Dining in Chinatown

Not sure why this place is ranked so high in the Chinatown section. Definitely belongs below the few decent Chinese options on the list, based on my (one) visit.

Because there's almost nothing else in Chinatown. I was there once earlier this year with goodeats, and we both agreed it was pretty darned mediocre - not bad, just mediocre. I guess I have more of a tolerance for mediocre Thai (thin, sweet sauces) than mediocre Chinese (thick, gloppy sauces). Let me know which Chinese places you think are better (although I can hear you rattling off Full Kee, Eat First, and New Big Wong as I type), and I'll definitely listen to what you have to say - I'm not opposed to downgrading this restaurant, especially if we can get a couple more data points; the problem is: what to move above it? These are definitely not restaurants I'm currently rushing out to monitor five times a year, but ... that's exactly what I should be doing, so please let your voice be heard - you have sufficient experience with Rockville Chinese and dim sum, and I respect your opinion. Another question: should Graffiato be in Italic? I think it's a borderline argument. When I ranked the restaurant #1 in Chinatown, I was (gently) accused of damning it with faint praise, and I don't deny that, though I think my review was quite thorough.

Proof (even though that might be considered a "suburb" of Chinatown).

Ken, note in the Dining Guide that I have Chinatown clearly defined as "northeast of 7th and F Streets," and Verizon center defined as "northwest of 7th and F Streets" including 7th Street itself (which is admittedly ironic since Verizon Center itself rests largely on the east side of 7th Street). Although this is an arbitrary distinction that I came up with, I detect a substantial difference in the nature of the restaurants east of 7th Street (take a look at the two lists - the one to the east still contains a few Chinese restaurants, and is primarily populated with mom-n-pop type places).

I understand that someone may disagree with this dividing line, but for the purposes of our Dining Guide, it's the one we use.

No problem with me. I spend 4 to 5 days a week in the Chinatown area (around 8th St), and with the exception of PS7's, Nandos, and (yechhh!!) Hooters, there isn't much. I'm afraid your initial post hit the high spots for 'good' Chinese in the area. Jack's (the only VIetnamese) and the Thai place upstairs from Jack's with no apparent name (but really good food) are now both gone. With the exception of Chopt (which does have good salads but not much else) every other food emporium in the area seems to have multi-locations in all the 50 states and corporate headquarters somewhere else.

A better heading for this thread might be "Attempting to Eat Chinese in the heart of Corporate Foodom".

I think you have it right above, Don. Full Kee, Eat First, New Big Wong, and Jackey all have a few things they do right, and some "just ok" stuff, but Kanlaya was so mediocre (and the service so atrocious), that I couldn't see myself going back unless there was a consensus on a few dishes that are stars.

Burma is, IMO, the best thing going in Chinatown right now.

I haven't been back in a while, but that was definitely my view too. (I should go back soon and get a ginger salad.)

Full Kee will still get me to visit when I'm craving shrimp dumpling soup, and their vegetables (snow pea shoots, baby bok choy, and the like) were always good and cooked just right, if perhaps a bit heavier on the oil than I like. But Burma is always my first choice.

Another place that's not on the list (and isn't Asian) is Irish Channel and 5th and H. Back when I used to go to Caps games.... it was a good pregame spot for beer and food. To me, food quality is better than Fado, which I understand isn't saying much. Would usually get a burger when it was the nightly special, fish/chips, or the fried chicken salad.

Wiseguy pizza at 4th and H is supposed to open Nov 15 and I'll try to stop by next week to check it out.

In Chinatown and in need of a snack, I stopped in at the Joy Luck Chinese Bakery, next to Chinatown Express at the corner of 6th and F. It appears to have been given a new exterior sign sometime recently (perhaps the interior has also been remodeled?). Left with a roast pork bun and a red bean bun, each $1.50 and on display in the bakery case. Not sure how much authenticity Joy Luck is going for, given that they label these items as "Chinese-style" on their to-go menu, but they were decent and filling. I warmed both in the microwave -- the dough was sweet and chewy and the ample fillings tasted "right." Not transcendent, but not as objectionable as most of the Chinatown glop -- and probably far better than the standard Chinatown lunch special noodle and rice dishes on offer. An assortment of these for lunch would surely be more interesting, and satisfying, than the sandwiches on offer at Corner Bakery across the street.

Burma is, IMO, the best thing going in Chinatown right now.

I got some takeout there a couple of weeks ago. Both their Kokang Chicken (chicken, sesame, soy, cilantro, ginger, garlic, onions, lemon juice) and their Sour Mustard Greens with Pork are absolutely delicious, the chicken particularly. On the other hand, we got a couple of noodle dishes as well (the Kauswe Thoke and the See-Jay Kauswe), which I found somewhat dry.

Next time I go, I'll have to try the ginger salad.

Funny this thread should pop up just today. We were at Full Kee tonight (a regular rotation spot for me for years) for their great dumpling soups and a very nice beef with sour cabbage...all before seeing a talk with John Mackey. If ever there was a polarizing figure in the food world, he is it.

Funny this thread should pop up just today. We were at Full Kee tonight (a regular rotation spot for me for years) for their great dumpling soups and a very nice beef with sour cabbage...all before seeing a talk with John Mackey. If ever there was a polarizing figure in the food world, he is is.

Call me pathetic, but before I looked him up just now, I knew of precisely two John Mackeys, neither of whom belonged in the context of your sentence: 1) John Mackey, the HOF tight end from the Baltimore Colts, and 2) John Mackey, the band composer known for such works as Asphalt Cocktail.

Now I know a third. Hey, hey, hey!

Call me pathetic, but before I looked him up just now, I knew of precisely two John Mackeys, neither of whom belonged in the context of your sentence: 1) John Mackey, the HOF tight end from the Baltimore Colts, and 2) John Mackey, the band composer known for such works as Asphalt Cocktail.

Now I know a third. Hey, hey, hey!

Could easily be his own topic here. A very interesting, unpredictable, important and controversial person in the food world to be sure.

Edited: Now is his own topic ;)