Church.

The Elevation Burger less than a quarter of a mile away can't be thrilled about that.

That being said, I haven't been back to Smashburger ever since Freddy's opened.  It's never filled over-capacity, there's always ample parking, and the only thing I've ever had wrong with a burger I've eaten there is having it over-seasoned.

Hopefully this one will be better-designed (there'll certainly be more parking): http://smashburger.com/location/vienna/

The Elevation Burger less than a quarter of a mile away can't be thrilled about that.

That being said, I haven't been back to Smashburger ever since Freddy's opened.  It's never filled over-capacity, there's always ample parking, and the only thing I've ever had wrong with a burger I've eaten there is having it over-seasoned.

Hopefully this one will be better-designed (there'll certainly be more parking): http://smashburger.com/location/vienna/

I'm not so sure about the parking at Falls Church - I just drove by early this morning, and was thinking about this exact issue. That whole miniature strip center has a dearth of parking from what I recall.

This will take *some* business away from that Elevation Burger, but that place is often *packed*, and has a much higher capacity than I'd think this Smashburger will have. If Elevation Burger had stuck to their early promises of high quality, they wouldn't be threatened at all, but as it stands ... yes, they are indeed direct competitors - I didn't even think about that.

(Has anyone tried The Caribbean Plate right across Lee Highway? I keep wanting to, but just haven't made it in - it looks so ... so ... "bright" from the outside.)

There is a new location in Tysons, next to the new Walmart on Rt 7 that will also open this month.

Just when you start to think the market may be getting saturated.

I guess that ultimately, these places are gong to elbow McDonald's, Burger King, etc., out of business - sort of like what Starbucks did to Chock Full O' Nuts, Dunkin' Donuts, etc. I suspect even 7-11 sells a lot less coffee these days.

Just when you start to think the market may be getting saturated.

I guess that ultimately, these places are gong to elbow McDonald's, Burger King, etc., out of business - sort of like what Starbucks did to Chock Full O' Nuts, Dunkin' Donuts, etc. I suspect even 7-11 sells a lot less coffee these days.

More than likely, McDonald's will eventually buy them out and use their existing infrastructure to avoid having to build up their own fast-casual market.  Whether or not that'll come with a decrease in already variable quality remains to be seen.  The only reason it hasn't happened is that they haven't captured *nearly* enough of the market share for "Ronald" to take notice or care.

If someone (you can bring a +1) would like to represent the community at a Media Party, please write me and let me know. I'll need to RSVP for you.

YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO A MEDIA PREVIEW PARTY

As a new member of the community, we value your feedback and appreciate your support!

WHAT:              A media event to celebrate our grand opening. Join us for a multi-course tasting of our handcrafted, 100% Certified Angus Beef

burgers "“ smashed-to-order every time,  Smashchicken® sandwiches, fresh-tossed salads, hand-spun shakes and tempting sides.  There is a meal to satisfy any and every appetite.

WHEN:             Wednesday, December 18, 2013 @ 6-8pm ["The event starts promptly at 6," the email said]

WHERE:           Cornerside Blvd. & Westwood Center Dr.

1500-E Cornerside Blvd.

Vienna, VA 22182

I was at the media preview in Bethesda this past Tuesday.  I really enjoyed the burgers- very juicy and flavorful.  The smashing really works!  They have a very nice partnership with Honest Tea- the owner was at the opening- pairing teas with the burgers.  The event was very nicely done.  Lots of food and you really got an understanding of what makes this chain unique.  The veggie burgers are excellent,  which is not usually the case at burger chains. Overall, I am quite impressed with Smashburger. Someone really should go!

Incidentally, I made a one-dollar wager with a friend that Smashburger, the company, will still be in business a year from now. (It was this person's idea, not mine - I don't see how a company with this much (at least perceived) forward momentum could go under so soon, but who knows?)

I won.

Bethesda location last week and I came away with a similar feeling on value.  I liked my burger and sweet potato fries (burger was on par with Elevation - which I have found to be quite good).  The bite of my dining companion's chicken burger was tasty as well and certainly a less greasy way to go about things.

Time has wiped away my exact recollection of the cost, but I came home and told my wife that the burger was slightly better than Five Guys, but I don't see myself making a habit of going to Smash Burger.

There's a SmashBurger right acros the street from the movies. We're going to try it next time. Anyone have SmashBurger experiences to share?

If they would take SmashBurger's buns and put them onto Five Guys' burgers, all would be good in the world.

SB's burgers seem very similar to Shake Shack's...highly seasoned, a bit too much for my taste. Good selection of toppings. Their shoe-string type fries are a waste of calories.

• Like 2

Dunno.  I gave up on Smashburger after a few tries because whatever griddle char they were developing was overwhelmed by grease, grease, grease.  To me, this is the antithesis of Ray's ground beef, where choosing the ideal fats (max flavor, min grease) are an integral part of the formula.  Back in thin patty land, Five Guys does it better.

• Like 1

If the SmashBurger right across the street from the movie theater in Gainesville (part of a nice 'town center' development), can't succeed, the chain is doomed.

I took the kids there a few weeks after seeing a flick. Some things were good, other meh. Overpriced but not ridiculously so. A classic "average" eatery.

Smashburger will be closing in Bethesda.

Wow, this new building is not doing well. First, Roof and now Smashburger. I wonder if the Dunkin Donuts will survive.

Wow, this new building is not doing well. First, Roof and now Smashburger. I wonder if the Dunkin Donuts will survive.

Looks like Robert Dyer picked up your post and ran a story on the Bethesda location closing. Apparently, Smashburger is denying:

Smashburger marketing manager Christine Ferris says Smashburger is "not closing our location in Bethesda. We love the area and have no plans on closing that location in the future."

Looks like Robert Dyer picked up your post and ran a story on the Bethesda location closing. Apparently, Smashburger is denying:

Smashburger marketing manager Christine Ferris says Smashburger is "not closing our location in Bethesda. We love the area and have no plans on closing that location in the future."

Note my comment on the bottom of Robert Dyer's piece - I will take the punches for him if I turn out to be wrong (we've been in contact, and I have reassured him of this). I also sent out an APB and reconfirmed the information (however, I don't have a date, so only time will tell on the value of this news).

Note my comment on the bottom of Robert Dyer's piece - I will take the punches for him if I turn out to be wrong (we've been in contact, and I have reassured him of this). I also sent out an APB and reconfirmed the information (however, I don't have a date, so only time will tell on the value of this news).

UPDATE: SMASHBURGER: WE ARE NOT CLOSING IN BETHESDA

UPDATE: DON ROCKWELL: YES YOU ARE

B)

• Like 1

Freddy's just does these better, cheaper, and without the 'froo froo' factor.  It's also only a matter of time before Steak & Shake finds its way up [further into the Metro DC area than Fredericksburg] as well (I think the company that owns all of the current VA franchises is HQed in Fairfax)...and then I'm royally screwed because all of those are 24hr.

I think a lot of the 'fast casual' burger joints around here who wanted to bust into the market were doomed from the onset because we already had Five Guys and Elevation Burger.  The product concept wasn't new, and rising costs of beef and certain premium 'fixins' have made going to get a burger less fast and casual and more 'premium' and 'inconvenient.'

Freddy's just does these better, cheaper, and without the 'froo froo' factor.  It's also only a matter of time before Steak & Shake finds its way up here as well (I think the company that owns all of the current VA franchises is HQed in Fairfax)...and then I'm royally screwed because all of those are 24hr.

(I'm the only one who knows where "here" is.) :) - this is why I would love people to use real names and cities!

I think a lot of the 'fast casual' burger joints around here who wanted to bust into the market were doomed from the onset because we already had Five Guys and Elevation Burger.  The product concept wasn't new, and rising costs of beef and certain premium 'fixins' have made going to get a burger less fast and casual and more 'premium' and 'inconvenient.'

It was definitely shocking to me how quickly Smashburger expanded in this area without actually having really "succeeded" first.

That said, I'll always have a soft spot for them because the Fairfax location is where erin79 went into labor with our son almost two years ago!