Bagels with Cream Cheese

Don, these guys have the solution to your perpetual problem about what to do with the second tortilla that comes wrapped in each taco.

Simply, they pile so much meat on each taco, that you can easily split it between the two corn tortillas, and still have well stuffed tacos. That means that you can get the two taco platter with rice, beans, and a soda, and land up with FOUR tacos and change from your $10.

That is sweet.

And absolutely related to my "cheapskate bagel-ordering strategy" which is to order two bagels, one with cream cheese; the other plain. I ask to have them both "split and heated," and in theory, this is the perfect way to get two bagels and cream cheese on the cheap. Unfortunately, places are on to this tactic - most recently Tysons Bagel Market which spreads such a chintzy amount of cream cheese on the bagel that, even though I interleave half of the cream-cheesed bagel with half of the plain bagel, the 'schmear' is so thin that it's not worth it.

Nor does buying two plain bagels (sliced, heated) with a little plastic tub of cream cheese provide a solution - the tubs are *so* expensive (around $4 to provide two-bagels worth of cream cheese) that it's prohibitively expensive to use this strategy as well.

If anyone has a better solution than either of these two unsuccessful ones, I'm game to hear it. All I want is two reasonably spread bagels without paying a fortune for them - I don't care if the layer of cream cheese is thin, as long as it's detectable.

If anyone has a better solution than either of these two unsuccessful ones, I'm game to hear it. All I want is two reasonably spread bagels without paying a fortune for them - I don't care if the layer of cream cheese is thin, as long as it's detectable.

Here's a solution:

Use a credit card that gives you hotel points. When you've accumulated enough, book a night in a hotel with a free continental breakfast. Meanwhile, take a coat with side pockets and line them both with wax paper. Also, clear a large shelf in your refrigerator at home.

When you go stay at the hotel, wear the coat with the wax paper pockets. Get dressed in the morning and put on the coat, and go to the continental breakfast area/shelf. Take two knifefuls of cream cheese and slide them into the pockets, pressing against your side to remove the cream cheese from the knife and deposit in the pocket. Do this discreetly and look at the knife like it is defective before putting it down for the last time.

Now go home and take off your coat. Carefully ball it up and put it on the shelf in your fridge that you cleared. Ideally, you've chosen a low shelf so the interior light isn't blocked too much.

When you want a two bagels with cream cheese, put on a fleece shirt and then pull your jacket out of the fridge. Now, go to your favorite bagel place and order two PLAIN bagels (the plain part is the key to the success of this operation). Upon receipt of your order, casually sit down and put one bagel into your left pocket, holding it carefully in a "gobble" position, like it is a pac-man going in to eat the dots. Use it to grab and scrape the lucious cream cheese from the inside of the waxpaper-lined jacket pocket. Now take the second bagel and repeat on the right side, carefully closing the bagel around the cream cheese. Put both back on the table and enjoy.

To really maximize this method, use your hotel-room-points credit card to pay for the bagels and the circle will be unbroken.

Here's a solution:

Use a credit card that gives you hotel points. When you've accumulated enough, book a night in a hotel with a free continental breakfast. Meanwhile, take a coat with side pockets and line them both with wax paper. Also, clear a large shelf in your refrigerator at home.

When you go stay at the hotel, wear the coat with the wax paper pockets. Get dressed in the morning and put on the coat, and go to the continental breakfast area/shelf. Take two knifefuls of cream cheese and slide them into the pockets, pressing against your side to remove the cream cheese from the knife and deposit in the pocket. Do this discreetly and look at the knife like it is defective before putting it down for the last time.

Now go home and take off your coat. Carefully ball it up and put it on the shelf in your fridge that you cleared. Ideally, you've chosen a low shelf so the interior light isn't blocked too much.

When you want a two bagels with cream cheese, put on a fleece shirt and then pull your jacket out of the fridge. Now, go to your favorite bagel place and order two PLAIN bagels (the plain part is the key to the success of this operation). Upon receipt of your order, casually sit down and put one bagel into your left pocket, holding it carefully in a "gobble" position, like it is a pac-man going in to eat the dots. Use it to grab and scrape the lucious cream cheese from the inside of the waxpaper-lined jacket pocket. Now take the second bagel and repeat on the right side, carefully closing the bagel around the cream cheese. Put both back on the table and enjoy.

To really maximize this method, use your hotel-room-points credit card to pay for the bagels and the circle will be unbroken.

You know, this would be entirely unnecessary if a plain bagel wasn't 99 cents vis-a-vis a "bagel with butter or cream cheese" for $2.39. I'm sorry, but it hurts paying that increment, not once, but twice.

When I was living at 40 Buswell Street as a freshman at Boston University, there was a little store-cum-lunchcounter place at the corner of Buswell and Park Drive. You went in there and ordered a bagel with cream cheese, and the counter guy would split a bagel, spread butter on the cut surfaces, and throw them on the griddle. When they were hot and toasty (and still buttery), he'd take them off, put a thick smear of cream cheese on one side, and then press the two halves back together. The final presentation was in a piece of wax paper. (I was very thin in those days, and young of course, so I could eat stuff like that without fear.)

So what you need to do is travel back in time to Boston in 1970. And you'll probably want to smoke some pot before you order.

I've had a cream cheese bagel only once out, at a dunkin doughnuts on route 1. There was so much cream cheese I was put off. Ended up throwing the mess away. I think it traumatized me because ive never paid for another. So if your looking for an over the top amount of cream cheese on the cheap, probably yer best bet.

---

Bethesda Bagels (New Foodie)

Easy solution.

Bagel Buddies in Fair Lakes.

Try the asiago bagel, toasted, with smoked salmon cream cheese.

No need to game any system. Tell Elissa I say hi.

I can't say anything about the cream cheese situation, but I agree these are the best bagels ever made. They freeze well, too.

Maybe I'll prompt some metaphorical hurled tomatoes with this declaration but Georgetown Bagelry on River Road is the only spot in the area with bagels worth a damn imho. I had high hopes for DGS' bagels. While I like the place, I though the "montreal bagels" weren't worth eating.

As for gaming the cream cheese, I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting what you want at Georgetown but can't be sure since haven't tried to do that. I'm a single (good) bagel with smoked salmon and a bit of cream cheese kind of person. But won't have a bagel if bad or mediocre so I end up rarely eating them unless I'm in NY, Montreal or a couple of other places here or abroad. Bialys? Never mind.

With apologies for being somewhat off topic. More a thread about how to get good cream cheese value with a double bagel purchase than about where to get good bagels.

I can't say anything about the cream cheese situation, but I agree these are the best bagels ever made. They freeze well, too.

I can't say that BB's bagels are the best ever made, but they certainly give you enough CC, or whitefish salad, to order a plain bagel on the side and have enough to cover both bagels (adequately).

I can't say that BB's bagels are the best ever made, but they certainly give you enough CC, or whitefish salad, to order a plain bagel on the side and have enough to cover both bagels (adequately).

I have to qualify my statement...The Asiago bagel by Bagel Buddies is a terrific bagel.

Here's a solution:

That is a splendid idea. I'm going for it. I appreciate the careful attention to detail with specific reference to balling the clothes on a lower shelf so as not to block too much light. Truly a carefully thought out plan!!!

Do you have other similar ideas for exquisite fine dining experiences?

That is a splendid idea. I'm going for it. I appreciate the careful attention to detail with specific reference to balling the clothes on a lower shelf so as not to block too much light. Truly a carefully thought out plan!!!

Do you have other similar ideas for exquisite fine dining experiences?

Nope!

That's it, I'm a one-trick pony. But what a trick, huh? Saved me $dozens.

What are you drinking?
I have to qualify my statement...The Asiago bagel by Bagel Buddies is a terrific bagel.

I think I was drinking a beer at the time, but please note that I qualified my comment after the fact (but before your curiousity about my BAC).